• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - |OT2| Too Cold for Leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
nVidiot_Whore said:
Meh.. loved some of his early stuff. Everything he's released on the radio (I have Sirius/XM) has been so mediocre.

Really?

From this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6PyB9Feu_k

To cliche'd crap about how girls didn't like you until you made some money?

I mean.. not hating on J. Cole himself, can't hate him for trying to make some cash... but forgive me for not buying this album.

Yes. Because that song sums up the entirety of the album.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Currently looking like Cole will outsell him and KRIT combined.

Is the bet still on?

Bet is still on, just have to wait til Kritt and Yela drop. I still think i will win.

Recon

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Thought it was alright/good at times, but it suffers from shit I can't stand about modern rappers. (And I'll partly explain why I seem to have a negative attitude on modern hip hop) They say smart shit sometimes, but then dumb down lines for the retard street demographic. Joe Budden does the same shit. These guys are smart and can write intelligent lyrics but they only go halfway and the other half stays dumbed down because they know they can't make it without getting that demographic. Royce does it too now.

Royce on Death is Certain, Canibus in his prime, Eminem in his prime, Big Pun, Rakim on 18th letter, Apathy etc. like guys who go hard when it comes to lyricism that's the only thing that matters to me. But modern day rappers just throw in a corny punch (think you're the shit but you can't out-fart me), show up on stage with skinny jeans and 'dat swag' dat super swag swag mang i'm killin it me and my team we makin fat stacks like stfu. That shit is so boring and obnoxious. The boring tired empty gun threats. This dude would not risk his life + career by killing someone why are you acting hard on a track this ain't 1996 grow up (weak line about having his red dot on your regime).

It's like Hip Hop is so damn afraid of branching out and talking about different shit. If I hear a successful modern rapper talk about fuckin airplanes, computers, bookbags, education, politics, sci fi movies, etc. just ANYTHING except 'I GOT THIS WE GETTIN MINE WHY YOU HATIN I GOT MY SWAG GOT MY EAGLE LOADED COME TRY AND STOP ME WE RUNNIN THIS' then I'd fucking love hip hop but no everybody has to do the same boring shit.

I'll give it a solid chance. I always try to when listening to new hyped artists but they always end up disappointing. Even someone like Lupe Fiasco who I think is good/decent and raps about different shit, he's no great or anything but his youtube mob acts like he's top 5 dead or alive. Lupe is one of those guys that's decent/good but he gets put on this pillar of greatness just because the rest of the game sucks so bad.

Lupe's Food & Liquor is great tho. Shit was a perfect debut.

PBY

Banned
Kusagari said:
lol at Yelawolf. Dude will be lucky to break 50k.
Yeah, I love Yela but hes not gonna do big numbers. Royce's Success is Certain didn't do that well (relatively speaking), and that was AFTER Bad Meets Evil- I have to imagine that Yela's gonna do way less than Royce.

Recon

Banned
peterb0y said:
Yeah, I love Yela but hes not gonna do big numbers. Royce's Success is Certain didn't do that well (relatively speaking), and that was AFTER Bad Meets Evil- I have to imagine that Yela's gonna do way less than Royce.

I think Yela will sell much more than Royce. Royce had buzz from Bad Meets Evil, but his album had Zero buzz. I didnt even know when it came out until someone said it leaked in the gaf-hop thread. Shady artists,when they are allowed to release records, do pretty well. Well, Obie did, and his shit had no buzz. But that was awhile ago, so who knows.

Byakuya769 said:
Yes. Because that song sums up the entirety of the album.

It's how he chose to represent the album. With that song, and "Who Dat?" Both are mediocre.

I won't be stealing the album either. If it comes out with an actually decent single, he might get my cash.

Even a light-hearted radio single can have a great vibe and great lyrics. He should talk to his mentor Jay-Z about that.. "Big old chains, big old range"??? That makes me never want to listen to him again.

kamspy

So that's what J.Cole fans look like.

peterb0y said:

Yela has a whole nother lane he can sell to. The warped tour crowd.

Recon

Banned
Kusagari said:
First comment I see: imagine in 10 years it,s j cole n big sean not jay n kanya

Stop the world, I want off.
Big sean will never even come close to kanyes success.

overcast

nVidiot_Whore said:
It's how he chose to represent the album. With that song, and "Who Dat?" Both are mediocre.

I won't be stealing the album either. If it comes out with an actually decent single, he might get my cash.

Even a light-hearted radio single can have a great vibe and great lyrics. He should talk to his mentor Jay-Z about that.. "Big old chains, big old range"??? That makes me never want to listen to him again.
Did you even listen to his mixtapes? Who Dat and Work Out are both bonus cuts. So you should probably give him a shot.

Those sales numbers are very impressive. Memphis Bleek, Amirite?

The M.O.B

I predicted 100k, I was obviously off by a longshot.

Good stuff cole, looking like it will be the highest debut for a new rapper since Drake last year.

Mr.Charmin did 197,000 first week.
Big Sean did 87,000 first week.
B.O.B did 84,000 first week.
Tyler did 45,000

Blackhead

Redarse
Angry Fork said:
Thought it was alright/good at times, but it suffers from shit I can't stand about modern rappers. (And I'll partly explain why I seem to have a negative attitude on modern hip hop) They say smart shit sometimes, but then dumb down lines for the retard street demographic. Joe Budden does the same shit. These guys are smart and can write intelligent lyrics but they only go halfway and the other half stays dumbed down because they know they can't make it without getting that demographic. Royce does it too now.

Royce on Death is Certain, Canibus in his prime, Eminem in his prime, Big Pun, Rakim on 18th letter, Apathy etc. like guys who go hard when it comes to lyricism that's the only thing that matters to me. But modern day rappers just throw in a corny punch (think you're the shit but you can't out-fart me), show up on stage with skinny jeans and 'dat swag' dat super swag swag mang i'm killin it me and my team we makin fat stacks like stfu. That shit is so boring and obnoxious. The boring tired empty gun threats. This dude would not risk his life + career by killing someone why are you acting hard on a track this ain't 1996 grow up (weak line about having his red dot on your regime).

It's like Hip Hop is so damn afraid of branching out and talking about different shit. If I hear a successful modern rapper talk about fuckin airplanes, computers, bookbags, education, politics, sci fi movies, etc. just ANYTHING except 'I GOT THIS WE GETTIN MINE WHY YOU HATIN I GOT MY SWAG GOT MY EAGLE LOADED COME TRY AND STOP ME WE RUNNIN THIS' then I'd fucking love hip hop but no everybody has to do the same boring shit.

I'll give it a solid chance. I always try to when listening to new hyped artists but they always end up disappointing. Even someone like Lupe Fiasco who I think is good/decent and raps about different shit, he's no great or anything but his youtube mob acts like he's top 5 dead or alive. Lupe is one of those guys that's decent/good but he gets put on this pillar of greatness just because the rest of the game sucks so bad.
It's not just hip hop, this is how the whole music industry works. If you want to hear some more diverse and relevant subject matter then you're obviously looking at the wrong people. Surely you've heard about other conscious rappers? Why are you still getting hung up on the mainstream Top40 rappers doing their thing?

zychi

Banned
wenis said:
do you play them at the same time? Does your opulence know no bounds?!
i play them 10 seconds apart. that way i get a replay like watching an nfl game.

oh, shit what did he say? LETS LISTEN TO THE REPLAY!

Kusagari

ReconYoda said:
What is weirder is that J.Cole is projected over 200k with his single that flopped.

I didn't think it would help that much, but I've got to imagine this is proof that Cole's mix tape fanbase was gigantic. Nothing else explains it.

Recon

Banned
Kusagari said:
I didn't think it would help that much, but I've got to imagine this is proof that Cole's mix tape fanbase was gigantic. Nothing else explains it.

Ive been saying this all along. No one would listen tho.

Allegedly Cole is about to outsell Big Sean, Wiz, and BoB's first week sales...without a hit single. The power of non-stop touring and building a fanbase.

Recon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Allegedly Cole is about to outsell Big Sean, Wiz, and BoB's first week sales...without a hit single. The power of non-stop touring and building a fanbase.

I think its insane that he is gonna outsell Wiz, dude had one of the biggest singles of the last couple years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
Wiz did both of those things, to the same degree or greater than Cole. Not sure why his album flopped though. I guess everyone just realized his album was soft serve. And I guess brand isn't as strong as Wiz thought it was.

But really I expected Wiz to do better than he did. Taught me image isn't everything.

Gila

Rise and shine is my favorite track in the album, followed by God's gift. And I love how it flows right after Rise and shine

enzo_gt said:
Wiz did both of those things, to the same degree or greater than Cole. Not sure why his album flopped though. I guess everyone just realized his album was soft serve. And I guess brand isn't as strong as Wiz thought it was.

But really I expected Wiz to do better than he did. Taught me image isn't everything.

True, Wiz toured hard too. Perhaps he over saturated the market with free music, dunno. I've also heard Wiz fans didn't like the album.

Anduron

When Cole put out FNL i thought he was a dumbass to not save some of those songs but it seems to have worked out. Drake did the same thing with So Far Gone I guess, weakens the first album but helps the sales/fanbase.

overcast

DominoKid said:
i enjoy and endorse the Yelawolf hate in this thread.
You don't like Cole or Yela Domino? SMH.

Sideline story is one of my favorite tracks on the album. Love the way it comes off the interlude. I also must say I enjoy the Intro and Interlude. It gives the album a more personal feel.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ReconYoda said:
I think its insane that he is gonna outsell Wiz, dude had one of the biggest singles of the last couple years.

Wiz album came out way too late.. the dude's single was on top for like 6 to 8 months and played out..

Blackace

Bishman said:
Hov and J. Cole showing everyone the Blueprint to a Cole World.

lol...

just a few weeks ago people were shitting on Hov..

Kaizer

Banned
enzo_gt said:

From my perspective, I think the difference lies in the nature of the fanbase. Wiz Khalifa was already popular before major label signing, but he blew up even more this past year. He spread his fanbase with independent releases, touring, appealing to the weed fans, etc. For the most part I'd say his fans are more "buy the next hot song" of iTunes rather than support him as an artist. They'll go out to a tour to see him for sure, but buying the whole album? Nah.

J.Cole's appeal is more about him being a new school classic hip-hop artist. The fanbase piggybacks off the same appeal of artists like Kanye or Lupe, guys who have a backstory or some degree of depth about them -- people are interested in J.Cole as an artist whereas Wiz is more a "Flavor of the Week" type guy. It's the same reason B.o.B. can have several #1 hits and only sell 84k in a week, nobody is really interested in Bobby Ray, they couldn't care less if he falls off the face of the earth.

Cole could've re-released either The Warm Up or Friday Night Lights as EPs, much how Drake did with So Far Gone and still sold a decent amount.

Bishman

Blackace said:
lol...

just a few weeks ago people were shitting on Hov..
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Sh.., Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, see Malcolm
You see Biggie, see Pac, see success and its outcome
See Jesus, see Judas; see Caesar, see Brutus
See success is like suicide
Suicide, it's a suicide
If you succeed, prepare to be crucified
Media meddles, niggas sue you, you settle
Every step you take, they remind you you ghetto
So it's tough being Bobby Brown
To be Bobby then, you gotta be Bobby now
Now the question is, "Is to have had and lost
Better than not having at [all]?"

Blackace

Kaizer said:
From my perspective, I think the difference lies in the nature of the fanbase. Wiz Khalifa was already popular before major label signing, but he blew up even more this past year. He spread his fanbase with independent releases, touring, appealing to the weed fans, etc. For the most part I'd say his fans are more "buy the next hot song" of iTunes rather than support him as an artist. They'll go out to a tour to see him for sure, but buying the whole album? Nah.

J.Cole's appeal is more about him being a new school classic hip-hop artist. The fanbase piggybacks off the same appeal of artists like Kanye or Lupe, guys who have a backstory or some degree of depth about them -- people are interested in J.Cole as an artist whereas Wiz is more a "Flavor of the Week" type guy. It's the same reason B.o.B. can have several #1 hits and only sell 84k in a week, nobody is really interested in Bobby Ray, they couldn't care less if he falls off the face of the earth.

Cole could've re-released either The Warm Up or Friday Night Lights as EPs, much how Drake did with So Far Gone and still sold a decent amount.

I agree and disagree.. timing is everything.. Wiz didn't move at the right time.. Also B.o.B has no ID being with TI...

Blackace

Bishman said:
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Sh.., Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, see Malcolm
You see Biggie, see Pac, see success and its outcome
See Jesus, see Judas; see Caesar, see Brutus
See success is like suicide
Suicide, it's a suicide
If you succeed, prepare to be crucified
Media meddles, niggas sue you, you settle
Every step you take, they remind you you ghetto
So it's tough being Bobby Brown
To be Bobby then, you gotta be Bobby now
Now the question is, "Is to have had and lost
Better than not having at [all]?"

Yeah that was a dumb response..

Bishman

Like I told you guys before, singles do not matter. It helps but in this day in age, you need to build a solid fanbase. And stay consistent. Wiz pulled a switch-a-ro on us with that trash album. Kush & OJ was a classic mixtape then he switched up the formula with his retail album. He took a shit on the fans with that. If Wiz would have followed the J. Cole formula, he would have done bigger numbers.

KRIT is going to flop guys. He isn't touring heavily like J. Cole, Wiz, and Lupe. And KRIT needs a co-sign. Hopefully with him working with T.I., it helps him.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, 200k+? HOLY FUCK.

J. Cole, it worked, your formula actually worked! I'm proud of the dude. His album ain't so bad (still doesn't top Warm Up) either. Damn son, I was thinking 80-100k. 125k pushing it. Damn, man.

Now that these sales are on the plate, I'm hoping for one the best sophomore albums ever.

Blackace

Bishman said:
Like I told you guys before, singles do not matter. It helps but in this day in age, you need to build a solid fanbase. And stay consistent. Wiz pulled a switch-a-ro on us with that trash album. Kush & OJ was a classic mixtape then he switched up the formula with his retail album. He took a shit on the fans with that.

Well Wiz did do 197,000 his first week... and I bet it was due to Black and Yellow that he did that well..

Personally I think he should have dropped in 2010.. not 2011.. but whatever

Kaizer

Banned
Bishman said:
Like I told you guys before, singles do not matter. It helps but in this day in age, you need to build a solid fanbase. And stay consistent. Wiz pulled a switch-a-ro on us with that trash album. Kush & OJ was a classic mixtape then he switched up the formula with his retail album. He took a shit on the fans with that.
Yeah you see, while I agree with my statement I just said above, they're still a few people who can survive on just being a "hit single" guy. I mean look at a Pitbull, I haven't heard a Pitbull album in years, yet he manages to consistently stay afloat by the virtue of his next track.

Listened to the album a few times on Spotify; will buy. Standout tracks for me are definitely Rise and Shine and Breakdown.

I have to say though that I prefer the simpler production of Warm Up and FNL. It's hard for me to describe, but Cole's voice doesn't mesh as well with the beat as it does in those albums. It shouldn't be a big issue since he produced most of it, but he feels more detached from the beat. I guess that comes with territory of a retail album these days. Maybe it'll grow on me like WTT did.

Blackace

Kaizer said:
Yeah you see, while I agree with my statement I just said above, they're still a few people who can survive on just being a "hit single" guy. I mean look at a Pitbull, I haven't heard a Pitbull album in years, yet he manages to consistently stay afloat by the virtue of his next track.

Pitbull is maybe the worst example you can choose because he owns the rest of the world.. Europe and anywhere latin..

Kaizer

Banned
Blackace said:
Pitbull is maybe the worst example you can choose because he owns the rest of the world.. Europe and anywhere latin..
Oh my bad, wasn't aware. All I own is the first Pitbull album. I just always see him on MTV like once a year with some Euro-Pop dance record and I say, "he's still around?" But that just goes to show how artists can stay afloat in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom