• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - |OT2| Too Cold for Leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizer

Banned
DominoKid said:
WTT is better than anything Cole has made. and probably better than anything he ever will.
Not even close, Cole World shots on WTT and I actually liked WTT. Rise and Shine, Breakdown & God's Gift alone are better than anything in that album.

Natiko

Banned
Just gave it a listen, it's pretty good but not as amazing as people were hyping it up to be. Dollar and a Dream III, Lost Ones, and Rise and Shine are my top tracks. Seems like an album that I'll only remember a handful of songs from while the rest are quickly set aside.

Bishman said:
It's all hip hop. Why everyone always comparing shit like it's a life or death battle? Both albums are good. J. Cole is the leader of the new gen with Drake. And I know some of you hate on Drake but he is sitting on the top of all these new gen rappers. It is now Drake / J. Cole sitting on the throne for this generation.

Kendrick Lamar >>>>>>>> Drake

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Kaizer said:
Not even close, Cole World shots on WTT and I actually liked WTT. Rise and Shine, Breakdown & God's Gift alone are better than anything in that album.

ni**a's in paris has already proven this statement wrong..

kodecraft

shamanick said:
J Cole is fantastic, and I'm stoked for this album. I know it's minor, but I can't stand that stupid logo with the devil horns and the halo. Shit is so dumb.

Thats to show his good/bad side the contradiction that man makes. Like 2pac he can be on some conscious open your eyes and pay attention to your surroundings type ish....other times he can be like any other guy...(i.e. chasing h^es etc)

kodecraft

Natiko said:
Just gave it a listen, it's pretty good but not as amazing as people were hyping it up to be. Dollar and a Dream III, Lost Ones, and Rise and Shine are my top tracks. Seems like an album that I'll only remember a handful of songs from while the rest are quickly set aside.

Unfortunately I agree with this statement.

This sounds like a "B-side" album. Oh well waiting on his mixtape after this sideline story.

Blackace

Byakuya769 said:
One of the worst songs on the album?

yeah.. sure. Bangs so hard

people get so amped on that track.. I guess seeing 500 people wild out on on the worst song on the album then makes WTT one of the greatest albums ever..

Also mixes with everything.. love that track

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I don't see what 500 people wilding out on anything means. People have awful taste. People wild out on Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, Soulja Boy etc. songs.

Although I don't dislike NiP.

Blackace said:

people get so amped on that track.. I guess seeing 500 people wild out on on the worst song on the album then makes WTT one of the greatest albums ever..

Word. It really does require good speakers to appreciate it. Dat bass line on monster woofers = hard in the paint.

Blackace

Stat Flow said:
I don't see what 500 people wilding out on anything means. People have awful taste. People wild out on Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, Soulja Boy etc. songs.

Although I don't dislike NiP.

If you don't understand then more power to you.. takes a special track that you can listen to in the car, work out to, or wild out to in the club.. NiP is all that.. but if you want to play the people dance to Waka so they suck card feel free.. but Jay making a club banger banger is rare treat these days...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Blackace said:
If you don't understand then more power to you.. takes a special track that you can listen to in the car, work out to, or wild out to in the club.. NiP is all that.. but if you want to play the people dance to Waka so they suck card feel free.. but Jay making a club banger banger is rare treat these days...
That's not the card I was playing. The 'card' I was playing was that just because people wild out to a song does not make it exceptional or anything. Your original post said "Well if people wild out to one of the worst songs on the album, the album must be really good"...Indicating that NiP on its own is a great song because of that fact. I was only mentioning that the "wilding out" factor is not really a good defense in why NiP is a good song.

Blackace

Stat Flow said:
That's not the card I was playing. The 'card' I was playing was that just because people wild out to a song does not make it exceptional or anything. Your original post said "Well if people wild out to one of the worst songs on the album, the album must be really good"...Indicating that NiP on its own is a great song because of that fact. I was only mentioning that the "wilding out" factor is not really a good defense in why NiP is a good song.

Sure it is... Even the "bad" songs that people like to hate on by Gucci or Waka or Soulja boy are good songs because they make people wild out... That is the point of the song and it accomplishes it well., does that make Gucci or Waka or Soulja boy great rappers? No not at all... But it doesn't mean that their shit cant bang... Also Jay Z is considered one of the greats so it is awesome to hear him on a banger which is what NiP is..a banger with a legend

Recon

Banned
Blackace said:
Sure it is... Even the "bad" songs that people like to hate on by Gucci or Waka or Soulja boy are good songs because they make people wild out... That is the point of the song and it accomplishes it well., does that make Gucci or Waka or Soulja boy great rappers? No not at all... But it doesn't mean that their shit cant bang... Also Jay Z is considered one of the greats so it is awesome to hear him on a banger which is what NiP is..a banger with a legend

I have to admit, NiP has grown on me after hearing it at a bunch of parties up here. Bitches love that track, and so do dudes, so its a perfect song for parties.

Blackace

ReconYoda said:
I have to admit, NiP has grown on me after hearing it at a bunch of parties up here. Bitches love that track, and so do dudes, so its a perfect song for parties.

It is a good blend of decent rap and banging beats... It isn't Tpain crooning or Waka mumbling.. As a DJ I spin whatever is needed to pop.. But I enjoy playing NiP

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MidnightCowboy said:
WTT is the definition of an average album. You listen to it and it's just so obvious the two were like, fuck it, shit will rake in cash no matter what, and called it a day.
Well, not really considering they outlined exactly why it ended up why it ended up. They could have put the "fuck this shit" version out in March but didn't since they were at a different point even the. The album evolved.

Currently feeling FNL > WTT > Cole World > Warm Up. Damn close though, they're all pretty solid front to back, it's just that each has a different flaw IMO here and there. At the end of the day WTT will probably get more spins from me so that'll probably be my favorite.

Also gonna ask this here.. What's the origin of Nothing Lasts Forever? Cut track and then cut bonus track? Like it a lot.

daffy

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
One of the worst songs on the album?
aw hell naw, NIP was the only good song on the album ! white girls love that shit!

hiphop has a love hate relationship with white girls I know.

Blackace said:

I think it's one of the worst because any semi competent rapper could have replaced Ye and Jay, and nothing would have been lost.

GatorBait

In the past few weeks, I've gone from barely knowing who J. Cole is, to really feeling his music. My friend tells me, "I'mma turn you on to this rapper J. Cole." I had heard a couple of his singles beforehand and thought they were pretty good, but I didn't know about his mixtapes or that his first retail CD was dropping soon.

Next thing I know, I'm streaming Cole World at work and really feeling it, downloading his mixtapes, and I even caught him in concert last weekend. A like a lot of the songs on Cole World. Some really nice on it production too. Cole definitely has a new fan.

Bishman

Jay-Z.gif

A Star Is Born today. Clap for 'em!

Blackace

Byakuya769 said:
I think it's one of the worst because any semi competent rapper could have replaced Ye and Jay, and nothing would have been lost.

Naw.. I doubt that.. It's Ye and Jay that's why it's NiP... It reminds me in an odd way of Big Pimpin..

However Red Cafe did kill that beat.

Mayyhem

I've already listened to the leaked version like 10-15 times but I'm buying a hardcopy version and an itunes music. Hes released so much quality free shit and stayed true to himself for this album on TOP of it actually being fucking great, dude deserves it.

Btw I went to two HMV's in the afternoon and one was sold out of it and the other had 2 copies left.

Blackace

My thoughts on the album and him.. He has no energy in his verses (now I am sure someone will quote this and rattle off a few songs or a verse or two but whatever) I don't need tear the club up energy but I need something.. a lot of times it feels like he is sleepwalking through his book of rhymes.. Dude got flows and his album is quite nice put to me he lacks that spark.. Again, I don't expect him to be Lil Jon but guys like Em, Tribe, Outkast, Jay all have a spark.. about them that is energy.. Cole seems not to have that in this album..

I think he has plenty of energy actually, like the album overall, Mr Nice Watch and Cole World should not have been on the album though

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
I think he has plenty of energy actually, like the album overall, Mr Nice Watch and Cole World should not have been on the album though

Dude can spit.. no taking away his flow.. just doesn't feel like it is coming from his chest. But he has always felt that way to me.. The album is good.. but would have been meh for me without those songs...

Blackace said:
Dude can spit.. no taking away his flow.. just doesn't feel like it is coming from his chest. But he has always felt that way to me.. The album is good.. but would have been meh for me without those songs...

you don't think the energy was there on Lost Ones or Breakdown?

Blackace

Ken Masters said:
you don't think the energy was there on Lost Ones or Breakdown?

Not enough to carry the entire album..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blackace said:
My thoughts on the album and him.. He has no energy in his verses (now I am sure someone will quote this and rattle off a few songs or a verse or two but whatever) I don't need tear the club up energy but I need something.. a lot of times it feels like he is sleepwalking through his book of rhymes.. Dude got flows and his album is quite nice put to me he lacks that spark.. Again, I don't expect him to be Lil Jon but guys like Em, Tribe, Outkast, Jay all have a spark.. about them that is energy.. Cole seems not to have that in this album..
How come I get called out for wanting that shit cray energy in songs but you don't? >:|

If your talking that positive energy, you didn't feel it on Cole World or on Rise and Shine? It's a common complaint for Cole though at GAF-Hop, some say he lacks that flavour. But Rise and Shine he goes off.

Btw the intro for Rise and Shine is fucking godlike.

Blackace

enzo_gt said:
How come I get called out for wanting that shit cray energy in songs but you don't? >:|

If your talking that positive energy, you didn't feel it on Cole World or on Rise and Shine? It's a common complaint for Cole though at GAF-Hop, some say he lacks that flavour. But Rise and Shine he goes off.

Btw the intro for Rise and Shine is fucking godlike.

He has flow... he "goes off" most of his songs when you listen to his rhymes.. but he lacks that unngh!! Like when Jay or Em dropped a hot line they let you know it.. When Andre said something off the wall his tone and pause changed up to let it sink in.. Tribe were masters at it as well..

Cole has mad flow... even tech.. just lacks (my favorite sports word) that intangable, for me..

Good album tho..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom