• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heinz Chicago Dog Sauce

louiedog

I thought I didn't like hot dogs as a kid until I realized the problem was people putting ketchup on them and giving them to me. Mustard is the way to go if you're just putting on a condiment from a bottle.

Type40

I only recognize 3 ways to eat hotdogs:

Ketchup and Mustard

Ketchup and Peanut Butter

Corndog

How are Montreal steamies on that chart but not Toronto street meat

I am outraged

I love the Street Dogs in TO, gotta have one everytime i'm up from Buffalo.

gamz

I wonder how many people in Chicago have ever tried ketchup on a hot dog? Knowing Chicago I bet very few people have, but most of them will tell you how wrong ketchup is.
I don't get why they're so bothered by what other people put on their food anyway.

That said, Chicago style hot dogs are probably the best hot dogs.

Kids. My kids love ketchup on a hotdog but they get a pass because their taste buds are shitty until they get older.

Primus

Punishment for ketchup on a hot dog is Chicago:

The Chicago Handshake

C6kiJS-XUAA_byK.jpg

Your Malort doesn't scare me, Chicagoan, I've already been inducted.

The ketchuping of hot dogs will continue until my morale improves.

golem

I always put ketchup on hot dogs until I tried it without in Chicago and I gotta say, no ketchup is the right way.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I always put ketchup on hot dogs until I tried it without in Chicago and I gotta say, no ketchup is the right way.

Depends on the hot dog for me. If it's a big delicious grilled sausage then I will just do mustard and sriracha. But a store bought Oscar Myer type? Ketchup is fine.

Sanjuro

Depends on the hot dog for me. If it's a big delicious grilled sausage then I will just do mustard and sriracha. But a store bought Oscar Myer type? Ketchup is fine.

Italian Sausage Sanwich with peppers, onions, hot sauce is a staple around here.

If you can't hang with the Chow Mein Sandwiches...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just wanna say I hate sweet pickle relish

You can't be mad at ketchup if you eat that stuff

Ketchup>relish sure,but in a hot dog, relish is perfection. It doesn't overpower any taste, just adds to it. Ketchup should not be on any hot dog. Too much vinegar and no balance vs the rest of the ingredients.

IMO a great hot dog is fantastic food stuff and it shouldn't be ruined by ketchup. Eat your ketchup with a nice side of fries. Now that's perfect.

I'm from Chicago and I never put mustard on my dogs for one simple reason: why the fuck would I put that shit on a hot dog to kill any and all flavor that actually compliments a quality beef dog? Seriously. If it's a good dog you don't need mustard hiding the taste. Some homemade relish, celery salt, ketchup and off you go. Mustard is far too overpowering and only compromises the flavor.

zulux21

Ketchup is the best condiment on hot dogs, burgers, steak anything.

I'm fine with ketchup on burgers or hot dogs but if you want it on a steak then you need to get a better steak.

a good steak needs nothing put on top of it, just the seasonings it was cooked in (and even that really doesn't need to be more than a little salt and pepper).

yes even steak sauce is just as much of a sin as ketchup.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm from Chicago and I never put mustard on my dogs for one simple reason: why the fuck would I put that shit on a hot dog to kill any and all flavor that actually compliments a quality beef dog? Seriously. If it's a good dog you don't need mustard hiding the taste. Some homemade relish, celery salt, ketchup and off you go. Mustard is far too overpowering and only compromises the flavor.

On the contrary a good mustard can amplify the meat and spices in a good sausage and further mustard emulsified fats in the hot dog and contributes to texture and mouthfeel.

I

If you can't hang with the Chow Mein Sandwiches...

GLORK!!

Part of me understands how the first chow Mein sandwich came into being. Just don't understand why it got to the second...

Yeoman

Since never. I'm surprised people even ate a dog with anything but mustard on it. It's a big deal up there.

Hell, my grandfather once chased my uncle around the kitchen with a knife after an argument about RC Cola escalated. They take their traditions seriously.
If this is actually true it's downright pathetic as well as disturbing.

Sanjuro

Even you have to admit it ain't pretty.

I think it's pretty in person. It's like cereal. You want that balance of crunchy and soft noodles. It's great! You can technically just eat the dry fried noodles too.

Also, if you actually PM me your address I'll send you some.

trs1080

Neo Member
Just as long as my Maxwell Street polish is left alone.

I wouldn't put ketchup on a dog myself, but some places here in Chicago are real stupid about it. Like there's a place called Gene and Judes that won't even give you ketchup for fries because of this shit. The McD across the street started charging people for it.

Also while we're at it, this city has way too many "cash only" places, including many hole in the wall hot dog places. Get out of the past fellas!

Type40

Aye lad. Next you're gonna try to say that waffles covered with maple syrup aint sweet either, yes?

Real maple syrup has different flavor profile than maple flavored syrup. You can make them as sweet as you want. Sweetness of maple syrup can also depend on its grade of purity.
I don't recommend drinking it straight.

Velcro Fly

I never got how people could be highfalutin about what condiment you put on your cheap, processed meat. And I'm from Chicago

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I never got how people could be highfalutin about what condiment you put on your cheap, processed meat. And I'm from Chicago

It might be cheap or processed but even a cheap dog is still delicious, boiled or grilled. Hot-dogs are a classic meal. I can understand the Chicago way of "No ketchup or we fuck you up", but at the same time it should available everywhere. Not just for fries.

Top Bottom