• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Bits on KH3D, FFXI Vita, Dissidia and More

george_us said:
Give me FFXII International instead plz.
SE hasn't figured out if people want to play remastered ps2 games yet.

Which is strange since they are the pioneers of selling old games in a fresh coat of paint.

Kyoufu said:
They could just implement touch controls with the on-screen keyboard already in the game.

That still means filling your screen with said keyboard, blocking out the action/goings on/other people's typing.
It's still akward (and still much slower).

All I'm saying is I can't imagine having to deal with such a terrible limitation in these kinds of games.
Or understand why anyone would want to, when there are so so so many mmos out there (all of them) where you don't have to deal with it.

What's next? porting starcraft 2 to vita?

Gravijah

SneakyStephan said:
That still means filling your screen with said keyboard, blocking out the action/goings on/other people's typing.
It's still akward (and still much slower).

All I'm saying is I can't imagine having to deal with such a terrible limitation in these kinds of games.
Or understand why anyone would want to, when there are so so so many mmos out there (all of them) where you don't have to deal with it.

What's next? porting starcraft 2 to vita?

There are console versions of FFXI already, and it was made with the PS2 in mind.

Vinci

Danish
neptunes said:
What is the current subscription rate? I remember it being sub 400K a year (or two) ago.

And that's not even account the actual active players.

S-E has likely made more money on FF XI than they have any other production, with the possible exception of FF VII and all its spin-offs, merchandise, etc. Besides, porting it to another platform will probably cost pennies compared to coming up with a Monster Hunter killer - given they could create one at all.

Gravijah said:
There are console versions of FFXI already, and it was made with the PS2 in mind.

It plays fine on a SD TV, I had the PS2 version of FFXI, though I quit shorty after Aht Urgan came out.

My bigger concern is a keyboard. The bluetooth keyboard linked is fine for short messages but for actual conversations... it doesn't work so well.

Oh, FFXI gets updated regularly so I have no idea how that would work on a handheld.

Macstorm

Maybe by "straight port of Final Fantasy XI" he really meant "a brand new, single player version of Final Fantasy XI designed specifically for Vita using the existing world, races, classes, and lore." Maybe? :(

weeaboo said:

In recent survey, whose results were posted in a Square Enix feature in this week's issue, the magazine asked readers of Famitsu.com to name the platform they want to see the next KH game on.

Here are the results. Multiple votes were allowed.

1. PS3 (2,030 votes)
2. PSP (1,010)
3. PS Vita (990)
4. 3DS (440)
5. Wii U (270)

Well... a Vita version is possible. I doubt we'll ever see a PS3 KH. At least not a new game in the series.

Gravijah

SolidSnakex said:
Well... a Vita version is possible. I doubt we'll ever see a PS3 KH. At least not a new game in the series.

Has Birth by Sleep been announced yet for the PSP PS3 HD thingers whatever the hell they are called?

It's np, the back touchpad will be completely mapped as a keyboard so you can type upside down, backwards, and blind!

Does Vita do bluetooth? Could just lug around with a PS bluetooth mini keyboard. I'm suppose I'm not going to be carrying around my Vita without a case anyway.

Gravijah said:
Has Birth by Sleep been announced yet for the PSP PS3 HD thingers whatever the hell they are called?
I know they are investigating with Type-0. BBS remaster would be great since it would force a PSN release.

Gravijah said:

They haven't announced any HD version of a PS2 or PSP game. It's easy money for them, so it doesn't really make sense that it's taking them so long to jump on the program.

Deku

Banned
Full fledged FFXI vita game doesn't make too much sense.

It'll make more sense to HDize it and get their base to shell out $50 for it on the current and next gen systems.

They also have more stable installed base to play with, whereas there is 0 Vita out on the market.

Using a ten year old MMO with inelastic demand as a key title for a portable makes no sense, and the quote seems to be just Tanaka musing about where to take FFXI after XIV failed, which is to move it forward (this is good news for us players) instead of abandoning it.

SolidSnakex said:
They haven't announced any HD version of a PS2 or PSP game. It's easy money for them, so it doesn't really make sense that it's taking them so long to jump on the program.
Sony has made the freaking tools to port ps2/psp games to ps3/vita. And SE is still just sitting around going "ahh, w-w-well, I, I don't know about that...we'll see I guess".

Gravijah said:

ps2 fully supported keyboard/mouse.
I know I used a keyboard and mouse to play half life on my ps2, felt right at home.
So I assume those buying it would hook up a keyboard for typing.
Else the 'why on earth would you deal with such a limitation' still stands.

Back then I could understand for the novelty value and being happy to deal with all kinds of inconvenience (lol halo CE on xbox multiplayer through p2p, and crude homebrew tools just because we could) when I was in my teens, but there really is no point nowadays as an adult to put up with any of that.

Who is going to go 'look dude I'm actually playing an mmo on my console!!' in 2011.

although ffxi vita doesnt really make sense to me, if it worked, I'd probably come back to the game. Hell, I'd probably come back to the game now if I could find my damn token.

Spiegel

Back when Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy was about to see release, Nomura told Dengeki that if they made a future Dissidia game it would not be a fighting-based game (see this story). Famitsu asked Nomura this week if he was talking about the 3DS rhythm game Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. The answer is no -- he was referring to something else.

Thank god

I want a Dissidia ARPG.

Gravijah

SneakyStephan said:
ps2 fully supported keyboard/mouse.
I know I used a keyboard and mouse to play half life on my ps2, felt right at home.
So I assume those buying it would hook up a keyboard for typing.
Else the 'why on earth would you deal with such a limitation' still stands.

Back then I could understand for the novelty value and being happy to deal with all kinds of inconvenience (lol halo CE on xbox multiplayer through p2p, and crude homebrew tools just because we could) when I was in my teens, but there really is no point nowadays as an adult to put up with any of that.

Who is going to go 'look dude I'm actually playing an mmo on my console!!' in 2011.

Have you played FFXI?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The conversation in the secret video from Re:Coded pretty much set the stage for KH3 (
I lol'd irl when they talked about Xehanort becoming whole again. I guess everyone is coming back for the third entry considering the rest of the talk + the stuff with Sora's "third party" memories
). I wonder if 3D will cover
their mastery training with Yensid
or something in that vein.

miladesn said:
this is kinda OT but anyway.
this is the official type-0 development blog, each entry has it's own moogle in a different outfit. as you can see here http://blog.jp.square-enix.com/reishiki/

I changed numbers in the link to those moogle images and there are 13 of them! (5 of which are already on the blog at the moment) ha.

moogle68fv.png
These are great, haha.

Gravijah said:
Have you played FFXI?

I'm not talking about gameplay working on a pad or not, but community.
If you can't properly communicate through anything other than setting up macros for basic phrases (what most ffXI players did on ps2) and slow typing, then why play an mmo at all.

Don't pretend ffXI on ps2 was anything other than novelty value.
There is a reason why phantasy star and ffXI are the only real attempts at it, and why it ended there.
Mmo's are plenty popular, they would be on a console too if they could offer the same things as with a keyboard.

An mmo where typing is a chore is always going to be an asocial empty dull place.

Allard

SneakyStephan said:
I'm not talking about gameplay working on a pad or not, but community.
If you can't properly communicate through anything other than setting up macros for basic phrases (what most ffXI players did on ps2) and slow typing, then why play an mmo at all.

Don't pretend ffXI on ps2 was anything other than novelty value.
There is a reason why phantasy star and ffXI are the only real attempts at it, and why it ended there.
Mmo's are plenty popular, they would be on a console too if they could offer the same things as with a keyboard.

An mmo where typing is a chore is always going to be an asocial empty dull place.

Then people are free to play it on the PC if they so chose. The idea of being able to play the MMORPG you like, on the go, anywhere you want even if the 'social' nature is a bit gimped is something I actually want for FFXI. I am constantly on the go, can't always bring my laptop with me and sometimes I just want to jump on and do a quick 30-50 minute leveling session solo when i'm somewhere I can't just lumber around a laptop (For instance at the airport or an office waiting for an appointment). The recent updates have made it possible to reliably cap a character solo at a decent pace. There is nothing in this game that absolutely requires a ton of social interaction, especially if you setup macros ahead of time to mention key phrases you expect your character to run through. If you need to chat, you can pull up a touch screen keyboard more then likely anyways. Just set things to auto-follow and chat away. Will it be cumber some? Yes, but it comes with the territory of playing it in a very mobile fashion anyways.

The only bad thing about this potential announcement is it gives me a reason to buy the damn 3G wireless version of the Vita... the game was made to work on a 56k modem for god sakes its probably the only MMO that could reliably be played on a 3G antenna.

SykoTech

SolidSnakex said:

Even portable land wants to see Kingdom Hearts on the PS3 already. Come on, Square. A Vita KH game will probably come well before it though...

And I think KHIII should have been the last of the Sora arc, especially after they went overboard with the "Sora is everyone" thing in the handheld spin-offs. But oh well. Sora's decent enough I guess.

Verendus

Banned
You know what would be really cool? If they made all the Kingdom Hearts games available on one console at some stage. This whole business of having one game on the DS, another on the PSP, now another on the 3DS is kind of messed up. What I'm essentially saying is to release these on PSN/XBL or all on one handheld. Okay, thanks.

jiggle

communication won't be a problem because
there's always the option of using voice chat for XI
ppl use that in the game already

Aeana

The Vita has a capacitive touch screen. Why would communicating be a chore? I'm typing this post on my phone right now with no issues.

Takao

Banned
Spiegel said:
Thank god

I want a Dissidia ARPG.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Pugna od Ηθοποιοί

Translators Note: That means "Fight of the Stars" in various languages combined.

BDGAME

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance-1.jpg

A writer for Famitsu magazine spent time with a demo of Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance and now we have some new details about the game. From the demo we learn that the main character, either Sora or Riku, is now fighting alongside two completely new allies. This means that those who have wanted someone other than Donald and Goofy in the story will finally get their wish. The demo also revealed that there would be a new type of enemy in the game that are neither Heartless nor Nobodies. And finally, the person from Famitsu noted that the fights are more impressive than ever, with lighting effects surpassing those of previous games and movements more stylish than ever.

source: http://nintendo3dsblog.com/page/2

I liked the impressions of those guys. New allies? I wonder who it was. In the PSP they can't put two allies along with the principal, except in moments with enemies reduced and limited scenarios. And the visuals, using the 3DS shaders, can be done something more beautiful than the KH2. I want to see more of this new KH.

DaBuddaDa

bullet_happy said:
Because XI is a MMORPG and the most succesful one in Japan.
FFXI also has a strong connection to the PS2 in Japan, lots of players even today are playing on the PS2. Putting it on Vita makes perfect sense as a next step. They can tell players "Now you can play your FFXI character on the go with the exact same (if not more) functionality as you do on the PS2!" It also incentives getting the more expensive 3G Vita model.

theBishop

Banned
Macstorm said:
Maybe by "straight port of Final Fantasy XI" he really meant "a brand new, single player version of Final Fantasy XI designed specifically for Vita using the existing world, races, classes, and lore." Maybe? :(

I wish more MMO developers did this after the game is effectively finished. Blizzard could probably make 10 really good standalone RPGs simply recycling WoW assets. Write a new narrative, "film" it with in-engine cutscenes, and tweak the hardest bosses so they're managable in single player. Hell, most subscribers never see that content.

theBishop said:
Hasn't it been undergoing extensive reconstructive surgery? Last I read Square was determined to make this game a success on PS3.

Yeah, they're sinking a lot of money in it to "fix it". Which is, of course, stupid.
The game is already dead. No one is going to want to go back. Just focus on fixing your singleplayer games, Square.

SykoTech

BDGAME said:
there would be a new type of enemy in the game that are neither Heartless nor Nobodies.

I guess that's to be expected. This is suppose to be leading up to KHIII, so I guess they're introducing what could be the main antagonists of that game just like how Chain of Memories introduced the Organization/Nobodies.

Birth by Sleep was probably the best KH yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the team tries to push things forward. I'll likely wait and buy a 3DS once it's out.

daffy

Banned
AceBandage said:
Yeah, they're sinking a lot of money in it to "fix it". Which is, of course, stupid.
The game is already dead. No one is going to want to go back. Just focus on fixing your singleplayer games, Square.
PS3 players haven't been there yet though. A sort of FFXIV-2 with everything fixed could be a good move.

DR2K

Banned
I don't understand why KH is being regulated to handhelds, It's a series that typically does better in the west. At least KH1 and 2 did. BBS was amazing, but the DS ones were shit.

SykoTech

DR2K said:
I don't understand why KH is being regulated to handhelds, It's a series that typically does better in the west. At least KH1 and 2 did. BBS was amazing, but the DS ones were shit.

Versus is holding up KHIII, though I have no idea why they don't put out a different KH game on consoles to fill the void. Then again, Square does a lot of things that stump me.

And yes, the previous DS games were garbage. But 3D is being made by the BBS team. I think it should be good.

carlo6529

I would probably bite on a Psvita and ffxi, but they would have to change so much. They are talking about a straight port, but that just isn't possible. A lot of things would have to be changed inorder for the game to work on a portable.

Also, as a personal thing, they would have to get rid of the monthly subscription fees inorder for me to play.

Top Bottom