• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heinz Chicago Dog Sauce

cr0w

Old Member
Nope.

Nope, nope, nope. Fists would probably fly if someone tried to sneak this into a cookout with my family up there. At the very least, the bottle would be thrown out of the yard. Mustard is all that's allowed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Chicago obsession with hating ketchup on Hot Dogs is some Matrix level of shared delusion.

They literally get angry about it. Why? Because their peers said so.

Since when has a Chicago dog had ketchup?

That is the entire point of the story. Chicagoans hate ketchup on hot dogs until someone tricked them into believing it was a Chicago special kind of sauce.

It's because of their pizza inferiority complex.

cr0w

Old Member
Since when has a Chicago dog had ketchup?

Since never. I'm surprised people even ate a dog with anything but mustard on it. It's a big deal up there.

Hell, my grandfather once chased my uncle around the kitchen with a knife after an argument about RC Cola escalated. They take their traditions seriously.

maruchan

when did chicago become a hot dog city.. Los Angeles eats more hotdogs than any city in the united states.

give me a hermosillo bacon dog any day of the of the week..

Goofalo

Punishment for ketchup on a hot dog is Chicago:

The Chicago Handshake

C6kiJS-XUAA_byK.jpg

Paskil

Definitely have to buy a bottle for the novelty. No, it doesn't belong on a Chicago Dog (ketchup does have its place on certain styles of dogs).

wwm0nkey

Chicago obsession with hating ketchup on Hot Dogs is some Matrix level of shared delusion.

That is the entire point of the story. Chicagoans hate ketchup on hot dogs until someone tricked them into believing it was a Chicago special kind of sauce.

I have always wondered this.

Also Chicago pizza? Wayyy too much for me imo

Stinkles

The Chicago Handshake

C6kiJS-XUAA_byK.jpg

Huh.

"Most first-time drinkers of Jeppson Malort reject our liquor. Its strong, sharp taste is not for everyone. Our liquor is rugged and unrelenting (even brutal) to the palate. During almost 60 years of American distribution, we found only 1 out of 49 men will drink Jeppson Malort. During the lifetime of our founder, Carl Jeppson was apt to say, 'My Malort is produced for that unique group of drinkers who disdain light flavor or neutral spirits.' It is not possible to forget our two-fisted liquor. The taste just lingers and lasts – seemingly forever. The first shot is hard to swallow! Perservere [sic]. Make it past two 'shock-glasses' and with the third you could be ours... forever”

ReAxion

ketchup argument aside, don't lie to people about what you're gonna feed them.

which makes me think this was faked.

Stinkles

ketchup argument aside, don't lie to people about what you're gonna feed them.

which makes me think this was faked.

They could easily have warned them about ingredients.

Are you allergic to: Corn syrup, tomatoes, etc.

I think it's fine.

Preacher

How do you hate ketchup on hotdogs? Are some people not even aware of how bizarre that sounds. Ketchup is like the first condiment most people think of when they hear hot dog.

If this behavior keeps up, the very fabric of society will collapse upon itself

aeolustl

The point of not adding ketchup is that it is too sweet for hot dog, not because it is ketchup. Imho, it is too sweet for anything for adults :/

Stinkles

The offense of putting ketchup on a hotdog is nothing compared to putting a pickle on a hotdog.

Seattle's hot dog specialty is cream cheese. No idea why beyond the fact that we do have a lot of smoked salmon, so maybe we have a lot of cream cheese. Anyway, it's tasty. Clean, bright, interesting, the jalapeños retain their seeds, so the spice and freshness of the cream cheese balance each other out. And most people like to eat it before the cream cheese melts.

aHyxALm.jpg

Mustard too, but usually no ketchup.

Life's too short to avoid food because a fat maroon on Michigan Avenue told you to.

Goofalo

Ketchup would add too much sweetness to the traditional Chicago Dog, which has the sweet tanginess of the relish.

I wonder how many people in Chicago have ever tried ketchup on a hot dog? Knowing Chicago I bet very few people have, but most of them will tell you how wrong ketchup is.
I don't get why they're so bothered by what other people put on their food anyway.

That said, Chicago style hot dogs are probably the best hot dogs.

cakely

The Chicago Handshake

C6kiJS-XUAA_byK.jpg

As a Chicago resident, and an mixologist, I'm dissapointed to tell you that:

1. Malort is no longer bottled in Chicago. It's made in Florida. The front of the label on the bottle lies.
2. Malort no longer contains greater wormwood.

It is still one of the most disgusting things you can put in your mouth. It's a joke shot.

Hot dog thread? Detroit to the rescue:

There are room for both Chicago Dogs and Coney Islands in my heart. And in my stomach.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I would be tempted to try a Chicago style hot dog but considering how badly they fucked up pizza I'm a little apprehensive.

As a Chicagoan, I agree about the Ketchup thing. Hot dogs are better with Ketchup - fact.

Frankly, Frankie, I am offended by your pizza comment. Chicago pizza is definitively better than NY pizza.

And I'm assuming you're referring to NY pizza as the supposed superior, because those artesian crackers they serve on the west coast barely qualify as pizza!

butzopower

proud of his butz
I honestly think it's not ketchup on the hotdog as much as ketchup on the bun. Like, I'll enjoy some Currywurst with curry ketchup, but would some of y'all put ketchup on like some proper sausage on a roll with like peppers and onions?

Top Bottom