• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official iPhone/iPod Touch Thread: Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
layzie1989 said:
i have to say that that is the one thing that i've been waiting for since i started jailbreaking my phone...
Same here. I previously used GRiP (Growl for iPhone) but development has ceased on that. NotifiedApp isn't quite stable at the moment but I hope they keep at it

Firestorm

If you're lucky, you've got a backup saved from before you upgraded to 4.0 (you can select different backups from the drop-down menu). If you don't have a pre-4.0 backup, you're unfortunately out of luck—iTunes won't let you restore data from a 4.0 backup to your downgraded 3.1.3.
Ergh. I'll just have to deal with it until Apple fixes it or I get a new phone.

border

Ok so I downgraded to OS 3.1.3. It looks as though I lost my jailbreak/unlock, so I tried to do it again using the recommended technique -- letting a program called sn0wbreeze create a custom IPSW and then telling iTunes to restore from that IPSW. It doesn't work -- once the restore starts I get the generic "Error 1600/1601/1602 - Cannot restore phone" message.

Great. So now I'm stuck with an old OS, unable to use the phone because it's still locked. I figure there's some problem using an old unlock technique with a new baseband (5.13.04) and maybe there's just no way I can unlock a rolled back phone.

So no big deal, I'll just jump back up to iOS4 and unlock it again.....right? Wrong. Now everytime I attempt to restore using even a proper IPSW, I get one of the 3 main restore errors (1600, 1601, 1602). So I can't unlock 3.1.3 and I can't go back to 4.

Any suggestions? Have I completely borked the phone?

border

I can't even get past the first step anyhow. The tutorial wants you to go back to 3.1.2 using a Restore in iTunes. I can't restore any version of the OS using iTunes....it either hangs at the "Preparing iPhone for Restore" progress bar, or gives me one of the 1600 errors.

I tried skipping that since I'm already on 3.1.3, but redsn0w doesn't work either. It gets to the "The rest of this process is completed on your phone" step fine. Then the picture of the hard drive pops up on the phone and it says "Downloading Jailbreak Data" like it normally does. But before it finishes the phone just reboots back to the main menu with no Cydia or anything installed.

Blackhead

Redarse
border said:
I can't even get past the first step anyhow. The tutorial wants you to go back to 3.1.2 using a Restore in iTunes. I can't restore any version of the OS using iTunes....it either hangs at the "Preparing iPhone for Restore" progress bar, or gives me one of the 1600 errors.

I tried skipping that since I'm already on 3.1.3, but redsn0w doesn't work either. It gets to the "The rest of this process is completed on your phone" step fine. Then the picture of the hard drive pops up on the phone and it says "Downloading Jailbreak Data" like it normally does. But before it finishes the phone just reboots back to the main menu with no Cydia or anything installed.
Hmm... I thought Redsn0w automatically fixed that. It might be a problem with the iTunes version you are using. It could also that DFU mode won't work for you but iTunes recovery mode will. Let's backtrack to snowbreeze first though; try this:

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-1604-...r-jailbreak-iphone-3.1.3-ipsw-custom-restore/

border

Apple's site recommended yanking all non-essential USB devices in relation to 160x errors, and I rebooted the computer just in case. That seems to have fixed it. I think for some reason my phone thought it was on a USB1 cable and would just shit a brick everytime it started getting data at a slow speed.

redsn0W just got done installing Cydia, but I'll probably have to walk down to the library for a reliable Wifi signal to install an unlocking app. Is ultrasn0W definitely the one I should use for 05.13.04 on iOS 3.1.3?

eosos

Banned
If anyone still hasn't jailbroken their iPod here's a really simple way!
Just go to www.jailbreakme.com in the browser on your iPhone or whatever. It works on the new iPhones and everything.
edit - Whoops, looks like this was already addressed in the iPhone 4 OT, my bad.

MedHead

Charred Greyface said:
Which trade-offs would you make?
  • Make the iPod touch the same size as the new iPhone. The current touch design is too small as it is. I need a case to make it bigger to be able to hold it comfortably.
  • Give the camera a fixed-focus infinity lens.
  • Make the camera an optional accessory that attaches or connects to the iPod touch.

Also, iOS 4 on my 8GB touch runs horribly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have an iPhone 3GS with no SIM. It's running 4.0 and I need to hacktivate it so I can at least get it running. I don't know if it's unlockable yet but if possible, I'd like to get it unlocked so I can use it on T-Mobile.

Any help? I've been out of this game since I sold my older 3GS for my Nexus One in January. Thanks!

Chorazin

Bboy AJ said:
I have an iPhone 3GS with no SIM. It's running 4.0 and I need to hacktivate it so I can at least get it running. I don't know if it's unlockable yet but if possible, I'd like to get it unlocked so I can use it on T-Mobile.

Any help? I've been out of this game since I sold my older 3GS for my Nexus One in January. Thanks!

Jailbreak it. That'll solve all your problems.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Chorazin said:
Jailbreak it. That'll solve all your problems.
Not possible since I can't use the phone's browser. Unless I'm missing some way to side load the jb.

Chorazin

Bboy AJ said:
Not possible since I can't use the phone's browser. Unless I'm missing some way to side load the jb.

You don't have access to a mac or PC? You jailbreak traditionally using a jailbreak app, and then have the jailbroke software loaded via iTunes....

Well my 2g iTouch is broken. I've been having problems getting cydia to update the essentials today, as well as having freezing problems with sbsettings. I decided just to not mess with cydia for a while. I heard that their servers were getting hammer or something. But, today I got a text push message on my iTouch from the TextFree app. I unlock the device and wait for the app to load up to read the full message. It takes a while to even start up, so i put the iPod down and do something else. I come back to the iPod and try to turn it on, doesnt even respond. I cannot get it to start up either by pressing power or holding power. I even tried plugging it into my computer, no response. What should I do?

Blackhead

Redarse
Critical Jeff said:
Well my 2g iTouch is broken. I've been having problems getting cydia to update the essentials today, as well as having freezing problems with sbsettings. I decided just to not mess with cydia for a while. I heard that their servers were getting hammer or something. But, today I got a text push message on my iTouch from the TextFree app. I unlock the device and wait for the app to load up to read the full message. It takes a while to even start up, so i put the iPod down and do something else. I come back to the iPod and try to turn it on, doesnt even respond. I cannot get it to start up either by pressing power or holding power. I even tried plugging it into my computer, no response. What should I do?

A friend had that happen once on an iPhone 3GS. He almost gave up home then 3 days later he plugged it into the wall charger and it started working again. Or you could take it to the Apple Store. If it can't be turned on they can't check it for a jalibreak, can they? ;) If it's still under warranty there shouldn't be a reason for them not to replace it for you--unless it has water damage or a cracked back or something obviously broken...

hyp said:
so the package available on cydia right now is just the "free" version? is that why the lock screen notifications are missing?
Yeah, I guess their 'pro' update got lost in all the brouhaha over the iPhone 4 jailbreak. I'm not sure whether the notifications will be directly or the lockscreen (like lockinfo) or you'll merely be able to call down the notifications pane on the lockscreen (like Android). I'll buy it once it's out and post here

freshair

Bboy AJ said:

Was it a brand new / restored iPhone previously on ATT? I think you need to use an authentic ATT sim card (any will do i believe) to get passed the Emergency screen and have access to the browser.

hyp

Charred Greyface said:
Yeah, I guess their 'pro' update got lost in all the brouhaha over the iPhone 4 jailbreak. I'm not sure whether the notifications will be directly or the lockscreen (like lockinfo) or you'll merely be able to call down the notifications pane on the lockscreen (like Android). I'll buy it once it's out and post here

i'd gladly pay for the pro version if they do have a nice way to show notifications on the lock screen. not a big fan of lockinfo, notified looks a lot nicer imo.

Charred Greyface said:
Please do. Looking forward to hearing your take. Also, if you wouldn't mind posting when the pro version does go up. It seems to do what I want.

RPS37

I find 4.0 to be really unstable, but I've been holding off on updating to 4.0.1.
Should I just install it already or is it not going to really fix anything anyway?

Bboy AJ

freshair said:
Was it a brand new / restored iPhone previously on ATT? I think you need to use an authentic ATT sim card (any will do i believe) to get passed the Emergency screen and have access to the browser.
I guess I'll have to bum one off of somebody. Thanks.

Chorazin: The new jb is an online thing.

okay my ipod started up again. But it freezes SO MUCH its really getting on my nerves. Can I just download 3.1.xx firmware and restore in iTunes or do I have to do some fanagling?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
eosos said:
If anyone still hasn't jailbroken their iPod here's a really simple way!
Just go to www.jailbreakme.com in the browser on your iPhone or whatever. It works on the new iPhones and everything.
edit - Whoops, looks like this was already addressed in the iPhone 4 OT, my bad.
My iPod got SO fucked up after using this jailbreak in combination with using AptBackup to restore all my cydia apps. Be wary if any of you guys are using AptBackup before and after the upgrade and jailbreak. Since a lot of things (like Winterboard's default transparent dock option) aren't compatible with iOS4. Most of the problems came from the restore of the Cydia apps though.

For real I've diagnosed and solved like 4 different issues but now its all good.

RPS37 said:
I find 4.0 to be really unstable, but I've been holding off on updating to 4.0.1.
Should I just install it already or is it not going to really fix anything anyway?
Just do it, it may just do something in the new install. Though the only difference between the two is that 4.0.1 has better signal display capabilities. If your already jailbroken though you will have to go through the process of reinstalling all Cydia apps.

The step most likely to fix the issue is a full restore, but I know a lot of people are reluctant to do that (me included).

Jeramii

Banned
i have a question regarding carrier unlocking the iPhone 3G S. i know how and what i'll need to do to get it set up for my old iPhone (which i am giving my lady for her to use on t-mobile).

but my question is. she has a basic t-mobile phone plan, no data or anything at all. if she tries to get on the internet using her blackberry it will tell her that she needs to register for a data plan.

when i get her the iPhone up and running, will it still pop this up through safari? or will we be required to add the data plan.

we don't want data unless on wifi. she just needs a new phone her blackberry is near death. does this make sense? anyone know?

thanks.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jeramii said:
i have a question regarding carrier unlocking the iPhone 3G S. i know how and what i'll need to do to get it set up for my old iPhone (which i am giving my lady for her to use on t-mobile).

but my question is. she has a basic t-mobile phone plan, no data or anything at all. if she tries to get on the internet using her blackberry it will tell her that she needs to register for a data plan.

when i get her the iPhone up and running, will it still pop this up through safari? or will we be required to add the data plan.

we don't want data unless on wifi. she just needs a new phone her blackberry is near death. does this make sense? anyone know?

thanks.

Apple added a data toggle for iOS4 (it's in the Settings app). Turn that off. Turn off 3G. Turn on WiFi and you should be good to go.

Blackhead

Redarse
MedHead said:
  • Make the iPod touch the same size as the new iPhone. The current touch design is too small as it is. I need a case to make it bigger to be able to hold it comfortably.
  • Give the camera a fixed-focus infinity lens.
  • Make the camera an optional accessory that attaches or connects to the iPod touch.

Also, iOS 4 on my 8GB touch runs horribly.
But if the iPod Touch is too big for others they have no way to make it smaller while you have the option of using a case to make the iPod Touch seem bigger. A large part of the iPod Touch's allure is how small it is. If it's the same size as an iPhone 4 why not buy a used iPhone out contract instead?

Making the camera an external attachment is actually a great idea but I'm not sure how feasible that is. I wouldn't mind Apple taking a leaf from Motorola, i.e looking at their Droid X, by making most of the body thin and then bloating the end with the camera. I'd like to eat my cake and have it.

What is a good app for book reading? And can you add your own books? Like in PDF or TXT format?
Also what format does Kindle app uses?

I finally decided to restore my iTouch. The jailbreak was slowing the iPod down. It freezed on twitter, fb, safari, settings, sbsettings. It was getting way too annoying. I can do without multitasking and backgrounds. And sbsettings and activator :(

Melhisedek said:
What is a good app for book reading? And can you add your own books? Like in PDF or TXT format?
Also what format does Kindle app uses?

I use Stanza. Tried the others and none where as good. Doesn't handle PDF's great but then few things do I find. You can buy books straight from the app or transfer pretty much any book type from your PC to the iPhone.

Critical Jeff said:
I finally decided to restore my iTouch. The jailbreak was slowing the iPod down. It freezed on twitter, fb, safari, settings, sbsettings. It was getting way too annoying. I can do without multitasking and backgrounds. And sbsettings and activator :(

I restored and jailbroke with jailbreakme.com. Instead of enabling apples multitasking, I decided to use backgrounding. SO much better, apps dont freeze, the springboard doesnt lag. Its so much better. All I need now is infinifolders.

Hey guys,
I'm going to be taking a road trip here shortly and my CD player in my car just fucked up. I don't have an AUX port on the player, so I am looking at other possibilities. Does anyone have an FM tuner or the tape deck thing, so I can listen to music from my iPhone in my car? I'd like to buy one ASAP--thanks!

Chorazin

Mr. Snrub said:
Hey guys,
I'm going to be taking a road trip here shortly and my CD player in my car just fucked up. I don't have an AUX port on the player, so I am looking at other possibilities. Does anyone have an FM tuner or the tape deck thing, so I can listen to music from my iPhone in my car? I'd like to buy one ASAP--thanks!

Any old headset to tape deck adapter should do you fine, and be cheaper than an FM adapter.

AirBrian

Mr. Snrub said:
Hey guys,
Definitely go with a tape adapter over an FM transmitter -- the sound difference will be night and day. Also, turn your iPhone volume to somewhere between 50% and 75% and then just use your car deck volume. If you go any higher you'll get some distortion. Of course, YMMV depending on the car deck.

Blackhead

Redarse
rc213 said:
http://www.redmondpie.com/activate-iphone-4-3gs-3g-without-original-sim-video/

That should probably help you out, I tried it and it worked.
There are some problems with it (Apple fucking it up again). More here on the fix:
sherif_hashim said:
RT @dtube we put up some info here http://is.gd/e5uFh -- thx @dtube a good legit place to revive your phonebook activation :)
about 5 hours ago via Twitterrific

Can we discuss the rumors for the next iPod (Touches) here? It's probably a bit too soon to ask RubxQub to make the September event thread...

Septimus

Hey sorry if this has been asked to death, but if I have a 3GS jailbroken the old way with blackra1n (3.1.2), can I just upgrade to iOS 4.0(or .1) and use jailbreakme.com?

SickBoy

Did a search and didn't see much.. but does anyone know the deal with the Free App a Day app?

Pretty high on the charts and lots of good ratings, but I'm not sure what it *does* other than tell you info you can get elsewhere.

SickBoy said:
Did a search and didn't see much.. but does anyone know the deal with the Free App a Day app?

Pretty high on the charts and lots of good ratings, but I'm not sure what it *does* other than tell you info you can get elsewhere.
I mainly use it for easy access to the latest free app. Sure, you could use the site, but the app works just fine and is generally faster.

freshair

Septimus said:
Hey sorry if this has been asked to death, but if I have a 3GS jailbroken the old way with blackra1n (3.1.2), can I just upgrade to iOS 4.0(or .1) and use jailbreakme.com?

Yes, that's exactly how I did it. Just update your itunes to the latest version, backup your phone and just click 'upgrade'.

The great thing about jailbreakme is that my phone no longer requires tethered rebooting ^__^

numble

Charred Greyface said:
iPod Touch Rumor/Confirmation

Fuck yeah. 5MP camera with flash I hope (probably 3MP). I'll be happy to sell my iPhone 4 and put the money towards the iPod Touch (and the forthcoming webos phones I'm still hoping for).
I'm really not convinced they'll be able to offer 2 cameras along with the retina display, upgraded processor/RAM, and the gyros, and still sell at the current price points--especially since they'll be giving a $200 discount on these 7 months after release (back to school discount).

But hopefully it will be true. I'm expecting at least 1 camera though.

Septimus

freshair said:
Yes, that's exactly how I did it. Just update your itunes to the latest version, backup your phone and just click 'upgrade'.

The great thing about jailbreakme is that my phone no longer requires tethered rebooting ^__^
Will this erase all my custom stuff though? Like themes, emulators, etc?

Futureman

I thought iPod warranties were only like 90 days or something?

I just got an email saying my 1-year iPod warranty was about to expire and if I wanted to sign up for Applecare.

My iPod earbuds JUST kicked the bucket like a month ago, but I just threw them away as I thought the warranty was only 90 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom