• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Heist |OT| Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot ...dig?

robot

Finished last night! Took 12:41, time flew by - don't even remember the last time I played a game straight through so quickly. The original MGS maybe? Incredible game, one of the most fun turn based systems I've ever played.

I did 95% of the battles on regular. It started getting a little easy towards the end but it felt like a natural progression of my characters becoming complete badasses so I kept the difficulty as-is.

Also I maxed out my 4 main characters halfway through the last map so I wonder if the XP bonuses in the harder difficulties are even worth it?

ilium

I'm on the fence on this one. It looks really interesting, and I need something to play while I visit my parents next week, but I think I'll wait for the eshop christmas sale first and see what they offer. Luckily it's 15% off till 31.12 so that's cool.

How deep is the customization of squad mates? Like skills and abilities and such?

I wonder if Faraday is a reference to Ace Attorney .

AcademicSaucer

haha, ouch. ^^

Did a couple missions in Deep Space (final zone, presumably?). The enemies there are great! Turrets work totally differently, enemies move differently. Surprising and fun! This game has been a total treat. The last mission in the Core was a blast.

The OP says there's some kind of update due in January. Anyone know what that is? If I'm going to NG+ I might wait for that if it's interesting. Otherwise I just know I'll want to load right back as soon as I finish.

What even is this lol:

2as22td.jpg

It's a reference to Goat Simulator by Coffee Stain Studios (goofy but fun thing):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265930/

I didn't understand the hat system at all. Need to read OP again. How do you know when one is rare?

AEREC

Finding Experienced to be the perfect difficulty. Im barely making it through some missions, and almost all are pretty tense. Ive also been knocking the difficulty up a notch or two and doing the Lone Wolf Mission if Iwant to level a character.

Would be cool if there was more rewards for higher difficulties basides experience...like exclusive hats or something. Maybe there is though.

Exile20

Finding Experienced to be the perfect difficulty. Im barely making it through some missions, and almost all are pretty tense. Ive also been knocking the difficulty up a notch or two and doing the Lone Wolf Mission if Iwant to level a character.

Would be cool if there was more rewards for higher difficulties basides experience...like exclusive hats or something. Maybe there is though.

Ye experience is pretty difficult but it takes a few tries to beat it and so it is perfect.

I can't imagine the higher difficulties tho.

Brakke

Banned
It's a reference to Goat Simulator by Coffee Stain Studios (goofy but fun thing):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265930/

I didn't understand the hat system at all. Need to read OP again. How do you know when one is rare?

All the rare ones I have are pretty conspicuous. A bird's nest, a fish, that goat head, ski goggle and knit cap, etc.

Hat system means you pretty much always bring someone with a lazer sight. I guess you could get real close and a side arm.

Tiny415

Neo Member
Just finished my first playthrough on regular (all 123 stars) and really enjoyed it. Thinking of going straight into the newgame+ and upping the difficulty.

eojoko

I beat it on Experienced and am having a hard time getting all the stars in Veteran. Stuck on the first 3 person challenge mission even. I can clear the mission, but someone always dies. Much more difficult than Experienced. I don't want to think about what the Outskirts will be like on Veteran.

Also, trying not to rely on Sally as much. She was pretty much the backbone of my team on Experienced.

And she was essential for the final boss. Not sure how I'm gonna take out all the shield orbs without her berserker and fatal shot.

Nightii

Banned
So no one here has the game and an old 3DS? Damn, I really want it, but if I can't play it at 60fps I would prefer to wait...

dLMN8R

That's right. They look indistinct, but they actually all have unique abilities, even if they are the same "class" like vanguard or something.

Also, it's pretty easy and quick to level characters up in this game, and the level cap is low.

Cool! Thanks for the info, will-do

So no one here has the game and an old 3DS? Damn, I really want it, but if I can't play it at 60fps I would prefer to wait...

I'm playing it on an original 3DS XL and the frame rate hasn't bothered me. I don't really know how to tell how much FPS it's running at, but I think it's fine. Just my opinion though.

Palehorse

Jumping in to say I'm loving the game. Hard to stop sometimes, and Experienced is a perfect level of difficulty for me.

To my surprise I forgot I had my 3D turned off for the first 4 hours or so. Popping it on was nice. The parallax isn't necessary obviously but I like the extra 'immersion'. If you're thinking you want a high frame rate the 3D is something you can do without.

Edit: Forgot to say I'm on N3DS

AKC12

I'm on the fence on this one. It looks really interesting, and I need something to play while I visit my parents next week, but I think I'll wait for the eshop christmas sale first and see what they offer. Luckily it's 15% off till 31.12 so that's cool.

How deep is the customization of squad mates? Like skills and abilities and such?

You cannot customize what abilities your squad mates get through leveling up. But there are a wide range of weapons and items you can equip to suit your style and needs. Health packs, armors, increasing your movement, increasing melee damage, an extra shot (small pistol), grenades and possibly even more.

Each steambot can use at least two types of weapons: A hand gun, and one of the following
-Sharpshooters (pistol with laser sight or a sniper rifle with laser sight)
-Assault (SMGs or Shotguns)
-Heavy (Grenade launchers as far as I encountered)

However your inventory is limited, even if you purchase inventory slots, you wish there are more, so you'll have to make some tough choices on what to keep and what to throw away.

TheMoon

I'm playing it on an original 3DS XL and the frame rate hasn't bothered me. I don't really know how to tell how much FPS it's running at, but I think it's fine. Just my opinion though.

Question is not if it's good or bad, it's if it changes when you turn on 3D. We know it's 30fps only with 3D enabled on all old 3DS models but is it 60fps with 3D off?

Oh. I was playing with 3D on and the framerate never bothered me. (Old 3DS XL.) there isn't much of a 3D effect with this game anyway...

I am thinking of getting a N3DS if they release the black one in the U.S.

TheMoon

Oh. I was playing with 3D on and the framerate never bothered me. (Old 3DS XL.) there isn't much of a 3D effect with this game anyway...

I am thinking of getting a N3DS if they release the black one in the U.S.

But if you could just check if it seems smoother when you turn 3D off, that would help all the people wondering about this very thing :)

But if you could just check if it seems smoother when you turn 3D off, that would help all the people wondering about this very thing :)

Okay. I just played two missions with 3D off. As far as I can tell, it's almost the same as with 3D on. Pretty smooth, but not perfect. I don't think it's 60 fps with 3D off, but I think it's perfectly playable for a strategy game. Hope this helps whoever was wondering.

eojoko

It's a turn based strategy game by the way. Most of the time you're looking at idle animations, slow-mo headshots, or characters running during their turn. Frame rate was consistent during my play, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't have mattered.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
From what I can tell, there's no fps difference on the original 3ds between 3d and 2d modes.

NewGame

Banned
This game is pretty good, I love the flexible difficultly paired with randomly generated levels.

After about 5 hours of playing I'd love to see a multiplayer version of this, the AI seems pretty average even on the elite difficulty.

I sort of wish the level up system was manual, I really like the variety of builds possible with different weapon types.

Overall this is a fantastic game and I can't wait to get home and play more of it.

eojoko

What is this game's new game+ mode? I'd really like to know.

You play with all the characters unlocked. There is also an item in your inventory indicating you've beaten the game. I haven't gotten far enough into my second playthrough to say if that item has any effect. If I had to guess, I'd say that dude researching alone in the Outskirts will react to it. A secret character has been hinted at in this game, right?

You play with all the characters unlocked. There is also an item in your inventory indicating you've beaten the game. I haven't gotten far enough into my second playthrough to say if that item has any effect. If I had to guess, I'd say that dude researching alone in the Outskirts will react to it. A secret character has been hinted at in this game, right?

Does ng+ reset your levels and items?

blu

Man, I love this game. And I haven't even started game+ (which I will again and again, knowing how many times I've been through A Fistful of Dirt..)

I've been pondering what makes Steamworld Heist on the 3ds, in particular, so special to me. And I've come to the conclusion this game is the epitome of 2D games, the way I envisioned them back then when I was just another kid playing Karateka and Conan on the apple2: smart game mechanics, atmospheric, delicious pixel art, great music, true "parallax" effect (i.e. stereoscopy), and all that fitting in your pocket.

Thank you, I&F!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Awesome, I got this downloading now. I was NOT a huge fan of SW Dig, I finished the game but deleted it off my memory card as soon as I was done with it.

Regardless I'm excited to give this game a chance. There has not been a truly outstanding 3DS release in all of 2015. I'm hoping this proves otherwise....

I'm at
deep space fighting the electric robots.

How much more missions do I have to go? I'm still absolutely loving the game!

Finally had the chance to dive into this: started on Experienced and just cleared everything up to the World 1 boss with all stars collected. Not much trouble along the way, although the last challenge mission did take more than one attempt to clear with all three stars. And on the one-man mission, I found out the hard way that the self-destructing enemies, well, self-destruct, and should not be engaged in melee.

I know I bring up Code Name: STEAM and Invisible, Inc. in practically every 2015 turn-based strategy thread, but it really does feel like SteamWorld Heist completes a trinity, covering a bit of the same territory as either of its cousins (fluctuating aim largely replacing RNG as in CN:S, escalating alarms and map/loot randomization as in Invisible, Inc.) while striking out in its own way. The mission variety stands out, even within a framework of random maps to make the missions replayable without opening the door to a single optimal solution. I'm impressed with how each one has a distinct identity thanks to mission-specific mechanics and varying limits on your party size.

I do find myself wishing there were a permadeath campaign, or some other kind of iron-man mode to mitigate unbounded risk-free grinding (which I don't have the patience to do, but is conspicuously an available option). The penalties for losing a mission are rather meaningless when you wise up to minimizing the risk of losing cash by keeping your reserves low, whether it's by spending down as far as you can before starting a mission or leaving everything in your inventory until it fills up.

The game is great on two screens, but I wonder if the forthcoming HD versions will have more real estate and a wider field of vision on the main screen. This materially affects the game when it comes to the ease of long-range aiming, but as it is I find myself scrolling the camera back and forth quite a bit.

Regardless, a slick experience, quick to pick up and play, with some very interesting ideas in class and item design. Of all the XCOM-inspired squad tactics games I've played of late, this is the easiest to get into for short sessions, partly as moving around the 2D map is so agile (though as with CN:S, I wish there were more transparency about enemy behaviour, particularly when it comes to movement ranges). I certainly look forward to what the rest of it has in store.

eojoko

Great insights and impressions. Seems like you already have a good sense of the game even though you're not even half way through it. Agree especially with wanting a more punishing mode. On harder difficulties, getting all stars is difficult even with grinding, but it would be nice to be able to play the game on lower difficulties and still manage more risk from permadeath or other stricter penalties.

Look forward to hearing further impressions after you've played more or finished it.

TheMoon

Just finished the Big Rig (is that what it's called?) challenge mission in the first part. The very long ship without any objectives where you just can go in and get as much swag as you can and then backtrack to the exit.

I thought I had screwed myself out of getting everyone home (playing on Experienced) after getting all the swag and starting on my way back when I got boxed in bad. Reloaded the save multiple times but I always lost one of my crew. It's an amazing feeling when you suddenly manage to position your team in a way that lets you get off a golden shot that takes out multiple threats combined with an enemy missing a sure killshot and then you end up outrunning them after all (after a few more close calls, of course). That was real tense.

Oh and I basically play Fire Emblem style: Reset or bust. Ain't nobody dying on my watch lol.

blu

Just finished the Big Rig (is that what it's called?) challenge mission in the first part. The very long ship without any objectives where you just can go in and get as much swag as you can and then backtrack to the exit.

I thought I had screwed myself out of getting everyone home (playing on Experienced) after getting all the swag and starting on my way back when I got boxed in bad. Reloaded the save multiple times but I always lost one of my crew. It's an amazing feeling when you suddenly manage to position your team in a way that lets you get off a golden shot that takes out multiple threats combined with an enemy missing a sure killshot and then you end up outrunning them after all (after a few more close calls, of course). That was real tense.

Oh and I basically play Fire Emblem style: Reset or bust. Ain't nobody dying on my watch lol.
I'm like you, always reloading if something goes wrong, and yet I finished one mission with 2 body-part boxes, as game was beyond saving.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
LOVING this game!

Question: How are yall handling leveling up multiple characters? Are yall just rotating guys in and out or sticking with the same crew?

staen

Just finished the game on Elite first playthrough at 27 hours 9 minutes. Probably much longer than most. Spent time doing solo missions with lower level characters, failed quite a few early game and had to replay a few missions for all the stars.

LOVING this game!

Question: How are yall handling leveling up multiple characters? Are yall just rotating guys in and out or sticking with the same crew?

I usually rotate them out or replay solo missions with lower level characters. In the end,I found myself just sticking to 5-6 guys. Billy and Sally were sadly almost completely neglected in my game. I think Sally was about level 3 when I finished. My favorites were Payroll, Sea Brass, Beatrix and Ivanski. Used Piper a lot too of course.

I do find myself wishing there were a permadeath campaign, or some other kind of iron-man mode to mitigate unbounded risk-free grinding (which I don't have the patience to do, but is conspicuously an available option). The penalties for losing a mission are rather meaningless when you wise up to minimizing the risk of losing cash by keeping your reserves low, whether it's by spending down as far as you can before starting a mission or leaving everything in your inventory until it fills up.

Early on, I did just that and spent all my money as soon as possible since there was a real chance of failure with every new mission I took. This doesn't work so well further into the game as gear cost, and even inventory space cost, rise dramatically. You definitely have to accumulate resources over several missions to attain the better stuff in the game. I've lost several thousands of water saving for more expensive items. Also, leaving your inventory space open to sell stuff means you're limiting the amount of space to keep good gear. There are a ton of rare drops that you cannot buy anywhere in the game and may want to keep for their utility.

I believe the developers initially considered permadeath but thought it too punishing. I guess what we got might be considered a bit of a compromise to some, but I think they struck a good balance. It's not like grinding really causes your characters to become overpowered in this game. Strength progression is split between levels and gear but with gear playing a more important role. Acquiring stronger gear is mostly tied to how far you are in the game rather than how much money you've acquired. Though there are stronger weapons that you can buy, in terms of strength, they're usually quickly replaceable as you progress and at that point it's a toss up if you want a weapon with more utility or more power. I don't think there's a clear bias towards one or the other.

I'm not against a more punishing mode, but I felt the balance was pretty good. Granted, now that I've finished elite, I do kind of want something like that since I don't have that incentive of trying a new difficulty in a second play through. It would be nice if something like that were introduced in the January update.

TheMoon

LOVING this game!

I rotate, yea. Valentine is a mainstay most of the time, though. Need one long range sniper badass always. Haven't gone back to replay old stages to level up Sally Bolt for example.

Status note: just slaughtered the first boss last night. Dude snuggled himself inbetween 3 self-destruct bots and I had a clean shot with Valentine's pierce shot ability. RIP :D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Where are yall putting this on your GOTY list?

#4 for me, and #1 3DS game of the year. No competition - the only 2015 retail I bought was Majora's Mask and on the eShop there was Box Boy and Stretchmo, and this is way better than both of them.

Santiako

I've been playing a couple of levels every day since release. I'm quite a bit into the second area now, and I just have to say that the game is outstanding. Mad props to the team and if anyone is on the fence, just go for it.

blu

Where are yall putting this on your GOTY list?

#4 for me, and #1 3DS game of the year. No competition - the only 2015 retail I bought was Majora's Mask and on the eShop there was Box Boy and Stretchmo, and this is way better than both of them.

2015 for me, 3ds-eShop-wise:

#1 BoxBoy
#2 Heist
#3 IronFall
#4 Xeodrifter
#5 Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (a Q4 2014 title which I did not play until 2015)

daydream

Banned
man oh man, image & form knocked it out of the park again. game's the real deal. fast-paced, intuitive, engaging, smartly designed in every way

we already knew they were talented - it's great to see they're growing as designers, too. dig was really fun but this feels even slicker, meatier and tighter

all they need is a memorable soundtrack for their games now, then i'd have a real hard time even coming up with a nitpick

Bought it, played just under an hour, love it

Intended to explore a ship before blowing the generator so I could make a beeline for the exit, stumbled upon the generator and some stupid robot shot at me, which ricocheted into the generator :D

Might have to stick with laser sighted non-spread weapons, my aim is dreadful without it

Came out of nowhere for me, never even heard of it until the GiantBomb QL went up. Hope I'm an outlier and it gets the exposure it deserves

staen

I thought they'd stop making music videos for the game's soundtrack after the game launched but Steam Powered Giraffe just uploaded their third music video today for the song "Star Scrap":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwOg5wI5Gj8

Not hard to find their other two videos but for the curious

2nd video uploaded right before the game's launch. The song, "The Stars", plays in game during
the ending credits
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3nssdp-0I

1st video uploaded a bit before the game's launch. "Prepare for Boarding" plays
after defeating the first boss
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8XRFjRng4

I'm a bit curious about the ship seen in the first uploaded video. Piper is running around in what appears to be her ship but it's different from the one you have in game. I'm assuming it's just some early version of the ship or just made for promotional purposes and you don't actually get to run around that version of the ship at any point in the game?

Top Bottom