• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - |OT2| Too Cold for Leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
Blackace said:
He has flow... he "goes off" most of his songs when you listen to his rhymes.. but he lacks that unngh!! Like when Jay or Em dropped a hot line they let you know it.. When Andre said something off the wall his tone and pause changed up to let it sink in.. Tribe were masters at it as well..

Cole has mad flow... even tech.. just lacks (my favorite sports word) that intangable, for me..

Good album tho..

While I agree, i dont think its something i need from him. I think he gets that energy enough. Cole World is currently my number 2 favorite album this year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blackace said:
He has flow... he "goes off" most of his songs when you listen to his rhymes.. but he lacks that unngh!! Like when Jay or Em dropped a hot line they let you know it.. When Andre said something off the wall his tone and pause changed up to let it sink in.. Tribe were masters at it as well..

Cole has mad flow... even tech.. just lacks (my favorite sports word) that intangable, for me..

Good album tho..
Understandable. I know what you mean. A lot more of that on FNL.

Actually the one time you know Cole was actually feeling his own lines was his Looking For Trouble verse. Don't blame him either for dropping a verse like that to close out that exhibition. Love that song even with it's Big Sean verse 3 times louder than the others (who also killed it).

Man.. It makes too much sense for another (proper) Kanye/Cole collabo, make my dreams come true Ye ;_; Shit we got like 3 pics of them together, Ye knows he exists. Maybe Ye is put off by the amount of Ye samples/references.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ReconYoda said:
While I agree, i dont think its something i need from him. I think he gets that energy enough. Cole World is currently my number 2 favorite album this year.

I think all artist need it to a degree.. Even crazy, tin-foil hat Lupe has it..

Recon

Banned
Blackace said:
I think all artist need it to a degree.. Even crazy, tin-foil hat Lupe has it..

I guess i just dont notice with him? I can tell on songs like Nobodys Perfect, but he then kills it on Lost Ones and Breakdown, and Gods Gift.

Blackace

ReconYoda said:
I guess i just dont notice with him? I can tell on songs like Nobodys Perfect, but he then kills it on Lost Ones and Breakdown, and Gods Gift.

It's almost a waste of great verses to me.. He needs to get that figured out.. once he does that sky's the limit for him.. He has talent.

Guys like Big Sean are already cashing in on it...

Blackace said:

Good album tho..

I know what you mean. He's good but he hasn't developed that IT yet. It almost feels like he doesn't believe he has made it yet. He'll be even better once he gets that. Maybe he's just being modest. He doesn't have many songs that makes things pop off and you can just have fun with either. Maybe he'll hop on some other people's beats now that he's got one where he did most everything himself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
J. Cole Performs Can't Get Enough at VEVO. Including Cole with Crutches, performing with his leg broken.

J. Cole VEVO Interview.

Cole interview with Angie Martinez. Talks sex tape, lol @ his GFs reaction, rumours of him getting dropped from the Roc and getting beat up. Says he's afraid of Blink 182 stealing that #1 spot. Talks Jay/Wayne beef and getting involved in it.

J. Cole probably felt so cash doing that Sunday concert with Jay sitting in the audience while people throwin up the Roc.

Also talks competing with wTT, Who Dat being a flop and fayettenammmmm. SOLD OUT IN THE VILLEEEEEE.

overcast

I went to my local best buy and it was sold out. Got the last copy at Target though! Hell yes. Can't wait to spin this for a long time.

Recon, what's your number 1 for the year?

Recon

Banned
overcast said:
I went to my local best buy and it was sold out. Got the last copy at Target though! Hell yes. Can't wait to spin this for a long time.

Recon, what's your number 1 for the year?

Oneirology-Cunninlynguists.

Everything is perfect to me on that record.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
ReconYoda said:
Oneirology-Cunninlynguists.

Everything is perfect to me on that record.
I can agree on this. Everything is on point

As for Cole world, only a handful of tracks I can dig.

Beezy

ReconYoda said:
Mind saying why? The only reasons I can think of are that you just relate to Cole more or Kendrick's voice and flow annoys you. They're both in my favorites for the year, but Section 80 is an overall better album imo.

Recon

Banned
Beezy said:
Mind saying why? The only reasons I can think of are that you just relate to Cole more or Kendrick's voice and flow annoys you. They're both in my favorites for the year, but Section 80 is an overall better album imo.

I like Kendrick, but i found Cole to be the better album, better production/lyrics/flow.

Kusagari

enzo_gt said:
Understandable. I know what you mean. A lot more of that on FNL.

Actually the one time you know Cole was actually feeling his own lines was his Looking For Trouble verse. Don't blame him either for dropping a verse like that to close out that exhibition. Love that song even with it's Big Sean verse 3 times louder than the others (who also killed it).

Man.. It makes too much sense for another (proper) Kanye/Cole collabo, make my dreams come true Ye ;_; Shit we got like 3 pics of them together, Ye knows he exists. Maybe Ye is put off by the amount of Ye samples/references.

Looking For Trouble is why Cole disappoints me. It's proof positive that Cole can go in and truly look like a superstar. Why he never does this on his own songs is beyond me. Maybe he really does need to get together with Ye.

I love Cole, but on 99% of his shit I agree that he's lacking 'it' as good as the songs might be technically. But Looking For Trouble is proof that he does have 'it' inside him.

overcast

Bishman said:
Same here. It left a mark on the top of CD. How do I clean it off?
I don't know at all. It sucks..

This album is really consistent, I like the first half a lot. That seems to be the portion people don't like.

PBY

Banned
Kusagari said:
Looking For Trouble is why Cole disappoints me. It's proof positive that Cole can go in and truly look like a superstar. Why he never does this on his own songs is beyond me. Maybe he really does need to get together with Ye.

I love Cole, but on 99% of his shit I agree that he's lacking 'it' as good as the songs might be technically. But Looking For Trouble is proof that he does have 'it' inside him.
I hear you. Cole went HARD AS HELL on "Im on It" tho- might be my fav swagged out Cole track. Seriously, its just bars on bars of bravado, and he kills it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYOD3XExsaE

Nobility

Banned
overcast said:
Damn, that's encouraging as hell.

Cole is just going to get better (as long as he avoids the "mainstream" touch). Going to be so fun to listen to his releases for a long time.
I'm hoping he relaxes in focusing solely on singles, if this album sells very well, I imagine he's going to go much harder for the next album.

Though I hear he did confirm 'Cheer Up' for the next album on his live talk today, so we'll see...

nns3d

Finished listening to the album awhile ago. It was better than I thought it was. I would place it under The Warm Up, but I think I'd give it a slight edge over FNL. I'll probably go through it again in the morning.

Blackace

overcast said:
"I ain't got a gimmick, I just flow". This is what seems to be peoples problem with Cole (not really a problem).

I don't need a gimmick I need you to be self aware of when you are dropping dope punchlines.. He has them, but they are delivered like anything else most the time..

overcast

I got you. I respect your opinion, just I think he meant in general he's just a rapper who spits great technically.

That freestyle is dope, damn.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RBelong2Us said:
I'm gonna LOL when J. Cole beats WTT total sales (not first week though)
How is this even possible?

Unless this shit is the next College Dropout -which it's not- then you can't outlast the staying power of Jay and Ye. WTT probably on the way to 2 mill sales right now. If Cole even reaches 1 mill I'll be surprised at his impact.

ecurbj

J Cole CD is mad awesome. Listen to it 4 times already. And woke up this morning listening to it. My favorite track is Track 8: Cole World. Pretty nice lyric wise and beat. Also the track with Jay Z is pretty epic too.

MMaRsu

Banned
What happened to nothing last forever? One of the best songs on the album(?) and also better than the track with Missy.

I'll buy it tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom