• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

Just because it shipped 1 million copies does not mean it's even close to that in stores. Capcom is amazing at massively overshipping games.

Copies from that initial one million shipment are going to be lingering in stores for years to come, eventually getting slapped with a 5 dollar "please buy me" clearance sticker.

Majukun

They sure do need 1.3 million to get their sequel cancelled by Sega though. Nintendo to the rescue, in a desperate bid to try and win over hardcore gamers!

for the Nth time...bayonetta 2 was not canceled because it didn't made money..sega was actually pleased with how much the game sold,probbaly because it didn't cost much to make it (you can see it by how many of the cutscenes were not animated to stay on budget).
it was canceled because sega was bleeding money (because of other games,probably madworld and vanquish were responsible in this case),so sammy decided to narrow to the extreme the number of franchise they were allowed to work on,including only the already established ones,like sonic,total war or football manager.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
GOW actually puts thought behind its level design, music, set pieces and art. The attention to detail is amazing which you don't get with "dumb" games; Just look at that manticore dev video, it's just one type of foe yet SSM have put a lot of detail and nuances to the beast. That's the reason the games take 3 years to make, dumb games are made quick to cash in. So just becaues it isn't as deep as DMC doesn't make it a lesser experience, the game has its own priorities and creates a consistent feel across everything and is more about the the experience and sense of adventure.
And still they have a competent fighting system in these games, which can't be said about most western beat-em-all/character-action-games/I-don't-know-how-to-call-those-games-anymore.

Oemenia

Banned
so,they changed developers,changed dante, destroyed a franchise and pissed off the fans,just to make the same numbers of bayonetta (at least for the first shipment),that didn't have a big franchise bihind?

well done capcom,well done
dmc_jesterClapping.gif
Oh noes they changed the colour of his hair, fuck playing the game that got such good reviews!

If Bayonetta 2 wasn't going to make money - Nintendo would not have picked it up. Also do tell me, what was Bayonetta's sales expectation (and budget)? Sega was pretty much rehauled during this time, your saying it had zero effect on what titles they were going forward with beyond their current deals?

Bayonetta 2 is an ill-fated attempt to lure the hardcore audience that Nintendo alienated with the Wii. Due to the Wii U being an already ailing system however, it's probably going to sell waaay less than Bayonetta. Bayonetta obviously didn't meet sales expectations, otherwise Sega would've leapt at the opportunity to create a franchise out of it instead of cancelling a sequel and putting PG to work on a new IP like Anarchy Reigns. And god knows what the sales are like for that game.

MechaX

Oh noes they changed the colour of his hair, fuck playing the game that got such good reviews!

Is this "you guys hated it because of his hair!" essentially the 2013 version of "you guys hated the Mass Effect 3 ending because it wasn't a happy ending?"

No, I don't think I do. Nothing about that sentence makes sense to me.

"I don't care" Dante refers to how Old Dante was super awesome and did not really care about anything going on around him (which... isn't exactly true, at least all of the time, but eh). "Because he is gay" is essentially him equating "gay" with "stupid" or something along those lines. Basically he's calling Dante a stupid character.

Skilletor

Yeah, we should all be slaves to metacritic instead of formulating our own opinions!

Why do people think the development costs of DMC and Bayonetta would be the same? I'd be willing to bet that Bayonetta selling 1.2 million made more profit than DMC selling 1.2 million.

danmaku

for the Nth time...bayonetta 2 was not canceled because it didn't made money..sega was actually pleased with how much the game sold,probbaly because it didn't cost much to make it (you can see it by how many of the cutscenes were not animated to stay on budget).
it was canceled because sega was bleeding money (because of other games,probably madworld and vanquish were responsible in this case),so sammy decided to narrow to the extreme the number of franchise they were allowed to work on,including only the already established ones,like sony,total war or football manager.

Iirc Sega said it was fine with Madworld's sales. Vanquish was the real problem, and Anarchy Reigns too.

Of they didn't let on this was team ninja, this would have sold.

Heavenly sword = bomba

Enslaved = bomba

Dmc = bomba

Ninja theory is becoming the new silicon knights

Risette

A Good Citizen
Bayonetta 2 is an ill-fated attempt to lure the hardcore audience that Nintendo alienated with the Wii. Due to the Wii U being an already ailing system however, it's probably going to sell waaay less than Bayonetta. Bayonetta obviously didn't meet sales expectations, otherwise Sega would've leapt at the opportunity to create a franchise out of it instead of cancelling a sequel and putting PG to work on a new IP like Anarchy Reigns. And god knows what the sales are like for that game.
Yes, because Nintendo really cares about the "hardcore" and not about making money. Lol.

Sega didn't have the money to continue Bayonetta 2 whether they wanted to or not. Do you or do you not understand this?

Endo Punk

And still they have a competent fighting system in these games, which can't be said about most western beat-em-all/character-action-games/I-don't-know-how-to-call-those-games-anymore.

Yeah I agree. People may like to downplay GOW fighting but it does raw and kinda barbaric gameplay really well. It just feel appropriate given the look of the character and the setting.

JoeFenix

Is this "you guys hated it because of his hair!" essentially the 2013 version of "you guys hated the Mass Effect 3 ending because it wasn't a happy ending?"

Anyone who pulls out the "hair card" at this point is mentally challenged. It's that simple!

Liamario

Banned
Can't say I'm upset by this news. Played the PS3 demo and apart from the fact it ran like poop, I just can't see passed the art style.
I don't want a western approach to the series (whatever that means) and I don't want the feel of 60fps either.

Riposte

IDK. Not playing a game because they changed hair color is dumb (thank god no one is doing that), but so is playing a game because it got good reviews. Why in god's name would I refer to game journos for an opinion on Devil May Cry?

Bedlam

I specifically loved DMC1 (fantastic level design that no other DMC game has achieved) and I have zero issues with the new Dante and his hair but I just don't dig the style of the game at all. What I mean by that is all the broken otherworld stuff and the shrill colors everywhere. It's visually too busy for my tastes.

What's telling to me is that Sega gave Platinum Games five chances on a myriad of different systems and all those times PG couldn't produce one money-maker. If only Ninja Theory were so fortunate as to work for a publisher that would allow them 5 bombs in a row before casting them away.

I doubt that Endless Space and Madworld were supossed to be multimillion sellers, and actually Sega extended the 3 game contract to make 2 more games with PG, so if they weren't happy with the sales of the first 3 games the wouldn¡t have done so. I'd agree that Vanquish probably wasn't a success, but again more than sales is the fact that NT spent like 4 years on a 5 hour game, burned $20 million in the making of it and at the end it got mediocre scores all over the place.

That's why Sony bailed the fuck out of NT.

As I tried to illustrate on the last page, dismissing something because you don't like the look of it is perfectly valid. This is media, not the Theory of Relativity. Not to say that the belligerence this game inspired was anything but childish, I'm finding your position equally so. People shouldn't feel any obligation to experience something just because someone told them to or because it makes them look ignorant or whatever it is you're trying to get at.

Harlock

Any type of game like DMC will sell few copies now. All Ninja Theory games were great. But the market for single player middle tier games is shit.

Of they didn't let on this was team ninja, this would have sold.

Heavenly sword = bomba

Enslaved = bomba

Dmc = bomba

Ninja theory is becoming the new silicon knights

issue is...
heavenly sword was meh allrite...
but enslaved was quite good..
and from what i'm hearing dmc isn't as bad as some gaffer are makint it out to be, rather is a serie reboot that while keeping the root has tried, for best or for worst, something different...
and that's about it..

Riposte

issue is...
heavenly sword was meh allrite...
but enslaved was quite good..
and from what i'm hearing dmc isn't as bad as some gaffer are makint it out to be, rather is a serie reboot that while keeping the root has tried, for best or for worst, something different...
and that's about it..

That was a beautiful poem. Thank you.

I would have bought a copy after the mostly favorable impressions after launch but it was the developers arrogance that made me think of buying a copy and so I didn't.

it was canceled because sega was bleeding money (because of other games,probably madworld and vanquish were responsible in this case),so sammy decided to narrow to the extreme the number of franchise they were allowed to work on,including only the already established ones,like sony,total war or football manager.

Yes, because Nintendo really cares about the "hardcore" and not about making money. Lol.

Sega didn't have the money to continue Bayonetta 2 whether they wanted to or not. Do you or do you not understand this?

So let me get this straight. Bayonetta didn't cost much to make and Sega were pleased with its sales (source?). Yet at the same time it wasn't considered a safe investment for them to greenlight a sequel so it was cancelled and PG were put to work on Anarchy Reigns, a new IP funded with money that Sega didn't have. Riiiiight.

Skilletor

This is a new angle for the reboot.

If you have a link post it pls.

It's what I believe, even if there's really no evidence other than 100s of capcom employees being busy with Dragon's Dogma. Of those 100s many of the core staff that made DMC3 and 4.

I think they wanted to get a game out in the franchise because it had been a couple years, but didn't have the internal resources to do so.

So let me get this straight. Bayonetta didn't cost much to make and Sega were pleased with its sales (source?). Yet at the same time it wasn't considered a safe investment for them to greenlight a sequel so it was cancelled and PG were put to work on Anarchy Reigns, a new IP funded with money that Sega didn't have. Riiiiight.

Or maybe Bayonetta 2 and Anarchy Reigns were being developed at the same time? Shit happened with Sega and sega said, "We're focusing on digital distribution only outside of a few of our biggest IPs right now," so Anarchy Reigns got denied a western release and Bayonetta was cancelled.

Monocle

so,they changed developers,changed dante, destroyed a franchise and pissed off the fans,just to make the same numbers of bayonetta (at least for the first shipment),that didn't have a big franchise bihind?

well done capcom,well done
dmc_jesterClapping.gif
Pretty much this. It's an unfortunate outcome that Capcom brought upon themselves by chasing the casual dollar at the expense of the fans.

Game is spectacular. I hope it picks up a bit otherwise I doubt we see any DMC games for a while. I'd love a sequel to this.

If by "destroyed" you mean fixed and made a great game, then sure.
You are deluded my friend. Enjoy the game if you will, but don't pretend the franchise needed fixing. DMC1 and DMC3 are outstanding, DMC2 is trash, and DMC4 is above average but flawed (and yet it still managed to be the highest selling DMC game). The series wasn't exactly in dire straits when DmC was announced.

This kind of attitude baffles me. Game is awesome; best DMC since the first one, and the best narrative the series has seen. People not buying it because, essentially the main character's hair, mystifies me beyond belief. Feels like the ultimate example of the negativity/whininess of gamer fanbases causing more harm than good, ultimately murdering any fresh attempts at quality.
Lolwut? There are still people who buy into this? You should inform yourself about the real reasons for the controversy.

Riposte

Anarchy Reigns was probably being worked on before Bayonetta 2. Moreover, you might be putting too much weight on interpreting vague actions.

This kind of attitude baffles me. Game is awesome; best DMC since the first one, and the best narrative the series has seen. People not buying it because, essentially the main character's hair, mystifies me beyond belief. Feels like the ultimate example of the negativity/whininess of gamer fanbases causing more harm than good, ultimately murdering any fresh attempts at quality.

"you've not been, paying attention."

The feel of 2 millions.
you have!

Well, I guess that about wraps it up for the Devil May Cry franchise.

Score another W for Capcom's western outsourcing

good luck in your future endeavours, Ezekial

Then where did they find that money to acquire Relic from THQ?

Sega (or rather Sammy) has the money, but they don't want to publish more console games that aren't very successful. Sega has been bleeding money and lowering down Sammy's earnings and so they are focusing on digital content and a few IP's.

Dave1988

Well, I guess that about wraps it up for the Devil May Cry franchise.

Score another W for Capcom's western outsourcing

good luck in your future endeavours, Ezekial

He can still apply for a job at NT! He'd be a better PR shill than Tameem, at least.

Blades64

Banned
It's a competent action game. It's not a competent DMC game though. I hold this series to a higher standard than what DmC put out...

pa22word

yes.gif

Deserved.

They took an ip that was at its peak commercially and destroyed it. This wasn't an RE4 type situation where the games had been declining for years commercially, either. DMC4 sold the highest in the entire series (2.5 mil IIRC), and you suddenly decide it's a great idea to alienate those people by rebooting the series for people who previously didn't give a shit about it? Hope you take those revised sales, put some salt on it, and choke that shit down Capcom--for you have no-one to blame but yourself for this one.

Majukun

platinum games is not a single team.
they work at multiple projects at the same time,so i don't understand what anarchy reigns has to do with bayonetta..the game was probably in concept stage while bayonetta was still in development (platinum and sega had a 5 games deal anyway).

Monocle

My oppinion : I liked the new dante more then the old shithead-i-dont-care-because-im-gay dante. The new game is overall better then any other DMC. Sometimes the socalled "die hard fans" are the cancer of gaming. Crying because nothing changes and crying because something changes.
Welcome to NeoGAF, enjoy your stay.

What I don't understand is how we constantly hold western games up to the genre kings (this game doesn't do cover as well as Gears of War, this game doesn't do shotguns as well as Call of Duty, this game doesn't do open-world traversal as well as Assassin's Creed, etc.), but the second you point out that Bayonetta has been out for years and DmC doesn't come close to it, you're supposed to just be quiet and give them the A for Effort.

Top Bottom