• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - |OT2| Too Cold for Leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamel

Banned
I don't know why all I hear on the radio these days is "Workout". I hate that song and it's not even on the album.

bqNfz.jpg

Close enough..
Warm Up > Cole World = FNL > Come Up

perfect

Edit: Fucking Warm up though...I listened to it again recently and it really is his best work and its fucking amazing.

In that sense I guess I am slightly disappointed with the album. Given his mixtapes I was expecting Cole to drop a classic. Still, great album, cant wait for whatever's next. He should diversify his content though and go back to doing more stuff that he has on the warm up.

ChanHuk

Banned
perfect

Edit: Fucking Warm up though...I listened to it again recently and it really is his best work and its fucking amazing.

In that sense I guess I am slightly disappointed with the album. Given his mixtapes I was expecting Cole to drop a classic. Still, great album, cant wait for whatever's next. He should diversify his content though and go back to doing more stuff that he has on the warm up.

The Warm Up material wouldn't sell. J. Cole suffers from the same fate as Lupe Fiasco, has to become mainstream to appease the record labels.

EDIT: Yes, I know Lights Please (this track got me started listening to Cole) is in Cole World.

Ashhong

The Warm Up material wouldn't sell. J. Cole suffers from the same fate as Lupe Fiasco, has to become mainstream to appease the record labels.

EDIT: Yes, I know Lights Please (this track got me started listening to Cole) is in Cole World.

Food & Liquor and The Cool were amazing albums. I would put them above FNL.

Not really sure what the point of my post is though. Seems like Cole found a nice medium that allows him to put out quality and sell records.

overcast

I agree 100%. It's in my top 5 of the year, but not a classic like Warm Up. Fuck me, that tape is too good.

Content wise CW doesn't really differ from anything else that I could pick up off a shelf. Also the running 'this is how I made' theme pissed me off. I thought he got that out his system with The Warm Up where he only mentioned it in passing and FNL where it was barely mentioned at all. I was expecting him to be like "This is what I'm about. This is the kind of shit you can expect from me." That's what a debut is supposed to be. He presented himself much better on his mixtapes.

Also he mentioned how he was holding back tracks from FNL because they were (paraphrasing) "too good for the mixtape". I dunno, I didn't have the highest expectations. Just on par or a little bit better than his previous work would have been enough for me and he didn't deliver on that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom