• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Heist |OT| Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot ...dig?

TheMoon

swheistot26u6i.jpg

Developed & Published by: Image & Form
Music by: Steam Powered Giraffe
Platform: Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, PS4, PSV, PC/Mac/Linux (Xbox One later)
Release Dates:
  • Nintendo 3DS: December 10, 2015 (NA/EU/AU) / 2016 (JP)
  • PS4/PS Vita: June 7, 2016 (NA) / June 8 (EU/AU)
  • PC/Mac/Linux: June 7, 2016
  • Wii U: September 30, 2016 (EU/AU) / October 20, 2016 (NA)
  • Xbox One: TBA
Genre: 2D Sidescrolling Turn-based Tactics RPG
Language support: English (French, Italian, German, Spanish and Russian added via update out April 28, 2016)
Special launch offer price: US$16.99 / €16.99 / £11.99 until December 31st 2015 (+ free exclusive theme!)
Regular price: US$19.99 / €19.99 / £14.99 starting January 1st, 2016 (without theme)
New Nintendo 3DS-enhanced: Yes (supports Stereoscopic 3D in 60fps vs 30fps on the old 3DS models)
3DS eShop download file size in blocks: 1,431 blocks (about 180MB)
Hats: Yes (almost 100!)
Is Billy in this game?: Blub!
DLC: The Outsider (new playable character, new missions, new weapons, gear, and new headwear.) US$/€4.99/4.99/£4.49 - April 28, 2016
(The Outsider DLC will be a paid Day-1 download option for when the console/PC releases happen, it will not be included for free)
(The Outsider is included in the SteamWorld Collection retail release)

basicsgcutz.png

SteamWorld Dig was awesome, right? So, now comes the part where I tell you that this game is absolutely nothing like that. It's still 2D with a steampunky Western blend in terms of visuals and music but now it's a turn-based tactics RPG! Think XCOM as a sidescroller. But actually it's way more Code Name S.T.E.A.M. as a sidescroller since you also have to aim yourself in SteamWorld Heist! That's right, no dice rolls. You can even shoot the hats off of the enemies to add them to your collection (purely cosmetic).

Another cool and unique thing is that you can (and have to) bounce bullets off of walls for fancy trick shots. Take out that pesky enemy hiding behind cover with a zig-zag bullet around the corner!

zjeeabn3rmi.gif

You're a ragtag group of space pirates (don't tell Samus!) hunting for some sweet loot, taking on missions, recruiting new Steambots and amassing over 100 different weapons that drastically affect your play style. Git dat paper.

Some other facts:
  • Takes about 15-20h to complete (time does not include side missions or NewGame+)
  • Levels are randomly generated
  • The update in January will also add some other things besides more languages that haven't yet been detailed
  • There are five difficulty levels to pick from (you can change it before each mission!). See below for details

Difficulty Options:
raqxx.jpg
9lp3q.jpg

pvot6.jpg
uur8f.jpg

gvpib.jpg
nwogq.jpg

Updates:

April 28, 2016 update:
Players that prefer to have their steam-driven robots speak in French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian will be happy, and due to popular demand we’ve also expanded the inventory a bit – now you have more empty slots from the outset, and getting new slots will be less taxing on your water reserves. And there’s more utilities. Oh, and even more weird hats.

Installing the free update makes The Outsider available from within SteamWorld Heist.

swhlinksxusb9.png

Official Website: http://imageform.se/game/steamworld-heist/
NeoGAF Review Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1153709
Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epv2WLrWpXU
Gameplay basics video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6QfhCnyJKA

swhscreensr0su7.png

Tuck

I loved Dig so much. But I'm finding it hard to get excited for this game. Granted, I haven't seen much gameplay.

I'll probably buy it when its out next year on consoles, if only to support the dev.

Tunavi

Banned
I loved steam world dig. A lot. I need this. Can't wait for xbone release, got rid of my 3ds

Fond memories of driving across the country last winter and playing this game At the hotels

Really enjoying my time with this game. I'm just getting to a part where it's getting kinda hard but you can just go back to missions you've tried before and get more xp and items.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man this games looks good...i will have to watch a video review later but i think i need to get it on 3DS this year.

*subscribed*

I'll be picking this one up as soon as I can tear myself away from Xenoblade. I loved the art style of Dig, even if the game itself was fun but thin, and side-scrolling turn-based tactics are a far more appealing proposition to me as a player.

Something I've been thinking about all year, thanks to excellent titles like Code Name: STEAM and Invisible, Inc., is the profusion of ways in which turn-based squad tactics games are moving their combat systems away from RNG and towards other forms of skill checks with a controllable, yet still not entirely predictable approach to variance to keep the game interesting. Heist seems to be the latest addition to the trend, and I look forward to seeing what it does.

Nice OT! I got it and played the first 3-4 levels. It's fun. Image and Form is a very solid developer. Can't wait to play more.

Didn't know that levels are randomly generated. Not sure how I feel about that.

On one hand it signals an environment not as elegantly designed as, say, a Metroidvania, but something to keep in mind (and made very clear by Invisible, Inc., which is a must-play in this genre) is that if you shift the burden of RNG away from the combat systems, you need to displace it elsewhere in the game to preclude the emergence of a single, optimal solution that you can simply follow in a walkthrough—hence the inspiration from roguelikes. (It could just as well happen in itemization, for instance.) Map variety and interesting challenges posed by each jigsaw piece are essential for this to work, of course.

JonnyKong

Ugh I REALLY want to play this, but I've also only just started Paper Jam and I'll feel bad if I neglect that to play this. I don't know what to do :( unfortunately I don't really have a lot of spare time to juggle two games at once.

watershed

Banned
After playing the first 5 missions, this game ifs definitely worth the money. The mechanics are just really solid, the graphics and style are fun, and there's enough depth to keep things interesting. Good stuff.

Omikaru

Think I'll be grabbing this on my New 3DS with some Christmas money that I get. I have a Vita, PC and PS4 too, but my 3DS needs some love.

Glad to see it's reviewing well, and congratulations to Image & Form for making another amazing SteamWorld game.

Exile20

Image and form did it again. I am addicted. This game is glorious and puts swindle to shame. This shit is fucking awesome.

Mudd

Glad you are enjoying it! Already bought, I'm going to start it during the next days and I'm so excited :)

dLMN8R

Great to see such excellent reviews! I was hesitant on this after seeing the gameplay since all I want is more Dig, but nice to see it's done well in its own right.

Enforcer

I loved Dig (and ended up with PC and PSN copies of it as well!), so this is pretty much an instabuy. Between this and Fast Racing NEO, I'm gonna have no spare time!

I played for another hour or so. It's really fun! This game has so much polish. The UI is pretty elegant. I found some of the missions pretty hard too. There are these exploding enemies you have to watch out for. Also inventory management is a thing here, like it was in SteamWorld Dig.

watershed

Banned
I totally just screwed up and killed a bad guy standing next to my own ally. He blew up and killed my crewmate! And that was the final enemy in the mission too. What happens when you do that? Are they gone forever? I just aborted so I don't know.

I totally just screwed up and killed a bad guy standing next to my own ally. He blew up and killed my crewmate! And that was the final enemy in the mission too. What happens when you do that? Are they gone forever? I just aborted so I don't know.

Nope, you keep your team mate's parts and repair them after the mission. It's OK if they die, but obviously it's best to try not to lose them.

Despera

Banned
Just picked this up cuz it looks like a lot of fun. It comes with a neat theme too.

Will play it later today probably.

Anyone have thoughts on this now after playing it for a while?

I'm really enjoying it. The gunplay is so smooth and effective. You can shoot pretty far range especially if you're using a sniper gun with laser sight. The dialogue is entertaining and the music is pretty good too.

I wasn't sure I would be able to play through the whole thing, but I think I will give the game a chance. I'm playing on the standard difficulty and so far I've only had to abort like two missions. The main character is kind of fragile, but I think you might take less damage if you press Y to guard at the end of your turn.

Hope this helps.

Happy this is discounted until the end of the year. I'll buy it with some Christmas cash. And I didn't know it came with a theme! That's awesome.

Coppanuva

Curious about this but I really couldn't get into Dig, for gameeplay reasons. Would that have an impact on my enjoyment here?

watershed

Banned
Anyone have thoughts on this now after playing it for a while?

I've put in at least 4 hours today. I've played the story linearly and have replayed several missions at higher difficulty levels. It's a blast. From videos online you can already get a great feel for the visual style of the game. It's a lot of fun to see all the designs, the little nods to westerns, the steampunk robots, etc. But what you don't get until you play it is that all the game mechanics work really well together. This game kind of reminds me of monster hunter in that it is just fun to play because the gameplay is so good (I'm not a MH fan, but that's what my friends tell me about it). I've played many missions over with different characters, and I believe the levels are randomly generated each time?

Anyways, it's worth the time and money. There are a lot of cool moments when you get your shots lined up right or have the perfect ability for a given situation. Few games hook me immediately like Heist has.

Gsnap

Always love seeing a unique take on the tactical turn-based genre. Being side-scrolling is pretty fun, and the game already has more personality than Dig. It's really nice that you have to aim, and ricochets are taken into account. Much better to add variety and individualism to each move without resorting to rng.

Only just started though.

My 3DS almost ran out of batteries, so it's charging now. I played for nearly 5 hours today. I beat the first area finally. I had to switch to Casual mode after I lost a fight. That made it a lot easier. Then I switched back to Regular. I don't think grinding gets you very much in this game, maybe a new skill or +1 to health.

Unison

Wow, I liked Steamworld Dig a lot, but this is more innovative and polished. I feel like I still have a lot to learn after a few missions, but the core TBS engine here is really excellent. I wouldn't have thought a sidescrolling strategy game would have worked so well.

This feels like it could be a retail game easily, if it is as long as people are saying.

I agree, this could have easily been a retail game for 30 or 40 dollars.

Combat is so fast and fluid it almost feels like an action game...

Top Bottom