• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale is [has won] the GameFAQs Best. Game. Ever. poll

Rematch: Best video game character of all time?

Results are only viewable after voting.
eCp8tEo.png

And the salt is hilarious.

chozen

Tumblr and some of 4chan is raiding the poll for undertale.

I don't know what to think, I really enjoyed undertale but OOT is like my number 1 game of all time.

Something tells me we would all forget about undertale pretty soon and it may just be a flavor of the month/year type of thing...

At the same time though I don't care too much about a gamefaqs poll lol.

Cade

Man, even OOT shouldn't be up there, and I love OOT. Undertale looks dope and I'm hype to play it soon but I hate when accolades are dumped on games when they haven't had any sort of chance to see if they stand the test of time.

Still, gamefaqs gonna gamefaqs

Catvoca

Banned
I get that this is a joke, that everyone is just gonna keep voting for Undertale until it wins, but I just don't think it's funny at all.

I don't know what to think, I really enjoyed undertale but OOT is like my number 1 game of all time.

Something tells me we would all forget about undertale pretty soon and it may just be a flavor of the month/year type of thing...

i feel the same way. it came out quite a while ago but only just noticed gaf being crazy over it like a month ago. it's niche enough that i think it's going to end up like spec ops the line is today where gaf in particular loves it but most people don't have an opinion or ignore it.

Plasma

Banned
This year's L block.

Still find it funny that Ocarina got there I wouldn't even say it was the best Zelda game but each to their own.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I was literally shaking with anger when I saw the voting results. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Let Zelda win," I shrieked at my computer. I woke up my mom and she knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst gaming-culture related event I've ever seen in my life.

I loved Nintendo and the Zelda franchise and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

A-V-B

I was literally shaking with anger when I saw the voting results. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Let Zelda win," I shrieked at my computer. I woke up my mom and she knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst gaming-culture related event I've ever seen in my life.

I loved Nintendo and the Zelda franchise and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

You should see the posts calling it an SJW game and that Toby Fox is in cahoots with Anita Sarkeesian or something. Like, it's almost impossible to tell if people are joking. It's wild.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
more like blunderfail

bounchfx

it's a great game that deserves the exposure. it has lots of hype in places like gaf, but outside of that it's still fairly unknown. the biggest issue is people overhyping it to those that might have liked it otherwise.

so what if it's not the best game ever. gamefaqs needs to take a chill pill

it's still fucking fantastic, especially coming out this year in a sea of derivative garbage

Polls like this should bar any release from the past 12mo, just to avoid hype-bandwagon games like this.

Also, online polls are dumb and mean nothing.

Kindekuma

Banned

There's constant threads on /v/ asking for people to not vote for undertale, but with that kind of reverse logic, everyone is voting for undertale and they're all getting mad by the results.

would someone spoil the game for me because i will never play it... whats soo great about it???

Having only barely touched the demo, it's got a bit of understated humor and you don't have to fight enemies, with talking it over being a viable means of progression. It's got an Earthboundish feel to it.

Maybe it's deeper than that, but this is what I got from my limited time with the demo and the talk about it.

Undertale is overrated and realistically shouldn't have beaten any of the titles in the last 3 rounds. But the internet loves this title so I suppose it shouldn't be too hard for it to win an undeserving victory on an internet poll.

Tagyhag

Doubt it, people haven't forgotten about Mother.

BashNasty

it didn't go on sale a few weeks ago during the autumn sale, the game is insanely popular right now and it's been out... for 3 months as of today. toby fox isn't gonna discount it, indies gotta make money too breh

Indies absolutely gotta make money too, which is why I can see Undertale going on sale. Visibility during a Steam sale is well worth a 25% discount.

Trust me, I get annoyed by people refusing to buy indie games unless they're on sale too, but a small discount makes good business sense.

spekkeh

Banned

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Internet culture (I'm an expert) but trolling and memes are a huge part of it. It's not like IRL where you can say random stuff and people shrug it off. What I'm saying is I got that reference.

Hasney

While it's a bit silly as I would think a game would need to be out longer to declare it the best thing ever, it's a GameFAQs poll. If it actually meant anything Final Fantasy VIII beating Vice City would be more hilarious, although I would just assume people failed to read Roman numerals properly or something.

Strike00

Banned
This year's L block.

Still find it funny that Ocarina got there I wouldn't even say it was the best Zelda game but each to their own.

OoT always reaches the finals on GameFaqs just like FF7 and if it's a character battle the finals are always Link vs Cloud.

Also it's pretty pathetic people feel the need to vote rally for a game to win a poll on GameFAQs, these people don't have much going on in their life it seems.

If they wanted to hijack these polls so bad why not vote rally for a game that''s actually good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
would someone spoil the game for me because i will never play it... whats soo great about it???

It was built in Game Maker and thus styled as a simple retro role playing game with pixel art graphics, Pokemon-like menus, levelling, and item management, and random encounters. It is elevated by its inventive use of the genre by subverting preconceived notions of the genre's tropes through emphasis on how you interact and deal with the wonderfully written cast of characters and 'enemies'. It is, as advertised, an RPG where you don't have to hurt anybody. The humour is cheeky and fun, the cast memorable, the means in which you can 'beat' enemies an often clever spin (both in game concept and presentation) on traditional ideas, and the soundtrack is incredible.

I have a handful of faults with it and I haven't finished it yet, but it's got a lot of personality and the ever so undefined "soul" in its vision. That is to say while it's obviously inspired by the likes of the Mother series, it's very distinct and memorable by its own merits, rather than acting as a homage to or tired retreading of an old genre.

Maybe it's deeper than that, but this is what I got from my limited time with the demo and the talk about it.

Yeah there's something under the surface that doesn't reveal itself until later. Not a twist so much but it preys on your assumptions of it being an RPG. The game becomes
extremely fucking dark
if you play it as you typically would an RPG
killing everything during random encounters. Killing all the bosses

Outside of that stuff it's a really well written game that'll have you feeling a spectrum of emotions. Plus the soundtrack is fucking great.

As far as it falling off the map next year. Answer honestly, give me 10 games of its ilk with a much better story.

i feel the same way. it came out quite a while ago but only just noticed gaf being crazy over it like a month ago. it's niche enough that i think it's going to end up like spec ops the line is today where gaf in particular loves it but most people don't have an opinion or ignore it.

Someone hasn't been to tumblr

I've only been cursory following this, but I find it hilarious. The only thing better would be if Undertale like beat Sephiroth for best game character/villian of all time just to see Gamefaqs - which feels like a message board time capsule from 1998 - implode.

Top Bottom