• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 revision with PSVR integration, surely only a matter of time?

SOR5

I see it becoming integrated with the next big Playstation if successful, but not mandatory just yet

singhr1

What on Earth are you talking about? PS4 is poised to have a shorter cycle than the PS3, and we have literally zero idea of PSVR's initial pre-orders have fared.

The items you're requesting add bulk, heat, and expense into a base console, that serves no purpose if you're not using VR. Why mess with the elegant hardware, which would also require a new PSVR SKU that doesn't come with all of the things, when a slim version of the PS4 and the current PSVR would be nearly perfect?

You have an odd interpretation of "nearly perfect"

It could be a SKU bundle for first time ps4 owners looking to get into VR too. As a new owner, I'd prefer a single box that's plug and play instead of connecting two smaller boxes together, messing with cleaning up an extra 4 cables, and then playing.

Part of the point of the PSVR is to extend the lifespan of ps4 like how Kinect did for Xbox last gen or the "new 3ds" for Nintendo. New hardware does that

Maybe on PS5.
If this thing takes off this generation and they can keep costs down.
I think the hardcore underestimate how much of a niche peripheral this is.

I'm willing to bet than less than half of PS4 owners will own the VR headset in the PS4's lifetime at its current price point.
And that's if it's a success and sells out in the next year and breaks records and all that shit people on these gaming aficionado websites like to celebrate.
This is still very much an experiment and you guys are the Guinea pigs. It's not a cheap light up wand they're selling.

Well, they are but you get my point.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe on PS5.
If this thing takes off this generation and they can keep costs down.
I think the hardcore underestimate how much of a niche peripheral this is.

I'm willing to bet than less than half of PS4 owners will own the VR headset in the PS4's lifetime at its current price point.
And that's if it's a success and sells out in the next year and breaks records and all that shit people on these gaming aficionado websites like to celebrate.
This is still very much an experiment and you guys are the Guinea pigs. It's not a cheap light up wand they're selling.

Well, they are but you get my point.

Hopefully not.

I am hoping the PSVR will be a thing of its own and no longer tethered to a PS console.

Hope wireless VR headset will be a proper thing before PS5 is out.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense, its almost guaranteed if VR is a hit.
The trouble is, even if you assumed they added this from today and all new PS4s had it built-it, there are still 30m-odd consoles out there without the PS VR prerequisites.

Those people would need the bits and bobs that you'd seek to integrate, the stuff in the breakout box, maybe the power etc.

So you either have to have two versions of PS VR on sale - one with these bits and one without, but retailers wouldn't be keen on that and it could add consumer confusion, or you integrate it into the revised hardware and still bundle it all in the PS VR box anyway.

But if you do that, all you've done is add cost to the PS4 console.

The trouble is, even if you assumed they added this from today and all new PS4s had it built-it, there are still 30m-odd consoles out there without the PS VR prerequisites.

Those people would need the bits and bobs that you'd seek to integrate, the stuff in the breakout box, maybe the power etc.

So you either have to have two versions of PS VR on sale - one with these bits and one without, but retailers wouldn't be keen on that and it could add consumer confusion, or you integrate it into the revised hardware and still bundle it all in the PS VR box anyway.

But if you do that, all you've done is add cost to the PS4 console.
PS Move Controllers don't come with the Playstation Eye unless its a bundle, I'm sure they could sell the other stuff separately. OP had a great example of the PS2 Slim having an integrated ethernet port whereas the original system required an addon.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mangochutney said:
OP had a great example of the PS2 Slim having an integrated ethernet port whereas the original system required an addon.
And indeed the add-on was still sold (in bundles and separate) after 700xx series came to the market.

With PS4 proving to have a long cycle, and PSVR seeing strong early sales, surely a PS4 with integrated PSVR functions is only a matter of time?

The PS4 has been out for just over two years, it's not proving to have a long cycle. PS3 and Xbox 360 were out what, 7,8 years before their successors were released. There is no way to know after only two years that the PS4 would be around any longer than that before the next version was to come out.

As far as PSVR seeing strong sales early, it hasn't sold a single unit yet. It much to early to tell something like that. Did Sony even publish preorder numbers?

cakely

If and only if PSVR takes off I could really see this.

It does remind me of the old PS2 broadband adapter vs. The PS2 with integrated ethernet, or the old Xbox 360 vs. the one with integrated wi-fi.

AmyS

Not happening. There might be a slimmer PS4, but not a PS4 that includes all the things of PSVR.

PS5 - PSVR2 no later than fall 2020.

georly

It does remind me of the old PS2 broadband adapter vs. The PS2 with integrated ethernet, or the old Xbox 360 vs. the one with integrated wi-fi.

Yup. If they can afford to cram the box into a ps4 for the next revision without it affecting cost too much and this enables them to sell more PSVRs at an even cheaper price, sure, why not. Won't happen for at least a year, if not two, but it could happen. And this really all hinges on when the PS5 is going to come out.

Edit: I think a ton of posters are misunderstanding what the OP is asking.

I have a feeling it'll be awhile before VR becomes as widely used as online multiplayer and Netflix.

kennyamr

By seeing that picture, you can see how we the PS4 won't need any more ports or any type of modification.

There is an extension there for the headset in case you need it on the bottom right, plus 2 AC cables on the bottom left for the black box.
The camera will be connected to that black box and the only 2 cables actually going directly to the PS4 are on the left, 1 that goes from that black box to the camera input on the PS4 and the other one that connects to the PS4 HDMI port.
That black box will give the headset enough power for the screen to work, the PS4 doesn't actually need any more extra power to sustain the headset.

viHuGi

Banned
Not likely but we will get a Ps4 slim for sure which will have probably more ports and storage and will be easier to connect PS VR or something like that.

wachie

Why would sony redesign the console based on an accessory? And an accessory that is costlier than the console itself?

Nope.

With the size of the PSVR's box and the fact it's got it's own cooler inside, it's unlikely unless you want PS4 Slim to actually be PS4 fat.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
What on Earth are you talking about? PS4 is poised to have a shorter cycle than the PS3, and we have literally zero idea of PSVR's initial pre-orders have fared.

What gives you that impression?

Edit: OP - I think you're totally right. MS came out with a Kinect-ready 360 that didn't require the extra power supply for the Kinect. PS should probably do the same. I can't imagine the rage my wife would exude if she saw all these wires and boxes all over our living room.

UpwindPoet24

Neo Member
Part of the appeal of the PS4 is how compact it is. Shoving that VR processor box would enlarge the size considerably and then we'll all be making VCR jokes like we did with the Xbone.

Never.

This is against the very idea of what PSVR is.

You're insane if you think they can cram all of that into the ps4.
Especially it would require several SKUs for existing ps4 users and the buyers of this specific one.

Not even talking about the price. No chance in hell.

as for PSVR SKU at 700+ euros, riiiiight.

Thats not what he is talking about.

A PS4 revision with integrated breakout box is a certainity in my view.

TheMan

if this takes off, then the next playstation will surely be designed with VR in mind. As for the ps4, i doubt there will be much integration. Bundles, yes.

Ash735

I can't see it happening for a very long time, however a new PS4 with more USB ports, come on, USB can't be that expensive Sony!

edit: Ideally, a new model with more USB slots and a SATAIII Bridge and increased hard drive caddy size so people can REALLY push those SSD's to improve loading times.

Hale-XF11

I would not be at all surprised if they did this at some point. Maybe even make the PS4 more powerful while they're at it.

I don't own a PS4 yet, so an all-in-one bundle would be most appreciated. I might even wait till one exists... but it's not coming any time soon.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This is flat out not going to happen with the current PS4

Now If Sony goes the xbone route and plans on beefing up the specs or in the PS5 if VR really takes off ....yup

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i think this will then be the PS5. with better gpu and cpu, but fully bacjkwards compatible to ps4.
they will just continue the current architecture and just beef it up and call it ps5.
then with VR shit built in.

This is my thought as well.

Drooling at the though of HBM ram stacked as well.

DieH@rd

Banned
Looking at the pic, basically all the junk below the headset can go. What they need to revise

- Integrate social screen chipset onto main PWB
- Increase power supply
- Add PSVR output jacks

The power brick and USB arenot required anymore, nor is the extra HDMI, they can just have the existing USB ports, HDMI out and PSVR jacks that already feature integrated power, video and data.

Will make for a much tidier setup in the living room.

Adding built-in PSVR support is all nice and fine, but for now VR is unproven technology and nobody knows what percentage of PS4 users will actually use it.

If they add for example $5 of additional components to PS4 this year [it would needed to be more], and then sell another 50M consoles before console reaches EOL... they will "loose" $250M in manufacturing cost.

Serious businesses need to take a real hard look at how they manage their products, and for now in 3rd year of PS4, having VR being a "external accessory" is a good thing.

We can count ourself lucky that they actually prepared PS4 for it from the start. Camera is VR-proofed, Moves are highly precise and in market for a long time, DS4 is tracking-ready, and they've dedicated a lot of effort into making SW/HW/Services as good as possible.

As for PS5... if they decide to continue with VR [who knows, maybe entire platform will fall on PC&consoles in few years] I'm sure they will craft a console that is even more VR friendly [maybe even compatible with PSVR v1 headset].

majik13

yep, I think a lot of people are thinking the same thing. But doesn't make sense for them to do it until its officially a successful platform. But even then it might be a tough sell. PS4 has to be nearing some sort of market saturation.

And indeed the add-on was still sold (in bundles and separate) after 700xx series came to the market.
Of course it was, for people without the revision to get the feature. This is not like the network adapter, though.

By integrating the breakout box, power, ports you are not giving the consumer any new features because you still require the purchase of a PS VR headset.

Imagine the network adapter came in two parts. Part A and Part B. To get connected you needed Part B. But Part B required Part A to perform it's function.

Imagine Sony revised the console and included Part A - but not Part B. The consumer still cannot get connected.

All they've done is added cost without giving me the benefit of connecting online. I still need to go and buy the add on.

And because many millions have a version of the console that doesn't include Part A, you either need two versions of the add on, which is a faff and confusion to idiots, or you just give Part A and B in the add on regardless, but then you're giving Part A to people who already have Part A. Again, another wasted cost.

Too much effort.

Further, if we assume both consoles will see a slim revision, Sony would need to find cost savings over and above what Microsoft is able to find if they wish to remain price-competitive with the Xbox One, as well as substantial space savings to make room for everything.

Maybe it can be done, but what you will likely get in the revision is better ports and placement so that the set up is a little more graceful.

DieH@rd

Banned
yep, I think a lot of people are thinking the same thing. But doesn't make sense for them to do it until its officially a successful platform. But even then it might be a tough sell. PS4 has to be nearing some sort of market saturation.

PS4 is still at $350, and Sony can sell a fuckton of consoles in the upcoming years.

Many expect [even without any VR bump] that PS4 will sell more in 2016 than in 2015. Sales in 2017 will most likely get a big bump when MSRP hits $299. This price pushed PS3 sales into highest gear. After that we can start expecting drops in yearly sales, but they will still push al lot all up to arrival of PS5 [I don't expect it will drop below 10M/y].

majik13

PS4 is still at $350, and Sony can sell a fuckton of consoles in the upcoming years.

Many expect [even without any VR bump] that PS4 will sell more in 2016 than in 2015. Sales in 2017 will most likely get a big bump when MSRP hits $299. This price pushed PS3 sales into highest gear. After that we can start expecting drops in yearly sales, but they will still push al lot all up to arrival of PS5 [I don't expect it will drop below 10M/y].

I havent really looked into it, but didn't PS3 have a very slow start, unlike PS4. Not to say that PS4 cant still sell a lot. But is it worth adding more cost into the console, for something they potentially wont need to use?

Your comparisons are broadband internet and hdd. Getting a little ahead of yourself assuming vr is even anywhere close to being an essential peice of tech like those are. Vr, at this point is still a glorified peripheral until the mass market says otherwise. People need to cool their heels a bit.

Unless they deliberately wanted to do that, there's no reason for it. Old headset should plug in just fine if they kept the interface. But this still all hinges on VR being popular enough to ship with the extras integrated.

No, he's right. You'd need an extra SKU for the headset. You'd need one SKU that was headset + box, and another SKU that was just the headset because you'd have to have one SKU compatible with the old PS4 and one where it removed the box because you had a new PS4 that incorporated it.

A PS4 revision with integrated breakout box is a certainity in my view.

No, this would be a waste of money for Sony. They would be adding in cost to every single PS4 sold for something only a small fraction of the buyers would use. There's no reason for them to increase their cost to manufacture a PS4 for this.

Nope. too late in the cycle to be confusing people with an additional sku for the vr headset. Once the new PS4 is out, you'd still have to sell the PSVR set with the breakout box and note which PS4's require it and which series do not.

PS5 will integrate it.

Top Bottom