• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Bits on KH3D, FFXI Vita, Dissidia and More

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This week's Famitsu has a lengthy feature on Square Enix, containing retrospective interviews, and bits and pieces about about the company's upcoming titles. While waiting for our usual full writeup from Sokuho@Hokanko, here's what has surfaced regarding Kingdom Hearts 3D, the Kingdom Hearts series, the Dissidia series, and Final Fantasy XI (yes, that's XI as in not XIV).

Kingdom Hearts 3D

In case you've forgotten in the six months of silence, the three Ds in the 3DS Kingdom Hearts name stand for Dream Drop Distance. Development is currently 40 to 50% complete, Nomura told Famitsu this week. He also confirmed the inclusion of a secret movie.

Sora will be around in future Kingdom Hearts, so why does he look so cross?

Nomura dropped a bunch of vague hints about the game. Here's the vaguest: "XXX and XXX in Traverse Town!" This is apparently supposed to be surprising, so see if you can fill in the XXXs with surprising elements.

The game's story is enigmatic and quite puzzling, said Nomura The story will touch upon the hidden data in Sora.

Just one little gameplay bit: you'll apparently be able to work your way up to the rooftops.

Future of Kingdom Hearts

Regarding the future of the Kingdom Hearts series, Nomura said that those who are anticipating Kingdom Hearts III will find some answers in KH3D.

The Xehanort part of the Kingdom Hearts saga will end with KHIII, he said. He currently has a framework of some form in place for the continuation of the series after that, and Sora will remain as main character.

Regarding possible HD remakes of past titles, Nomura would only say that, separate from whether or not they will release remakes, they're looking into HD techology tests for past titles. (I'm not sure if this question and response is about Kingdom Hearts or just in general.)

The Future of Dissidia Final Fantasy

Back when Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy was about to see release, Nomura told Dengeki that if they made a future Dissidia game it would not be a fighting-based game (see this story). Famitsu asked Nomura this week if he was talking about the 3DS rhythm game Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. The answer is no -- he was referring to something else.

Final Fantasy XI

As part of the general Square Enix feature, Famitsu interviewed Final Fantasy XI producer (?) Hiromichi Tanaka. Tanaka said that they're investigating a straight port of Final Fantasy XI to the PlayStation Vita, but there's no solid plan for this at present.

Famitsu also asked Tanaka what he'd do if he were Square Enix CEO. He'd revive the company trips, he said, and invest in employee wellbeing.

Who's Your Favorite Square Enix Creator?

Famitsu.com hosted a survey asking readers to name the Square Enix creator they're most looking forward to. The results were posted in this week's issue.

And the top three winners are:

Tetsuya Nomura: 321 votes
Akitoshi Kawazu: 235 Votes
Yuji Horii: 217 Votes

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/13/famitsu_squenix_feature/

Jonnyram

As part of the general Square Enix feature, Famitsu interviewed Final Fantasy XI producer (?) Hiromichi Tanaka. Tanaka said that they're investigating a straight port of Final Fantasy XI to the PlayStation Vita, but there's no solid plan for this at present.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Famitsu also asked Tanaka what he'd do if he were Square Enix CEO. He'd revive the company trips, he said, and invest in employee wellbeing.
I take it not all is well in the land of Square Enix employee happiness.

neptunes

Square you're THAT desperate to boost FF11 sales aren't you?

You had (how many years now?) to create your own Monster Hunter clone but instead you choose to port FF11 to a handheld?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No real point to FFXI being put on any other systems. Long as they continue to support the PS2, they can't really go anywhere else with the game.

And PC has windower.

Truth101

Banned
neptunes said:
Square you're THAT desperate to boost FF11 sales aren't you?

You had (how many years now?) to create your own Monster Hunter clones and finally decide to port FF11 to a handheld?

???

FF11 has been incredibly successful. Think about what you are saying first, or I should say typing.

MightyKAC

Hmm... Weird. I would have thought they would do ff14 instead but from what I hear about that game that might not be a good idea either...

Luigi87

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 all this past week, so reading the details regarding KH3D (and the previous trailer showcasing all that parkour action), one can imagine where my mind is at.

NeededSleep

outunderthestars said:
Was XXI the MMO?

FFXI was the mmo yes.
Interesting concept i cant see such a slow paced mmo doing good on a portable.
I loved ff11, i would love an off line version with faster paced battles and npc companions. but yeah. not gonna happen.

odhiex

Final Fantasy XI

And they are still in Pre-planning and Pre-talks?? LOL

Seda

The Xehanort part of the Kingdom Hearts saga will end with KHIII, he said. He currently has a framework of some form in place for the continuation of the series after that, and Sora will remain as main character.

Was hoping that any Kingdom Hearts after 3 would be a reboot of sorts, different characters in the same universe. But we gotta get KH3 first.

Woah! Final Fantasy XI on Vita? Will they modify the game into a single player experience? Will we need the 3G version to play it (since its on a handheld)?

Truth101

Banned
I remember something being said that KH3D would have been called KH3 if Nomura was the one heading the project, or am I just remembering wrong?

neptunes

Truth101 said:
???

FF11 has been incredibly successful. Think about what you are saying first, or I should say typing.
What is the current subscription rate? I remember it being sub 400K a year (or two) ago.

And that's not even account the actual active players.

RPGCrazied

Kingdom Hearts HD collection! Where do I sign up? I fucking hate SE teasing us like this. Kitase was like "If there is demand, we would seriously look into a Final Fantasy HD collection." Um, didn't past FF titles sell millions per title? Isn't that demand enough?

angelfly

XI continues to do well so it makes sense especially with the 3G Vita being available.

MightyKAC said:
Hmm... Weird. I would have thought they would do ff14 instead but from what I hear about that game that might not be a good idea either...
They'd be better off just forgetting 14 existed since they just can't seem to get it right.

Truth101

Banned
neptunes said:
What is the current subscription rate?

Mmo's die off, that doesn't mean it hasn't been successful. There's only so much to be done to increase install base and encourage new players to subscribe.

Don't bring up WoW, different beast altogether.

Slime

Banned
If they streamlined the experience a bit and dropped the monthly fee, I might bite. But they won't, especially not for the latter, since it's basically serving the purpose of bringing in money that FFXIV isn't.

Weirdly interesting choice, though. I assume this is mainly because they think it'll make a decent splash in Japan with the Monster Hunter market.

Mileena

Banned

Goodbye life.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
neptunes said:
What is the current subscription rate? I remember it being sub 400K a year (or two) ago.

And that's not even account the actual active players.

I think Square announced FFXI profitability before the game was even released in the USA

Luigiv

FFXI on a handheld is a terrible idea. How are you suppose to fight the end game bosses on a <6 battery life?

NeededSleep

Kandinsky said:
Tanaka is lucky to still have a job at SE lol

He is very similar to Milton from Office Space. They keep pushing him into the corner and he will burn the company down...

oh wait ff14

So just more vague hints in what might come in the future? Awesome.

More Kingdom Hearts is good, as well as HD remakes. Any HD remakes would be good.

With KH3D being nearly halfway done, they might as well just make the Osaka team the main KH team, since the other one was sentenced to Versus development.

Truth101

Banned
Lesiroth said:
I don't care what you guys say, FFXI on Vita is a day-one purchase(subscription) for me!

The interface on FFXI is awful, can't imagine how bad it would be on the tiny Vita screen.

Teknoman

Truth101 said:
The interface on FFXI is awful, can't imagine how bad it would be on the tiny Vita screen.

Works just fine with a controller though. That being said, another remake or brand new title would probably be better for Vita. Like a X portable or something.

I cant think of a better HD collection that would be worth $60 then a FFX, X-2, XII collection.

ps3 and vita and add Transfarring!!!!!!

edit... wait.... FFXI???

Square enix why dont you like money?

Top Bottom