• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heinz Chicago Dog Sauce

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As a Chicagoan, I agree about the Ketchup thing. Hot dogs are better with Ketchup - fact.

Frankly, Frankie, I am offended by your pizza comment. Chicago pizza is definitively better than NY pizza.

And I'm assuming you're referring to NY pizza as the supposed superior, because those artesian crackers they serve on the east coast barely qualify as pizza!

Crackers? Maybe eat better New York pizza

1200px-Chicago-style_hot_dog_2.jpg

GIT REKT

Why is it neon green?

Hot dog thread? Detroit to the rescue:

lip_licker.gif

McBryBry

As a Chicagoan, I agree about the Ketchup thing. Hot dogs are better with Ketchup - fact.

Frankly, Frankie, I am offended by your pizza comment. Chicago pizza is definitively better than NY pizza.

And I'm assuming you're referring to NY pizza as the supposed superior, because those artesian crackers they serve on the east coast barely qualify as pizza!

There's a reason Chicago-style is the only pizza of its kind, whereas New York, St Louis, etc styles are a little similar.

You're eating tomato soup, not pizza.

Best hot dogs are chili cheese or hot slaw with BBQ sauce.

Chili cheese dogs are god tier.

kendrid

Banned
I live near Chicago and I eat my hotdogs with only ketchup. When downtown I will not order a hotdog. I don't want to get shot.

Chicago Dogs are the best. While I don't do Chicago Dogs at home, I always put a pickle on my hot dogs now. Also ketchup belongs nowhere on a hot dog.

Goofalo

As a Chicago resident, and an mixologist, I'm dissapointed to tell you that:

1. Malort is no longer bottled in Chicago. It's made in Florida. The front of the label on the bottle lies.
2. Malort no longer contains greater wormwood.

It is still one of the most disgusting things you can put in your mouth. It's a joke shot.

There are room for both Chicago Dogs and Coney Islands in my heart. And in my stomach.

It doesn't bother me one bit. I've had this drink once. And it was because I was at Bar Deville (RIP) and a pretty tattooed hipster girl talked me into it.

This is so dumb. As many in this thread have stated, the "no ketchup on hot dogs" is beyond stupid. you can put tomatos on there, but no ketchup? It's the same damn thing.

This is on par with Chicago's deification of all things Ditka and to a similar extent, the '85 Bears.

cakely

It doesn't bother me one bit. I've had this drink once. And it was because I was at Bar Deville (RIP) and a pretty tattooed hipster girl talked me into it.

That is a perfectly good reason for a shot. I have had more than one shot of Malort in Chicago bars for that exact reason.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like Chicago style dogs but they're too messy and hard to eat and mostly just revolve around dogmatic obsession with tradition.

Just chop up some onions, some tomatoes and put them on a dog with mustard and relish and you're 90% of the way there.

I like a Chicago dog, but it's an unwieldy meal. I don't understand why they don't make a relish of all the ingredients chopped together.

Its not unwieldy, its just not meant for the hands of a child.

Also, I'm leaning towards this video being fake. It'd be nigh impossible to not realize that is ketchup by mere sight, much less taste.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its not unwieldy, its just not meant for the hands of a child.

Also, I'm leaning towards this video being fake. It'd be nigh impossible to not realize that is ketchup by mere sight, much less taste.
It is. A full pickle makes eating it weird and the peppers should just be chopped. It's all about the experience and tradition so people refuse to make them easier to eat.

smurfx

get some go again
mustard is freaking nasty. ruins anything it's put on for me. i rather eat the hotdog with no condiments.

Chicago dogs are the best. If you never had one you gotta try it. The celery salt is my favorite part and pictures don't do it justice. I can't find sport peppers anywhere in the NW so I'll use picked Serrano.

besada

Banned
Eat your hot dogs however you want. Food tribalism is silly.

I like mine with onion, mustard, cheese, and either ketchup or relish (sometimes spicy). But I'll happily trade the ketchup for cut up tomatoes and the relish for a pickle. I don't mind it it's got chili or kimchee on it. I'm fine with a traditional dog, an all-beef dog, a brat, or just about any kind of sausage you can get in the bun. I've had a great pretzel dog, with potato chips and bacon, and I've had an andouille dog with remoulade and grilled onions. It's all good.

CDV13

Punishment for ketchup on a hot dog is Chicago:

The Chicago Handshake

C6kiJS-XUAA_byK.jpg

Fuuuuck that. What a horrible drink. Was coaxed into a shot of that when I visited and nearly punched the asshole who suggested it.

Old style is fine though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If I was President, I'd state that no man should be judged for what he puts on his hot dog, but by the character of the man himself.

Top Bottom