• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - |OT2| Too Cold for Leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

H0Bfu.jpg

Tracklist:
Quote:
1." Intro"
2. "Dollar and a Dream III"
3. "Can't Get Enough"" (featuring Trey Songz)
4. "Lights Please"
5. "Interlude"
6. "Sideline Story"
7. "Mr. Nice Watch" (featuring Jay-Z)
8. "Cole World"
9. "In the Morning" (featuring Drake)
10. "Lost Ones"
11. "Nobody's Perfect" (featuring Missy Elliott)
12. "Never Told"
13. "Rise and Shine"
14. "God's Gift"
15. "Breakdown"

Bonus Tracks:
17. "Work Out"
18. "Who Dat"
19. "Daddy's Little Girl"
One of the most anticipated Hip-Hop releases of the year. Cole is doing the vast majority of the production on his album.

How about we try this again? The album comes out tomorrow. All discussion about the album, and about Cole should probably go in here.
J-Cole-Cover-Story-Lead.gif

Cudder

Buying. Not because the album is great, but because the man has released too much awesome free music I feel like I need to give him my money now.

Does it release on iTunes at midnight?

jtb

Banned
I'm probably really late to this - but I just noticed the cross imagery on the album cover the other day... a bit heavy handed for my tastes (if it's even intentional, and its a shitty enough cover that it might not be), but hey... that's Cole for you, I guess.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's a solid album. And I'm surprised at that because everything he released Post-FNL was boring. This album is really good though. I'll buy it because it has some songs that are awesome and J. Cole impressed me by not filling his album with mainstream sounding songs.

I would implore people to buy this album if you've downloaded already and liked it. Cole deserves support for not only releasing so much free music, but also for fighting so hard to release this album on his terms: without selling out or turning his back on the fans that supported him throughout this journey. The album isn't perfect and has some meh pop rap attempts, but after seeing what happened to a host of other indie-to-major-label rookie rappers over the last two years, this album is a godsend. It's a cohesive, impressive debut album.

edit: Cheer Up is on the retail version?

shamanick

J Cole is fantastic, and I'm stoked for this album. I know it's minor, but I can't stand that stupid logo with the devil horns and the halo. Shit is so dumb.

standouts: Dollar and a Dream 3, Sideline Story, Rise and Shine, God's Gift, Breakdown

pretty good album but it loses steam between dollar and a dream and rise and shine.

will buy of course since he's put out so much free shit for us. Give back.

lol@cover "I graduated too long ago to be sneaking in your dorm rooms" and yet you sneak into their locker rooms.

Hopefully ROC drops this athlete persona after this album.

PhoenixDark said:
I would implore people to buy this album if you've downloaded already and liked it. Cole deserves support for not only releasing so much free music, but also for fighting so hard to release this album on his terms: without selling out or turning his back on the fans that supported him throughout this journey. The album isn't perfect and has some meh pop rap attempts, but after seeing what happened to a host of other indie-to-major-label rookie rappers over the last two years, this album is a godsend. It's a cohesive, impressive debut album.

edit: Cheer Up is on the retail version?

don't like cheer up?

overcast

Well said Phoenix. I am buying it for that very reason. I listened to it once, decided to wait for the release to spin the hell out of it.

polyh3dron said:
wow, some people don't read teh rulez

And they ignore the rules and start bitching when people tell them to cut out the begging. Fuckers.

hmm..

Nothing Lasts Forever >> Who Dat and Work out

Cudder

My album highlights:

Dollar and a Dream III
Cole World
Lost Ones
God's Gift

I think God's Gift is my fav off the album. And damn the tracklisting for this has changed so many times. Even the albums wiki has the wrong tracks listed.

SUPREME1

Banned
the walrus said:
I'm probably really late to this - but I just noticed the cross imagery on the album cover the other day... a bit heavy handed for my tastes (if it's even intentional, and its a shitty enough cover that it might not be), but hey... that's Cole for you, I guess.

Wow, hadn't noticed it before, but now it stands out like a sore thumb. I don't fuck with rocafella no more these days. Too much blasphemy. These dudes really do believe they are GOD-like. I'll pass.

Thanks on the heads up.

SUPREME1 said:
Wow, hadn't noticed it before, but now it stands out like a sore thumb. I don't fuck with rocafella no more these days. Too much blasphemy. These dudes really do believe they are GOD-like. I'll pass.

Thanks on the heads up.

Word. Those cats who wear crosses and crucifixes need to come off the God complex too.

Nobility

Banned
Buying two copies tomorrow.

Cole World.

Also, he should have kept Nothing Lasts Forever on the track list, great song.

overcast

Best Buy or Target better have it tomorrow. I don't have a car so I'm taking a bus (free with my college ID) to one of those two.

Bishman

cover_J-Cole-460x583.jpg

coleworld4.jpg

How he gained what it takes to make it in the rap game:

I tried out for the basketball team as freshman and I got cut. My cousin played ball and told me to become the team’s manager, get in good with the coach and learn the system. So I swallowed my pride and I became the team’s manager. I figured that I would make the team the next year just because I was the team’s manager. But I got cut the very next year. The average person would have [given] up after getting cut twice. The next summer before my junior year, I played one-on-one with the best player on the team and worked hard on my game. I finally made the team and I was starting my senior year. If it wasn’t for that rejection in basketball, I’m not sure if I would have had what it takes to make it in rap.

On why and how he ever started rapping:

I started rapping out of fun. My cousin was rapping and I thought he was cool. But when I got the Can-I-Bus album in 1998, I knew he was rapping on another level. Nas and OutKast were great rappers and it was hard to do what they were doing lyrically, but I was drawn to Canibus’ punchlines. During that time, freestyle battles were big. So I decided to get wittier with my punch lines and wordplay after hearing that album.

When it comes to hip-hop on a national scale, Fayetteville is relatively unknown. How did you approach being the first major hip-hop artist to represent that city?:

I took pride in being the first artist out of Fayetteville to make it. I made sure that I was shouting out my city with every chance I got. I knew that there weren’t many people coming to my city looking for rappers, but I never felt that people wouldn’t respect me. I just knew that I had to make people pay attention.

That story sounds like your first encounter with Jay-Z. What led to that moment?

I graduated from St. John’s University. At the time, all of my friends got nine-to-five jobs and were making $30,000 to 40,000 per year. I was working at a newspaper in Queens making $8 per hour at a part-time job so that I could still do music at night. I heard that Jay-Z was recording the American Gangster album. That same night, I made two beats and I thought it would be perfect for Jay-Z. I went to the studio where Jay-Z was recording and I waited outside for three hours. His Phantom finally pulled up. I was super timid and shy. I had the CD in my hand and I tried to hand it to Jay-Z. He looked at it and said, ‘What is this? I don’t want that. Give it to one of those other guys.’ It was crushing. That was another moment. But I snapped back to reality. I knew after that, I had to go harder. That type of rejection fuels me. I believe that greatness is fueled by rejection. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team; Jay-Z had trouble getting a record deal before Reasonable Doubt; and no one wanted to sign Kanye West as a rapper.

How did the second meeting with Jay-Z come about?

One year later, Jay-Z heard a song through Mark Pitts. Jay called me for a meeting. It was a three-hour meeting and I played my music [for] him. We talked about President Obama and other things. Five weeks later, he offered me a record deal.

Are there any drawbacks or pressure to being signed to an artist of Jay-Z’s caliber?

There aren’t any drawbacks. It’s great to have someone who has been the most successful rapper in history – to be able to have that guidance is all the advantage I need. Being associated with that name will make people pay attention. I love to get inside perspective from Jay-Z and guys like No I.D.

Beyond music, your name was mentioned by gossip bloggers who reported that you and Rihanna had a sex tape. How did you react when you heard about it?

Gossip is foreign to me. By nature, I don’t like gossip. I never was on the gossip sites. Now being on the other side, it’s annoying. A lot of people don’t know the difference between gossip and reality. They may think that you have a sex tape with Rihanna, or [that] you’re having sex with Solange because of what someone made up. But I guess it’s just something that comes with the territory.

How does Cole World: The Sideline Story reflect who you are as a person?

This album speaks to the type of artist I want to be. I think the album will provide thought provoking lyrics, and heartfelt stories. I want to take listeners on a ride. It shows the type of balance that I want to have as an artist. I want to be at the top of the list when it comes to rap. I want the respect of the hip-hop fans and connoisseurs. I want to be on everybody’s list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom