• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

V_Arnold

Awesome article. While I am not enjoying DMC fan's misery, I am glad that with DmC, we not only got a great action game, Capcom got to have a new franchise (Dragon's Dogma) AND Ninja Theory kinda learned how to make good action games on their own as well.

It is purely a win-win-win scenario.
Except for Uncle Dante. Uncle Dante can stay sad for a few more years.

hamchan

A fear based on nothing because Itsuno wasn't involved with Resident Evil in any relevant manner and if it wasn't for him DmC would have been the same garbage NT did with their previous games.

Well, Itsuno isn't a completely safe bet with his record being pretty much up and down with DMC2 being shit, DMC3 being fantastic and then half of DMC4 being great. Dragon's Dogma seems solid but it didn't set the world on fire either.

Well, Itsuno isn't a completely safe bet with his record being pretty much up and down with DMC2 being shit, DMC3 being fantastic and then half of DMC4 being great. Dragon's Dogma seems solid but it didn't set the world on fire either.

Itsuno was brought in really late for DMC2 and Dragon's Dogma was their first attempt in a new genre.

V_Arnold

DMC2 was not bad because of him. If someone creates something as great as DMC3, then yeah, he can pretty much be trusted, imho.

Risette

A Good Citizen
They sure do need 1.3 million to get their sequel cancelled by Sega though. Nintendo to the rescue, in a desperate bid to try and win over hardcore gamers!
Sega can barely afford to print discs. I think that's a bigger issue than whatever Platinum's are, who seems to be doing perfectly fine with Publishers That Aren't Sega.

Xater

Fans didn't like it and the new expanded audience is not big enough to make it relevant. Well this worked out great didn't it Capcom? They'll probably try again with a DmC 2 but if that doesn't work out the series is dead.

JoeFenix

Played it, beat it, and was thoroughly unimpressed. Hopefully they'll go back to the original series.

I doubt they'll drop the entire franchise, I think they will give DMC5 a shot before calling it quits.

Best thing that could have come out of this mess!

Damn. Shame they didn't put their marketing behind it. As a dmc fan, I was squarely against it until I actually played it and had more fun than my replay of 4. I want more DmC. Hope the PC version has long legs.

They sure do need 1.3 million to get their sequel cancelled by Sega though. Nintendo to the rescue, in a desperate bid to try and win over hardcore gamers!

If Sega didn't go through that huge restructure (and are trying to get away from big retail games in general) no doubt we would have seen Bayonetta 2 from Sega.

danmaku

There is absoloutly no doubt this is a direct result of the negativity surrounding the game. Its quite a shame really.

Not really. A part of the fans didn't buy it because they hated the idea of a reboot, but your average Gamestop customer never heard of that. He just walked into the store, saw that there was a new DMC game out and thought "oh, devil may cry? I remember playing the old ones, been there, done that; I'll get it when it's cheap".

This kind of attitude baffles me. Game is awesome; best DMC since the first one, and the best narrative the series has seen. People not buying it because, essentially the main character's hair, mystifies me beyond belief. Feels like the ultimate example of the negativity/whininess of gamer fanbases causing more harm than good, ultimately murdering any fresh attempts at quality.

Then they changed the character... why? If they didn't like the old Dante, make a new character. It seemed like that is what they wanted to do while suckering in some old DMC fans. This is also the first time I've spoke out about it; while I don't doubt some people whined, I spoke with my dollars.

Dave1988

I doubt they'll drop the entire franchise, I think they will give DMC5 a shot before calling it quits.

Best thing that could have come out of this mess!

That would be for the best. Though, seeing as this is Crapcom we're talking about here, I remain skeptical.

Gbraga

Well, yes, let's just go back to the lazy design of back-tracking half the levels like DMC4 did. Also the story where...well...something happened.

The story for the old series being bad doesn't mean this one is good. It's also horrible and it takes itself too seriously for how poorly written it is.

#demons

The backtracking is shit, I'll never disagree with that, I also hate Nero, so DMC4 for me is basically Dante's Bloody Palace: The Game, but the combat is leagues above DmC, that's undeniable.

Sega started scaling back their console development to anything that wasn't their best selling IP's. The fact Nintendo saw something on Bayonetta 2 (and PG to that extent) and that Sony ended the development of Heavenly Sword 2 and cut all ties with NT is more telling to me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
2 : 1 million sales is bomba now? Oh man this industry is hilariousssss
Why is that unusual or funny? Do you think one million is actually a solid showing for an established developer working on a long running series that has put up better numbers? These numbers are an embarrassment to Capcom.

Could it be that maybe people didn't find the game appealing without having some sort of deep seated agenda against NT or the western expansion of Japanese IPs?

Is it so bad that people don't like the look of Dante? For example, the original Predator starred Arnold Schwarzenegger close to his physical peak, it co-starred Jessie Ventura, Carl Weathers and Bill fucking Duke. A bunch of badasses. When I saw the trailer for the reboot with Adrien Brody and Topher Grace I thought, "Man, I don't wanna see this shit. No way it'll compare to the original." Is that so bad? Even on the limited information from the trailer, I got that the tone of the movie wouldn't be the same. If I liked the old tone and this wasn't the same, I don't see why as some sort of measure of my intellectualism, that I should watch it anyway to form some sort of 'valid' opinion. That's what a trailer is for, setting a tone in someone's mind, dropping the canvas in there with a rough sketch, something for them to go off of.

In relating that to this, a $60 product, if I can say, "Eh, maybe I'll catch Predators when it's on DVD. I'm not watching that in a theater" and that costs $10 to see, why the expectation that someone would drop $60 out of some sort of obligation to the product and its lineage?

Majukun

My oppinion : I liked the new dante more then the old shithead-i-dont-care-because-im-gay dante. The new game is overall better then any other DMC. Sometimes the socalled "die hard fans" are the cancer of gaming. Crying because nothing changes and crying because something changes.

so,because people don't have your same opinion,they are the cancer of gaming?

changes are not a good thing by themselves,if these changes made a worst game for the people who enjoyed the previous games,why they shouldn't complain?

because you are ok with those changes?

RangerX

Banned
Not really. A part of the fans didn't buy it because they hated the idea of a reboot, but your average Gamestop customer never heard of that. He just walked into the store, saw that there was a new DMC game out and thought "oh, devil may cry? I remember playing the old ones, been there, done that; I'll get it when it's cheap".

Yeah it could be that but God of War sells pretty consistantly and theres been plenty of those.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ezekial fired confirmed?

Game isn't terrible, but not what DMC fans wanted. Capcom, the masters of mismanagement this gen. Well at least they're still above water.

My oppinion : I liked the new dante more then the old shithead-i-dont-care-because-im-gay dante. The new game is overall better then any other DMC. Sometimes the socalled "die hard fans" are the cancer of gaming. Crying because nothing changes and crying because something changes.

really?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Hate to say I called it.

Not happy to see the game doing poorly since I want more DMC games but you can't piss off your fanbase and still expect the game to reach the same sales heights. People do actually vote with their wallet.

I gave DmC the fair shake and played the demo with an open mind, but it just doesn't cut it in my opinion. Hopefully they take the hint and do DMC5 now. It'd be pretty badass to have a game where they expand upon Nero's skill set/more weapons with the Exceed system.

Of course, what's actually gonna happen is typical Capcpom "no market for this franchise, drop it".

Riposte

How is old Dante "I don't care because I'm gay"? What does that even mean?

Sega can barely afford to print discs. I think that's a bigger issue than whatever Platinum's are, who seems to be doing perfectly fine with Publishers That Aren't Sega.

Based on what evidence? Do you know the sales figures for Revengeance, 101 and Bayonetta 2?

If Sega didn't go through that huge restructure (and are trying to get away from big retail games in general) no doubt we would have seen Bayonetta 2 from Sega.

Oh yeah, definitely. Nothing to do with the game not meeting sales expectations; it was that blasted restructuring that proved to be Bayonetta's downfall.

Sega started scaling back their console development to anything that wasn't their best selling IP's. The fact Nintendo saw something on Bayonetta 2 (and PG to that extent) and that Sony ended the development of Heavenly Sword 2 and cut all ties with NT is more telling to me.

What's telling to me is that Sega gave Platinum Games five chances on a myriad of different systems and all those times PG couldn't produce one money-maker. If only Ninja Theory were so fortunate as to work for a publisher that would allow them 5 bombs in a row before casting them away.

My oppinion : I liked the new dante more then the old shithead-i-dont-care-because-im-gay dante.

Wow, it's like reading the top comment in your average DmC youtube video, but in reverse.

Oh yeah, definitely. Nothing to do with the game not meeting sales expectations; it was that blasted restructuring that proved to be Bayonetta's downfall.

If Bayonetta 2 wasn't going to make money - Nintendo would not have picked it up. Also do tell me, what was Bayonetta's sales expectation (and budget)? Sega was pretty much rehauled during this time, your saying it had zero effect on what titles they were going forward with beyond their current deals?

I can understand how people could like this game more than DMC3 or 4. It's got a more malleable difficulty and a vastly different aesthetic that'll make it appeal to a different audience than the previous games. It's too bad for capcom that audience is smaller than the old one. They went from a game that appealed to international audiences, to one that is really heavily european influenced. Nobody should have expected that to sell more.

Not to mention the story and voice acting were complete crap and way below NT's previous games.

Out of all the reviews of it I've seen, Sessler's really hits it on the head. I really don't see what Shoemaker sees in the game at all.

Chakan

Should sell more. The game is amazing. Best DMC in the series IMO, if you play the PC version.

You hear me Ninja Theory? Port Enslaved to the PC so we can play it properly.

Endo Punk

God of War is kinda like the Call of Duty of the ganre: big, loud, dumb, and attracts a lot of casuals.

GOW actually puts thought behind its level design, music, set pieces and art. The attention to detail is amazing which you don't get with "dumb" games; Just look at that manticore dev video, it's just one type of foe yet SSM have put a lot of detail and nuances to the beast. That's the reason the games take 3 years to make, dumb games are made quick to cash in. So just becaues it isn't as deep as DMC doesn't make it a lesser experience, the game has its own priorities and creates a consistent feel across everything and is more about the the experience and sense of adventure.

GG-Duo

Could it be that maybe people didn't find the game appealing without having some sort of deep seated agenda against NT or the western expansion of Japanese IPs?

Is it so bad that people don't like the look of Dante? For example, the original Predator starred Arnold Schwarzenegger close to his physical peak, it co-starred Jessie Ventura, Carl Weathers and Bill fucking Duke. A bunch of badasses. When I saw the trailer for the reboot with Adrien Brody and Topher Grace I thought, "Man, I don't wanna see this shit. No way it'll compare to the original." Is that so bad? Even on the limited information from the trailer, I got that the tone of the movie wouldn't be the same. If I liked the old tone and this wasn't the same, I don't see why as some sort of measure of my intellectualism, that I should watch it anyway to form some sort of 'valid' opinion. That's what a trailer is for, setting a tone in someone's mind, dropping the canvas in there with a rough sketch, something for them to go off of.

In relating that to this, a $60 product, if I can say, "Eh, maybe I'll catch Predators when it's on DVD. I'm not watching that in a theater" and that costs $10 to see, why the expectation that someone would drop $60 out of some sort of obligation to the product and its lineage?

This. I think a large part of the blame should lie with Capcom and their marketing, positioning, and decision to change the image drastically. It would be a shame if the postmortem only focused on the gameplay developmental efforts. There's probably more perception stuff involved.

By the way, so Capcom tried to get Japanese studio to make a Western franchise (Dogma) and Western studio to make a Japanese franchise (DmC) and both bombed? That's rough.

Just because it shipped 1 million copies does not mean it's even close to that in stores. Capcom is amazing at massively overshipping games. But a 800k drop in the forecast? Yeah, this experiment doesn't seem to have produced the fruits that Capcom wanted.

Top Bottom