• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Defense of Robocop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I dont' wanna see anyone in this thread speaking well of RoboCop 2 ever complaining about creative bankruptcy, executive meddling, studio cash-ins, cash-grabs, and cynical, pandering fanservice in any form, anywhere else, ever again.

That shit is now forfeit.

You loved Rogue One, FFS.
That took movie-by-committee to levels I didn't think were possible.
At least this is weird and sleazy and is old enough to evoke nostalgia.
What's your excuse?

NastyBook

In Defense of Robocop 2
Robocop 2 needs no defe-
Nope. Cannot agree, and I've touched on this before.

Robocop is about Murphy reclaiming his humanity.

Robocop 2 is him realizing that despite reclaiming said humanity - he can never go back to his old life. He becomes bitter AND more robotic because he thinks he has nothing left. He starts to act like a machine - subsequently getting his ass handed to him by Kane. It isn't undermining the original film, it continues it by pointing out (unlike the terrible reboot) that Murphy cannot get back what he lost.

After getting rebuilt and nearly driven insane by OCP treating him like a machine, he pulls a desperate move to clear his head - literally. His talk with the psychiatrist reflects this, he wants to move while he's stuck in the chair, he wants to go do things - but he has no reason or motivation to do so. When OCP monkeys with his brain and turns him into a literal robot, he struggles against it. He realizes his humanity is part of his strength and rallies the other cops to take down Kane. He uses his ability to think like a human to take down Kane. The motorcycle vs van scene demonstrates this. He knows Kane is an ego maniac and won't back down. Kane ironically doesn't use his head - he could just avoid Robocop and continue running. But no, Murphy taunts him, goading him into a game of Chicken, and Murphy knows he can win that game. His machine half is all logic and procedure - his human half is about intuition and cunning.

A machine would never have thought to try to drop Kane from a 10 story building, or lure Kane into a trap with the Nuke. Hell, he uses the power of continuity to remember "Hey, I've got this cannon from before I used on ED-209, probably good if I bring that along."

There's a reason the last line of the movie is "Patience Lewis. We're only human."
Forget I said anything. Excellent post.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I dont' wanna see anyone in this thread speaking well of RoboCop 2 ever complaining about creative bankruptcy, executive meddling, studio cash-ins, cash-grabs, and cynical, pandering fanservice in any form, anywhere else, ever again.

That shit is now forfeit.

You loved Rogue One, FFS.
At least this is weird and sleazy and is old enough to evoke nostalgia.
What's your excuse?
If only...if only I could find a gif of that one "ARGUMENT! ARGUMENT! ARGUMENT!" scene from Grounded For Life...

You loved Rogue One, FFS

I didn't love Rogue One. I liked it a fair bit. I don't love it.

Are you... are you trying to argue that Robocop 2 is a more successful film in literally any aspect of filmmaking than Rogue One?

Because that argument would be much more interesting to read (and justify) than my pointing out why I believe the obvious to be blatantly fuckin' obvious.

Besides which, the point of my post wasn't to say people can't enjoy their poorly-concieved and even more-poorly executed "cash-grab" sequel with almost no redeeming qualities, because of course they can.

I just don't wanna see em trying to front like they're above that bullshit when they go wandering into some other thread complaining about those very elements as if they weren't just going to bat for the sub-par results of that clumsy horseshit in here.

Speaking of clumsy horseshit

ok

There is no Robocop 3.

They stopped after 2.

Yep, just like the Terminator franchise. They knew enough to leave it alone...

I'm still holding out hope for a Terminator vs Robocop vs Dredd vs Aliens vs Predator ultimate crossover. Wouldn't even be hard to make it work.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Are you... are you trying to argue that Robocop 2 is a more successful film in literally any aspect of filmmaking than Rogue One?

Well, I remembered at least a single fucking character's name when Robocop 2 was over.

Granted his name was Robocop 2 so that might not be entirely fair.

The trailer for this was epic, with the whole gun store robbery being played out for the audience instead of actual trailer. Shit was fire when I was a kid.

Movie is cheese, still enjoyable film, obviously not as well rounded as the original.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Cool wall of text, Bobby.
Rogue One succeeds on technical levels but it had better with that budget.
Robocop 2 is better written and acted, and with Frank Miller behind it that's just shameful.
I don't really see how it's debatable, either, with Robocop 2 sporting an average plot and serviceable characterization and Rogue One being "This happens, then this happens." and starring action figure designs with less depth than G.I.Joe file cards.

TAJ

How was I supposed to respond to that? It was all over the place.

TAJ

nevermind

it's all good

I shoulda known better

my apologies.

How would you explain that scene with Saw other than market research?
"Our studies say that people like scenes with self-sacrifice." "Well then, get some in there, Johnson.".

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy it as a bit of violent Robocop nonsense but that's about it. I've always liked it though and whilst being disappointed with it in comparison to 1 it was only Robocop 3 where I felt really insulted by what they did in that piece of shit. That and the godawful tv series.
It's also the only other Robocop movie with Peter Weller playing Murphy and he really elevates it higher overall, he's still fantastic. I really like him and Lewis in this film.

Robocop 2 also has one of my favourite lines from any of the films (or at least up there with my favourites from Robocop 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniYN3sXmGg

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ah did Nancy Allen have a really rough time whilst making Robocop 2 ? I'll be honest and say that whilst with the first film I've devoured every bit of making of/commentary/interviews etc, I never really followed much with Robocop 2 outside of the actual film itself. I know that the full script was released as as graphic novel wasn't it ? (and even then I heard that's ropey as fuck). That's about it.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Rc2 is one of the goats and I wish they still made movies like that.

TAJ

I'm not going to watch or post about any new Star Wars stuff.
My gift to you, Bobby.

Ah did Nancy Allen have a really rough time whilst making Robocop 2 ?

It wasn't fun for her, definitely. And I think she didn't get along with Kersh well. She definitely didn't like Miller's script, and as everyone else knows, whatever it is they tried to do with Miller's script didn't work at all, either.

Basically, she got pitched a sequel that never even came close to happening, and it was just a lot of frustration, including the final product.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
fpnfa4t.gif

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't fun for her, definitely. And I think she didn't get along with Kersh well. She definitely didn't like Miller's script, and as everyone else knows, whatever it is they tried to do with Miller's script didn't work at all, either.

Basically, she got pitched a sequel that never even came close to happening, and it was just a lot of frustration, including the final product.

I did a quick look on Google and found this:

'Allen came on for Robocop 2 because it was going to be directed by Tim Hunter, who also helmed River's Edge. "I loved the script," which was written by Frank Miller (Sin City), and Walon Green (The Wild Bunch). Hunter left the project and was then replaced by The Empire Strikes Back helmer Irvin Kirshner, who Allen called "the most miserable human being that ever walked planet earth. I found out later that he didn't want me to return for the role. He then ruined the script, taking the heart and soul out of it. Robocop 2 was missing everything that made the first film wonderful."

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/61907-robocop-yesterday-and-tomorrow (i apologise for this ropey as fuck looking website as it doesn't prove she actually said the above)

I did a quick look on Google and found this:
(i apologise for this ropey as fuck looking website as it doesn't prove she actually said the above)

The site is ropey, yeah, but that account is accurate. From what I understand, the script she saw wasn't Miller's (or primarily Miller's, rather), and it didn't get any better from there, and she definitely did not like working on the film, and Kershner had a lot to do with that.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The site is ropey, yeah, but that account is accurate. From what I understand, the script she saw wasn't Miller's (or primarily Miller's, rather), and it didn't get any better from there, and she definitely did not like working on the film, and Kershner had a lot to do with that.

Man that sucks :( Still I admire her for doing Robocop 3 purely just to kill Lewis off, that's pretty damn cool (and quite frankly the only interesting fucking thing about Robocop 3)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
RoboCop is amazing.

RoboCop 2 is good.

RoboCop 3 is.. watchable.

Oh fuck, I completely forgot the reboot existed. And it reminded me that Total Recall existed too. Thanks a lot, Bobby.

Robocop 2 is very nostalgic movie for me, being a kid of the 90s, and watching the movie as a 8 year old in 1992.

Also, the "thank you for not smoking" bit makes me laugh every time. A favorite scene of my mine for any movie.

And I think most of the in-movie parody commercials are great. Starts the movie on the right note, IMHO.

Plus, it's better than Robocop 3, which has, um, something going for it I'm sure.

I mean, yeah, it is obviously mediocre as film, and well below the original classic (which is a great movie/film both from the child and adult perspectives), but I cannot completely hate on Robocop 2, even though I recognize all of its shortcoming as a adult.

G-Fex

LastGamer84's explanation really does seem to work with me not understanding why he lost to Cain and his men/women so easily as Murphy does manage to survive ED 209 , swat, and then Boddicker and gang.

Man I wish they'd do a continuation movie ala Mad Max but it seems that stupid ass reboot killed the whole franchise forever.

Chuckie

The face of evil

fHQjmi5.jpg

The girl was hot though.

I enjoyed the movie as a young guy. It was violent af. I still remember that opening seen where a hooker stomps out a guys eye with her stiletto heel.
I remember hating that little nazi kid and Robo getting cut the fuck up.

Very enjoyable, but not really a good movie tbh :p

I loved the design of the Cain robot, I used to draw it a lot on paper when I was younger. The movie is not a classic as the first one but it's still enjoyable to watch and the action is better.

Khoryos

I've always liked the fact that Iron Man 2 has a scene that's clearly a massive homage to Robocop 2, when you see the failed Iron Man prototypes.

G-Fex

I've always liked the fact that Iron Man 2 has a scene that's clearly a massive homage to Robocop 2, when you see the failed Iron Man prototypes.

and in Iron Man 1.

When Iron man is on Iron Monger's back tearing his armor apart is like Robocop on Cain's back.

The best thing about Robocop 2 is the underlying theme about inferior sequels that the film then falls right in line with.

In the movie, ignorant and greedy corporate suits struggle to come up with a successful follow-up to Robocop because they fail to understand that what makes the first Robocop so good is his humanity. They rush an inferior sequel into production rather than waiting until a proper sequel could be done.

In the real world, ignorant and greedy corporate suits struggled to come up with a successful follow-up to Robocop because they failed to understand that what made the first Robocop so good was his humanity. They rush an inferior sequel into production rather than waiting until a proper sequel could be done.

There's a tragic unintentional genius in that--like a firefighter talking with kids about the dangers of playing with fire who accidentally burns down their school.

But the movie being a soulless copy of the original with stupid characters and a million weak plot threads just doesn't work for me.

A decent attempt, but ultimately too flawed to emerge from the massive shadow of the original.

I think The New York Times put it best when they said that the different between Robocop and Robocop 2 is the difference between an idea and an afterthought.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Watching it now on IFC. I...I can't tell if this awesome movie is serious about itself or a comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom