• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - |OT2| Too Cold for Leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
spindashing said:
What's wrong with American Gangster? It's Jay-Z's best album post retirement comeback. I can definitely get behind disliking Blueprint 3 and Kingdom Come, though.

That's not saying much.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:
What's wrong with American Gangster? It's Jay-Z's best album post retirement comeback. I can definitely get behind disliking Blueprint 3 and Kingdom Come, though.

Its not bad, but calling it a classic is the dumbest thing ive read today.

Edit: I take that back, that Pitchfork review was the dumbest thing ive read today.

RJT

ReconYoda said:
WTT is barely better than Kingdom Come/BP3/AG. And all of those are hot garbage. So whats marginally better than hot garbage,WTT.

Metacritic score:
75 Watch the Throne
65 The Blueprint 3
83 American Gangster
67 Kingdom Come
84 The Black Album
64 The Blueprint 2: The Gift & the Curse
88 The Blueprint

Go listen to American Gangster again, man. It's a great album, you probably didn't pay attention (classic may be stretching it a bit, but for me on the same level as The Black Album).

American Gangster is a good album, all his other recent stuff (including WTT) is pretty mediocre.

N****s in Paris is a fun track though, and lol at people thinking Kanye wrecked Jay Z on that song (he's gotta kill that stupid thing he does where he stretches every word, it's more played out than Eminem's weird accent)

So Appalled > WTT. They clearly put more time in the former song than they did in the latter album

edit: lol this thread got hijacked by kanye and jay z. fun fact: I know somebody who swears by pitchfork as a music bible. Listens to whatever they post up and recommend...smh

Recon

Banned
RJT said:
Metacritic score:
75 Watch the Throne
65 The Blueprint 3
83 American Gangster
67 Kingdom Come
84 The Black Album
64 The Blueprint 2: The Gift & the Curse
88 The Blueprint

Go listen to American Gangster again, man. It's a great album, you probably didn't pay attention.

Ill check it out again, but its definitely not a classic. Jay made 1 classic, 2 great albums, and a bunch of mediocre albums. I know AG doesnt touch Reasonable Doubt, and The Black Album and BP1 were much better album than AG. Ill revisit AG this weekend, but i highly doubt i can place it with those other albums.

RJT

ReconYoda said:
Ill check it out again, but its definitely not a classic. Jay made 1 classic, 2 great albums, and a bunch of mediocre albums. I know AG doesnt touch Reasonable Doubt, and The Black Album and BP1 were much better album than AG. Ill revisit AG this weekend, but i highly doubt i can place it with those other albums.
OK, not classic, just great.

Fallin (Goodfellas in song format)
Pray

as i head towards my home room
I observe the rooms
though needles on the ground
I hear a car go vrooom
drug dealer in the BM
with the top down
as the girls start to giggle
I ask why you laugh
they say "you too little"
one day you'll understand
when you become a man
'bout things you have to get you
fast forward freeze frame on my pistol
fist full of dollars ignorance is so blissful

No Hook (best double entendre in a song title ever)

Recon

Banned
RJT said:
OK, not classic, just great.

Fallin (Goodfellas in song format)
Pray

No Hook (best double entendre in a song title ever)

I hear a Car go vroom"....? At least i know where Cole got his inspiration for his lamest line "im the shit, these rappers cant out fart me"

I did forget about pray, other than that Vroom line, its pretty dope.

RJT

ReconYoda said:
I hear a Car go vroom"....? At least i know where Cole got his inspiration for his lamest line "im the shit, these rappers cant out fart me"

I did forget about pray, other than that Vroom line, its pretty dope.
Pray is the only good Jay-Z song that feature Beyonce.

(the vroom line looks bad when you read it, but since the song uses a lot of sound effects, it actually works in the context...)

Recon

Banned
RJT said:
Pray is the only good Jay-Z song that feature Beyonce.

(the vroom line looks bad when you read it, but since the song uses a lot of sound effects, it actually works in the context...)

It doesnt, at least not for me, i just listened to it again, kinda cringe worthy, but the rest of the song is good. And yeah, beyonce is usually bad news for a Jay song(Lift Off...ughh).

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:
I didn't even know Jay rapped on Lift Off. I still never sat through one full listen of that track. :lol

You are better off not hearing it, Lil B's verse on that Wayne tape was better...seriously.

Anduron

Lift off is no worse than All of the lights and the biggest problem with Cole's album is diversity. There are five or six songs that'll I'll never learn the name of because they sound so similar.

ReconYoda said:
Its not fair that he made that shit and put it in a song.

But I can almost guarantee that we will hear that song at the start of most sporting events on TV. It's fucking made for it...like the show goes on was but bigger.

I will say I like the beat but like H.A.M someone else should have been on it...or they should have tried to actually write something not shit.

Kusagari

Francinium said:
Lift off is no worse than All of the lights and the biggest problem with Cole's album is diversity. There are five or six songs that'll I'll never learn the name of because they sound so similar.

kanyesmile.gif

Recon

Banned
Francinium said:

The worst thing about All of the Lights was fergie. The worst thing about Lift Off is that it exists. When you have a song thats worse than Fergie rapping..then you tried very hard to fuck up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LOZLINK said:
Are we still in the J Cole thread?
9162430.jpg

Also, from the WTT thread while I was digging that up:

The M.O.B said:
Pitchfork gave College Dropout a 8.2..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Yes, let us never mention Pitchfork again, thanks.

overcast

Pitchfork also gave FNL a 7.3 and Thank Me Later an 8.4. They were never rap enthusiasts, so they are the last place I go to for Hip-hop reviews. They are popular though.

The result is like glutinous paste that results from mashing together Drake, Kanye, and Big K.R.I.T. and straining out what makes them interesting.
Lol.

Recon

Banned
hyduK said:
Yeah, Jay did kill Cole on Mr. Nice Watch. It's only fair since Cole had the best verse on BP3.

Kill Cole? no. Better than cole, maybe. Neither really brought it on that track. Jay was in lazy mode from WTT.

I don't respect Pitchfork's degrading/dismissive take on conscious hip hop in general, but that review makes sense. The album features some questionable, dumbed down lyrics and sometimes it does indeed feel like a battle between Cole's lush/instrument heavy production and ridiculous attempts at Eurotrash.

That being said, it's a solid 8/10 album to me.

Mr.Fresh

Man I really didn't like Mr. Nice Watch at all when I first heard it. Still don't like it to much but for some reason I find my self turning to it when I'm driving or on my iPod. Not sure what it is.

Blackhead

Redarse
Lol at going to Pitchfork for a review of a lyrical rapper. Never forget:
Tom Breihan said:
It also contains the one and only slick punchline Drake offers on the whole hour-plus mixtape: "When my album drops, bitches'll buy it for the picture/ And niggas'll buy it, too, and claim they got it for they sister."

See, Drake's not a great rapper. His delivery manages to convey confidence at pretty much all times, but it's still halting and awkward. Half the time, his lines barely even make sense: "I never get attracted to fans/ Cuz an eager beaver could be the collapse of a dam"-- huh?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
overcast said:
I can definitely listen to Mr. Nice Watch, even though it's very lackluster lyrically. Catchy.
Yup, it serves it's purpose well. I'm really not a fan of trying to break down every song in the universe lyrically just because it's something to do and there has to be some top tier lyricism in every track for it to be acceptable. In some songs, lyrics barely matter compared to the overall vibe of the songs. Artists understand that, usually the better ones too.

In which case, I'm okay with Mr. Nice Watch even though it is one of the obviously weaker songs on the album. Actually good single material, if he can get Jay in the video especially.

Bishman

Smarten up Pitchfork.

We all know Pitchfork mean shit to the hip hop community. I only read their reviews for non-hip hop albums.

They constantly give good reviews to the worse southern rap/snap shit while giving average, middle-of-the-road reviews for any conscious hip hop album (Roots for instance). I really don't think they respect the genre, and instead look to it for mindless bullshit only.

although they did give Danny Brown a good review which is cool

kamspy

Album sales are nice. Grat's to Cole. His work ethic isn't in question. Longevity, maybe. As far as Roc heirs go, his debut isn't up to par with Bleek's. I just gave it a relisten today. Man. Not bad. Definitely has more soul and flavor than Cole's.

cmKI3.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It's a shame he never made it past weed carrier status. He had some heat, back then.

"He can be one hit away his whole career." -Jigga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom