• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Electronic Musicians: Want to start planning another compilation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
May 1, 2008

Alright people, the big day is here. It's May 1st, and that means submission time for this project.

Just make them downloadable from somewhere so that both lil smoke and I can easily get a hold of them. zshare was one of the more popular places to put the tracks last time, or if you have your own web space, and want to make your songs into direct downloads there, that's fine too. It looks like both lil smoke and I will be running around a fair bit for the next little while, so please make sure the songs are available for download. Sending the files via IM will be very difficult since we're not sure when we'll be around to receive them.

For now, just try to get your file uploaded somewhere so everyone can have a listen and we can all help each other EQ their tracks prior to running everything through mastering software.

Well, it's been a week of voting, and here are the results:

Theatrical Music 34% 15 <---Winner!
Half Dance / Half Down Tempo (ie The Party and the Calm Afterward) 20% 9
Music Inspired by a Specific Game 16% 7
All-Chiptunes 14% 6
Straightahead Dance Music 7% 3
Toe Spazzin DnB 5% 2
Make an alternate soundtrack to an upcoming game 5% 2

total votes: 44

As has been discussed, theatrical means evocative. It doesn't necessarily have to be some sweeping John William's epic. That's way too narrow of a definition. The point is to write a piece that draws a mental image be it analog synths in Bladerunner, funky tunes in Superfly, or half the background music in Family Guy.

lil smoke brought up a good point that we should put a time limit on tracks for this one since the style could leave the door to 15 minute epics dripping with pretentious wankery, so I propose a 5 minute limit this time as a safety precaution.

Also, let's try to make this project a little more communicative for discussing techniques and such. I think a lot of us got into the habit of disappearing to write our songs, then submitting it a few months later without really doing much else. Let's get more discussion of things like compression, reverb, sampling, and so forth this time around. We may learn a thing or two from comparing notes a bit more.

Interested Participants

Note: I've linked up works in progress from some of the participants for people to get a listen to and comment on.

Agent Ironside
Are You Out: http://www.myspace.com/djslev3n

alistairw
alaria
Albino Samurai
Animal

bggrthnjsus
http://cfarcade.com/music/iaas_gafcomp_breakers.mp3

Bit-Bit

DemonCleaner
http://www.filehosting.at/files/download.php?file=65a222d6578edb9ddcedc69c6527935b

Dopeyfish
Edag Plata
Fixed2BeBroken

Fusebox
http://users.tpg.com.au/djfusion//DoYouKnow-Fusion.mp3

Gattsu25
Gattsu Grunge: http://www.filehosting.at/files/download.php?file=7612f15822f2de1bddbdc7c459ec830a

iced lightning
The Gentlemen's Agreement: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6328078&q=hi

Karma Kramer

lil smoke
http://www.xnenx.com/game.html

LiveFromKyoto
LordMaji
m0dus

Mark D
Superposition
Think Orange, Count Two

Mato

megashock5
The Best Intentions in the World
Logic Bomb

monchi-kun
http://web.mac.com/baka.saru/Music/Baka_Saru.html

nofi

permutated
Nathan Rain - Odyssey: http://web.mac.com/permutated/Permutation/Media/Nathan Rain - Odyssey.mp3

pixelated
polyh3dron
rezbit
RSTEIN
RZ Riot

SDZeta
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6418023&q=hi

shagg_187
Solaros

SpacLock
Listen - Quick Intro: http://www.zshare.net/audio/8486710b2e16d3/

straydog1980

The Lamonster
Tug of War
Sovereign Entity

Timedog
Tr4nce

Vaxadrin
http://earvalve.earstroke.com/mp3/lam/3 Mythical Creatures.mp3

X5z
Castle Grounds

Helpful Links for Musicians:
Discussion on Mixdowns and EQing
All about Equalizing
Mastering and Bass Mixdown for 4/4 Hard-Dance music
Side Chaining tutorial
Ableton tutorial VIDEO: Side Chain Compression

lil smoke

Banned
I'm throwing in a vote for theatrical. This doesn't have to be atmospheric, orchestral or anything... wide open, but has to have some movie soundtrack or movie effects flavor. I think that leaves the door wide open for anyone to get involved.

I'd also second a dance theme, even though I can't do dance, it would be a blast trying!

Mark D

I'm so in.

I've got no good ideas at the moment, though I kinda dig lil smoke's theatrical suggestion.

Some of the most obvious things we could do are a specific game theme (i.e. Mega Man, etc.) or just a mish-mash of various gaming covers, but I'm sure we can come up with something better than those.

LordMaji

I think I may actually jump in on this one, I thought about it last time but never had time. I have 3 weeks of off time from school to actually sit in the studio to do something. Also I have a new comp to setup and record with.

What's the frame work? just electronic? no lyrics? or anything goes?

+1 but i'd like to get some guitar in. theatrical is a great idea since it's outside of my comfort zone so i can push myself o experiment

:)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Put me down as another person in favor of a theatrical them for our next project. It could allow for a much broader number of approaches to how we make our music.

Tr4nce

Oh Nash, you insane :)

We just finished G.A.M.E.!! Anyway, we should take at least 6 months for this project. I'm currently very busy, and a musician should never be forced :D

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yeah, I think the last one clocked in at around 5 months, so we'll give this one plenty of time too. If anyone is feeling particularly ambitious this time around, we could even try and make one or two videos to post on Youtube for our next project. What do you guys think?

LordMaji

Mr Nash said:
Yeah, I think the last one clocked in at around 5 months, so we'll give this one plenty of time too. If anyone is feeling particularly ambitious this time around, we could even try and make one or two videos to post on Youtube for our next project. What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me.

I'm going to be working on stuff tonight anyways. I have a song I need to finish before xmas. It's kind of a present. :p If end of getting stuck I may work on something for GAF.

I'm game. ;-)

New hardware on it's way aswell so it might/will take some time getting to know how it actualy works and stuff...
But i'm defenitly up for it again, and more prepared.

Core Zero

I missed getting in on G.A.M.E. but I'd love to get in on a next one.

I'd vote for a GAF VG Remix project. Another suggestion would be a collaboration project to let people team up and combine their talents.

lil smoke

Banned
Judging by the response so far, it looks like Mr Nash and I may need some final processing help! Anyone good with mastering?

I'm not so sure it'd be a good idea to limit the genre... something like music to a fictional lost level of one of your favorite games would be cool.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Just keep the ideas coming for now. I'll make a poll around New Year's and we can vote on all of the options.

Fusebox said:
We've done GAME, how about DANCE? I'd love to hear everyones take on something up-tempo.

Are we going by "Dance" music in the traditional sense (ie. house, techno, trance, etc.), or are we talking dancable music, so basically, say 120 BPS+ toe-tappers?

X5z

I'm in too. I think theatrical would be an interesting and fun challenge, so that gets my vote.

lil smoke said:
Judging by the response so far, it looks like Mr Nash and I may need some final processing help! Anyone good with mastering?

Well, i'm getting more comfortable with it, and i can handle different kind of files if needed.
Handiest thing would be to record the songs in different tracks so i could put each single track in a mastering session within Cubase or Wavelab, hook it up to my mixer end re-record the entire song again within Wavelab or other recording device.
It's what i do when i record a song actualy....
Bit of a long way to do it, but i lke doing it in the "touristic route" because i have even more control over the individual sounds, the results come out best that way. (in my humblest opinion)
Having said that, i do think my track on the frst album should have been mastered better (by myself, not the people who put the album together)
Think i might have put one of my compressors in a wrong setting or something.....
Anyways, i'm busy experimenting with this right now and with some colaborating i reckon i might be able to handle the mastering session for the next album.
Lord knows i have the equipment, just not the exact right knowledge on how to use it yet. :D

Fusebox

Banned
Mr Nash said:
Are we going by "Dance" music in the traditional sense (ie. house, techno, trance, etc.), or are we talking dancable music, so basically, say 120 BPS+ toe-tappers?

I'd say any interpretation of it would be fine, anything that makes people move I guess.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Another option could be half dance and half down tempo-ish stuff (at least slower stuff anyway), so it's like the party and the aftermath.

Mark D

Mr Nash said:
Another option could be half dance and half down tempo-ish stuff (at least slower stuff anyway), so it's like the party and the aftermath.

I think I like that idea the best so far. I'm working on a song that might be a good segue from the party to the aftermath.

It may also give the compilation a stronger sense of being an album if there's a better flow to it.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Mark D said:
I think I like that idea the best so far. I'm working on a song that might be a good segue from the party to the aftermath.

It may also give the compilation a stronger sense of being an album if there's a better flow to it.

Yeah, it could be a thematic A-side and B-side. We just need to decide what the aftermath is. I kind of like the idea of some soothing stuff there a la Left Side Drive by Boards of Canada.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Quick question. Does anyone know where I can find the audio files in World of Warcraft? I want to use a sample of the succubus where she slaps her ass and says, "Oooo!" for this track I'm working on for fun. I was looking in my WoW folder, but couldn't see the files. Are they hidden? Any online sources where WoW audio can be downloaded from?

I'm in again. I liked the previous suggestion of a Mega Man cover album, I think it would attract a decent amount of attention. Although we'd have to work together to ensure there was no duplication.
I've got dibs on Bubble Man.

I think a cover album might be too limiting but the theatrical idea is nice. I do love mega man music and all but I'm not too interested in making covers personally.

Fusebox

Banned
Y'know, listening to the pure dance tracks on GAME I'm realising I should have just done the same thing and not bothered changing my style in the first place, but as a result I'd now like to dodge the dance theme this time so I can really get outside my comfort zone - I'm changing my vote to theatrical/movie soundtrack, that'll be way more challenging and should be a good excuse to bust out some dark, synthy John Carpenter 80s style horror licks.

Solaros

I am indifferent and flexible musically so name a style and I will see what I can stir up.

Edit: Or someone can write a story and people can be assigned certain parts of the story and in turn write music about how that part of the story makes them feel. Or just take any story. So theater?

Diablos

I think you guys should do game music remixes. List a bunch of songs, then have us GAF members vote on the top __ songs that you will work on.

Must we absolutely stick with a theme? Isn't it actually a good thing for each member to make a song they feel like doing? I don't know, to me it promotes the diversity of the NeoGAF community, and it could actually reach more people who wouldn't necessarily be interested in theme A or theme B.
This is what I love about G.A.M.E, there is a great diversity. I thought this would just be G.A.M.E volume 2. However, I'm 100% alright with having a specific theme. It could be a nice challenge. :)

FightyF

Banned
I'm down fo sho!

I mentioned in the older threads that maybe we could so something that involves all bands (electronic or otherwise) on GAF...what do you guys think about that for this next one? I was talking to Sonki (who has a hardcore punk band) and he said he would be up for it.

We thought the most inclusive "theme" would simply be "videogame cover", that way someone can do a DnB track, Dance track, Punk track, Folk track, even Polka track, but it would be a cover of a particular videogame song. In that way, though it's a variety of styles, it would be a consistent theme.

For those new to making music, don't fear, you can usually find MIDI version of your favourite videogame songs to find out the notes/chords used in the songs.

What do you guys think about that? I also think that something like that would get even more attention within the online gaming forum-space because they're all songs people would recognize. Personally, I would love to hear an album with a punk version of Guile's theme, a drum and bass version of Hydrocity Zone's theme, an experimental version of Zelda's theme, etc.

On the other hand, it may not be challanging enough for some as it's not recreating a song from scratch, but rather re-interpreting an existing song.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I want to get into this. I have limited free time because I also have an illustration I want to finish before the end of the vacations, but it can push me to finish the illustration so I can focus on this next.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't like the idea of making a video game tune remix, there are already plenty. The game-age inspired music was fine, but remixes to me has already been done a plenty.

I think we should aim higher, we have a lot of people here, yet at the same time we shouldn't make this too complex to the point where it wouldn't be finished.

So how about this: A visual AND musical work? A bit like Interstellar 5555. Of course of an animation style that remains within our capacity, something more simple, maybe something more flash-based. Something along the lines of REZ. Basically, a story. It can be about anything. Could be the evolution of a cell that eventually becomes a more complex life form all the way to space exploration. Could be something more weird like a conflict among geometrical shapes that eventually leads to an all-out war. Could be the story of a character traveling through a mysterious land, side-scrolling style. All the while the music reflects what is going on.

As for the style itself, we could go for anything, but have the overall sound be more electronic. For example, someone goes for something acoustic, but it is then adjusted to fit with the overall style of the album, so everything remains consistent (electronic music can adapt to all sorts of styles).

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom