• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Staff Breakdown: Miyamoto Supervising Director then 50/50 Collaboration

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The staff credits aren't too much of a surprise. Nintendo / Platinum / Bee Tribe/ and several A/V subcontracting companies.

Producer / Supervising Director
Shigeru Miyamoto (N)

Producer
Tadashi Sugiyama (N)
Atsushi Inaba (P)

Assistant Producer
Hiroshi Matsunaga (N)
Takanori Fukuyama (P)

Director
Yugo Hayashi (N)
Yusuke Hashimoto (P)

Supervisor
Takaya Imamura (N)
Kazuaki Morita (N)

Program
Nintendo programming team actually handled the program in Kyoto according to the credits. Even the enemy program during the game was programmed by Nintendo. I was surprised by this.

Art
Nintendo did zero art. Platinum (and several outsource agencies including BeeTribe, XAX, Alvion, Teco) did all the art.

Music
Surprisingly Platinum and T's Music Company did all the music.

Voice / Script
Nintendo programmed all the speech in the game. Supposedly Mitsuhiro Takano (SF64) wrote the script again, but I might have missed his name in the credits.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Nintendo did zero art. Platinum (and several outsource agencies including BeeTribe, XAX, Alvion, Teco) did all the art.

lol and who was it that kept insisting that Platinum wasn't responsible for the unimpressive graphics?

did you mean director? or has nintendo really changed things up in preparation for the nx

No, he meant what he wrote.

;)

the credits have a very cool homage to iwata too:

it says after the end of the credits scene: this game is dedicated to our wingman who fell in battle.

Glowsquid

Supposedly Mitsuhiro Takano (SF64) wrote the script again, but I might have missed his name in the credits.

For references:

http://stack.net.au/games/features/star-man-shigeru-miyamoto-interview

Miyamoto: We strengthened the elements from the NINTENDO 64 version and implemented new interpretation together with long term series team members - the character design supervisor, Takaya Imamura and the script writer – planning, Mitsuhiro Takano. Please look forward to the future.

it says after the end of the credits scene: this game is dedicated to our wingman who fell in battle.

The feels...

BY2K

Membero Americo

Are you sure? I just checked them and I didn't see it.

EDIT: wait nevermind

:_:

Instro

lol and who was it that kept insisting that Platinum wasn't responsible for the unimpressive graphics?

??? The issue with the visuals is that a large portion of the WiiU's limited resources are being sucked away by the gamepad integration.

L Thammy

So, the people who attribute anything interesting about the gameplay to Platinum are right or wrong?

That's pretty great.

Oblivion

It's really rare for Miyamoto to actually credit himself as a director, and after all these years, he finally does so for Starfox of all games? It's rather strange.

Javier

Man, even after all this time, the feels are still there.

Is this the first game that credits both Iwata and Kimishima as Executive Producers?

L Thammy

It's really rare for Miyamoto to actually credit himself as a director, and after all these years, he finally does so for Starfox of all games? It's rather strange.

Well Fox McCloud is supposedly based off Miyamoto. Maybe Star Fox Zero is his Mary Sue fanfiction.

Nanashrew

Banned

Yeah, that's true. What was Miyamoto's last directorial role? It feels like its been forever.

Nanashrew

Banned
Mario Artist Polygon Studio in 1999.

That's a really long time ago. One day I'd really love to try those Mario Artist games.

Pikmin 3 (I don't think this is explicitly stated, but it's plainly obvious he had a rather large hand in the development of that game), then Wii Music?

I thought he was just general producer? Though I wouldn't doubt that he would have a bit of a hands on role with that series in particular.

Really shocked to see that the enemy programming was done by Nintendo because it looks pretty fantastic, didn't realize their skill in AI and simply attributed it to platinum.

Wait... they hired Platinum for the art and music? What?

What?

I need... I need to go to bed now. I don't want to think about this.

Oblivion

That's a really long time ago.

It also doesn't exist.

I thought he was just general producer? Though I wouldn't doubt that he would have a bit of a hands on role with that series in particular.

There's a few games where he's not officially listed as a director that everyone (well, almost everyone. Not gonna name names..) agrees that he was mostly in charge (OoT, Super Mario Galaxy, and NSMBW come to mind).

Not really. He hasn't been director on a game in awhile.

Uh..that's the point.

Nanashrew

Banned
Really shocked to see that the enemy programming was done by Nintendo because it looks pretty fantastic, didn't realize their skill in AI and simply attributed it to platinum.

Makes sense to me. Nintendo has always been good with AI in various forms. It's just that we don't often see certain types like here with Star Fox Zero, being more skill based and arcade heavy.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

He isn't the director though, two other men are the official directors. He is a supervising director ;)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Apparently somewhere down the line people forgot nintendo were known as one of the best developers in the world.

El Odio

Banned

I wish I didn't click on this tbh. To see that at the end... Oh god I'd bawl like a baby.
I almost am now ;w;

Geg

Platinum's music team + T's Music is basically the godlike team of composers behind Okami, Bayo 1 & 2 and the Wonderful 101 right? Let's hope so.

Top Bottom