• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show - 04/25/08 - Socom, Space Invaders Extreme, Arkanoid DS, Noitu Love 2

Tieno

binaryburrito said:
We have to wait just like you all do. I've only seen the trailers!

...and I may have looked at a live stream yesterday for a minute or two ;)
is the wmv 100% uploaded?

_leech_ said:
Umm, you mean no one's reviewing it yet?

The reviews were done several weeks ago; and after the three reviewers were done, Rockstar took the games and went home. I'll be grabbing my copy late Monday night/Tuesday morning!

KTallguy

Banned
LOL how are you gonna be on the street at 11:59 on Monday night?? :p

Socom looks great for pre-alpha!

Space Invaders is on PSP? Hmm, it looks a bit DS-like, but still nice looking.

rabhw

Noitu Love 2 seems interesting, but from that footage it looked to be a bit "win-button-ish", how does skill factor into the gameplay besides click accuracy to move onto the next enemy? Once you are actually attacking an enemy, are you just mashing the left mouse button until they die? Sorry for my ignorance.

jet1911

Socom looks... boring. Never played a Socom game though. Noitu Love 2 on the other hand looks insanely awesome. :D

jacobs34

It's pretty shitty that I can go on justin.tv and watch people playing GTA 4 but you guys aren't allowed to put up professional coverage of the game.

KTallguy said:
Space Invaders is on PSP? Hmm, it looks a bit DS-like, but still nice looking.

It actually looks quite a bit better on PSP than it appears to in the show. I hate PSP capture :(
Anyway, both versions are good. The DS version seems easier to me, the graphics aren't as nice, and I don't like having to deal with the top screen during boss battles/bonus rounds. I haven't tired the knob though; that might make it great!

The PSP version looks nicer, and like I said, it seemed a bit more difficult -- in a good way. But for me the biggest reason to choose PSP over DS is the soundtrack; IMO, it's far superior to the DS version's.

But both versions are ridiculously awesome. It's my favorite retro remake since Pac Man Championship Edition.

KTallguy

Banned
Yea, the sound does look really awesome.

They should make it so you can turn the PSP upside down and attach a controller to the USB port, and then flip the screen upside down :lol

It would work, right?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
rabhw said:
Noitu Love 2 seems interesting, but from that footage it looked to be a bit "win-button-ish", how does skill factor into the gameplay besides click accuracy to move onto the next enemy? Once you are actually attacking an enemy, are you just mashing the left mouse button until they die? Sorry for my ignorance.

No win button in this game. That might have been on the easier difficulty, I dunno. When you get to the enemy, yea, you click until they die, but, it takes skill to get through the levels and beat the bosses. I'm playing on hard now, with Xoda, and, even though the main enemies go down, you take damage a hell of a lot faster. Also, the bosses are upgraded with new attacks/ speed. Plus, some of the later enemies do crazy things to kill you.

One thing they didn't say, was that when you play with the extra characters, the level changes to their play style. Meaning, the first secret character (one I unlocked so far) has no grapple, so, there are little blocks/things set up for it to jump off of and maneuver around. Awesome thinking. Shit capcom should have done with DMC4.

KTallguy said:
Yea, the sound does look really awesome.

They should make it so you can turn the PSP upside down and attach a controller to the USB port, and then flip the screen upside down :lol

It would work, right?

Or it could hug the entire device, with clips on the top and bottom... it would plug into the top, and have the actual knob on underneath the PSP... if only I worked for Hori :)

KTallguy

Banned
Wow, OWNED by Simon :lol

Yea, that would be interesting if it strapped around the PSP.
Logistically it may not work out because of the size of the PSP.

Edit: Wow, Simon just owned himself too :lol

dkeane

binaryburrito said:
It actually looks quite a bit better on PSP than it appears to in the show. I hate PSP capture :(
Anyway, both versions are good. The DS version seems easier to me, the graphics aren't as nice, and I don't like having to deal with the top screen during boss battles/bonus rounds. I haven't tired the knob though; that might make it great!

The PSP version looks nicer, and like I said, it seemed a bit more difficult -- in a good way. But for me the biggest reason to choose PSP over DS is the soundtrack; IMO, it's far superior to the DS version's.

But both versions are ridiculously awesome. It's my favorite retro remake since Pac Man Championship Edition.
Also doesn't the PSP version lack the online mode? Not that the online mode on the DS is all that great. It's just a quick diversion. And you should try out the paddle it's really fun.

Downloading now, iiiit's Friday!

NomarTyme

Holy crap! First time watching Space Invader E gameplay! Most likely buy it!

OMG! Noitu Love 2 another awesome looking game! Unexpectedly great episode!

Ceb

SOCOM looks much better than the screens had me believe, even if it's a bit choppy in its current state.

skip said:
it's actually going to be late again today. haven't even recorded yet. shane & shawn are both out.

I was wonder if Shawn was still going to be out for whatever he was gone like with GFW. Who are going to be filling in the three spots?

watership

Stocka said:
What a disappointing lineup.

I still watch, because the show is always well produced, but I admit that I really only love the show when games I'm interested in are presented. They may want to broaden their focus and maybe cover more titles per show.

minc

rabhw said:

I think that's a fair question, actually.

The skill really comes not so much in not dying but in trying not to get hit AT ALL. Enemies never stop spawning and you have to time your movements so that you can avoid attacks, build up your combos and make it to the end as fast as possible all at the same time.

LJ11

Visualante said:
Confrontation's character models are a bit lacklustre. How many players are there at max?

I really like what I saw. It's not a graphical show piece, but they've captured the look and feel of the Socom 1/2. I'm much more optimistic now then I was in the past.

LJ11 said:

I really like what I saw. It's not a graphical show piece, but they've captured the look and feel of the Socom 1/2. I'm much more optimistic now then I was in the past.
Yeah the game looks pretty sick and the tilt mechanics make sense. It was definitely a good call to scale back the environments but I think they could use a little work. 32 players is no easy challenge.

Top Bottom