• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 (In A Limited Feature Set Is) Now Free to Play

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The term "Free to Play" is starting to be rampantly abused.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm conference? Will we get any new info about HotS, D3 or WoW or just the typical boring stuff?

Interfectum

Yoshichan said:
Hmm conference? Will we get any new info about HotS, D3 or WoW or just the typical boring stuff?

I'm guessing boring stuff, with nuggets of new info (WoW expansion to be announced at Blizzcon) and some damage control.

MAtgS

Man what timing, I'm getting a new laptop in 2 days. With this I feel more confident on spending the whole budget on the machine itself & not getting new games till later.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Orcastar said:
Free to play my ass. I'll give it a whirl though, just to see if my crappy laptop can run it properly.
Perfect. Enjoy getting addicted ♥

LakeEarth

Just to be clear, someone with a full version can play the demo version friends as long as it's those particular maps, right?

Zzoram

LakeEarth said:
Just to be clear, someone with a full version can play the demo version friends as long as it's those particular maps, right?

Supposedly yes. It's still very feature-limited though, you can't use matchmaking.

Thoraxes

Yeah, it's probably damage control for WoW subs.
A ton of people have quit... Which is what happens when you release no new (as in brand spanking new) content for almost 7 months and keep only the same 3 raids.

Hopefully they'll have learned their lesson and they'll push it faster next time.

Anywho, not to go off-rails, i'm going to download the game. I've been wanting to play for a while, and $60 is just too steep for me. I was just going to wait until it dropped down to $40 in a sale, but this is fine too.

mxgt

Banned
Seems like a good move to get more people in to the game. It's awesome.

Too bad you're stuck with shitty Terran!

xbhaskarx said:
Not the full game... So it's basically a demo?
Second post nails it.

Has it really come to people not knowing what a demo looks like?
If I call my cat a dragon, it's still a cat.

AppleMIX said:
Oh come on, this has way more content than a demo.
I suggest you try the dawn of war II demo.

You can't demo an rts based on one tutorial mission.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
AppleMIX said:
It's still a demo, if it were Free 2 Play then you would be able to unlock other parts.

Pirabear

Banned
Had the game since launch but barely play it cause I get annihilated most of the time. Facing the new F2Pers will be a nice self esteem boost.

;_;

Kyaw

So, all the community/online focused games coming out in the near future are going to be free to play?

I think i can get used to this trend.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Maybe this is a good way for P/Z players to pick up Terran without screwing with their ladder points.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
cool. hope my pc can handle it, if it can, i will probably buy it. was there a "regular" demo before?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
DR3AM said:
cool. hope my pc can handle it, if it can, i will probably buy it. was there a "regular" demo before?
There was a timed 7hr demo card that came with the retail game. Think that's about it.

MysticX

it´s not free to play, it´s shareware all over again, but I like that idea

but dónt call it f2p when it isn´t

Zzoram

TxdoHawk said:
So can you just pay for an unlock key after getting this, if you decide to?

If it's the same client but the free versions just get a starter account, then theoretically unlocking the full game on your Battle.net account should let you log into the full version.

However, if the client is different, you'd need to install the full client. I'm not sure what they're doing right now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AppleMIX said:

Release Huge Demo

Call it Free 2 Play.

Happy, now?

Zzoram said:
If it's the same client but the free versions just get a starter account, then theoretically unlocking the full game on your Battle.net account should let you log into the full version.

However, if the client is different, you'd need to install the full client. I'm not sure what they're doing right now.

This is my biggest question, I want to download this 'demo' and I'm hoping I can just 'unlock' the full game from there.

Helmholtz

With most of the campaign being locked, and ranked play being locked, this is really more of a demo and less sc2 going f2p.
It's better than most demos though, that's for sure.

KKRT00

I would pay 5-10$ for Zerg+Protoss upgrade. I'm not interested in full game, but i would like from time to time to play with a friend online.

Well looks like "magical" region free technology has arrived at least!

Now enable region gateways for CUSTOM games. No one is asking for ladder because yes there will be lag.

Kamaki

I'm actually pretty happy with this, yeah I know it's just a largish demo for the game but it's nice that they let me at least try out the multiplayer.

It's funny actually as I was thinking about buying this yesterday, playing some single player was enough to convince me to actually get it. I'm sure the moment I jump online I'll get destroyed though.

Top Bottom