• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Address the Sess - Machinima/MS YT Scandal with Leaker, TotalBiscuit, J Schreier

I think the FTC needs to nail all of them to the wall and make it perfectly clear why.

This has nothing to do with ethics or anything. It is against the law and shouldn't have to be worried about in the first place which is why the law exists so you don't have to worry about it.
Sounds like not only do gamers need to worry about it but to expect it.

Occam

I'll ask again, because I just don't get it, what is Sessler's appeal? He is neither insightful and articulate, and he seems to want to steer the conversation to meet his narrative. Microsoft dug their claws DEEP into this man.

I don't know Sessler very well and haven't seen many of his videos, but watching this right now he simply doesn't appear to be all that bright. I don't get the appeal, either; at least for me it's a bit annoying to listen to him.

EDIT: Jason Schreier is cool, though.

HariKari

What was this incident they are talking about that changed the industry? Guy starts with a G. I have no idea how to spell or even say that name.

Gamespot was pressured by advertisers to pull/change a review made by one Jeff Gerstmann over Kane and Lynch. They did or tried to, and a lot of people quit in protest. It was a big scandal at the time.

Now you can just write a $750,000 check and create your own gaming outlet ala Polygon, so corporations have adapted.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What was this incident they are talking about that changed the industry? Guy starts with a G. I have no idea how to spell or even say that name.

Gerstmann? He worked at gamespot, gave Kane & Lynch: Dead Men a poor review while it had full site ads plastered all over and got fired for it.

TheD

The Detective
I think the FTC needs to nail all of them to the wall and make it perfectly clear why.

This has nothing to do with ethics or anything. It is against the law and shouldn't have to be worried about in the first place which is why the law exists so you don't have to worry about it.
Sounds like not only do gamers need to worry about it but to expect it.

Yep, every single one should get the max penalty.
That would scare dumb youtubers away from crap like this.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm glad we're getting to the heart of this. And that's the pitiful CPM rate and the pay cap of all things.

It should be illegal.

CPM from this point on stands for Cunts Paying Money.

Because they are Cunts, period.

tsumineko

Michael: To a lot of these people, $3 is really good, they jump on it without reading the contract.
Sessler: Hire a lawyer to read the contract.

Yeah. Like someone who thinks $3 is great can afford that.

Jeff Gerstmann, former editorial director of Gamespot. He was dismissed from the site, and the rumour was that Gamespot execs pressured Gerstmann to make the review of Kane & Lynch more positive in light of the fact that Eidos paid for significant advertising on the site.

He went on to start a little-known website called Giant Bomb, which eventually got acquired by CBS, who also owns... Gamespot. When he came back onboard, him and then-director John Davidson (who was at 1UP at the time of Gerstmann's dismissal) had a truth and reconciliation livestream where they discussed some of the events surrounding his dismissal and what would happen at CBS to prevent similar pressures from being brought to bear.

JASONS BACK!

The-Immortal-Jason-Voorhees-jason-voorhees-23112696-1600-1200.jpg

PhatSaqs

Banned
Michael: To a lot of these people, $3 is really good, they jump on it without reading the contract.

He said if you can afford it...and that's unreasonable advice.

JABEE

Did Eric just admit execs try to persuade PR people to try and influence journalists?
That's their job. That's why press are given gifts and meals. It's why it is most likely encouraged that PR befriend press and ask them out for drinks. It's the reason that PR puts tries to place demos in environments around pretty women and drinks. Anything that can influence press is taken into consideration.

Press kits to make the reviewer feel important. Review guides to make writing reviews easier for press by following PR's checklist of selling points and buzz words. Etc

Gerstmann? He worked at gamespot, gave Kane & Lynch: Dead Men a poor review while it had full site ads plastered all over and got fired for it.

Gamespot was pressured by advertisers to pull/change a review made by one Jeff Gerstmann over Kane and Lynch. They did or tried to, and a lot of people quit in protest. It was a big scandal at the time.

Now you can just write a $750,000 check and create your own gaming outlet ala Polygon, so corporations have adapted.

Oh wow! Absolutely crazy. Thanks guys. Well it seems now that these same companies are trying to find a different way to do the same bs practices.

TheD

The Detective
TB should grow some damn balls and call Sess out on the crap about the guidelines not being updated!

styl3s

Why was ReconXBL's twitter suspended? MS going after him?

Just started watching 10 minutes ago from the start. Had no idea who this guy was and googled his name to see who he was and noticed his twitter was shut down.

To be fair, that's really the only solution here. Contracts are deliberately written to abuse people who wouldn't understand them fully, you need a lawyer.

bluehat9

Sessler used to seem to know what he was talking about when it came to reviewing a game. Everything else he talks about now? Well, I don't listen to him at all anymore.

So why don't these machinia youtubers just break their contracts?

I'm sure they will face no penalty since the contract is most likely grossly unfair.

People need to learn their legal rights.

NoPiece

The PR guy has a ton of industry experience..

Erik Reynolds

Honored PR - Consultant
October 2013 – Present
Electronic Arts - Sr. Director Public Relations - EA Maxis
June 2011 – September 2013
Atari - Sr. Director of Public Relations
August 2010 – July 2011
Media Relations and Game Design Consultant
April 2009 – August 2010
Global PR Director - Vivendi Universal Games
April 2005 – October 2008
THQ - PR Manager
2002 – 2004
Account Executive - Golin/Harris International
1999 – 2002

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Sessler said "If you can hire a lawyer"

"If you can"

tsumineko

To be fair, that's really the only solution here. Contracts are deliberately written to abuse people who wouldn't understand them fully, you need a lawyer.

Then how about the people writing the contracts make things clear for these poor content creators, so they don't have to afford a lawyer.

styl3s

Or read the contract and use common sense.

If you think $3 per that many views is good money that's your fault for not thinking it through. Although i agree they can't afford a lawyer i assume they know how to read, use common sense and google a few words they don't understand. It's amazing how many people will sign something without reading when money is involved. It's a stupid and irresponsible thing to do.

I bet Erik is cringing at Totalbiscuits response. Bet he loves youtube personalities who are try to be your friend

TOTALBISCUIT CORRECTING SESSLERS PREVIOUS FTC QUIP

6 months ago FTC regulations updated

Jeff Gerstmann, former editorial director of Gamespot. He was dismissed from the site, and the rumour was that Gamespot execs pressured Gerstmann to make the review of Kane & Lynch more positive in light of the fact that Eidos paid for significant advertising on the site.

He went on to start a little-known website called Giant Bomb, which eventually got acquired by CBS, who also owns... Gamespot. When he came back onboard, him and then-director John Davidson (who was at 1UP at the time of Gerstmann's dismissal) had a truth and reconciliation livestream where they discussed some of the events surrounding his dismissal and what would happen at CBS to prevent similar pressures from being brought to bear.

Thanks for this. So he's in a better position, just elbow to elbow with his past employer. Not bad, but at least he created a better place that gamers can get honest news from. But what was the change that happened at CBS?

Oh man Sessler assuming the reaction of the internet is just because of the deal coming forward not the real issue of the nondisclosure bit

Wow

biRdy

Then how about the people writing the contracts make things clear for these poor content creators, so they don't have to afford a lawyer.
yes lets ll be nice, ha this happens to every contract. Just because they are just youtubers isn't going to make dumb downed contracts.

nib95

Banned
The PR guy has a ton of industry experience..

Erik Reynolds

Honored PR - Consultant
October 2013 – Present
Electronic Arts - Sr. Director Public Relations - EA Maxis
June 2011 – September 2013
Atari - Sr. Director of Public Relations
August 2010 – July 2011
Media Relations and Game Design Consultant
April 2009 – August 2010
Global PR Director - Vivendi Universal Games
April 2005 – October 2008
THQ - PR Manager
2002 – 2004
Account Executive - Golin/Harris International
1999 – 2002

Lol. When he spoke of EA, he referred them as "we", so no doubt he feels pretty close to the company and has close business connections.

On a side note, liking the discussion from TotalBiscuit and Jason.

Top Bottom