• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heinz Chicago Dog Sauce

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From an episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown when he met with Obama in Vietnam:

BOURDAIN: Now, as a Chicagoan, trickier question fraught with peril - is ketchup on a hot dog ever acceptable?
OBAMA: (immediately replies) No.
BOURDAIN: *laughs*
OBAMA: No, I mean that. Let me put it this way, it's not acceptable past the age of 8.
BOURDAIN: My daughter's 8 and she put ketchup on eggs the other day, I didn't know what good parenting called for at this point.
OBAMA: An intervention.
BOURDAIN: I think so too.
OBAMA: I think you just got to say "You know what, that's not acceptable. I'm sorry."

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I never got how people could be highfalutin about what condiment you put on your cheap, processed meat. And I'm from Chicago
I'm with you. Hot dogs are just about the most bottom-tier food you can possibly eat (I'm not saying they're not good). Put whatever the fuck you want on it. You're not damaging the sanctity of the almighty hot dog.

Fuck Heinz and everything they stand for.

My wife went to an elite hot dog place in Chicago and she got a vegan dog with ketchup and I felt it was grounds for divorce. Fortunately for the both of us she has other great qualities that made me reconsider.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Food elitism can fuck off. There is no right way to eat food.

Your kid asks you for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs mixed with ice cream and mayonnaise.

1) You say that's horrible and you don't let him/her
2) There is no right way to eat food! Have at it!

cakely

I never got how people could be highfalutin about what condiment you put on your cheap, processed meat. And I'm from Chicago

Let me let you in on it ... it's a joke. No one in Chicago is really upset if you eat a hot dog with ketchup. It's just something to talk about when you eat.

Also, no one really likes Malort.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Honestly, I would only use one ingredient on a hotdog, and the reason why is that a hot dog is too small for all of those condiments. Basically may as well take out the hotdog (since you won't taste it) and just use a regular bun and have a veggie sandwich.

aeolustl

You're one with weak tastebuds, if some thing as basic as ketchup is considered sweet. Not my fault your receptors are disfunctional.
Ughhh
I feel like you are the kind of people telling me Sriracha sauce (Huy Fong's one) is not sweet at all. Sriracha Is slightly sweet.

Off topic: I will group people who put ketchup on everything with those who like to add Sriracha sauce on everything.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Your kid asks you for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs mixed with ice cream and mayonnaise.

3) I'm your parent, I pay for your food, you do as I say.

Ponn

Banned
I put mayo on my hot dogs.

Actually in the south here they put cole slaw on dogs. My heart will always be back in Flint, Mi though with a good old Coney dog.

MC Safety

That is the entire point of the story. Chicagoans hate ketchup on hot dogs until someone tricked them into believing it was a Chicago special kind of sauce.

It's because of their pizza inferiority complex.

Listen to the gospel according to Stinkles.

Amen, brother.

gamz

Let me let you in on it ... it's a joke. No one in Chicago is really upset if you eat a hot dog with ketchup. It's just something to talk about when you eat.

Also, no one really likes Malort.

It's not a joke at all. Ketchup on a hotdog is for kids. Ruins the taste of the ensemble. I bet you like pineapple on pizza you pig!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I put mayo on my hot dogs.

Actually in the south here they put cole slaw on dogs. My heart will always be back in Flint, Mi though with a good old Coney dog.

Mayo is ok, but cole slaw in a hot-dog is amazing when it's the sweet, slightly vinegary kind. Not the creamy kind.

My kids eat cereal with apple juice instead of milk.

I share the foods I like and normal food, but if my kid wants some disgusting combo to me, I don't act like a two year old/food elitist and scream at them that their taste buds are WRONG.

Not hard to get.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
1200px-Chicago-style_hot_dog_2.jpg

GIT REKT

Someone get a garbage can

Ponn

Banned
Mayo is ok, but cole slaw in a hot-dog is amazing when it's the sweet, slightly vinegary kind. Not the creamy kind.

Yea its usually the sweet cole slaw but a little creamy. I had to get cole slaw for some hot dog cookouts a couple times and I always get the Publix sweet cole slaw because that seems to be peoples favorite to put on their hot dogs. People do whats best for you, too many regional things to keep up with. If its a cookout i'm probably having a beer brat anyways.

You should eat better pizza if you're eating cardboard.

It's a pretty easy fix, just stop ordering from Papa Johns.

I wonder how many people in Chicago have ever tried ketchup on a hot dog? Knowing Chicago I bet very few people have, but most of them will tell you how wrong ketchup is.
I don't get why they're so bothered by what other people put on their food anyway.

That said, Chicago style hot dogs are probably the best hot dogs.

I've lived in Chicago for a long time and as a kid, grew up eating hot dogs with only ketchup and loved them. Portillo's has the best Chicago style hot dogs and they are great as well.

I love both equally!

for the true connoisseur (we had a thread on this a little bit ago)

hot_dog_v5.jpg

Ah yes the Kansas City Hot Dog.

Something were known for I guess yet there isn't really any place in town that serves that style of hot dog.

Chili dogs are closer to being our Hot Dog than that mess.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Does mustard even add much when you put chili on a hot dog? The chili kind of overrides every other taste but the hot dog itself.

It adds a little something. Usually the mustard is on top of the chili and sometimes there's mustard IN the chili so you definitely get that delicious taste. Actually made myself chili dogs earlier because of the thread lol.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Didn't know chopped red onions and green chili was a denver thing. That's the best hot dog topping. Surely that's at least an optional topping in other cities, right?

And most of those sound pretty gross. Either too overloaded with greasy/cheesy stuff, or just too much other junk in general. And you can't even call it a hot dog if you don't have a bun. Just give me a denver or new york hot dog.

Like, what are you doing Baltimore? Are making a hotdog or a modified bologna sandwich?

Goofalo

Didn't know chopped red onions and green chili was a denver thing. That's the best hot dog topping. Surely that's at least an optional topping in other cities, right?

And most of those sound pretty gross. Either too overloaded with greasy/cheesy stuff, or just too much other junk in general. And you can't even call it a hot dog if you don't have a bun. Just give me a denver or new york hot dog.

I was raised in Denver and I honestly didn't even know about that until that image. The best hotdog stand in Denver growing up was Mustard's Last Stand, and their claim to fame was the Chicago Dog, that and all the Cubs games on KWGN until we got the Rockies, they went hand in hand.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God that's disgusting. I dislike a lot of veggies and putting all that shit on a hot dog is just wrong.

You don't like vegetables? Are you a small child perhaps?

Feltrol

Banned
I've always had my hotdogs with mayonnaise and ketchup. Didn't know ketchup on a hotdog was considered, well, not normal.

From an episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown when he met with Obama in Vietnam:

BOURDAIN: Now, as a Chicagoan, trickier question fraught with peril - is ketchup on a hot dog ever acceptable?
OBAMA: (immediately replies) No.
BOURDAIN: *laughs*
OBAMA: No, I mean that. Let me put it this way, it's not acceptable past the age of 8.
BOURDAIN: My daughter's 8 and she put ketchup on eggs the other day, I didn't know what good parenting called for at this point.
OBAMA: An intervention.
BOURDAIN: I think so too.
OBAMA: I think you just got to say "You know what, that's not acceptable. I'm sorry."

Best president

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Since never. I'm surprised people even ate a dog with anything but mustard on it. It's a big deal up there.

Hell, my grandfather once chased my uncle around the kitchen with a knife after an argument about RC Cola escalated. They take their traditions seriously.

LOLOLOL :D

hot_dog_v5.jpg

Tijuana, Korea, and Brazil all sound delicious. I love the Argentinian choripan.

But if we're counting other sausage types it's a crime not to include the DC half-smoke. It's similar to the Coney, but so much better.

Thoraxes

It's the celery salt that really pushes Chicago dogs above all the rest.
Punishment for ketchup on a hot dog is Chicago:

The Chicago Handshake

C6kiJS-XUAA_byK.jpg

That above tastes like eating the anus of roadkill doused in gasoline then lit on fire then pissed on at the end to put it out.

But it's a trial everyone has to go through. I did it to make my friend laugh when his dad passed.

Branduil

It never ceases to amuse me how mad people get about what condiment people put on a fucking hot dog. Like it's some kind of haute cuisine and not a lowest-common-denominator meat tube (hence the need for generous condiments in the first place).

Mike M

Nick N
Isn't spaghetti with chili instead of traditional red sauce called "Chicago-style?"

Between that, their conception of pizza, and this anti-ketchup zealotry, Chicago cuisine sounds contrarian for the sake of spiting NYC and not much else.

Thoraxes

Isn't spaghetti with chili instead of traditional red sauce called "Chicago-style?"

Between that, their conception of pizza, and this anti-ketchup zealotry, Chicago cuisine sounds contrarian for the sake of spiting NYC and not much else.

Not Chicago.

On the contrary a good mustard can amplify the meat and spices in a good sausage and further mustard emulsified fats in the hot dog and contributes to texture and mouthfeel.

So, like, French's Mustard?

Maybe it's Cincinnati? Idunno.

I don't understand why anyone cares about this at all in the first place, it's so fucking weird.

Yes, spaghetti with Cincinnati chili and cheese is a delicious thing.

Type40

Ughhh
I feel like you are the kind of people telling me Sriracha sauce (Huy Fong's one) is not sweet at all. Sriracha Is slightly sweet.

Off topic: I will group people who put ketchup on everything with those who like to add Sriracha sauce on everything.

Words escape me....Jesus Fuck.

Top Bottom