• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 10.6 (Tomb Raider Underworld, Fable 2, Far Cry 2)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RSTEIN said:
Holy shit since when did Underworld run at 60fps??? How the hell did I miss this??
WAT! This actually made me interested in the game

dk_

fistfulofmetal said:
That asian dude
is in every segment

why
2rrkmcm.jpg

What the hell happened to your avatar?

dk_

fistfulofmetal said:
Please convey all related complaints to your local forum administrator.
:lol Who changed it? And why?

I guess the wmv version is ready for download. (542mb now)

Gbeav

Banned
I'm at the crucible part right now and that scene is perfect. Whoever came up with that idea during the game development should be shot.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Metalmurphy said:

On the previous page binaryburito said:

I wasn't there when they demoed it, but I was told it was all 360. And from what I've seen of the original HD source footage, I can tell you that the game appears to run at a solid 60 fps, and the animations blow my mind. I want that game bad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tomb Raider Legend ran at 60 FPS on Xbox...if Underworld runs at 60 FPS on 360 that would be amazing but I doubt it based on how it looks.

Somnia

I'm pretty sure that was the PS3 version of tomb raider btw guys. So you have an idea of how smooth it will run. If you see the part on the bike when she gets off, it's the PS3 dpad.

dejan

Wow, Underworld sure has come a long way. Fable 2 looks fantastic. I was pretty impressed by the combat. I still wish for a pc version because of the technical problems. The GAF thread made me worry a bit, but after seeing the Far Cry 2 footage I'm ready for the game. Hopefully I'll get my copy tomorrow.

Great show guys!

minc

Somnia said:
I'm pretty sure that was the PS3 version of tomb raider btw guys. So you have an idea of how smooth it will run. If you see the part on the bike when she gets off, it's the PS3 dpad.

Nope, I was sitting right there capturing the footage that I used in the segment. It was on a 360 dev kit. I'd assume that it was just some unfinished art assets. :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
The ambient music during the tropical scene was amazing. I love that about the Tomb Raider games is they are so good at making it feel like an exotic escape.

thatJohann

i really really REALLY hope TR Underworld turns out to be good. I have a bad feeling it will suck. but I hope for greatness.

Oh, and also I hope for a decent PS3 version for a change, not a gimped port a la farcry2.
I love my 360, but its dead, so i only have PS3 right now and i'd love to see a polished version for a change.

please make it happen.

_Angelus_

Banned
Hopefully they show allot more gameplay in this video, I am rather sick of the Tomb Raider documentaries. Man I can't wait. I want to experience that moody TR setting all over again. Exploring those creepy locations along with their subtle music interludes,ahhhhhhh.
:D

My potential game of the year if all bolds well.

Btw-Uncharted ain't got nothing on Tomb Raider. Gears of War meets Lost is Uncharted,Tomb Raider is a work of art on your senses.:D

Y2Kev said:
Tomb Raider Legend ran at 60 FPS on Xbox...if Underworld runs at 60 FPS on 360 that would be amazing but I doubt it based on how it looks.
But that was the low spec mode. Same that you could enable on the PC, which would get me around 120fps, but as soon as I turned on the high spec mode it would go down to 20-30 fps.

I'll be really impressed if they managed to get that mode to run at 60fps.

minc said:
Nope, I was sitting right there capturing the footage that I used in the segment. It was on a 360 dev kit. I'd assume that it was just some unfinished art assets. :)
That's kinda odd since the PS3 footage captured by gamersyde actually had 360 buttons showing up.

PS3 version with 360 buttons
360 version with PS3 buttons
:lol

Angelus said:
Btw-Uncharted ain't got nothing on Tomb Raider. Gears of War meets Lost is Uncharted,Tomb Raider is a work of art on your senses.:D
LOl no. Also, WHAT?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Well between Underworld and the leaked Eight Days footage, Uncharted 2 has its work cut out for it. It was interesting watching Lara jump and twirl around because it made me realize how different Uncharted really is, they kept talking about how they wanted to make Nathan Drake an everyday guy and it only just now clicked with me that he doesn't do any kind of superhero acrobatic stuff during the platforming. Interested to see how/if Uncharted 2 ups the ante

I kind of wish they'd drop the Tomb Raider franchise, though, I know it's shallow to say this but just the fact that it's yet another Tomb Raider game makes me instinctively want to ignore it. If they had a new hero[ine] and a new franchise and this was the beginning of something fresh I'm sure I'd be tripping over myself to see more of it because it looked really good in that footage

~Kinggi~

Banned
kenta said:
Well between Underworld and the leaked Eight Days footage, Uncharted 2 has its work cut out for it. It was interesting watching Lara jump and twirl around because it made me realize how different Uncharted really is, they kept talking about how they wanted to make Nathan Drake an everyday guy and it only just now clicked with me that he doesn't do any kind of superhero acrobatic stuff during the platforming. Interested to see how/if Uncharted 2 ups the ante

I kind of wish they'd drop the Tomb Raider franchise, though, I know it's shallow to say this but just the fact that it's yet another Tomb Raider game makes me instinctively want to ignore it. If they had a new hero[ine] and a new franchise and this was the beginning of something fresh I'm sure I'd be tripping over myself to see more of it because it looked really good in that footage
stfu

~Kinggi~

Banned
kenta said:
Sure thing, buddy

Screen tearing in the Fable 2 segment: is that in the game or just the encoding?
I know there was some screen tearing in the first section of the game with the snow but i havent noticed any during the rest.

GreekWolf

kenta said:
I kind of wish they'd drop the Tomb Raider franchise, though, I know it's shallow to say this but just the fact that it's yet another Tomb Raider game makes me instinctively want to ignore it.
Do you also feel the same way about Mario and Zelda?

Like it or not, Lara Croft is an iconic character with a loyal following, and the franchise will continue to be successful as long as it remains in the hands of competent developers.

kenta

Has no PEINS
~Kinggi~ said:
I got my fisticuffs ready, bitch.
Alright, well, I'll play along with you guys but keep in mind you're obviously pretty passionate about this franchise and I'm... not, so don't be surprised if I just walk away

GreekWolf said:
Do you also feel the same way about Mario and Zelda?
I don't play the Mario or Zelda games so I can't comment on that from my own experience, but the difference seems to be Mario and Zelda games haven't really gone through a period of crappiness to the extent that Tomb Raider has.

A more appropriate parallel, at least in my mind, would be Michael Jordan. Everyone recognizes him as being at the absolute top of his game way back when, and likewise everyone recognizes him as falling from grace during the his baseball and Washington Wizards eras. If you told me Jordan would be making a comeback to basketball, I'd probably shake my head and maybe even bust out one of Shane's really reallys. That's pretty much how it is with me, I'd rather see another Kobe than a Jordan comeback, just like I'd rather see a new franchise instead of another Tomb Raider

GreekWolf

kenta said:
Really? You guys are really going to throw down right here in this thread?
Not at all. I enjoy those franchises as well, and always look forward to new games in the series, though the same core mechanics/characters almost always remain the same through the years.

As long as the established formula continues to be fun (with a few added tweaks in each new iteration), then I say keep em' coming.

~Kinggi~

Banned
kenta said:
Alright, well, I'll play along with you guys but keep in mind you're obviously pretty passionate about this franchise and I'm... not, so don't be surprised if I just walk away

I don't play the Mario or Zelda games so I can't comment on that from my own experience, but the difference seems to be Mario and Zelda games haven't really gone through a period of crappiness to the extent that Tomb Raider has.

A more appropriate parallel, at least in my mind, would be Michael Jordan. Everyone recognizes him as being at the absolute top of his game way back when, and likewise everyone recognizes him as falling from grace during the his baseball and Washington Wizards eras. If you told me Jordan would be making a comeback to basketball, I'd probably shake my head and maybe even bust out one of Shane's really reallys. That's pretty much how it is with me, I'd rather see another Kobe than a Jordan comeback, just like I'd rather see a new franchise instead of another Tomb Raider
Jordan is a bad example because he cant be re-imagined. Tomb Raider they have totally revamped the gameplay, modified the look of Lara, and each game has a different story. It all comes down to whether you like Lara Croft or not. I like her so i want to see her in as many games as possible. CD has done a good job updating the gameplay engine to capture the TR feel while also making it sensible.

kenta

Has no PEINS
~Kinggi~ said:
Jordan is a bad example because he cant be re-imagined. Tomb Raider they have totally revamped the gameplay, modified the look of Lara, and each game has a different story. It all comes down to whether you like Lara Croft or not. I like her so i want to see her in as many games as possible. CD has done a good job updating the gameplay engine to capture the TR feel while also making it sensible.
Right, and that "reimagination" works on you because you're a fan of the series and you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's different with me because the baggage of the previous games comes right along with the Tomb Raider name, and has since the games went downhill in the 90s. Basically I'm just saying it would be easier for them to start fresh rather than to climb back up the hill they slid down however many years ago

Also please keep in mind that post was filled with praise for the footage we just saw and I was only referring to the franchise as a brand

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG tomb raider is GORGEOUS

look at that water

and the MUSIC

OMGGGGGG

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES

THE QUEEN :bow

~Kinggi~

Banned
kenta said:
Right, and that "reimagination" works on you because you're a fan of the series and you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's different with me because the baggage of the previous games comes right along with the Tomb Raider name, and has since the games went downhill in the 90s. Basically I'm just saying it would be easier for them to start fresh rather than to climb back up the hill they slid down however many years ago

Also please keep in mind that post was filled with praise for the footage we just saw and I was only referring to the franchise as a brand
Id rather them continue a great character like Lara and improve everything around her than just start form scratch on some new character which would most likely be a generic adventurer. I personally dont care about the fact they released some crappy psone and ps2 games. Im more interested in what im actually playing now, but that's just me....probably a few others though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
~Kinggi~ said:
Id rather them continue a great character like Lara and improve everything around her than just start form scratch on some new character which would most likely be a generic adventurer. I personally dont care about the fact they released some crappy psone and ps2 games. Im more interested in what im actually playing now, but that's just me....probably a few others though.
Right on, I can respect that

We done?

Danielsan

Great lineup this week. I'm really interested in Far Cry 2, I might get it for the 360 some time this year but it will have to wait for now. I finished Dead Space, next up are fable 2 and Fallout 3.

The Fable 2 segment got me excited but also a bit worried. The screen tearing and pop in seen seem very severe. Also please tell me I can switch that stupid glowing trail off.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was laughing to death about the Fable part where
some guy kicked his dog and he slayed the whole town
:lol

Gowans

Loved the Fable skit!!!

And Tomb Raider looks really good, another one for the pick up then.

/back to Fable 2

The Fable posing skit was fucking hilarious.

Also, am I the only one that has absolutely no interest in playing Fable 2? None of the footage has impressed me at all.

Zeliard

DubloSeven said:
The Fable posing skit was fucking hilarious.

Also, am I the only one that has absolutely no interest in playing Fable 2? None of the footage has impressed me at all.

It's almost impossible to put together solid footage of Fable 2. There's so much shit to do. Playing it makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.

Proc

Far cry 2 footage really impressed me. I love how the 1upshow covers games. Also, that ending credit sequence was amazing.

Teknoman

Trax416 said:
Huh? Money is a big part of Fable 2. More so apart of the game then almost any other RPG in existence.

Defintely. Factors into alot of the different assets of the game. More than just sleep, eating, and equipment.

Also I dont see why people dont get a sense of the landscape connecting just because of the loading screens. Everything seems to still look naturally tied together. Will be installing it on the HDD regardless (didnt say I LIKED the loading).

Danielsan said:
Great lineup this week. I'm really interested in Far Cry 2, I might get it for the 360 some time this year but it will have to wait for now. I finished Dead Space, next up are fable 2 and Fallout 3.

The Fable 2 segment got me excited but also a bit worried. The screen tearing and pop in seen seem very severe. Also please tell me I can switch that stupid glowing trail off.

The screen tearing isnt that bad...at least to me it isnt. I havent really noticed it except a minor amount in a few wide open spaces. Pop in as well. As for the glowing trail, you can turn it off or on low.

Low really makes it non-intrusive, yet its still there if you somehow loose where you set your target.

Also the XBL orbs really add to the atmosphere.

Top Bottom