• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 revision with PSVR integration, surely only a matter of time?

Chittagong

Gold Member
It seems Sony had to jump though quite a few hoops and loops to get PSVR done on PS4. Similar to how the broadband adaptor and HDD had to be gobbled onto a PS2.

With PS4 proving to have a long cycle, and PSVR seeing strong early sales, surely a PS4 with integrated PSVR functions is only a matter of time?

CdnqyAHWIAAwLnc.jpg:large

Looking at the pic, basically all the junk below the headset can go. What they need to revise

- Integrate social screen chipset onto main PWB
- Increase power supply
- Add PSVR output jacks

The power brick and USB arenot required anymore, nor is the extra HDMI, they can just have the existing USB ports, HDMI out and PSVR jacks that already feature integrated power, video and data.

Will make for a much tidier setup in the living room.

Slaythe

Never.

This is against the very idea of what PSVR is.

You're insane if you think they can cram all of that into the ps4.
Especially it would require several SKUs for existing ps4 users and the buyers of this specific one.

Not even talking about the price. No chance in hell.

as for PSVR SKU at 700+ euros, riiiiight.

wapplew

If we only need one cable that connect PSVR to PS4, I sure want one, it's easier for average costumer too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The complication is that another headset sku just for this PS4 would be required. Another thing for retailers to check, for customers to check...

The headset would have to REALLY take off in a huge way for it to be worth it to spend the money packing in the hardware.

And if it does unexpectedly sell the number of units it would take for this to make sense I'd imagine they'd have to start worrying about whether the sales are sustainable and how many people are left who want a PSVR and don't own a PS4.

I'd be shocked if it happens. It makes a whole lot more sense just to bundle it with the system.

Elandyll

Banned
They'll have to see if VR really takes off before adding to the BOM of a PS4.

Might never happen, as there's nothing wrong with it staying an optional accessory imo.

Kysen

They seriously need to upgrade the dedicated encoder chip which is used for second screen, vita remote play and recording. The quality it offers isn't good enough. 720p 60fps without recording is its current limit. Should be at minimum 1080p 60.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i would prefer that. just stick the VR processor inside the PS4 and use an external power brick like the XB1 if need be.

i really don't want to have a processor box/power brick/ps4 and a bunch of cables sitting about.

Oppo

Never.

This is against the very idea of what PSVR is.

You're insane if you think they can cram all of that into the ps4.
Especially it would require several SKUs for existing ps4 users and the buyers of this specific one.

Not even talking about the price. No chance in hell.

as for PSVR SKU at 700+ euros, riiiiight.
what the hell. there's nothing outlandish about the OP's idea. It's just the breakout box merged into the PS4.

demand is a question still obviously, but what do you mean "against the very idea of PSVR"??

this would be a separate "VR edition" that would be totally optional. do you not remember all the Slim revisions?

PSVR would have to be a pretty big hit to justify it though.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Slaythe said:
His suggestion is to move the PU into the box - existing HMDs would still work with new PS4.
It does eliminate the extra power-supply so the added cost to base PS4 would be purely the PU hardware itself. That said, I don't know if PU is as cheap of a component as network cards were when they were merged into PS2 - so pricing is a valid question.

gofreak said:
The complication is that another headset sku just for this PS4 would be required.
Unless they deliberately wanted to do that, there's no reason for it. Old headset should plug in just fine if they kept the interface. But this still all hinges on VR being popular enough to ship with the extras integrated.

Dohers.

When Sony do hardware revisions they usually take things out of the box to make the console smaller and cheaper, not the other way around.

E-phonk

Banned
I can see a future with a PSVR integrated into the PS4R, let's say Q4 2017.
If you don't have the PS4R and buy the PSVR helmet you need to buy the optional cable set to get you going.
That way they can drop the price of PSVR and make extra $$ on the cable set.

DrXym

The added box only looks so complex because it needs its own PSU, heat sink, HDMI in & out, cables etc to fudge it to work with the existing PS4.

I doubt making a PS4 "VR ready" entails a huge effort. Probably some extra image / audio processing circuitry and modified firmware and little else. I doubt it even adds a few bucks to the unit price. The buyer would still have to purchase the headset etc separately but integrating the functionality would cut down on a mess of cabling and clutter. But if they're fiddling with the PS4 then maybe they should toss in an extra bit of horsepower while they're at it to support higher resolution rendering, reduced latency and other VR enhancements.

If Sony were to produce a PS4+ they only do it if the sales are sustained and justify it. Not sure that's going to happen once the launch hype dissipates.

Hasney

Probably, but it depends which way they go. I doubt they could make a "slim" version with that in like the usual hardware revisions go, but use the extra space from a component shrink to put this stuff in could work.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yeah best to clarify that what I mean is that the components in the picture below PSVR will be integrated to whatever the next PS4 revision is, on the PWB, not that the PS4 will come with the headset.

This hinges on the assumption that that stuff has a negligible BOM impact on the console.

Initially PS4 Revision buyers would get some extra junk they don't need when they buy a PSVR headset, kinda like Xbox 360 Slim owners could toss the Kinect brick.

Man

It would not be worth the SKU confusion with PS5 (and PSVR2) surely to hit in 2020. Mere four years away.
PSVR will do really well and sell millions but not tens of millions.

I think so. Have no idea if they could merge it all into the main apu or not but would cut down on a lot of unnecessary stuff regardless.
Edit: yeah if there's a ps5 announced in a few years it might be better to wait, there will be 50+ million boxes that need the breakout box around launch.
A high bandwidth display port on the front of the PS5 should be a no brainer. If they are sticking with the ps4 for ages then maybe do a remodel launched alongside a gen 2 headset.

Espada

Seems more like a Playstation 5 thing along with an updated version of the headset.

Yup, I don't see them adding this to a PS4 revision and cutting into whatever profits they're making off the machine. PS5 as you said? It'll almost certainly have VR stuff built in.

VR still has a lot of challenges ahead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think so - depends how well PSVR takes off. Otherwise its just added cost when you want to be cost reducing, for the majority of people that won't use it.

Best case they add a rear USB port for neatness and maybe a separate Headset out so you don't need the HDMI passthrough on the breakout box? But I doubt they'd build in the processing stuff

AP90

They'll have to see if VR really takes off before adding to the BOM of a PS4.

Might never happen, as there's nothing wrong with it staying an optional accessory imo.

This. Plus its more profitable and easier for them to just gave people buy accessories instead of a re-engineering/designing the unit.

Business

Why complicate both the PS4 and the PSVR SKU's with different versions. That's confusing for consumers and worst to stock for retailers, plus Sony will always want to offer the cheapest possible PS4 SKU.

As others have said, this all depends on how well the current version of PSVR sells. With that preamble out of the way, it's a lock to happen.

dock

I could see this happening with the next major revision of the PS4, definitely. It's the same as the Xbox 360 Slim which didn't need a separate PSU to power the Kinect.

By xmas 2017 you should be able to buy a PSVR 1.1 without the extra junk, and a PS4 with a PSVR socket.

ZehDon

It seems Sony had to jump though quite a few hoops and loops to get PSVR done on PS4. Similar to how the broadband adaptor and HDD had to be gobbled onto a PS2.

With PS4 proving to have a long cycle, and PSVR seeing strong early sales, surely a PS4 with integrated PSVR functions is only a matter of time?

CdnqyAHWIAAwLnc.jpg:large

Looking at the pic, basically all the junk below the headset can go. What they need to revise

- Integrate social screen chipset onto main PWB
- Increase power supply
- Add PSVR output jacks

The power brick and USB arenot required anymore, nor is the extra HDMI, they can just have the existing USB ports, HDMI out and PSVR jacks that already feature integrated power, video and data.

Will make for a much tidier setup in the living room.
What on Earth are you talking about? PS4 is poised to have a shorter cycle than the PS3, and we have literally zero idea of PSVR's initial pre-orders have fared.

The items you're requesting add bulk, heat, and expense into a base console, that serves no purpose if you're not using VR. Why mess with the elegant hardware, which would also require a new PSVR SKU that doesn't come with all of the things, when a slim version of the PS4 and the current PSVR would be nearly perfect?

FHIZ

At best we'll probably get a redesign with a few more and repositioned ports, like the USBs being moved to the back so you don't have all this shit hanging out the front of your system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Unless they deliberately wanted to do that, there's no reason for it. Old headset should plug in just fine if they kept the interface. But this still all hinges on VR being popular enough to ship with the extras integrated.

Yeah I guess it's not a big deal to keep one sku, with different instructions depending on your ps4. That aside then, I guess it comes down to cost and popularity.

when it's cheap enough then maybe. But would make lowering the PS4 pricepoint more difficult.
On the flipside it would make lowering the psvr price more easy. Depends on popularity though, I can only think of Kinect as another example of this kind of thing, launching alongside a new 360 that had a custom cable port built in so you didn't need a seperate power source.

inki

I actually could see the PS(?) being integrated into the PSVR break out box, not the other way around.
VR will be around longer than the PS4. So make the PS VR Iterative.
Just think, no need for a tv! PS Vue will replace your DVR. It's all towards the same goal. A single box (in your living room) for all your entertainment needs.
That one box will also eventually fit in your pocket and will be your phone as well.
Eventually down to a chip implanted.
Then Blade Runner happens...... or Skynet
True story.

Ogni-XR21

I don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe they add a USB port on the back so you don't need to use the front port, but other than that I don't think it would make any sense.

I dunno about that. it's a supplement, not necessarily a complement.

when kinect came out for 360 it always remained an option. i expect vr to be the same.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
i think this will then be the PS5. with better gpu and cpu, but fully bacjkwards compatible to ps4.
they will just continue the current architecture and just beef it up and call it ps5.
then with VR shit built in.

I'm guessing not, since I doubt PSVR will shift the units to make it worthwhile. And the people it's being sold to will already have a PS4 and/or are unlikely to care about all the cables.

On the other hand, if PSVR becomes wildly popular, then I expect we'll see an integrated PSVR4 to be released alongside the PS4-slim or whatever.
Combining the PSVR breakout box with the PS4 is hardly a difficult engineering problem for Sony, if there is a market for it.

I don't expect a PS5 any time soon. Hardware has been pretty much stagnant since the PS4 released, so I don't expect a PS5 until we see low-power GPUs that can easily manage 1080p60 or 4K30. Without a major performance boost, a PS5 makes no sense.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i think this will then be the PS5. with better gpu and cpu, but fully bacjkwards compatible to ps4.
they will just continue the current architecture and just beef it up and call it ps5.
then with VR shit built in.

this makes too much sense.

klaushm

I can see it already, a slim version of PS4 with the breakout box inside it.

PS4 Slim |OT| Not the real slim shady

Top Bottom