• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Defense of Robocop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the work Verhoeven, Neumeier, Miner, and Weller put into the touching humanity of the character was thrown in the trash for Robocop 2. It's solely for that reason that I can't love the film. But as a funny, ultraviolent blockbuster, I can find some enjoyment in it. Great effects, well directed action, spot on jokes, and glorious gore helped out alot. It's not enough to make me forget the convoluted plot, lame villains, and underutilized Peter Weller and Nancy Allen, but it's decent enough.

Sapiens

It's watchable but not the perfect movie the original was.

I appreciate it more for its technical aspects. I even like the score. But the writing and direction is shit.

All the work Verhoeven, Neumeier, Miner, and Weller put into the touching humanity of the character was thrown in the trash for Robocop 2. It's solely for that reason that I can't love the film. But as a funny, ultraviolent blockbuster, I can find some enjoyment in it. Great effects, well directed action, spot on jokes, and glorious gore helped out alot. It's not enough to make me forget the convoluted plot, lame villains, and underutilized Peter Weller and Nancy Allen, but it's decent enough.

Agreed

Verhoeven was way ahead of his time and his social commentary was amazing

I thought Cain was fucking awesome when I was kid. The big guy scared me senseless.

cain21.jpg

d498643ed28bc3aea979262b3597d17c.jpg

Look at him. Robo who? Terminator what?

Nope. Cannot agree, and I've touched on this before.

Robocop is about Murphy reclaiming his humanity.

Robocop 2 is him realizing that despite reclaiming said humanity - he can never go back to his old life. He becomes bitter AND more robotic because he thinks he has nothing left. He starts to act like a machine - subsequently getting his ass handed to him by Kane. It isn't undermining the original film, it continues it by pointing out (unlike the terrible reboot) that Murphy cannot get back what he lost.

After getting rebuilt and nearly driven insane by OCP treating him like a machine, he pulls a desperate move to clear his head - literally. His talk with the psychiatrist reflects this, he wants to move while he's stuck in the chair, he wants to go do things - but he has no reason or motivation to do so. When OCP monkeys with his brain and turns him into a literal robot, he struggles against it. He realizes his humanity is part of his strength and rallies the other cops to take down Kane. He uses his ability to think like a human to take down Kane. The motorcycle vs van scene demonstrates this. He knows Kane is an ego maniac and won't back down. Kane ironically doesn't use his head - he could just avoid Robocop and continue running. But no, Murphy taunts him, goading him into a game of Chicken, and Murphy knows he can win that game. His machine half is all logic and procedure - his human half is about intuition and cunning.

A machine would never have thought to try to drop Kane from a 10 story building, or lure Kane into a trap with the Nuke. Hell, he uses the power of continuity to remember "Hey, I've got this cannon from before I used on ED-209, probably good if I bring that along."

There's a reason the last line of the movie is "Patience Lewis. We're only human."

Foggy

Watched this the other day and it's quite terrible while still having its moments and being largely enjoyable. I'd probably feel better about it being a tonally weird oddity if we had one sequel before this that carried the spirit better.

Robocop is a 10/10 action flick.
Robocop 2 is an 8/10 action flick.
Robocop 3 is a 3/10 action flick and a 5/10 comedy.
Robocop (reboot) is a 2/10 action flick and a 10/10 endurance test.

I mean, compared to three the TV shit and reboot look at least passable.

Robocop 3 is my mother's favorite, my mother has really shit taste in movies that at some point turned around into mainly watching movies that made to appeal to eight year olds.

This was a thing?

Yeah, part of the weird 80s/maybe early 90s tradition of turning movies made for adults into cartoons for kids.

Robocop 2 is him realizing that despite reclaiming said humanity - he can never go back to his old life. He becomes bitter AND more robotic because he thinks he has nothing left. He starts to act like a machine - subsequently getting his ass handed to him by Kane. It isn't undermining the original film, it continues it by pointing out (unlike the terrible reboot) that Murphy cannot get back what he lost.

After getting rebuilt and nearly driven insane by OCP treating him like a machine, he pulls a desperate move to clear his head - literally. His talk with the psychiatrist reflects this, he wants to move while he's stuck in the chair, he wants to go do things - but he has no reason or motivation to do so. When OCP monkeys with his brain and turns him into a literal robot, he struggles against it. He realizes his humanity is part of his strength and rallies the other cops to take down Kane. He uses his ability to think like a human to take down Kane. The motorcycle vs van scene demonstrates this. He knows Kane is an ego maniac and won't back down. Kane ironically doesn't use his head - he could just avoid Robocop and continue running. But no, Murphy taunts him, goading him into a game of Chicken, and Murphy knows he can win that game. His machine half is all logic and procedure - his human half is about intuition and cunning.

A machine would never have thought to try to drop Kane from a 10 story building, or lure Kane into a trap with the Nuke. Hell, he uses the power of continuity to remember "Hey, I've got this cannon from before I used on ED-209, probably good if I bring that along."

There's a reason the last line of the movie is "Patience Lewis. We're only human."

af8a31f36c55bb27cd4a3621e82b2c0d_wee-bey-wee-bey-meme_400-400.jpeg

cj_iwakura

One thing both films have in common, a perfect last line.

Ichabod

Banned

*slow clap*

You kids giving this fucking trash 8/10s

It's manhandled studio garbage thrown at a theater screen and nobody involved had the common courtesy to even tie the top of the bag before launching it.

At this point the only pleasure to be gleaned from it comes from knowing someone gave Frank Miller and his script the high hard one.

It's manhandled studio garbage thrown at a theater screen and nobody involved had the common courtesy to even tie the top of the bag before launching it.

At this point the only pleasure to be gleaned from it comes from knowing someone gave Frank Miller and his script the high hard one.

7/10. Final offer.

lazygecko

It's no ED-209, but it sure takes Robocop a lot longer to bring this piece of work down. (Hilarious stop motion animation aside, I think it's a pretty cool design.)

Best part is, the reason they made the design so over the top was to make it harder for bootleg toy makers to rip it off.

This is a good post. I've already said the same thing as the majority in regards to a Murphy's humanity, that being that two ignored the progress made by the first film. It wasn't until my RoboCop 2 rewatch last month that I realized exactly what you are saying, the film wasn't ignoring it, Murphy was.

draetenth

I liked this film for it's cheesiness. I think I'm one of the few who actually likes 3 though (1 > 3 > 2). Though, I do tend to enjoy "bad" films more than others (Resident Evil series, Hobbit, Robocop 3).

I still need to see the reboot though...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hey, look at this.

robocop-2-1990-12.jpg

That brain and the 5' tall tank that it was floating in just got auctioned off by Phil Tippett a few months ago. It went for $10,000.

I love Robocop 2. I still have a scar on my left ring finger that happened when i was 9 and slipped sharpening a knife for cub scouts while watching Robocop 2!

Just watched it for the first time in a long time the other day. Something's I didn't care for.
I think if they wanted OCP to act like the way it did in this one someone should have replaced the old man. He was acting a bit like Dick Jones. Should have been a little corporate takeover or something.
The reprogram is funny but resolved way to quickly.
Nuke is a great drug and Cain is fantastic. As Pinter out the Robocop 2 prototypes are the best.
I don't like when sequels spend the whole movie getting the character back to the end of where they were at the first movie. I had the same issue with Ghostbusters 2. I'd rather see them acting at peak proficiency for a whole because we already saw the beginning.
There's a couple good commercials and he kids of being Detroit being the worst was fun.
The Murphy still stalking his wife stuff should have been cut. I'd buy that for a dollar should have still been a thing.

Jazzem

I really hate 2 I'm afraid, the story/action/comedy do nothing for me and I can't get past it being such a piss poor sequel :/

The stop motion at the end is a remarkable feat though aye

G-Fex

This.

This is a great post. Thank you.

We can't have that

I like Robocop 2. There were some memorable scenes in the film that I enjoyed very much, even more memorable than the first Robocop. I thought Robocop 2 was a great little film in its own unique way. I still can watch it again. Where's the popcorn? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom