• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the best fighting game on the DS not getting any love?!

Sylar

Banned
180279b.jpg

Price: $29.99!
Review!

I've been playing this game non stop since I got it this morning and it's amazing. Easily the best fighter on DS. Anywho, people should pick this up! The online non friend code multiplayer (Yes! Nintendo WiFi without friends code!) is almost lag free but no one plays!!!

The addition of the moves on the bottom screen is just genious. True, it doesn't show the combinations for Shang Sung (SP?) but it's still amazing.

Seriously guys, pick this up! :lol

Sylar

Banned
I'd claim it perfect arcade port, except for you know, the controls and the graphics aren't as pretty but pretty amazing.

I'd probably say it's the definite version though. Online play and a easily viewable move list? PLUS Puzzle Fighter? And it's online too!!!

Pick it up! I know Bleach and Dra??? are really good too, but this is unskippable. Even if you hate MK!

Jackson

I got all kinds of connection errors with my friend trying to play local wifi... :(

But gameplay wise it seemed like a good port (the cool thing I liked is the top screen has a move list for you... how sweet is that? all the fatalities were right there for me to see... it's the coolest idea for a fighting game ever...)

Sylar

Banned
You can move the movelist to the bottom screen too (thats what I did).

We should set up an online match!

It's quite amazing how the DS can run fighters with almost no lag, but the big consoles couldn't! :lol

fernoca

I was planning on doing some kind of an official thread (with pictures, avatars, friend codes list, etc), but since most of my threads are Mortal Kombat related, and most are ignored or just filled with "MK sucks since MKII", I decided to not do anything..and just enjoy the game. :p

The game was released in November and was basically ignored around (no surprise, but then because of the flood of great it was acceptable)

As a long time MK fan, yeah the port is nearly arcade perfect minus:
-Slightly low res
-Aliased edges on the characters
-A slight pause when you punch the opponent to another stage

But that's it..
Lats night I managed to get 20 fights straight with some random guy, which I won like..10..hehehe..

The game also keeps tracks of nearly everything: what you unlocked, wins, losses, number of fatalities/friendships/etc you've performed online and offline, etc...

In the end, is just UMK3..portable...online...with an extra screen telling you most of the moves and Puzzle Kombat thrown as a bonus and online too, which is darn great in my book.

TheDuce22

Banned
The best part is the netcode. Its on par with the ps3 and 360 MK games. I didnt think that would be possible with the cheap little wifi thing built into the DS.

Sylar

Banned
fernoca said:
I was planning on doing some kind of an official thread (with pictures, avatars, friend codes list, etc), but since most of my threads are Mortal Kombat related, and most are ignored or just filled with "MK sucks since MKII", I decided to not do anything..and just enjoy the game. :p

The game was released in November and was basically ignored around (no surprise, but then because of the flood of great it was acceptable)

As a long time MK fan, yeah the port is nearly arcade perfect minus:
-Slightly low res
-Aliased edges on the characters
-A slight pause when you punch the opponent to another stage

But that's it..
Lats night I managed to get 20 fights straight with some random guy, which I won like..10..hehehe..

The game also keeps tracks of nearly everything: what you unlocked, wins, losses, number of fatalities/friendships/etc you've performed online and offline, etc...

In the end, is just UMK3..portable...online...with an extra screen telling you most of the moves and Puzzle Kombat thrown as a bonus and online too, which is darn great in my book.

Sad thing is people exploit with Kabal online! :lol Or atleast I tell myself that so it justifys my losses! :lol

If you're ever up for an easy win fernoca let me know! I still haven't gotten controls down pat yet and need to learn combos and stage fatalities but I love it so far!

Odysseus

Banned
bought it a week ago, the cpu kicks my tail way too often :/

still haven't figured out if there's any real strategery involved in puzzle kombat or if it's just the random block dropper it appears to be.

oh well, doesn't matter. i bought another mk ds yesterday. mario kart.

Mr Jared

Odysseus said:
bought it a week ago, the cpu kicks my tail way too often :/

Yeah, uh ... don't play any of the older Mortal Kombats in single player :lol The AI is absolutely insane.

I played this for a couple of minutes when it first came in. It felt pretty solid to me ... I was running around and doing Sindel combos all over the place. I only wish it were MK Trilogy because I have a feeling that's never going to get ported anywhere ever again.

Aras

Cool!! No more friend codes !!!! =0 UMK DS for the win !! ><

but what happens if I want to play against a friend of mine =( how can I play just with him without using Friend Code? Is there a Chat Room or something like that?

Odysseus

Banned
alkaline black said:
Yeah, uh ... don't play any of the older Mortal Kombats in single player :lol The AI is absolutely insane.

meh, would have enjoyed the ability to dial it down a notch.

this game is absolutely ruthless. i cannot for the life of me beat it on novice.
i also haven't done ANY fatalities yet. the whole game feels really fast paced, and doesn't give you time to breathe. in the console games the narrator would be all dramatic like "....round one......FIGHT!" but in this game he's all "ROUNDONEFIGHT!" and you're already getting the shit kicked out of you by the ai. and it only gives you about 1 second to complete the button combinations for a fatality. its insane.

Sylar

Banned
Aras said:
Cool!! No more friend codes !!!! =0 UMK DS for the win !! ><

but what happens if I want to play against a friend of mine =( how can I play just with him without using Friend Code? Is there a Chat Room or something like that?

No it's all random, but you get to see the usernames name and you have to confirm before jumping into the match. You can do Friend Code also.

Also to the idiot bashing MK: Get the fuck outta my thread!

Sylar

Banned
Also what was the thing you had to do to be able to enter in a Animality? Wasn't it a special combination THEN the Animality combination?

Leezard

Sylar said:
No it's all random, but you get to see the usernames name and you have to confirm before jumping into the match. You can do Friend Code also.

Also to the idiot bashing MK: Get the fuck outta my thread!

Isn't that the same as almost every other game? At least MKDS worked that way.

Sylar said:
This is unskippable. Even if you hate MK!
How do you suppose that? Why would this game appeal to someone who does not like Mortal Kombat?

Mamesj said:
that's not Bleach...
No, it doesn't seem to be Bleach at all. :(
Looks like I'm not the only one who thought this thread would be about Bleach.

I'm so glad you made this thread, OP. I was so excited for this game when it was announced. I mean, UMK3 is my favorite MK game, and they added local and wi-fi multiplayer. It's basically just UMK3 on XBLA but you can play it anywhere you want. I've been playing it almost everyday since it was released. It fucking rules.

Sylar

Banned
Get that anime crap out of this thread!

Bleach is good and all, but it's not and will never be Mortal Kombat. MK is more of a fighting game than Bleach anyways.

LowParry

Ehhhh. I'm too busy with other fighters (Tekken, VF5, MKII, and a ton of PS2 games). And besides. My DS will be occupied with Final Fantasy IV by the end of next week.

Sylar said:
Get that anime crap out of this thread!

Bleach is good and all, but it's not and will never be Mortal Kombat. MK is more of a fighting game than Bleach anyways.
Uh oh. This thread no longer has any chance of staying on topic. You should have just ignored the Bleach-related comments.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I too had no idea it existed and I too will be purchasing post haste. As goofy as it looks, I love putting the moves and fatalities on the bottom screen. It's far more convenient than having to look at a print-off every two minutes.

2DMention

Banned
Are there people playing it online for both it and the puzzle game? I'd hate to pick it up only not to get any matches.

Azuran

Banned
Well, I have that game but my wireless connection is busted right now. I'm also to cheap to buy a connector.

Aras

Leezard said:
Isn't that the same as almost every other game? At least MKDS worked that way.

Yeah, so what's the difference between this MK and Tetris DS cause Tetris DS was random too and can use Friend codes too ... =S

Sylar

Banned
This is third party.

UMK3 has players online, I dunno abotu Puzzle Kombat yet. I'll check later or one of the others who have it can let you know.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Sylar said:
The online non friend code multiplayer (Yes! Nintendo WiFi without friends code!) is almost lag free but no one plays!!!

Is there any sort of communication back and forth in the game, or is it just battling? Are there friend codes so you can ensure someone is on your list?

I'm just curious, as Friend Codes have only been required when doing in-game communication or setting up matches with someone ahead of time. Adding opponents to a game list in-game has been done before on the DS (Metroid Prime Hunters).

Trakdown

Sylar said:
Also what was the thing you had to do to be able to enter in a Animality? Wasn't it a special combination THEN the Animality combination?

If I'm not mistaken, you had to perform a "mercy", hit the other character again and then do the animality.

mosaic

go eat paint
Sylar said:
Oh snap! You obviously don't play many fighting games... and you're also clearly against freedom, puppies, and warm apple pie.

Ignore the anime license -- Bleach: Blade of Fate is the best 2D fighting game on the DS, period. Treasure put together a game with balance, prolific combos, useful specials, multiple levels of supers, AND some excellent visuals and audio. 20+ Characters? Check! Online play? Check!

UMK(3) is good and all, but it's still the very best of a series that never really was balanced or fluid...

Let me end with a "me too" on the "I thought the thread title referred to Bleach" comments.

Lee N

Membre
I came into this thread expecting one of the Bleach games.

Since when was mortal kombat the best anything?

Top Bottom