• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders SuperChargers |OT|

mXmWtlN.png

• Available for: Wii | Wii U | Xbox 360 | PS3 | Nintendo 3DS | Xbox One | PS4 | iPad & Apple TV
  • Current Gen Devloped by Vicarious Visions | Past Gen developed by Vicarious Visions | iPad & Tablet Version Developed by Vicarious Visions | 3DS and Wii Version Developed by Beenox

"Skylands is in peril! Kaos has unleashed his most evil weapon yet — the Doom Station of Ultimate Doomstruction. All of Skylands stands on the verge of collapse, and a special team, called the SuperChargers, has been assembled to pilot an unstoppable fleet of incredible vehicles. Now you and the SuperChargers must pilot these powerful vehicles over land, under sea, and through the sky to stop Kaos and save Skylands!"

All your previous characters will work with Skylanders Superchargers. Each of the new Supercharged Characters have a corresponding vehicle they can be paired with to create a Supercharged Combo and increase the potency of their attacks. Note that the new Supercharged versions of returning characters (like Trigger Happy and Jet Vac) will not work with previous games.
---------------------------------------------------------------
zyEy550.png

There's a grand total of EIGHT Different Starter Packs to choose from!

Regular Starter Pack:
1 New SuperCharger (Spitfire)
1 Reposed SuperCharger (Super Shot Stealth Elf)
1 Skylander Vehicle (Hot Streak)
1 New portal of power
1 Character Poster

Portal Owner's Pack
-Digital release
-$49.99
-Includes one (digital) Skylander: Instant Hot Streak
-Includes one (digital) vehicle: Instant Spitfire
-Can use any old portal, but the one from the first game won't allow to use co-op or multiplayer using Swap Force characters.

Wii U Starter Pack:
1 New SuperCharger (Turbo Charge Donkey Kong)
1 Skylander Vehicle (Barrel Blaster)
1 New portal of power
1 Character Poster

Wii Starter Pack:
1 New SuperCharger (Hammer Slam Bowser)
1 Skylander Vehicle (Clown Cruiser)
1 New portal of power
1 Character Poster

3DS Starter Pack:
1 New SuperCharger (Hammer Slam Bowser)
1 Skylander Vehicle (Clown Cruiser)
1 New portal of power
1 Character Poster

Regular Dark Starter Pack:

1 New SuperCharger (Dark Spitfire)
1 Reposed SuperCharger (Dark Super Shot Stealth Elf)
2 Skylander Vehicles (Dark Hot Streak & Dark Sea Shadow)
1 Kaos Trophy
1 New portal of power
1 Character Poster

Wii U Dark Starter Pack:
2 New SuperChargers (Dark Donkey Kong & Dark Spitfire)
2 Skylander Vehicles (Dark Barrel Blaster & Dark Hot Streak)
1 Kaos Trophy
1 New portal of power
1 Character Poster

Wii Dark Starter Pack:
2 New SuperChargers (Dark Bowser & Dark Spitfire)
2 Skylander Vehicles (Dark Clown Cruiser & Dark Hot Streak)
1 Kaos Trophy
1 New portal of power
1 Character Poster

20QT2AA.png

fe0GGRm.png

Nintendo World Report
Nintendo World Report - 9 said:
Skylanders: SuperChargers is just bursting with content, and fortunately, all of it is great fun. If you’re invested in the series, SuperChargers is on par, if not better, than the best the series has offered in the past.

High-Def Digest
High-Def Digest - 4.5/5 said:
Getting into a vehicle and changing the gameplay up, say mid-level or for a boss fight, is vastly more engaging than the typical elemental change. But it's really just the beginning.

Polygon
Polygon - 8.5 said:
The levels play with gravity, with humor, with painterly backdrops and size. There are even clever tweaks at some of gaming's tropes. Just when you think you've seen it all, you find yourself sitting back down to do something new and spectacular.

Financial Post
Financial Post - 8.5 said:
And all of these activities benefit from the sort of sheen we’d expect of an entry in a yearly franchise that has been polishing its formula for half a decade. The controls are tight, the visual presentation is terrific.

Gaming Age
Gaming Age - A- said:
Being someone that has played the games, but not to completion in the past, I found myself more immersed in the world this time around and I think the variety is the reason.

GameSpot
Gamespot - 8 said:
While the vehicles adds the most visible "new" element to Skylanders, there's plenty more here that expand upon the series' traditional action adventure (with a little puzzle solving) formula. Nearly every level and area you'll explore in Skylanders comes with a unique gameplay twist.

Hardcore Gamer
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5 said:
Activision and Vicarious Visions have seemingly done the impossible by keeping Skylanders fresh for its fifth outing. SuperChargers is jam-packed with enough content to fill at least two separate games and it’s all quality stuff.

Game Informer
Game Informer - 6.5 said:
By the third level, I would grimace whenever I saw an icon telling me I needed to place a car on the Portal of Power for a vehicle sequence. The cars are the weakest part of the campaign, and most are tied to the critical path.

aydY1Ea.png

WAVE 1
Single Packs:
Dive Clops (Water)
Fiesta (Undead)
Stormblade (Air)
Shark Shooter Terrafin (Earth)

Vehicles:
Dive Bomber (Sea; Dive Clops)
Crypt Crusher (Land; Fiesta)
Sky Slicer (Sky; Stormblade)
Sea Shadow (Sea; Nightfall)

Racing Action Packs:
Deep Dive Gill Grunt (Water) + Reef Ripper + Sea Trophy

Combo Packs:
Shark Shooter Terrafin + Shark Tank
Hurricane Jet Vac + Jet Stream

Exclusives:
-Frightful Fiesta (Gamestop)
-Steel Plated Smash Hit (Best Buy)
-Nitro Stealth Stinger (Target)
-Legendary Hurricane Jet Vac (TRU)

WAVE 2:
Single Packs:
Smash Hit (Earth)
Nightfall (Dark)
High Volt (Tech)

Vehicles:
Burn Cycle (Land; Lava Lance Eruptor)
Shark Tank (Land; Shark Shooter Terrafin)
Jet Stream (Air; Hurricane Jet Vac)
Stealth Stinger (Air; Super Shot Stealth Elf)

Triple Pack:
Shark Shooter Terrafin + Shark Tank + Jet Stream

WAVE 3:
Single Packs:
Splat (Magic)
Big Bubble Pop Fizz (Magic)
Hurricane Jet Vac (Air)
Lava Lance Eruptor (Fire)

Vehicles:
Splatter Splasher (Sea; Splat)
Shield Striker (???)
Thump Truck (???)

Racing Action Packs:
Astroblast (Light) + Sun Runner + Air Trophy

Combo Packs:
Big Bubble Pop Fizz + Soda Skimmer
Bone Rush Roller Brawl + Tomb Buggy

Triple Pack:
Bone Rush Roller Brawl + Tomb Buggy + Splatter Splasher

Forgot this was coming out today, as my copy hasn't arrived yet. Looking forward to it, though.

It looked really neat at E3, but I didn't get hands-on, just saw a dev demo of it.

Ecto311

Was wondering where this thread was. Looking to get the digital today but its not up. What the fuck is going on with these companies? Infinity did the same thing weeks ago and I had to wait till almost 4pm to download the digital version on xbox one. Sucks when you have a kid that is amped to play. Even walmart had nothing on the shelves at 5am this morning.

25th In the UK, my sons Xmas sorted, need to pick up a boat and a plane, I can't seem to find any confirmation of trigger happy being released in the first wave, could any of you American fellows confirm?

Anyways the games are pretty good, always join my son when needed!

Lan_97

First entry I've been legitimately pumped about since Giants. Really looking forward to getting my stuff today/tomorrow.

Holding off on this one for a little bit. Not sure about the Racing and Lego is out next week. Definitely going to try to track down Donkey Kong though since Bowser is exclusive to the bundle right?

fernoca

Oh! You made an OT! Thought it wouldn't get one. :p

Picking my copies in a few hours. And yeah, Wii and 3DS versions are structly racers ala Sonic All Stars Racing/Mario Kart.

Also, if you want to add...the "other starter pack":

Portal Owner's Pack
-Digital release
-$49.99
-Can use any old portal, but the one from the first game won't allow to use co-op or multiplayer using Swap Force characters.

Lucario

Are the Wii/3DS versions different? Why are they called "Racing"?

Wii and 3DS versions are completely different from the main game. Different developer too.

It's likely they'll be a third-rate mario kart clone. Kind of a shame since buying them is the only way to get the Bowser amiibolander.

stolin

I'm in for another round, but this time my nephew is old enough to be in the lead as I play back seat Co-Op. He's a mega "Cars!" type kid. He's been asking for this since it's first showing. I get the sense that this version will be a hit because of the vehicles. Time to game up.

25th In the UK, my sons Xmas sorted, need to pick up a boat and a plane, I can't seem to find any confirmation of trigger happy being released in the first wave, could any of you American fellows confirm?

Anyways the games are pretty good, always join my son when needed!
As far as we can tell, Triggs is not in the first wave. ....or the second wave actually. He might not be out until the third wave, likely near Christmas

Orca

Oh! You made an OT! Thought it wouldn't get one. :p

Picking my copies in a few hours. And yeah, Wii and 3DS versions are structly racers ala Sonic All Stars Racing/Mario Kart.

Also, if you want to add...the "other starter pack":

Portal Owner's Pack
-Digital release
-$49.99

I'd buy that instead of another physical pack - but it's not up yet? http://store.xbox.com/en-CA/Xbox-On...ers-Pack/5770437b-b2fa-49c6-8589-2ccf88fe90fd

I was all in for the past games but this one I'm skipping. Debating on if I really wanna hunt down the Bowser and Donkey Kong Amiibolander. I'd like to get both the regular and dark version but we'll see. And if I do that...do I get the vehicles too? I'm not so sure.

fernoca

I was all in for the past games but this one I'm skipping. Debating on if I really wanna hunt down the Bowser and Donkey Kong Amiibolander. I'd like to get both the regular and dark version but we'll see. And if I do that...do I get the vehicles too? I'm not so sure.
They won't by be sold separate at the moment, so at the moment eBay is the only option. Some might sell them separate ($50 for the figure, $30 for the car).

Shame that the best figure is locked behind the worst (?) versions. Really want Bowser, but I guess I'll just buy both version and maybe sell the 3DS one with something else

Chairhome

Ordered the dark Wii U version for my son (he loves DK), but we've been getting so many games lately his backlog is getting as bad as mine. Gonna put it in the closet for a few weeks or months. Anything figures or vehicles look like they're going to be scarce? Wondering if is hound pick up any figures now so I don't have to scrounge around when he starts playing.

They won't by be sold separate at the moment, so at the moment eBay is the only option. Some might sell them separate ($50 for the figure, $30 for the car).

Oh, I know. I've been watching eBay. They'll eventually go down and when they do...I'll strike.

jonno394

Subbed as it Will be interesting to see how this one turns out with the vehicles.

Swap Force was my first taste of the series but got bored towards the end. Just started Trap Team but want to buy a few traps on the cheap before I carry on as would rather invest in them and just have the skylanders from the starter set and 6 or so villains in my team each level.

If I can find this in a good deal by Christmas I might invest, if not I'll wait until next September!

I still long for the day when there is a proper 3D platformer using skylanders rather than what is released now. Visually and design wise i think the games are great, just the gameplay gets a bit dull. but I guess that will never happen.

Trap Team figure quality was great. Hope these are just as good.

Edit - just watched a video. Bowser looks great. Shame his figure won't work on the ps4 :(

killroy87

Excited to see this is good! Loved Swap Force, but skipped Trap Team as it seemed like a scam, even for toys 2 life standards. If I'm gonna spend money on plastic, I'm sure as hell at least going to get a figure and not just shards.

I guess I'll just buy both version and maybe sell the 3DS one with something else

I'd like to get both the regular and dark version but we'll see. And if I do that...do I get the vehicles too? I'm not so sure.

Subbed as it Will be interesting to see how this one turns out with the vehicles.

If I can find this in a good deal by Christmas I might invest, if not I'll wait until next September!

Edit - just watched a video. Bowser looks great. Shame his figure won't work on the ps4 :(

As a matter of fact, your best bets is to hold off until Black Friday (something I've been doing for the last few years). Black Friday, Target usually (although Walmart and TRU have in the past) will bump down the price usually by $30 or $40 and it places the whole shebang at about the regular price of a game. For the most part, I intend to hold off on the 3DS version until last year when stores are trying to get rid of stock before the next game hits. This year, the planets just happened to align perfectly, and some people a few weeks ago were able to stack Target's Cartwheel deal (75% off I think) with a General Mills coupon for $10 off and get a starter pack for around $10-$15. I kind of wonder if anyone is gonna have the same idea to hunt down the other Amiibolanders that way too lmao

I picked up the Stealth Stinger at Target, it's a really nice looking figure. I was able to hold some of the other guys at BB...Walmart had nothing on the shelves so I dunno what was going on there. I've seen some people saying on other websites that they had problems with stores not having anything out...and that's a little bizarre to me.

UtBF8aG.jpg

So excited for the Dong, but I'll play smart and wait for sales, these ALWAYS crater in price around holidays and especially closer to each new game.

I got:

Spyro on 3DS for $20, saw it soon after for $10. :p

Giants Wii (Portal Owner's) for $10.

Swap Force Wii U for $20.

Trap Team Wii (with Wii U code) also for $20.

Hoping SC Wii U will be $30-ish during the holidays.

fernoca

Hmmm..
So the 3DS version seems to also have online multi. At least the box says so, will confirm soon.

Wii U digital version is 16GB.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Glad you made an OT Spyro! I was worried I'd have to make one myself. :p

I picked up most of wave 1 at Best Buy except Terrafin because of the obvious upcoming 2-pack. It's weird that TRU didn't have Wave 2 early as usual each year, but I suppose that has to do with Nightfall having trouble being read in-game (maybe a faulty chip, who knows).

Just cracked open my haul. I picked up about half of wave 1. A couple of weird things I've noticed.

1) Are web codes not a thing anymore? I can't find any anywhere, which leads me to obersvation #2.

2) No stat cards anymore. These were the cards that came with the figures that showed their stats. I did notice that there was a pack of 2 cards in the starter set for some sort of mobile augmented reality trading card game, but stats cards are nowhere to be found.

3) No cards or stickers for starter pack characters or vehicles. The individual figures and vehicles I bought at least came with the normal sticker (where the web code used to be.) But the starter pack characters don't seem to come with stickers at all. Odd.

About to boot it up now.....the Wii U version is downloading an update.

Just cracked open my haul. I picked up about half of wave 1. A couple of weird things I've noticed.

1) Are web codes not a thing anymore? I can't find any anywhere, which leads me to obersvation #2.

2) No stat cards anymore. These were the cards that came with the figures that showed their stats. I did notice that there was a pack of 2 cards in the starter set for some sort of mobile augmented reality trading card game, but stats cards are nowhere to be found.

3) No cards or stickers for starter pack characters or vehicles. The individual figures and vehicles I bought at least came with the normal sticker (where the web code used to be.) But the starter pack characters don't seem to come with stickers at all. Odd.

About to boot it up now.....the Wii U version is downloading an update.

I think they've done away with web codes. To be honest, they were useful for the first two games where you could register them on Skylanders Universe, but after they canceled those, they just used them for some of the mobile apps. I think there's was a game and the collection vault, so it would appear both of them are not being supported any more as they move over to Battlecast. That's what those cards are and they're probably taking them out of the regular figure packs so people dont get confused about them.

No stickers or anything in the starter pack is weird. Maybe they figured people wouldn't want the stickers or something. (and its possible since the Amiibolanders "don't exist" they didn't include them. I bet single pack Stealth will have her sticker.

JPS Kai

I have not run into this personally but a customer warned me that the Wii and 3DS versions will not start up unless you put a Land vehicle on the portal (which doesn't come with those systems).

fernoca

I have not run into this personally but a customer warned me that the Wii and 3DS versions will not start up unless you put a Land vehicle on the portal (which doesn't come with those systems).
Can confirm this is false...at least on 3DS. ;)

After choosing a race, you choose any Skylander and any vehicle. On 3DS like in the previous games, you need to scan the figures and save them in the game before actually playing. So the person was probably confused at that, since it takes you to the character selection screen with no message about having to scan something first.

Will try Wii version in a few...

EDIT:
Posted below, but yeah..also false for the Wii version.

robotrock

Banned
If I have the Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack on PS4, can I just pick up the Portal Owner's Pack version of this game and just play it?

fernoca

If I have the Skylanders: Trap Team Starter Pack on PS4, can I just pick up the Portal Owner's Pack version of this game and just play it?
Yep. Don't even need additional figures as it also includes one and a vehicle in the download.

And yeah, Wii version is the same as the 3DS version; no online multiplayer though. You can start them with Bowser and his Clowncruiser. Seems fun so far, reminds me a bit to Diddy Kong Racing, Crash. Not saying it plays like those, but just that the way it handles and plays reminded me of those.

You have a lifebar with your health and a powerbar for your attack. There are also items that you pick in the race, and are used automatically.

Will try Wii U version...when it finishes downloading, since I also got it digitally. :p

Ugh, Skylanders are lower quality than I was expecting. Bought the Wii and Wii U versions for DK and Bowser. DK is alright but Bowser leaves a lot to be desired.
Also, being different games and having different Nintendo characters bundled in each shows that they clearly wanted consumers to buy both versions...but they both come in with the same secondary amiibo....why?
Also, is the digital version free? If the next game has no new base can I just use my current one if I want to play it?

Draxal

Ugh, Skylanders are lower quality than I was expecting. Bought the Wii and Wii U versions for DK and Bowser. DK is alright but Bowser leaves a lot to be desired.
Also, being different games and having different Nintendo characters bundled in each shows that they clearly wanted consumers to buy both versions...but they both come in with the same secondary amiibo....why?

Cuz Activision is good at robbing people of their money.

Kinsei

Banned
Ugh thought this was coming out on Tuesday for some reason. Thankfully I don't want much from the first wave. Hopefully my local shops aren't sold out of Dive Clops, the Dive Bomber, and the Sea Shadow.

Ecto311

Any news on the digital download of it? Sucks that an entire Sunday is almost over and the game still unavailable.

fernoca

Any news on the digital download of it? Sucks that an entire Sunday is almost over and the game still unavailable.
Wii U version has been there since 9AM/12PM.
Started it at 3:30PM, finished at 6PM. (15.5GB)

Finished installing now, downloading a 159MB update.

Will play later as I'm making dinner. XD

For Disney Infinity 3.0 Wii U version was the same (9AM), but Xbox One/PS4 versions weren't there until later. So, who knows.

As a side note, kinda glad that the new portal doesn't lightup unlike the previous ones. It was nice, but since I have it connected to a hub it stood on 24/7 unless I unplugged. :p

weevles

My son and I played a little of it at TRU. Was ok, but nothing we had to have now. The reviews are surprisingly high to me. Planning to the Wii U version sometime later...

fernoca

Can you fit two superchargers on the portal at once? Is there online co op?
Yeah you can. And no online co-op, only online races. The main game (outside the Wii and 3DS versions) is still an adventure/Diablo like game.

EDIT: Correction and posted below later. But it seems there is online co-op. Just limited to online friends. Online with randoms is only in the racing mode/multi.

So excited for the Dong, but I'll play smart and wait for sales, these ALWAYS crater in price around holidays and especially closer to each new game.

I got:

Spyro on 3DS for $20, saw it soon after for $10. :p

Giants Wii (Portal Owner's) for $10.

Swap Force Wii U for $20.

Trap Team Wii (with Wii U code) also for $20.

Hoping SC Wii U will be $30-ish during the holidays.

Bruh. You missed up. In the last two months I have bought the following all new from stores:

Trap Team Wii: Target $7.50
Trap Team 3DS: Target $7.50
Swap Force Wii U: Gamestop $10
Swap Force 3DS: Best Buy $9.60
Skylanders Battlegrounds: Best Buy $8
Skylanders Giants PS3: Best Buy $9.60
Skylanders 3DS: Gamestop $12

Also got two Giants and a Zoo Loo from Best Buy for 2.40.

All I need is Skylanders for 3DS and original Skylanders and get rid of the PS3 set and I'll have very few doubles. The 3DS and console sets have at least two different figures except Giants which is why I want to sell it. The exclusive console figure is in the Battleground set.

I plan to buy a Wii and Wii U starter kits when they drop next year.

Bruh. You missed up. In the last two months I have bought the following all new from stores:

Trap Team Wii: Target $7.50
Trap Team 3DS: Target $7.50
Swap Force Wii U: Gamestop $10
Swap Force 3DS: Best Buy $9.60
Skylanders Battlegrounds: Best Buy $8
Skylanders Giants PS3: Best Buy $9.60
Skylanders 3DS: Gamestop $12

Also got two Giants and a Zoo Loo from Best Buy for 2.40.

All I need is Skylanders for 3DS and original Skylanders and get rid of the PS3 set and I'll have very few doubles. The 3DS and console sets have at least two different figures except Giants which is why I want to sell it. The exclusive console figure is in the Battleground set.

I plan to buy a Wii and Wii U starter kits when they drop next year.

I'm in Canada so prices aren't the same as the US. :p Also we lost Target about a year ago. :(

How are you all liking this? Im thinking about getting this for the XBOX ONE since I already got Disney Infinity 3.0 for the PS4..or maybe will get this for the Wii U, its between the Wii U and XBOX ONE not sure what one has over the other

Draxal

How are you all liking this? Im thinking about getting this for the XBOX ONE since I already got Disney Infinity 3.0 for the PS4..or maybe will get this for the Wii U, its between the Wii U and XBOX ONE not sure what one has over the other

Wii U has two exclusive amiibo/skylanders well four if you consider the variants (as seen in the op).

Intru

Just bought the Wii U starter pack. This will be my first Skylanders game... because I really like vehicle based games/kart racers.

I just hope I don't get sucked in to the figure collection nonsense. I managed to avoid that with Amiibo, so I think I'll be fine :p

Top Bottom