• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 (In A Limited Feature Set Is) Now Free to Play

bluemax

Banned
StarCraft 2: The First Hit's free edition

TeamLiquid.Net said:
AVAILABLED
* replay watching at any version
* first 3 missions at Mar Sara
* 4th mission: Tychus Findlay or doctor Hanson
* some challenges
* 4 multiplayer maps:
--- Xel'Naga Caverns
--- Discord IV
--- High Orbit
--- The Shattered Temple
* some custom maps
* playable race - Terrans
* map editor
* ANY region availabled. Just register you account and download client (small message under button about client lanuage is allowed)

NOT AVAILABLE
* ranked games
* 99% of custom maps
* all other melee maps, that are not marked by blue star
* map publishing
* chat channels
* Protoss and Zerg

Embrace the future!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, looks like I'm getting into StarCraft

Although limiting the races we can play as is a good/bad way of making us buy the full thing :(

Milabrega

Oh wow the option to pick your own region, but I didn't think that was possible with the way they set up bnet.2 to "improve" the experience.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So awesome.
Ill try it this weekend.

(Its a demo really)

Zen

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, looks like I'm getting into StarCraft

Although limiting the races we can play as is a good/bad way of making us buy the full thing :(

This actually seems almost exactly like the old StarCraft original demo that they released back in the day. It had a precursor terran mini campaign. For the multiplayer you could only do 1v1 with terran and had like 1 or 2 maps.

kennah

Damn, was hoping it had the whole single player campaign. I only want to play it for the story, not the multi.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
maniac-kun said:
What? Why are they doing that?
This actually isn't a terrible guess, though I'd say it's caused more by Activision Blizzard as a whole than just WoW:

Interfectum said:
Damage control for the upcoming conference call? Can't wait to hear what the WoW subs are at now.

jediyoshi

Why would you do that? said:
How big is the download? It doesn't seem to report the file size when I start the download...

Only a few megs for the downloader itself. The actual client is listed at 6.99 GB

rmt92

This is exactly what I need to try and get into the game. Start the download now and it'll be done by the time I get back form work :D

fernoca

jediyoshi said:
I was just thinking about that, but they do have a P2P option in the downloader which is on by default.
Yeah. Disabled it and went to 16...then 28 hours. Guess I'll wait a few days, not like I'm dying to play it now. Just want to see if my computer runs it even at the minimum settings.

Sora

Can you actually play online multiplayer games on those maps metioned or it's another type of multiplayer like LAN (I may be wrong, but as I remember SC2 doesn't support LAN)?

Zzoram

Sora said:
Can you actually play online multiplayer games on those maps metioned or it's another type of multiplayer like LAN (I may be wrong, but as I remember SC2 doesn't support LAN)?

It's online multiplayer, but probably only against other demo players, and everyone will be Terran, with a limited map pool.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NOT AVAILABLE
* Protoss and Zerg
Oh my GOD, terran will invade us more than ever now (when they finally decide to buy the game).

Silex

Zzoram said:
It's online multiplayer, but probably only against other demo players, and everyone will be Terran, with a limited map pool.

No, you can actually play custom games with people who own the full version too.
Full details here:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/3250656#blog

Great move by Blizzard, you don't see a lot of games who offer such a big part of their multiplayer component for free in demos.

ultron87

Silex said:
No, you can actually play custom games with people who own the full version too.
Full details here:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/3250656#blog

Great move by Blizzard, you don't see a lot of games who offer such a big part of their multiplayer component for free in demos.

Oh wow, even better.

Anyone interested in Starcraft should download this and join SC2-GAF for GAF-Night tonight on the NA server at ~9 EST.

erragal

Best part to me: the map editor is free. I'm more interested in that than actually playing SC2. I can see if it's as good as everyone says without having to commit on paying unless I want to use the publishing features.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
shareware's coming back to usher in a whole new generation of 5 raxing a-move goons.

Top Bottom