• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Heist |OT| Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot ...dig?

Wow, that looks tough!! I'm not quite there yet. But I guess I'm about halfway through. I just got Billy the brawler and I really like him so far (unlike Pehesse, I'm actually going to use him). I decided to switch to Casual difficulty and it's quite a bit easier, but you get less experience upon completing a mission. I've played about 8 hours so far and it's still a whole lot of fun! Image&Form is a great developer.

Brakke

Banned
This game is rad as heck. I sat down just to check it out and ended up playing for like three hours. Oops! Real good balance, missions being short enough they aren't daunting but long enough I'm usually hurt and nervous by the end.

Middle difficulty is the sweet spot for me. One down is a bit too easy and one up usually gets me killed on the first try. I actually like replaying missions a little bit because of the randomization. I find if I reply a mission I always get away unscathed so one up from middle is bad: I play reckless the first time knowing I'll reply it clean once I "get" it. Middle difficulty means there's a good chance I get through on the first try, but it's not a sure thing so stakes is high.

One complaint I saw in the reviews is that the AI is too easy to trick. Are you all at all finding that?

I just did a mission where all the AI had grenade launchers and they all banked their shots back at themselves, either wiping out their own cover or else killing a teammate. Didn't take a single hit lol. That was the only team the AI was bad though. Been playing on the middle difficulty ("Experienced" I think), sometimes AI surprises me with trickshots and sneaky moves.

chris121580

I'm not usually a turn based fan but loved steamworld dig so decided to support the developer. I absolutely love this. It's so fast paced that it doesn't necessarily even feel turn based. Sadly it doesn't seem like a lot of people are checking it out. I can't recommend it enough

eojoko

Beat this last night! It was great. Played through on Experienced.

I've already started another playthough, this time on Veteran.

AKC12

This insta buy was a good decision for once.

I'm holding out pretty well on Veteran so far. Missed one star because I took a shot when I didn't want to and I am still getting used to aiming.

Does anyone find the shotguns useful at all? I find myself using SMGs over them. And pistols seem to do good damage too without sacrificing too much range.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I'm holding out pretty well on Veteran so far. Missed one star because I took a shot when I didn't want to and I am still getting used to aiming.

Does anyone find the shotguns useful at all? I find myself using SMGs over them. And pistols seem to do good damage too without sacrificing too much range.
Snipers and grenade launchers, man. Snipers and grenade launchers.

eojoko

In general, I have not liked using guns with spread. Pistols do the same damage in one bullet. Guns that fire twice are rare but the best. Grenades or heavy weaponry for groups.

For a boss or particularly tough foe, I could see burst weapons being useful because they offer more potential for critical hits, the trade-off is you have to be close to whatever you're shooting.

staen

I honestly feel this is the highest quality 3DS release since Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. This game is fantastic.

I started on Elite and it's been pretty brutal. I was thinking of dialing it down but I've become kind of addicted to playing on Elite. Even though you do get more experience, the downside is that I tend to finish missions with casualties so overall I may be getting less experience. Not too big of a deal since I tend to return to missions to try and get the highest rating.

Does difficulty affect loot? I've had quite a few rare drops even early game. I got a sharpshooter on the first mission with 100% crippling rate that was extremely useful for crowd control.

Does difficulty affect loot? I've had quite a few rare drops even early game. I got a sharpshooter on the first mission with 100% crippling rate that was extremely useful for crowd control.

I don't believe so. I've got about 5 hours or so on the clock and have been shifting the difficulty up and down and haven't really noticed any change in loot find. Also early on I used that exact sharpshooter and yeah it is very useful. Very effective at shutting down the shield guys when you meet them.

eojoko

I honestly feel this is the highest quality 3DS release since Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. This game is fantastic.

I started on Elite and it's been pretty brutal. I was thinking of dialing it down but I've become kind of addicted to playing on Elite. Even though you do get more experience, the downside is that I tend to finish missions with casualties so overall I may be getting less experience. Not too big of a deal since I tend to return to missions to try and get the highest rating.

Damn, I'm 1.5 playthroughs in and haven't gotten a drop with a 100% status affect.

1st time through I relied very heavily on Sally. I'm guessing she's less useful on higher difficulties, where enemies will have more health and will be less easy to one shot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man, I don't think I've read one negative impression in this whole thread.

I'm buying next week once I start Christmas vacation. This looks like a great game to break away from Xenoblade X over the Holidays.

TheMoon

Man, I don't think I've read one negative impression in this whole thread.

I'm buying next week once I start Christmas vacation. This looks like a great game to break away from Xenoblade X over the Holidays.

Nintendo Platform Holiday 2015: Where November is mostly garbage and all the A-caliber games come out in December for some reason :D

dLMN8R

Finally started playing this. I'm usually apprehensive at brand new unproven turn-based strategy games since they're so heavily dependent on interface design. You could have the smartest game systems in the world but if you don't nail the UI those systems can be totally buried under an incomprehensible interface.

Steamworld Heist succeeds brilliantly in this regard. The UI is pretty much perfect. The inventory management, the character customization, the movement hints explaining when you can or cannot fire after moving, and on and on. So the game systems - which themselves are a ton of fun, satisfying, and fairly creative - are able to shine.

Also one minor detail which I love? Your scores and progression are not punished by not optimizing for a "perfect" playthrough. So if a ship is empty and you just need to move around collecting stuff that dropped? Go for it - it doesn't reduce your score just because you took a few extra turns. I hate it when games punish you for stupid things like this, so it's so refreshing that Heist doesn't.

Memory

Totally loving this game, been a while since I've left my 3DS on for so long with out turning it off, based standby mode.

I've been thinking about picking this up, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the console versions or not. Never played SteamWorld Dig either, so I'm wondering how that was on 3DS as well. Should I wait or just get it?

dLMN8R

I played Stemworld Dig on PC beginning to end and then did the same thing on 3DS. I enjoyed the 3DS version more because of the portability and the 2nd-screen stuff.

It wasn't compromised in any way at all. And Heist is even better - graphics are beautiful, runs at a perfect 60FPS, load times are instant, etc. Can't imagine how it would be worth waiting for other platforms unless you really want it on a larger screen.

I played Stemworld Dig on PC beginning to end and then did the same thing on 3DS. I enjoyed the 3DS version more because of the portability and the 2nd-screen stuff.

It wasn't compromised in any way at all. And Heist is even better - graphics are beautiful, runs at a perfect 60FPS, load times are instant, etc. Can't imagine how it would be worth waiting for other platforms unless you really want it on a larger screen.

Thanks, good to know. I'll definitely be picking this up over the holidays, then.

Gala

This game is amazing. I played it the whole day, just progressing a bit into the core and getting new crew members which I then leveld up. So much fun.

staen

Isn't Heist 30FPS on 3DS and 60FPS on n3DS?

Yes, I believe so. That is what they said in one of their pre-release Q&As at least.

I've been thinking about picking this up, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the console versions or not. Never played SteamWorld Dig either, so I'm wondering how that was on 3DS as well. Should I wait or just get it?

I wouldn't be too concerned with which gaming system you play this on. I believe Image & Form aim for parity for their multiplatform releases since they feel it's unfair that early adopters are punished if that weren't the case. The versions released later do not have additional content.

lt519

This game is amazing. Immediately vaulted into my Top 10 for the year. Just getting to the Outskirts boss now. Been playing on Experienced and only wiped a couple times and mostly it was because I spread my team too thin for reinforcements/turrets. I keep them much more together now.

Brakke

Banned
Also one minor detail which I love? Your scores and progression are not punished by not optimizing for a "perfect" playthrough. So if a ship is empty and you just need to move around collecting stuff that dropped? Go for it - it doesn't reduce your score just because you took a few extra turns. I hate it when games punish you for stupid things like this, so it's so refreshing that Heist doesn't.

On a similar note I appreciate how killing enemies doesn't grant EXP or gallons or anything. It's thematically pleasant to not incentivize wanton murder, and it makes for some cool opportunities for savagely difficult encounters in challenge levels where enemies spawn forever (and with ratcheting intensity) and your mission is "collect as much scrap as you're comfortable with grabbing".

I'm a lot of games vaguely like this (Fire Emblem and Tactics Ogre come to mind), half the battle is the battle itself and half is making sure your chumps get in last hits so they don't fall behind in EXP.

I don't how like that destroyed robos miss out on EXP though. If someone dies there's a good chance it's because they're the one that needs EXP most. Forces conservative play with newer crew members and tends to let Sharpshooters pull ahead.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Aye! Absolutely refreshing.

WVW69iqGlQkGx7T4rK

Frog M. Bison is here to ruin your day.

The hat collection system in this game is super cool! I just wish there was a way to get a second chance at getting rare hats you missed. I accidently killed a rare hat wearer before I could get his hat, and never saw that hat on anyone again.

Guys, this game is really good, cant believe they got so many things right the first time they make a turn based strategy game. The loot, the abilities , the dificulty, the combat mechanics the progression system,etc. Just like Dig was addictive , this one is too.

Exile20

About to finish Chapter 2 and still having a blast. This stopped me from playing X but I am having so much fun.

The chapters are so varied with the different enemies and I replay a stage over and over till I get full stars. I am not the type of person to perfect stages but with this game the fun and randomization makes it different every time.

I&F really got everything right with this game. Good job.

lt519

About to finish Chapter 2 and still having a blast. This stopped me from playing X but I am having so much fun.

The chapters are so varied with the different enemies and I replay a stage over and over till I get full stars. I am not the type of person to perfect stages but with this game the fun and randomization makes it different every time.

I&F really got everything right with this game. Good job.

I can't wait to play it again on Vita or PS4 for the achievements. I did the same for Dig on the 3DS, going 100% completion, but the Vita added some speed based/no-death based achievements I'd like to shoot for in this game.

So far I've only skipped one star on the Crusher and the three star challenge in the Outskirts. I got to the end of the three star challenge but moved to slow and it was near impossible to work my way back to the beginning.

robot

I got to the end of the three star challenge but moved to slow and it was near impossible to work my way back to the beginning.

I got 1 space away from escaping on my 2nd try, finally did it on the 3rd. Got way too greedy on my first attempt and didn't come close lol.

Exile20

I like the stages where you can collect as much loot as you can.
I can handle 2 skulls but once it hits three with the turrets then I am toast.

Brakke

Banned
Did a couple missions in Deep Space (final zone, presumably?). The enemies there are great! Turrets work totally differently, enemies move differently. Surprising and fun! This game has been a total treat. The last mission in the Core was a blast.

The OP says there's some kind of update due in January. Anyone know what that is? If I'm going to NG+ I might wait for that if it's interesting. Otherwise I just know I'll want to load right back as soon as I finish.

What even is this lol:

2as22td.jpg

dLMN8R

If I have anything to complain about this game, it's that it throws too many party members at you too quickly while they don't have quite enough variation.

I've only played the game for maybe an hour total, but I'm already up to 5 (?) party members to pick from, even though most missions only let me pick two or three. So it means that unused members just don't level up at all, which further dis-incentivizes me from using them.

How do you all handle this?

I'm not usually a turn based fan but loved steamworld dig so decided to support the developer. I absolutely love this. It's so fast paced that it doesn't necessarily even feel turn based. Sadly it doesn't seem like a lot of people are checking it out. I can't recommend it enough
It was number 5 in the eShop charts, just behind Terraria. I'm sure it's doing find. The Miiverse is pretty active as well.

If I have anything to complain about this game, it's that it throws too many party members at you too quickly while they don't have quite enough variation.

I've only played the game for maybe an hour total, but I'm already up to 5 (?) party members to pick from, even though most missions only let me pick two or three. So it means that unused members just don't level up at all, which further dis-incentivizes me from using them.

I really only use the ones that fit the roles I want and thats it. So a vanguard, a sniper and someone to activate the inspire ability of my sniper.

AKC12

Level them up first. They'll all become more clearly distinct starting at level 3.

eojoko

Level them up first. They'll all become more clearly distinct starting at level 3.

That's right. They look indistinct, but they actually all have unique abilities, even if they are the same "class" like vanguard or something.

Also, it's pretty easy and quick to level characters up in this game, and the level cap is low.

staen

I can't wait to play it again on Vita or PS4 for the achievements. I did the same for Dig on the 3DS, going 100% completion, but the Vita added some speed based/no-death based achievements I'd like to shoot for in this game.

So far I've only skipped one star on the Crusher and the three star challenge in the Outskirts. I got to the end of the three star challenge but moved to slow and it was near impossible to work my way back to the beginning.

Finally finished the three star challenge with three stars on elite. It was intense. I remember grabbing the epic swag and making my way back with a few in pursuit then suddenly another four descend from another room. I really didn't think I would make it. Payroll only had 2hp when I grabbed the epic swag. In the end, I had about 10 enemies in pursuit and all my characters were one shot away from dying with no more healing items. I used Piper/Sea Brass/Payroll. Movement helps a lot but I really wish I had Ivanski with me when a row of 5 guys in shooting distance were behind me and Piper was lagging behind. I pretty much skipped all rooms that were entered vertically and just moved as quickly as I could from left to right until I found the epic swag. I wouldn't worry about wasting too much time looking for loot as more than the required amount drop. Some of the enemies will also actually just stay in those upper rooms if you never open them. When I was retreating, I had to take a chance at the end and make Piper enter one of those vertical rooms because of all the adds behind me. Fortunately, it was just one of those explosive melee guys and they don't pose too much of a threat. Even though I did this after doing a few missions into the second act, it was still pretty tough. 45/45 in outskirts but
I'm not sure if the sidearm is worth it at this point since I have a royalist sidearm. It does have piercing though.

WVW69iqGlQkGx7T4rK

Frog M. Bison is here to ruin your day.

The hat collection system in this game is super cool! I just wish there was a way to get a second chance at getting rare hats you missed. I accidently killed a rare hat wearer before I could get his hat, and never saw that hat on anyone again.

I love payroll. Run'n'gun+flank+double shot is amazing.

I missed out on a few rare hats as well either through accidental kills or mission fails. I saw one with a green fish devouring the bot's head. I really wanted that for Sea Brass or Billy whenever I get him. I become super cautious when a rare hat spawns now. I've managed to nab one so far and it felt pretty rewarding and I think that's the point in making them rare.

In general, I have not liked using guns with spread. Pistols do the same damage in one bullet. Guns that fire twice are rare but the best. Grenades or heavy weaponry for groups.

For a boss or particularly tough foe, I could see burst weapons being useful because they offer more potential for critical hits, the trade-off is you have to be close to whatever you're shooting.

So is it possible for every shot in a scatter shot to get a critical? Let's say you had a scatter shot of 4 bullets doing 2 damage each. It's possible for each of those bullets to do 3 damage instead? I noticed a lot of bonuses to damage are flat increases. Payback will give you +2 so two of those shots will do 3 damage while the rest will still do 2. Do criticals work differently? It'd make shotguns/smgs a little bit more viable. I've been using them just because I happen to like them but I wasn't sure if there were any real advantages. Also, I found a handgun with scatter shot that can fire twice+pierces covers which is pretty amazing.

TheMoon

The OP says there's some kind of update due in January. Anyone know what that is? If I'm going to NG+ I might wait for that if it's interesting. Otherwise I just know I'll want to load right back as soon as I finish.

The same line that informs you about the update also tells you that they haven't said what's in it besides new languages :)

Nightii

Banned
I need some clarification on the framerate, please, the OP left me confused/hopeful.

The way I understood the OP's words, the game runs at 60fps on both versions of the 3DS, but only the New maintains the framerate when 3D is on, is this incorrect? If I got it wrong and the old 3DS runs only at 30 I may wait for the Wii U version.

TheMoon

I need some clarification on the framerate, please, the OP left me confused/hopeful.

The way I understood the OP's words, the game runs at 60fps on both versions of the 3DS, but only the New maintains the framerate when 3D is on, is this incorrect? If I got it wrong and the old 3DS runs only at 30 I may wait for the Wii U version.

Can someone who has it on Old 3DS confirm this? Took that bit from the pre-launch news which did not specify it further.

Yes but OP is a several days old.

I just wanna believe.

I update my OPs :D

Top Bottom