• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylas

Oh, I do agree. It has a lot of the design issues that plague the game, like nonsense content progression (people have come to accept the alliance raids as DoA content gear wise but that doesn't make it better designed by nature), and fragmented pieces of content that heavily leans on the Duty Finder. It's at least understandable that content progression was always going to be messed up at this point in the patch cycle.

It wasn't ever going to be great for sure, but... I don't know. When you commit to give content a second pass, you at least should give it your best effort? This doesn't look like this team's best effort. Hopefully they learn valuable lessons from it (I feel like I'm saying this way too much) and hopefully it's not too late to make it right for Eureka or whatever their next iteration is.
It always seemed weird to me that they were reworking it while they were ostensibly spending a ton of their resources on SB. I have faith that they did the "best" they could with the framework that already existed from the initial implementation.

At least we can all say that it's not as bad as Verminion.

ebil

It always seemed weird to me that they were reworking it while they were ostensibly spending a ton of their resources on SB. I have faith that they did the "best" they could with the framework that already existed from the initial implementation.

Yeah, maybe they didn't go all out on it because they were fully aware that it had a shelf life of a few weeks at best.

ebil

I still do my verminion challenge log every week because it's a lot of MGP for no effort at all. I've been done with the tournament for months.

Arkeband

Banned
I've still never touched Verminion.
Does anyone even still play it?

No, and I expect them to go back at some point and 'revamp' that too, which the community should immediately respond with

stop-stop-stop-stop-22065.gif

They need to learn to deepen the things that work and drop the things that don't.

studyguy

Anyway things that will likely never happen to me ingame:
[_] Win 3 lines at WT
[_] Win the jumbo cactpot
[_] Get a i280

Probably just gonna roll on some Atelier till SB at this rate.

iammeiam

Nah.

Verminion was a waste of time and energy once and is sectioned off in a corner where it doesn't interfere with anything else. It's also an alright execution of what it's trying to be, from what I can tell. The problem is largely that what it's trying to be is something nobody asked for, not that it's terrible at being what it is.

Diadem at this point is worse because it's been a bigger resource sink, their second attempt actually seems less viable long-term than the first (aether currents were manageable without a full party; the FATE grind is pretty bad if you go in with only a couple of others.), and at some point they realized the thing they made was so bad almost nobody would bother with it so they crammed a stat stick in it in a desperate bid to encourage repeat attendance. EM not scaling to party size is going to be a bigger issue long-term once the shiny wears off.

New Diadem only makes sense for me if they initially had way more ambitious plans for the revamp and abandoned them at some point due to time; it's not even a particularly useful test of how the playerbase will react to anything because reactions are heavily influenced by where we are in the expansion's lifecycle.

Also Gathering Diadem being a carbon copy of combat Diadem, just one only populated with gathering parties, is pretty dumb.

New Diadem only makes sense for me if they initially had way more ambitious plans for the revamp and abandoned them at some point due to time; it's not even a particularly useful test of how the playerbase will react to anything because reactions are heavily influenced by where we are in the expansion's lifecycle.
That's my take on it. "New" Diadem is basically a victim of Stormblood and devs having to finish that instead of worrying about this.

My god some of the MSQ quests have me shouting at my TV

you want me to go get coruel skins for you to sell so you can go home?! take my bloody money so I dont have to do that

also this whole area of moody elfs and that stupid ass inquisitor, youd just tell him to fuck off.

scy

It wasn't ever going to be great for sure, but... I don't know. When you commit to give content a second pass, you at least should give it your best effort? This doesn't look like this team's best effort. Hopefully they learn valuable lessons from it (I feel like I'm saying this way too much) and hopefully it's not too late to make it right for Eureka or whatever their next iteration is.

When you make a big deal about bringing it back and note the problems with it, you tend to assume they'll do something about the content. In the aftermath of the Yokai Event FATE stuff, and generally being put on blast for the amount of it in the past, you think they'll stick to their whole trying to use FATEs less thing. And then we somehow end up with Diadem 1.0 with FATEs added and barely much else different. Gathering-only Diadem is a pretty fast way to get the mission completed, or at least one realistically doable with 1-2 people, but it's so poorly implemented that it's mind-boggling that this was greenlit.

It honestly seems like they design these things with a very specific expectation and the reality is the playerbase is nothing like their ideal world. Like, I'm sure Diadem as non-instanced content with a significantly smaller map size would probably have done better but as a specific thing people queue into, it's a hard sell to get everything working perfectly.

The true demon souls is explaining Gubal NM's final boss in a way that people get it and actually do what needs to be done but before the tank gets bored and pulls.

Wilsongt

My god some of the MSQ quests have me shouting at my TV

you want me to go get coruel skins for you to sell so you can go home?! take my bloody money so I dont have to do that

also this whole area of moody elfs and that stupid ass inquisitor, youd just tell him to fuck off.

Leave my people alone.

iammeiam

So new Diadem may actually be pretty handy for gatherers. In addition to a really easy path to blue scrips, more convenient red scrip grinding if you don't have all your books, convenient access to cordial mats, and access to the new stuff for the the new crafted, it also seems to be a really efficient way to gather a boatload of Darksteel ore.

It's still not... like... fun, but the gathering implementation does appear to improve the state of gathering in the game, so good for the team responsible for that piece.

Redx508

Okay, finished Cape Westwind all the STUPID ASS FILLER QUESTS after that (lol!). I have Castrum Meridianum unlocked. Ready to tackle the final two dungeons!

I'll probably be running them with Hosanna and Dresden in about 10-12 hours from now. We'll be looking to see if we can get another 5 people in on it. Whoever from the GAF FC who is on at around then is free to join us. I'll be watching all the cutscenes and going through the dungeons properly, so don't join in if you don't want to do that. :D

*goes make some stew*

*plays messenger boy*

*/psych*

*kills imperial scouting parties*

:)

if i'm not doing anything ill join.

Squishy3

Oh, I do agree. It has a lot of the design issues that plague the game, like nonsense content progression (people have come to accept the alliance raids as DoA content gear wise but that doesn't make it better designed by nature), and fragmented pieces of content that heavily leans on the Duty Finder. It's at least understandable that content progression was always going to be messed up at this point in the patch cycle.

I'd imagine at this point it's the case of "we can't actually devote too many resources to this because we're working on stormblood but already said it was coming so here it is"

Hopefully most of their effort's gone into making Eureka good.

studyguy

Eureka will be a poor man's attempt at Sky in XIV.
I can't actually spare enough time to devote to a real 1:1 remake of the timesink that was sky anyway so it'll probably have to do.

Fully expect what will basically be boring diadem with somewhat difficult series of trigger NM/Fates that lead to more challenging Fates/NMs. Anything more and I'll be genuinely surprised. Yall are setting that bar way too high for an MMO.

studyguy

I fought Purple Worm like 7 times yesterday, dude seems to be all that pops for me. 2 Brachi (no little foot fml)

Gimme dat little foot.

Squishy3

I fought Purple Worm like 7 times yesterday, dude seems to be all that pops for me. 2 Brachi (no little foot fml)

Gimme dat little foot.
the wiesent i'm talking about constantly sucks you in and heavies you then always does a paralyze aoe (sometimes switching up the paralyze with 11k aoe damage) and the suck in aoe covers the entire island he's on, so you just can't avoid the paralyze unless you're a dragoon/ninja/blm

he also charges at someone far away and then throws out a hysteria too

wamberz1

I wish they would expand the emergency mission time by like, even 2 minutes. It feels like every time we fail by running out of time at like 15% health. Usually because we have to explain the fight beforehand.

Is it worth doing the anima weapon quests still?

I am on the step where you select the 4 tokens for the merchant.
A finished Anima will likely let you skip the first step of the 4.0 relic and it'll be stronger than any weapon until level 65, dungeons so yeah, it has its worth. It's something to do till SB at the very least.

My motivation for completing the Anima is so low lol.

I'm most likely gonna pass on whatever the equivalent is in Stormblood.

I would like it if they brought back trials for the relic. I liked doing the ARR relic up until I had to grind the atmas.

leveling ninja and i have a question

how did ninjas live in a world without armor crush

It always bothered me that Armor Crush refreshes Huton instead of doing anything related at all with crushing armor.

Like swapping out Dancing Edge's name with Armor Crush would make more sense.

Although I'm not sure how crushing armor would make you do more slashing damage. If anything I would think that blunt would be more effective.

I'm just going to stop thinking now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I actually resent Armor Crush for existing. Because now I have to consider whether to DE/AE/AC every 5 seconds. Sometimes I forgot to AC because I'm trying to maintain DE and or using AE under buffs and then I loose Huton and have to feel bad about it.

Or sometimes I move to the flank to AC and then I get clipped by some swipe.

Cmagus

leveling ninja and i have a question

how did ninjas live in a world without armor crush

I always felt they should have introduced armor crush much earlier.

My god, Diadem is boring. I'm already bored after one time in.
They also give out brass spoils too generously, and anything you can earn you can have within 2-3 hours.I kind of wish they had rewards like the unidentifiable items and such inside then it would be worth grinding out. I mean after the 3 objectives it's hard to wanna stay inside hoping an emergency mission happens.

Luigi87

Playing through MSQ.
Been enjoying the story, but this storyline with the Inquisitor and the Ishagardians isn't doing it for me D=

iammeiam

They also give out brass spoils too generously, and anything you can earn you can have within 2-3 hours.I kind of wish they had rewards like the unidentifiable items and such inside then it would be worth grinding out. I mean after the 3 objectives it's hard to wanna stay inside hoping an emergency mission happens.

This + the Eureka reminder does make me wonder why the spoils vendors don't just sell all the relic things at this point. And, hell, have them sell some stupid super-expensive boost-your-275-relic-to-280 thing too for crazy numbers of spoils.

I don't think the frequency of rewards in nuDiadem is necessarily a bad thing, so much as it's super grindy while the big draw is totally RNG and not something you can measure progress towards via grind. It just feels really slapped together--even the crafted gear this go-round is one model for everybody.

Qvoth

anybody owns a coven weapon yet? would like to know if they have any special effects or are they 100% carbon copies of the pvp weapon glamour wise :/

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Too generously? Do you actually like the Diadem gameplay to do that any longer than this?
I don't think anybody is willing to refute that the whole shebang isn't boring as dirt.

Qvoth

it was a decent casual content, not sure why people are so pissed about it, bis doesn't really matter if you have already cleared all contents
hell i'd argue bis doesn't matter in a game with rng
i had fun the 1st time i had my emergency mission, i'd do this to gear my alt classes which is probably the main idea behind this new diadem
very easy way to earn materias too

Sorian

Banned
it was a decent casual content, not sure why people are so pissed about it, bis doesn't really matter if you have already cleared all contents
hell i'd argue bis doesn't matter in a game with rng
i had fun the 1st time i had my emergency mission, i'd do this to gear my alt classes which is probably the main idea behind this new diadem
very easy way to earn materias too

"A game with RNG"?

You mean standard loot drops like any MMO in the past decade. I agree with the point that her doesn't matter at this stage but to pretend bis never matters is wrong.

I wonder what they're going to do for new mechanics in SB.

More telegraphed attacks? And by that I mean no AOE markers, just watching the actual boss itself instead of just staring at the floor for the orange or a cast bar.

This is one of those games I think where fight design has to carry the combat because the combat itself on its own isn't particularly exciting (2.5 base GCD is fucking lame especially on tanks that have less involving rotations leading to running into walls due to sleeping because of how you have to wait so long before using your few actions).

I don't doubt that the new changes and abilities will be a breath of fresh air over the rotations that we've been doing for the past year or two but with Yoshi's comment about peopel focusing too much on rotations over mechanics I hope they actually got some interesting stuff in store. And not just for Extreme/Savage stuff but for dungeons/trials/whatever.

Telegraphed attacks, you say? In the old Tera, there were no AoE indicators at all. You either knew to watch for the red eye flash and what attack was coming next in the boss attack rotation or you ate the floor. This was especially important because Tera has animation lock, and you didn't want to be animating an attack when the boss's eyes flashed red.

I would say that Argon Queen in the early days of Tera was as hard as or harder than any raid content in FFXIV. She had a somewhat wonky hitbox too, which made a certain extremely large AoE attack all around her a bit annoying to dodge because most classes had dash skills that stopped when intersecting an enemy hitbox. You had to know the AoE was coming, see the eye flash, turn around 180 degrees, take about 4-5 steps away from the Queen, and then dash/jump/flip away and be out of the AoE range or you were instantly killed. Oh, the lag in Tera made this a fucking pain in the ass sometimes too even if you executed your dodge correctly.

There is still no game where playing a tank felt more rewarding than being a Lancer in Tera. Because the Lancer had an active block with a CD and a meter that ran out, you had to know when to block, you had to block for as short a period as necessary, you had to use your shield swipe on successful block to replenish your block meter, but the block basically negated damage on almost all attacks (one notable exception was that Queen AoE). Also you had to keep attacking when you weren't blocking damage because otherwise you would lose aggro almost instantly, and you were supposed to use your taunt on CD but the long animation meant that if you were animating it at a bad time you couldn't block a big boss attack and you would eat the floor. A good Lancer who knew what he was doing could solo just about any boss in the game, albeit extremely slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom