• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently Harry Potter as a franchise is coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

Ok, Harry Potter never properly left as it has a huge and very faithful fanbase, but its undeniable that after the last movie, and expectedly so, it went into a "recess", sort of.

Apparently though Rowling is back to pushing it hard and I find it amazing that she is after all sorts of medium. Anyway just recaping whats coming in the next few years:

- pottermore was launched as an online source of all things potter, which includes exclusive new story bits from rowling and serves as a platform for people to buy ebooks, audio books and collections in general.

- rowling is writing the script for the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie, and even though its not exactly HP its a spin off and it takes place in the same world, so yeah. Also it was confirmed to be a trilogy so there is much more coming in the future.

- they are preparing a play that will be a continuation of the story, called HP and the cursed child (which pretty much seems to be HP8). They are also launching the script in book form.

- the HP parks seem to be expanding even more, the universal orlando one got a pretty big new area, and universal holywood just oppened its own HP area. Valid to mention that they have a yearly harry potter celebration on the parks with actors coming by and some other cool stuff.

- they are relaunching the books in new versions with covers from different illustrators.

- they are also launching fully illustrated editions of all the books featuring drawings from jim kay, and they look awesome. Only philosopher stone is available for now, but the second one is coming this year.

- they oppened the leavesden studios in london for a tour which contains a lot of sets, costumes and other stuff they used in the filming of the movies.

- there is also an ongoing exhibition that tours the world with stuff used in the movies.

- it was also just announced that warner bros signed a partnership with CineConcerts for an orchastrated performance of each movie that will go on tour in Europe and North America starting with Philosopher stone (this year I think).

- not to mention the enormous amount of merchandise that ranges from clothing, to wands, drinks, video games and candies.

I think its pretty impressive how the franchise seem to be represented in pretty much every form of medium there is. 2016 and 2017 seem packed and as a fan I am very much looking forward to it. I honestly think that this is the right way to "milk" a franchise, because lets be honest, Rowling could just write a new book and everyone would buy it anyway. Its great that she is seeking different ways to approach new content regarding the series.

Is there any other franchise that was as big as HP in this aspect? I can only think of Star Wars.

Platy

Considering that games and things like that didn't stop from Return of the King till The Hobbit ...and the franchise has more than 50 years I would say Lord of the Rings

But yeah, it is kinda frightening the size Harry Potter is taking

Saya

A Harry Potter spin-off Netflix series would be pretty awesome.

I really want to visit the Harry Potter themepark someday. It looks so inviting and fun from all the photos I've seen.

She'll definitely write another book.

I'll harrumph about how the world building through Pottermore's been half-assed and unnecessary but read the book regardless.

LuuKyK

Feels like it's just a matter of time before she writes another book.

Not anytime soon, I dont think. She is involved with too many projects now to focus on another book and from watching her docummentary it was pretty clear she lives and breathes a book when she is writing, so not happening with these many distractions. But yeah, it will happen eventually.

I really want to visit the Harry Potter themepark someday. It looks so inviting and fun from all the photos I've seen.

Yeah a series would be a great idea. And the theme park is amazing! The attention to detail is scary. Not surprising considering Rowling herself was involved and everything went through her approval.

FrsDvl

Not anytime soon, I dont think. She is involved with too many projects now to focus on another book and from watching her docummentary it was pretty clear she lives and breathes a book when she is writing, so not happening with these many distractions. But yeah, it will happen eventually.

She's been writing other books though, under her different name. I think she's just taking a little break. And once she's done the series she's writing now, she'll return to the Potter world.

Doesn't she own pretty much everything as well? Except the movie rights to the books she has written (and the likeness of those adaptations)? So say, if she were to write a continuation, she could sell the rights to Universal for a lot more money?

Fat4all

Banned
yet we dont have a good video game

Pfft, shows what you know, Prisoner of Azkaban GBA was balla' as fuck.

hqdefault.jpg

The themepark is great! I've visited a few times and it's perfect for fans, there's lots of detail put into it.

I thought the handheld RPGs were alright, but that might be the nostalgia talking.

GB colour Harry Potter game was my first experience with a gamebreaking bug. If you collected quest items early in a specific order, a mission critical item would never show up alter on and you couldn't progress. There was a gaffer who worked on the English localisation of the game and they found the bug but couldn't fix it in time.

It was a fairly fun RPG, although at the time I'd only really played Pokemon Yellow and Gold/Silver to judge it against.

diaspora

GB colour Harry Potter game was my first experience with a gamebreaking bug. If you collected quest items early in a specific order, a mission critical item would never show up alter on and you couldn't progress. There was a gaffer who worked on the English localisation of the game and they found the bug but couldn't fix it in time.

WB and EA release right? Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

It was a fairly fun RPG, although at the time I'd only really played Pokemon Yellow and Gold/Silver to judge it against.

lmao, same.

woodland

I know a guy who works at that theme park.

Apparently the butterbeer ain't all that good :/

I was just there about a week ago and I loved the butterbeer. Pretty sure it's mostly cream soda and some butterscotch, but it's not bad at all. Unless you're a fiend who hates cream soda, then fuck off.

Also - would die to have books. I love the extra lore we get on Pottermore, but I hate theater and want the books as the primary source. Also, tired of Potter at the moment - there's so much potential. Personally, I would die for a story focused on wandlore, with one of Ollivander's ancestors as a main character or another big wandmaker.

Ecotic

Yeah The Cursed Child is going to be huge. Since they're releasing it as a book the midnight release will be a major global event. I would not be surprised at all if there's a sequel book after HP8 and they get the trio of actors back together and announce they're making them into movies.

Harry Potter makes for an amazing fictional universe. New book series could be set at the new American wizarding school or the Brazilian and Japanese schools and they would be amazingly best sellers and Warner Bros. would leap at the chance to make them into movies. The fanbase is super loyal and world wide.

yencid

they could easily have an expanded universe out of HP if they wanted. Which is kind of what theyre doing with fantastic beasts, hogwarts itself was founded in the 9th century (or so) and theyve seen a lot of great wizards so they could definitely open it up

Griss

I wish she'd just leave it alone unless she plans to write another book, and the story was wrapped up so neatly that I don't see how she could do another book / series and have it not feel like a massive comedown.

Still, she can do whatever she wants.

SoulUnison

Banned
I don't even mind.

She took a pretty healthy break from the series and wrote some other pieces, even under different pen names just to try to keep the "glint" of Harry Potter from affecting her other works. She's always been extremely charitable, down to earth, and seems really fun with a quick wit in interviews and such.

I figure if she managed to create a fictional universe with this much appeal and so many unexplored corners and possibilities, she deserves to ride it as far as she can as long as she doesn't start phoning it it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There's absolutely no way she doesn't end up writing another main-series book at some point.

Rootbeer

Banned
For a long time, people thought SW was done and over after the first three films, outside of some novels here and there. We saw how that panned out.

There is tremendous pressure on Rowling to do the same thing with HP, and it seems to be working.

Only thing missing for me is a 'create your own character' RPG, with a fully explorable hogwarts. Sadly in reality it'd likely be an MMO but shit I'd even play an MMO for a chance to make my own Hogwarts student.

dity

Only thing missing for me is a 'create your own character' RPG, with a fully explorable hogwarts. Sadly in reality it'd likely be an MMO but shit I'd even play an MMO for a chance to make my own Hogwarts student.
A MMO school full of only Griffindor students. I can't wait for this future to happen.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
For a long time, people thought SW was done and over after the first three films, outside of some novels here and there. We saw how that panned out.

There is tremendous pressure on Rowling to do the same thing with HP, and it seems to be working.

Not really, considering Lucas was talking shit about making like a dozen movies for many years.

Yeah The Cursed Child is going to be huge. Since they're releasing it as a book the midnight release will be a major global event. I would not be surprised at all if there's a sequel book after HP8 and they get the trio of actors back together and announce they're making them into movies.

Isn't this just supposed to be an eBook or is it actually coming out in print as well?

Also, I'd be totally down for more HP. This reminds me I should give the books a fresh read through sometime soon. It's been a while.

LuuKyK

they could easily have an expanded universe out of HP if they wanted. Which is kind of what theyre doing with fantastic beasts, hogwarts itself was founded in the 9th century (or so) and theyve seen a lot of great wizards so they could definitely open it up

I think the fact that she is revealing new Wizarding Schools from other countries is a way to imply that she doesnt feel restricted to writing about british wizards or Hogwarts for that matter.

I am sure if she writes another book it would be something in that direction.

Thank you OP for introducing me to the illustrated versions of this series.

You are welcome. I very much recommend them btw. The art in it is amazing.

Isn't this just supposed to be an eBook or is it actually coming out in print as well?

Also, I'd be totally down for more HP. This reminds me I should give the books a fresh read through sometime soon. It's been a while.

They never said anything about what formats they are going to release it, but I doubt it would be limited to ebooks. Wouldnt make sense at all.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not really, considering Lucas was talking shit about making like a dozen movies for many years.
Not true. There was a period where nothing more was going to happen. This was the period leading up to the Heir to the Empire novels. Why would Lucas allow novels like that if he was going to make sequel films? The concept was dead in the water. He later had a change of heart.

I think the fact that she is revealing new Wizarding Schools from other countries is a way to imply that she doesnt feel restricted to writing about british wizards or Hogwarts for that matter.

I am sure if she writes another book it would be something in that direction.

You are welcome. I very much recommend them btw. The art in it is amazing.

They never said anything about what formats they are going to release it, but I doubt it would be limited to ebooks. Wouldnt make sense at all.

Bought as soon as i learned of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom