• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 10.7 (Fallout 3, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet)

YYZ

the LBP coverage they did was for the beeta, game is awesome anyway, they should cover it every week if they could.

voltron said:
Its Oblivion with guns. For some that might be a bad thing, but for me its too awesome.
It is way better than Oblivion though, IMO. Locations and atmosphere is hugely improved, the combat doesn't feel like it's all stats (since you have location based damage this time around, it isn't just run up to your enemy and chomp until dead), better NPC's (though you still have the Bethesta trademark of copy/paste dialogue and THE SAME THREE GODDAMN VOICE ACTORS DOING EVERY VOICE >;( ), better towns, better story, better quests, the works. Add to that the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and actual experience points (as rewards) which is a major step up from the broken mess that was in Oblivion and Morrowind and you have a solid RPG, this is coming from an old Oblivion hater and classic Fallout lover. :p

It isn't as good as Fallout 1 & 2 mind you, but it is a valiant effort, greatly exceeded my very, very low expectations.

ethic

voltron said:
Its Oblivion with guns. For some that might be a bad thing, but for me its too awesome.

Also, I need this weekend confirmed already.

It's much, much more than Oblivion with guns. That's a
silly description of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ethic said:
It's much, much more than Oblivion with guns. That's a
silly description of the game.
The best description of the game is "Oblivion fixed".

voltron

Yeah I definitely agree theres alot more to it than Oblivion - especially under the hood mechanical type stuff.

But walking around meeting NPCs and in combat can often feel like Oblivion with guns:lol VATS is something that makes it better than Oblivion too.

I have no problem with bad language, but goddammit, guys, try to keep the casual swearing down a bit. Every few words there is a totally unnecessary "fuck" or "shit."

Fucking shit.

Show is still great, though.

Schrade

Jack Scofield said:
I have no problem with bad language, but goddammit, guys, try to keep the casual swearing down a bit. Every few words there is a totally unnecessary "fuck" or "shit."
Tobias-Funke-crop.jpg

Oh go on with your surly self.

Schrade said:
Tobias-Funke-crop.jpg

Oh go on with your surly self.

Bah, I'm not surly at all! :D Just to clarify, I'm talking about the "scripted" segments, not the general game discussion, which I don't have a problem with.

And like I said, I don't mind bad language, but it seems kind of forced and unnecessary in some parts.

sk3tch

Great show. The scripted stuff was surprisingly high quality. I didn't notice too much swearing? Just me, though.

Ashhong

sk3tch said:
Great show. The scripted stuff was surprisingly high quality. I didn't notice too much swearing? Just me, though.

there was a good fuckin amount in the intro, like fuckin...lots of fuckin swearing.

and lol at the end. they needed more tina in the episode

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I totally agree with Ellis on the R2 co-op, it's sooo fun.

I actually don't think teamwork is that big of an issue though. As long as each player is doing what their class is supposed to do (shooting, healing, offering ammo), co-op sessions usually go off without a hitch. Especially with all the class specific on-screen notifications telling you who needs what.

Barrett2

Good show this week. The Fallout 3 segment is really making me want the game.

I am so conflicted on Fallout 3, for some reason this new episode is making it look awesome! Too many games!!

theBishop

Banned
They seemed down on Fallout3. I was surprised by that.

I was also surprised to see them kinda down on R2's single-player.

Jtwo said:
Dude, the ending was so funny.

Crap, I downloaded the filefront .wmv and it cut off before the end (trying to jump to a time index would cause the file to crash too) I don't want to download it again.... is it on youtube?

Great show, the ending made me laugh :p

LBP is greatness and R2 looks really good

Fallout 3 looks interesting and i own it (haven't played it) but i wonder how much i'll really dig it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
So so show. Hate the "Well, it's a mix, so it's not fair to say the FPS part sucks, and the RPG part isn't stellar" wut? :lol , yes it is, if it's such a huge part of the game it is.

Resistance 2 looks good, but it never looked bad anyway, it just doesn't look great. Skipped LBP, but i'm sure it still looks awesome 1up, we didn't forget already :lol But yeah i'm sure you're gonna bring it again next week, woop di du

theBishop said:
They seemed down on Fallout3. I was surprised by that.

I was also surprised to see them kinda down on R2's single-player.

its funny though...everything I have seen of R2's single player seems awesome to me...it reminds me of uncharted's approach: fast with tons of variety. Sure a game like bioshock has cohesion, but most of the environments are the same with different licks of paint. Really there is very little variety

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Man Typing said:
Crap, I downloaded the filefront .wmv and it cut off before the end (trying to jump to a time index would cause the file to crash too) I don't want to download it again.... is it on youtube?
it just caught me off guard.

remember in the beginning how he mentioned showering by stuffing gum in the sink and changing the trajectory of the water? The very last shot is tina trying to wash her hands and she turns on the sink and it sprays her in the face. :lol

nelsonroyale said:
its funny though...everything I have seen of R2's single player seems awesome to me...it reminds me of uncharted's approach: fast with tons of variety. Sure a game like bioshock has cohesion, but most of the environments are the same with different licks of paint. Really there is very little variety

yea i've had the same thing. Although i really liked the R1 single player campaign too. It started off ok, and kept ramping up to awesome by the end.

I disliked that they lumped Valve and Infinity Ward in the same sentence when giving examples of great linear FPS campaigns. Infinity Ward shouldn't have been mentioned at all. Any campaign with clown car enemy respawn points shouldn't be praised.

jett

D-Member
R2's campaign doesn't remind me of anything about Uncharted. For R3, they seriously need to hire a more talented visual/art director. 1UP's comments about it not having a visual identity were totally on the mark.

WrikaWrek said:
Skipped LBP, but i'm sure it still looks awesome 1up, we didn't forget already :lol But yeah i'm sure you're gonna bring it again next week, woop di du
Why so mad?

Last week was about the beta and they said they couldn't talk about some stuff that's on retail. Now they can.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Why so mad?

Last week was about the beta and they said they couldn't talk about some stuff that's on retail. Now they can.

Not mad, i can skip it. Just sayin, the show has 3 spots, in two weekends two of those spots were filled by the same game, so a 3rd of the coverage they had was spent on one game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Before I forget, I have to post about how great 1up Show is at actually showing what people are talking about. It's simple but very effective to hear someone talk about pros and cons or just bizarre situations from a game, while you actually get to see it for yourself.
It's funny how I haven't given it much thought even though I've noticed and appreciated it for a number of episodes now. So yeah, great use of the medium and I think it adds a lot in a subtle way.

Akia

Kiriku said:
Before I forget, I have to post about how great 1up Show is at actually showing what people are talking about. It's simple but very effective to hear someone talk about pros and cons or just bizarre situations from a game, while you actually get to see it for yourself.
It's funny how I haven't given it much thought even though I've noticed and appreciated it for a number of episodes now. So yeah, great use of the medium and I think it adds a lot in a subtle way.

I completely agree, like in last week's show when Giancarlo was talking about his Fable 2 dog and then they showed it what happened. Or this week's show when they showed the R2's zombies coming through the theater or the solider guy getting impaled from behind. It really helps to get the point that is being discussed across.

jett said:
R2's campaign doesn't remind me of anything about Uncharted. For R3, they seriously need to hire a more talented visual/art director. 1UP's comments about it not having a visual identity were totally on the mark.

I vote for a new IP, less Ratchet and Clank games and a game every 2 years instead.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Great show guys! Loved the Fallout comedy bits. Genius. Had me rolling the whole time. Your R2 coverage felt like I expected. The SP sure will be good but the MP is a big improvement and will have longer legs. LBP segment was icing on the cake. You sold the game and anyone who doesn't have the game or a PS3 should think about getting it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
WMV link doesn't work for me :/

Rolf NB

What is it that Bethesda's PR people do that makes you all so forgiving? The industry standard for combat isn't wonky feedback-free shit, RPG or not. Better things can be made and do exist. Remember when you played Bioshock? Try and hold Bethesda to any standard sometime for fuck's sake.

Mifune

Mehmber
Good show.

Fallout 3 is slowly but surely climbing into must-play territory for me. Resistance 2 looks good. And I could watch people talk about Little Big Planet all day.

Seriously, LBP should get its own show or podcast. There is just way too much to discuss to fit in an episode of the 1Up Show, and it does take time away from other games that need it more. Holy shit, I would almost pay money for a weekly LBP show though.

And I must be the only person who never finds the skits funny.

jett said:

hmph, I think there statement about 'lack of visual idenitity' was a little bit of a generic statement to justify some untangible dislike that they have for the game's visual appearance...thats fair, but I dont agree with that comment at all. The game takes place overal several very varied locations and represents as such... Maybe they dislike the chimeran design and architecture...thats also fair...but that doesnt necessirally mean that the game isnt cohesive visually...

Top Bottom