• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 revision with PSVR integration, surely only a matter of time?

MKP64

Nope. Don't see how op thinks PS4 being out for 2.5 years means it's gonna be a long cycle. This gen is pretty
much a transition to whatever is next. I'm sure PS5 will be built with VR and AR in mind.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Imagine.

PS4 slim + PSVR + Move Controller - $699

Same price as the Oculus Rift. But the 'complete package' and not just the HMD. Yeah still expensive as shit for something to be really successful, but you never know.

CamHostage

If they add for example $5 of additional components to PS4 this year [it would needed to be more], and then sell another 50M consoles before console reaches EOL... they will "loose" $250M in manufacturing cost.

But Sony also needs to put out a new version of the console every once in a while to refresh the market and capitalize on hardware consolidation opportunities. If they added the VR chipset, that along with the typical bigger HDD and game pack-in and whatever other small upgrades (assuming we're not even getting into the "PS4.5" discussion...) might make for an appealing new package without having to drop the price. Save that bomb drop for when you really need to take action, and give your future customers a new box that says, "Hey, you know what else you could buy for me...?"

My concern on this PSVR/PS4 combo option goes the opposite direction: Sony would have to market two different VR SKUs, one with the breakout box and one with just the headset components. (Granted, the primary package might be a console+headset combo box, but if they're making a new console, there would have to be reason to keep the old version, integration price seems to be the only barrier and we don't know what they'd save or lose on that version of a box.) Selling VR to the world is already difficult enough, having to educate customers on which VR package will work for them (and why they can't just buy the cheaper package) might hurt the process.

Unless they deliberately wanted to do that, there's no reason for it. Old headset should plug in just fine if they kept the interface. But this still all hinges on VR being popular enough to ship with the extras integrated.

He's saying the old headset already comes with the PU anyways, so you need a new SKU that comes without not to duplicate costs.

If the PU is cheap enough they might just be willing to eat the cost.

He's saying the old headset already comes with the PU anyways, so you need a new SKU that comes without not to duplicate costs.

If the PU is cheap enough they might just be willing to eat the cost.

yeah that would be the only real challenge i could forsee.

they could always just make it to where the PS4 Slim simply comes with all that built in and all the extra ports. you can still use the PU and launch headset with it fine if you want, but it isn't necessary.

maybe leading up to the Slim launch they could stop making the standard PSVR sku, and instead start making a headset-only sku, and then a "value" sku that comes with the PU and all the normal stuff the original sku had, and maybe throw in the camera and some game vouchers. that way original PS4 owners could get the value sku and newcomers that only own a Slim could buy just the headset. in all scenarios every PS4 would be compatible with the value sku, the headset-only sku would require a Slim, or sold-separately PU.

either way, it might be too late into this gen for them to commit to that kind of hardware package shuffling, so if we don't end up getting it then nbd. they could always slim down the PU in a later revision of PSVR. i'd actually like to see them offer a PS4 faceplate that has a built in camera stand, so you could have the camera clipped onto the top of your PS4 to keep it from getting knocked over or the cord pulling it.

hesido

I liked the idea. Getting rid of all those cables is smart. Don't think it would cause a lot of confusion either... PS4 VR all in one package - Everything you need for VR in one convenient box.

CamHostage

MS came out with a Kinect-ready 360 that didn't require the extra power supply for the Kinect. PS should probably do the same. I can't imagine the rage my wife would exude if she saw all these wires and boxes all over our living room.
They seriously need to upgrade the dedicated encoder chip which is used for second screen, vita remote play and recording. The quality it offers isn't good enough. 720p 60fps without recording is its current limit. Should be at minimum 1080p 60.

I don't know much about the PSVR breakout box myself except for what it doesn't do (no GPU/CPU assistance,) but is there anything about the breakout box that would make it unreasonable to consider integrating with the current chipset?

My understanding is that the breakout box accessorizes the functions of the display and audio services, helping to produce the dual-"monitor" images (or displaying the standard PS4 display in "cinematic mode" VR) as well as preparing an audio mixdown that more accurately represents the 3D scene. This all sounds to me (which counts for nothing) like functions the onboard AV modules should be doing anyway if they could. These are units so far downstream that changes to them shouldn't introduce fragmentation to the development process or current software compatibility. I'm not sure how often console manufacturers touch those components (the only time I can think of offhand of a console that majorly upgraded its A/V was when Xbox introduced the HDMI model; there was also that "NES 2" that downgraded to remove composite, insanely enough) but even assuming it adds nothing new to the PS4's abilities, is taking another pass at the console's output units not a reasonable step for a console iteration?

I see them releasing a version with a god damn USB port in the back (why it didn't launch with one I'll never know) but I don't see them adding the breakout box into the base hardware this generation unless PSVR has like a 90% attach rate (doubtful) and they'd still have no reason to replace the console

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
crazygambit said:
He's saying the old headset already comes with the PU anyways, so you need a new SKU that comes without not to duplicate cost.
I was thinking more along the lines of new SKU replacing old one and start selling standalone PU/cable kit for old PS4 users. Might be an arbitrary distinction, but logistics seem simpler.

Top Bottom