• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Defense of Robocop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

g0Y2Mb3.jpg

Robocop 1 is widely regarded as a legit classic, so there's no need to sell its praises.

The sequel isn't nearly as appreciated.

It had a different director and a different writer, but IMO, it still manages the same tone as the original, even if not as quite on the nose with being satirical.

It also has the same cast, unlikely a certain other film which we won't mention here. Let's call this the last film in the series.

Here's a few things I love about the sequel.

CAIN
Jesus... had days like these.

If you're gonna top Clarence Boddicker, you're gonna need one hell of a villain.

Here you go:
latest

Cain knows exactly what he's up against, and prepares accordingly.

He practically wins, if not for Robocop's subsequent repair.

Which brings me to the funniest point of the movie...

The Reprogramming

Isn't this a school day?

eULedTG.jpg

After Cain wrecks Robocop's proverbial shit, OCP decides to repair Robocop... and make him more, shall we say, palatable.

With a few hundred more prime directives.

robocop_2_4.jpg

robocop2l.jpg

This is basically a total disaster and turns Robocop into a walking infomercial.
The posted speed limit is 35.
Thank you for not smoking.

The glorious commercials.

MAGNAVOLT.
The final word in auto security.
latest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMtqRir7dco
(Staring Daniel Clamp himself.)

Last but not least...
Robocop... 2.

vlcsnap-2013-03-18-16h55m00s12.jpg

Wait, wrong one.

hqdefault.jpg

What the hell is that?

xbdYe1U.jpg

It's no ED-209, but it sure takes Robocop a lot longer to bring this piece of work down. (Hilarious stop motion animation aside, I think it's a pretty cool design.)

So yeah, some of many reasons why I enjoy Robocop 2. Hopefully someone else does as well.

Draft

Robocop 2 is like Predator 2 in that while inferior to the first movie in basically every way it still manages to be a lot of fun and not just a cheap, forgettable cash-in.

Syder

I enjoyed RoboCop 2 as much as the first film as a kid but I recognise it's shortcomings now. It's not really close to the original movie.

ElRenoRaven

Hey Hey Hey. RoboCop 2 was awesome. Yea it wasn't as good as the first but it was damn good. Now the 3rd even though it's hot trash I still love it too. But yea I've never heard anyone hate on RoboCop 2.

It was one of my favorite action films as a kid.
Now? It's not that great and kinda boring at times and it's obviously inferior compared to the first one but it's still a relatively fun movie with some ballsy ideas and creative sequences. The opening is hilarious and I love the asshole kid.

While nothing will beat the original, I love 2 almost as much and think it's a lot smarter than many give it credit.

I always felt that while the first was solely about corporate greed and the dangers it presents when a society is basically run by one, the second was more about the upcoming pg-ification of action movies. The new directives were actually designed by committee and completely nullified what made robocop work in his role which mirrors what we have seen from many sequels that ditched what made them work to chase that family friendly image.

*edit Hell look at robocop 3, it feels like 2 was predicting its own follow up.

karasu

It was trash! I watched it yesterday when absolutely craving for sci-fi and I couldn't even finish it.

ElRenoRaven

It's a fun movie, just not as memorable as the original.

I love this scene though:
cyIcy5p.gif

I never had the guts to watch Robocop 3

As a fan I'll even admit 3 was trash. But you can still find some fun in it. They just made it a point to shit it out and make it kid friendly so it loses it's edge. It's so goofy though you can't help but like it a bit. I mean hell you have RoboCop taking on Robot Ninjas and using a Jetpack. Then you had the scene where the kid reprogrammed the ED 209 to be loyal as a puppy. So there is some fun to be had. But you have to go into it expecting a bad movie. It would be good for a MST3K style watch.

Vic_Viper

If you liked Robocop 2 but thought it was lacking something, checkout Frank Miller's script for the original Robocop 2! There's a comic adaptation for it as well which is pretty neat.

jett

D-Member
It was trash! I watched it yesterday when absolutely craving for sci-fi and I couldn't even finish it.

Finally someone making sense in this thread.

Last time I watched it was I think a few years ago, first time since childhood. Among other things, I was surprised to see how bloodless it was compared to the first one. Honestly though it's just a real fucking bore. I'm surprised to see so much love for it here.

They make no attempt to redeem or defend him either, he's evil from start to finish.
That's not really true, the scene where cain forces him to watch mcmurphy's death is to show how the kid didn't have a choice in how he was brought up and due to his surroundings what chance did he have.

They avoid the easy turn around that some movies would do by killing him before he had the chance.

cj_iwakura

That's not really true, the scene where cain forces him to watch mcmurphy's death is to show how the kid didn't have a choice in how he was brought up and due to his surroundings what chance did he have.

They avoid the easy turn around that some movies would do by killing him before he had the chance.

True, but he still does some completely horrible things even when left to his own devices and he thinks Cain's dead.

Paracelsus

2 was okay, the kid was over the top but still within reason (he was a punk, but if you consider he was molded by a legitimately insane maniac you could believe he was able to think so maliciously), except for the woman following his orders just to get her fix of nuke, why wouldn't she kick the shit out of him and get control.

3 on the other hand was abominable, one of the times I got second hand embarrassment from an action movie, the girl remote controlling all of those cyborgs with a lame ass laptop was...I don't know, T2 got flak for John Connor hacking an ATM, R3 deserves all the literal feces in the world.

cj_iwakura

I saw Robocop 3 the day it came out in theaters.

Pretty sure I walked out ten minutes later. I was embarrassed at myself for paying to watch it.

It's enjoyable, if not a wee bit too much over the top with its violence. It's sorta like Gremlins 2 only not as clever in that it's mocking the very idea of a sequel if you really think about it. Robocop Vs. Robocaine is actually an awesome action set-piece too.

They make no attempt to redeem or defend him either, he's evil from start to finish.

They try to make you feel sorry for his demise though. It's one of the things I don't really like about the film.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Prefer it to part 1. It's likely a nostalgia thing as it left a far heavier impact on me as kid, with Cain being absolutely terrifying and the scene with the torture legit fucking with my nine year old mind. Objectively part 1 is likely far superior, but part 2 will always be my favorite.

Prefer it to part 1. It's likely a nostalgia thing as it left a far heavier impact on me as kid, with Cain being absolutely terrifying and the scene with the torture legit fucking with my nine year old mind. Objectively part 1 is likely far superior, but part 2 will always be my favorite.

Haha I was 9 too

But the torture/massacre in Robo 1 was also supremely scarring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom