• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergiz

Hmm I think this is going to be my final choice.

8tlzCjXl.jpg

Piecake

Im tempted to give this a shot, but that subscription fee... That will just make me play a shit ton in the first month and probably quit, and thats not good, because I dont have the free time to do that.

If i did, I think Id go with a seadog monk or dune scholar. Probably seadog monk since those combos seem pretty fun. I could make a scholar out of her if i wanted to, though a seadog scholar just seems kinda odd

Oh well, its probably for the best because these games end up being a time sink for me. I'd give it a shot if it gets a free trial or goes free to play

woops, sea wolf

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Im tempted to give this a shot, but that subscription fee... That will just make me play a shit ton in the first month and probably quit, and thats not good, because I dont have the free time to do that.

If i did, I think Id go with a seadog monk or dune scholar. Probably seadog monk since those combos seem pretty fun. I could make a scholar out of her if i wanted to, though a seadog scholar just seems kinda odd

Oh well, its probably for the best because these games end up being a time sink for me. I'd give it a shot if it gets a free trial or goes free to play

woops, sea wolf

No offense, but I just don't understand posts like this. =/

WolvenOne

I think I might go back to Miqo'te. The reason I switched was because everyone was playing one but I shouldn't be making a decision based on that. I should be who I want.

I agree. While I certainly understand the desire to be unique in these kinds of games, disliking something, "because," its popular, has always struck me as being just as shallow slavishly following the trends.

Just, do your own thing, sometimes popular opinion will agree, sometimes it won't. Either way, in my experience you'll be happier for it.

Riposte

Did anyone see any market boards outside the city-states? It says they can be found within towns and city-states, but I can't really remember seeing them in any towns or not. Kind of iffy on this.

Pandacon

I don't mind the subscription, but I can understand people having a problem with it, since there is so many f2p games, not to mention cheap games in general. It can be hard to see the value in a subscription game. I personally have very little experience with f2p games, since the only 2 MMOs I ever really got into were subscription MMOs. But as long as SE pushes out the content, I'm fine. Hell, I could never keep up with content updates in MMOs anyways.

As far as the character creator goes, I like messing with it, but I had my XIV character worked out since 1.0 beta, and I'm overwhelmingly satisfied with it. Kind of an evolution of my XI character.

ffxiv2013-08-0522-22-58-28_zpsa3292cad.png
ffxiv2013-08-0522-24-17-85_zps54cd8a85.png
ffxiv2013-08-0522-24-18-40_zpse4b5fbee.png

Gonna focus on DRG and WHM like I did in FFXI, since they are the best jobs.

I play a lot of games, but I don't know what it is about this game, I have so much anticipation to play it, much more so than I ever have with other games. I don't even know why. I just wanna play it.

supergiz

I am getting really worried with the early access code. Just put in a preorder for the collectors edition pc version on amazon and then noticed this under the announcement for earlier access code.

Please note that the pre-order bonus codes are different for the Playstation 3 and Windows versions. Also, please be aware that the number of early access codes will be limited and distribution will cease when the limit has been reached.
* The pre-order bonus code distribution timing and method may vary depending on the retailer.

Kintaro

I dont want to spend an additional 15 bucks a month for a game that I already bought? It looks fun, but it simply isnt worth it for me at that price

You know...I had a rant coming, but it's just not worth it.

All I will say is, if you had no plans to play the game, why did you even post?

Ainaurdur

I dont want to spend an additional 15 bucks a month for a game that I already bought? It looks fun, but it simply isnt worth it for me at that price

Just sacrifice about 3-4 restaurant desserts a month, or one meal, or 2-3 fast food trips, or drink water 8 times... or many other simple things to equal $15 a month.

Actually, if you would be content in playing only one character per server, there will be a $13 per month option.

Piecake

You know...I had a rant coming, but it's just not worth it.

All I will say is, if you had no plans to play the game, why did you even post?

Because I am tempted, but I probably wont get it, but still felt like posting since Ive always liked the job class system? That's off-topic somehow? If you didnt like what I posted you could have simply ignored it.

I honestly have no idea why this is such a big deal to you since I didnt say anything bad about the game. Everyone places a different value on money and game enjoyment. I am incredibly cheap and like to be able to pick up a game whenever I want, and I dont want to spend 15 bucks a month on games to begin with.

Kintaro

Because I am tempted, but I probably wont get it, but still felt like posting since Ive always liked the job class system? That's off-topic somehow? If you didnt like what I posted you could have simply ignored it.

I honestly have no idea why this is such a big deal to you since I didnt say anything bad about the game. Everyone places a different value on money and game enjoyment. I am incredibly cheap and like to be able to pick up a game whenever I want, and I dont want to spend 15 bucks a month on games to begin with.

Nah, I'm good. Have fun.

WolvenOne

Ahh, the free to play issue.

I tend to look at it like this. I don't mind paying, but, for a lot of people its probably a bit too much. If it were me and I was making a subscriber game, I'd be aiming for something between five and ten dollars a month. People just, notice, fifteen a lot more.

As for free to play. Well, there are just so many failed mediocre F2P MMO's! It can work, but so many developers have just, done, it WRONG! In many cases, very wrong.

Kintaro

I can't decide between DRG or Warrior. I'm trying to get the Judge look a la FFXII. Maybe Paladin would be better?

Do both! Neither jobs look like Judges though. Those would be the Garlands. =) I wonder if we will eventually get their armor though...

Good looking Elezen there WonkyP.

Do both! Neither jobs look like Judges though. Those would be the Garlands. =) I wonder if we will eventually get their armor though...

Good looking Elezen there WonkyP.

Thanks!

It's funny, i've waffled between kitties, lalas, hyur, and now Elezen.

But, you know, I was an Elvaan in FF11 and i've grown to really like the Elezen design as time has gone on (wasn't a fan of Elvaan).

Kintaro

Thanks!

It's funny, i've waffled between kitties, lalas, hyur, and now Elezen.

But, you know, I was an Elvaan in FF11 and i've grown to really like the Elezen design as time has gone on (wasn't a fan of Elvaan).

I think the Elezen are much improved and great looking in this game. I think I'm in the minority, but that's cool. I messed with an Elezen female in Phase 3 and she was fierce and fun to watch.

WolvenOne

I can't decide between DRG or Warrior. I'm trying to get the Judge look a la FFXII. Maybe Paladin would be better?

Going with Warrior myself. Mainly, for the aesthetics of the Warrior armor, but also because I leveled up a GLD once before, and would like to try something a bit different during the early hours of the game.

MogCakes

Well this is My Miqo'te, I didn't like the dark skin at first but it grew on me

DdsaOm5.jpg
CAKBzMX.jpg

I'd say that's about as close to a unique snowflake a Miqo'te can get. Good job, he looks boss.

I'd really like to see the percentages for light-skinned vs dark-skinned players.

WolvenOne

Well this is My Miqo'te, I didn't like the dark skin at first but it grew on me

DdsaOm5.jpg
CAKBzMX.jpg

I almost went with that hair, but it I decided it was just a, little, too, over the top for me. Just a smidge.

Looks good on your character though. Helps that you're obviously using a far more flamboyant design aesthetic.

Edit: This reminds me. What sort of things are people hoping will be available at the in game salon?

I'm kinda hope they give me some, De-Bishifying options for my character, like, I dunno, stubble or something.

Bulgar

Neo Member
I almost went with that hair, but it I decided it was just a, little, too, over the top for me. Just a smidge.

Looks good on your character though. Helps that you're obviously using a far more flamboyant design aesthetic.

Edit: This reminds me. What sort of things are people hoping will be available at the in game salon?

I'm kinda hope they give me some, De-Bishifying options for my character, like, I dunno, stubble or something.

Im not the biggest fan of the hair options, I hope the salon gives us some longer hair options and a lot more facial hairs

WolvenOne

Im not the biggest fan of the hair options, I hope the salon gives us some longer hair options and a lot more facial hairs

Yeah, I suppose that is pretty much all they COULD do. Well, I suppose they could add something like a tattoo parlor type thing, for add/removing tattoos. Few of the tattoos I've seen so far really seemed worth while.

Looking at these poll results, it seems that the PUG/MNK seems to be the least popular. I tried all the classes available during alpha / beta to around 10-15 but never much further, and based on that I was looking toward this class as my primary one, but I'm surprised at the lack of interest. Is there something I should know (like is it needlessly complicated later on or lacking decent output or something) or just a general lack of interest?

Looking at these poll results, it seems that the PUG/MNK seems to be the least popular. I tried all the classes available during alpha / beta to around 10-15 but never much further, and based on that I was looking toward this class as my primary one, but I'm surprised at the lack of interest. Is there something I should know (like is it needlessly complicated later on or lacking decent output or something) or just a general lack of interest?

It's because the PGL/MNK needs a lot more effort to reach the same damage as others damage dealers.

You basically have to have grease lightning up all the time and mess up once you lose it all.

Anyways, PGL/MNKs are decent enough. Might even roll as one in phase 4.

Omnicent

I am getting really worried with the early access code. Just put in a preorder for the collectors edition pc version on amazon and then noticed this under the announcement for earlier access code.

just let them know. Thats what I did when I never got my code. They resent me the e-mail for my code.

It's because the PGL/MNK needs a lot more effort to reach the same damage as others damage dealers.

You basically have to have grease lightning up all the time and mess up once you lose it all.

Anyways, PGL/MNKs are decent enough. Might even roll as one in phase 4.

So balanced such that you need to play perfectly to be competitive. That's a shame but also should be fairly easy to tweak if it's really falling behind at least. I've played classes in other MMOs with similar sort of buff management mechanics.

I guess the big upside with the class system in this game is that in the event that you end up really disliking something you don't have to reroll and start from scratch.

N.A

Banned
Live Letter Schedule:

It is our pleasure to inform you that the seventh installment of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Letter from the Producer LIVE is scheduled to air on August 8, 2013, from 12:00 (GMT)! During the broadcast, Producer & Director Naoki Yoshida will be answering various questions from fans the world over. Be sure not to miss this opportunity to hear the latest information straight from the minstrel's mouth!
Date & Time
August 8, 2013, from 12:00 (GMT)

URL
YouTube Live URL: http://sqex.to/dYt
Twich: http://sqex.to/htj

For viewing on smartphones, iOS 5 or greater is recommended.

How to Submit Questions
Prior to the live stream, questions will be accepted in the designated thread on the official forum as well as the beta tester forum.

It is also possible to ask questions during the live stream. To do so, please follow the official FFXIV Twitter account (@FF_XIV_EN) and send tweets containing the "XIVLive" hash tag.

Themes
Beta test and the official release

Questions will be forwarded to Naoki Yoshida who will attempt to field as many questions as possible, and to the best of his ability.
* Please note that the audio will be available in Japanese only.
Those of you who are unavailable to view the live broadcast, never fear! All the questions and answers will be posted on the official Twitter account in real time. Furthermore, a Q&A summary will be released via the official forums shortly thereafter.

Will be on Twitch for the first time!

omlet

So balanced such that you need to play perfectly to be competitive. That's a shame but also should be fairly easy to tweak if it's really falling behind at least.

Two main reasons.

1) It's because you have to work for your damage on MNK because of the way the combo system works. Rotations and positioning are too much work for lazy players. Which is fine. It's what makes MNK fun. It doesn't need to be changed.

2) There's an ignorant misconception (at least based on beta forum discussion) that because MNK can't do burst damage like a DRG or BLM can that its damage in general is bad when the truth of it is is their damage over time is great and their overall damage is fine and in fact YoshiP said it (and DRG) was deemed OP in phase 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom