• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword with an Xbox 360 Controller

K.Sabot

Damn, I just(well not just) started on this and that would totally help.

But it won't help the game feel any less unfinished or make the exploration any more satisfying.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People scream about Zelda needing change and everything like that and motion control is perhaps the biggest change of all and yet people also complain about it all the time.

I for one am hopeful that Nintendo will continue to implement motion controls to Zelda. Sure, the road to the "perfect" motion control is a long way and there may be some bumps along the way, but no one can achieve that one millionth step without taking the first one hundred. It's taking serious balls for a company to completely implement such things to one of its biggest and well-known franchises.

I had a feeling somebody would take issue with it, but it's a generic turn of phrase and I got lazy. I apologize.

What I'm saying is that Zelda hivemind across the net, when their suggestions are taken together, often make demands that Nintendo poorly interprets and implements in future games.

There was a strong push among the fanbase to bring back the "mature" style... which then received a strong re-evaluation as being "bland" and quickly outdated when TP was released. People wanted their sequel to OoT, and then didn't like it when MM and TWW followed it up in weird ways... but when they got the ultimate love letter to OoT in TP, there was a strong backlash against that as well. People clamor the games are getting stale, but then we got the DS Zeldas, which a vocal chunk of fans despise. This "overworld = dungeon = brilliant" movement has also had to re-evaluated itself with SS.

Of course, it's not as though everybody fits in one particular group (and some problems do get resolved satisfactorily, like the HUD problem in SS), but Nintendo's response to the predominant criticism of each of the latest Zeldas has usually only wrought more problems than it solves.

What you see Nintendo is incapable of satisfying demands of its fans. What I see is its fans incapable of being satisfied no matter what Nintendo will do. That one Miyamoto gag picture about he's making various Zelda games but nobody is satisfied may perhaps a gag but it is in my eyes a rather accurate description.

Wow. So to demonstrate this wonderful mod the guy:
  1. Runs around in circles and doesn't even combat a single enemy.
  2. Doesn't aim the bug or bow.
  3. Doesn't show moving while swinging.
  4. Constantly has unwanted button presses.
  5. Doesn't show it replicates all motion controls like throwing/rolling bombs.

Sure sold me on this mod.

Hey dude, I'm working my ass off trying to make money off of this free code so keep your ignorant ass opinions to yourself!

I just can't see how some of the specific sword-slashes would be quicker on a traditional controller, such as swinging a sword around into a Moblin's back, or cutting its shield with several slashes then thrusting through the holes, or shaking off a Walltulas spider. Many of the runs on youtube are very impressive and quick so it's not as if the controls can be seriously broke.

Perhaps if the recording showed the player being recorded using the XBOX controller... and fighting Ghirahim's last duel then we'll see how it'll compare to the control scheme the game was built for. I wouldn't get too giddy to declare the original scheme as obsolete, just yet.

Whilst I respect people's freedom to mod a game, I have a feeling people who try this are going to be disappointed as it only shows a bit of basic understanding of the game's controls, and I think it's a shame that people are trying to change the game instead of quickly adapting to what was the original and a great control scheme for many.

MYE

So, someone took the trouble of ruining it?

lol xbox 360 controls on SS

The motion control was the only redeeming feature of an otherwise completely bland, boring and frustrating Zelda game.

Wiimote is the least of its problems, and even with good classic control Skyward Sword still have tons of other issues, it's just a horrible game.

aaannd time to bail out of this thread.

THRILLH0

Banned
I might have to give this a shot sometime. The controls in SS were completely awful for me. Not a single thing about the motion controls that I liked. Though it could have been my crappy bluetooth adapter, seeing as how praised they are.

Why didn't you just play it on your Wii then?

This would change Skyward Sword from a ♋✌✖☠ game into a ❧✔✘▲ game.

Sexy peace no death, heart yes no triangle? So the first is a great game you have no problems with, and the second controls so bad you need hearts and can't even make it to the Triforce?

Ledsen

Why does this need a thread? It's not like it's hard to configure controller buttons to do motion stuff in Dolphin...

edit: and why the christ does it have 4 pages?

I think a lot of the hate for the motion controls in SS are coming from people who didn't put much time at all into the game, nonetheless beat the story.

I put 112 hours (from what I remember from the in-game clock) into the main story, got 100%/did everything sans bothering with Hero Mode.
After that I went and did misc. things I forgot to, like upgrade all satchels/bags, etc. and the grand total time was around 125 hours.

At first, I was not excited to play with the forced motion controls. I was one of the people that went and waited for the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess so I could play with a traditional controller, mind you (the motion controls in TP Wii were probably nowhere near as good as with WM+ in SS anyway).

But once I got started playing and got the sword, I was immersed. It was one of the most fun things I've done in a game for quite some time. Just twisting the WM+ remote and Link twisting the sword, slashing in different directions from different directions, both my arms extending outward and Link doing the spin attack, etc...it all felt so satisfying and fluid. I didn't mind it one bit and never had any issues with it, even on low battery (I went through about 7 pairs of batteries over the course of my playthrough, but I'm an exception because I really got my enjoyment out of it and explored every nook and cranny and then some). When the cursor/reticule got out of alignment, simply pressing down on the D-pad to center was more than enough to fix it.

Some say motion controls break the immersion, but the opposite was true here in my experience. Even the flying controls were fine and you felt more "in the moment" due to the motion. Sure, this kind of thing definitely should not now be applied to every other game because it works well here, though the developers have designed the flow and pace of SS to work well with the motion.

As for the game itself, I think it's one of the best 3D Zelda games, second to OoT and MM. Especially for the incredible significance to the Zelda timeline and the goosebump-inducing revelations and subtle hints and non-spoken things that link to key elements in future game in the timeline.

With that said, it'd be interesting playing it with a standard controller, but I appreciate what the developers have done with the WM+ and this game. Coming from years of not being so "wowed" by motion control games, this was one of the first that did it very well in my eyes.

I took the entire month of March (and a little into April) to complete Skyward Sword. Upon completion, I immediately documented my thoughts on the adventure. And that's the thing...a true adventure is what it was. Few games these days will capture us and have us forget the world we're living in, to be completely immersed in the world we see on the screen...is something many have been missing since childhood/early teens. SS is the first game in years to do that, because I threw aside all notions that any other game existed, and focused solely on one game, until I completed it. And it didn't matter if it took a few days to complete or a few weeks or a few months. Whatever it took naturally.
You can read the thread linked below and continue the discussion if you want, too.

LTTP || Zelda: Skyward Sword || and my vacation from the evil HD consoles [SPOILERS]

I await the next mainline Zelda title with open arms, especially for where it would take place in the timeline (some rumors point to around Link to the Past), whether it be the 3DS title or Wii U title. If they happen to use motion controls again, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Skyward Sword, besides the motion controls, has proved the Zelda team knows what they're doing, even if it's not hitting 'revolutionary' levels we saw with LTTP and OOT/MM for example.

I didn't hate the controls before the game came out, I hated the controls because when I played it they flat out did not work.

Sorry, but that's not possible. It's the same hardware, same game, same programming for everyone, the controls work the exact same way with every copy of the game. So it's not possible for them to work perfectly for some and not at all for others because they are exactly the same.

If they don't work for you, then there are three possibilities:

1. Your hardware is defective.
2. You don't understand the controls.
3. You fail at executing them correctly.

There simply is no other way. The room for error is indefinitely higher than with traditional button-based controls (e.g. there are eight different directions to slash the sword + one stab attack, that gives you seven possible ways to fail if the game needs you to do just one correct slash, whereas with a traditional Zelda you either press the right button or you don't), add to that that some people just waggle like crazy instead of playing the game the way it's supposed to be played and you have loads of complaints saying that the controls "don't work". But the problem lies with the player, not the game.

Whether one likes the controls is another story, but they do objectively work, there is no way around that.

Shiggy

Is there also a mod that cuts out all the superflous backtracking, the shadow realm stages, and the awful cutscenes? While the controls didn't work that well for me (IR interference...), the controls were not as bad as the game design. In fact, they - and the bosses - were the best part of an otherwise completely boring title.

Ditto. My problem was they made a 20 hour game into a 40 hour one =(

So true. Afer recently finishing The Last Story, I just remembered how an interesting 40 hour game should be done.

Ragus

Banned
Is there also a mod that cuts out all the superflous backtracking, the shadow realm stages, and the awful cutscenes? While the controls didn't work that well for me (IR interference...), the controls were not as bad as the game design. In fact, they - and the bosses - were the best part of an otherwise completely boring title.

So true.

I'm with you. In fact I think that I'd enjoy Skyward Sword more, if it was shorter. Those 10-15 hours of boredom were really unnecessary.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sums it up perfectly for people that shit on SS, from what I've found. Sure SS is not OoT/MM/LTTP level in my opinion, but it's excellent and the extreme negativity by some is not the fault of the game's end.
To be fair, the game is way too much pedantic on some trivial stuff but largely ignores, or explains badly, very important details such as how pointing controls work.
This very thread is still filled with people lamenting the constant need to resync (newsflash: you don't have to resync), and if so many people still have no idea how those controls are supposed to work then at least some fault must be on the game's end.

Danielsan

Motion controls were fine.

Pacing, PACING is this game's problem.
Pacing was definitely Skyward Sword's biggest problem. Along with a whole slew of minor but ultimately extremely annoying design decisions. That said, I also found the motion controls to be annoying rather than an added value.

Shiggy

To be fair, the game is way too much pedantic on some trivial stuff but largely ignores, or explains badly, very important details such as how pointing controls work.
This very thread is still filled with people lamenting the constant need to resync (newsflash: you don't have to resync), and if so many people still have no idea how those controls are supposed to work then at least some fault must be on the game's end.

You cannot blame people for having the Wii Remote do automatic re-centering towards the sun, the christmas tree, or whatever is bright. It's got to do with the hardware. Not to forget about motion drift...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How the game works:

You enter aiming mode and the centre is wherever your wiimote is pointing at the time.

How people think it works:

You enter aiming mode and you need to point at the tv to centre, but find this isn't so so they have to resync.

I can understand why people have gotten it wrong, because instinctively we aim at the TV because every other Wii game requires that. The trick is to aim first and then enter aiming mode.

Vanille

I think a lot of the hate for the motion controls in SS are coming from people who didn't put much time at all into the game, nonetheless beat the story.

If you need to put 30 hours into the game before you're able to appreciate the control scheme, then it is inherently flawed.

Doesn't this sort of defeat the point?

Also, had no idea there were so many that disliked Skyward Sword. The trope of Zelda fans never being satisfied lives on.

-MB-

If you need to put 30 hours into the game before you're able to appreciate the control scheme, then it is inherently flawed.

Funny, as I appreciated the controls almost immediately, guess it ain't as inherently flawed as u think it is.
Kid icarus on the other hand...

Mlatador

Banned

I don't think anybody needs more than 20 Minutes to master the control scheme and even less to appreciate it's AWESOMENESS.
Oh, unless the people who complain about it, of course (aka people, who can't even handle a minimum of dexterity required).

Nilaul

I guess some people just get a cardiac unrest from waving a virtual sword with there wrist.
This is why they hate the superior sword controls; they just cant handle them.

sounds like a nice mod, especially when zelda ss doesn't use any kind of real move recognition. the sword fighting used a 8 way-sword-movement system, while former 3d zeldas used a 4-way system, iirc.

Blah blah blah Zelda cycle.

Well it's because it's partially true is it not?

I finished and loved Twilight Princess but felt like it still went on way to long and so did this.

I venture to believe Nintendo will never just "get it" and for once, sacrifice quantity for actual quality.

Myriadis

I think it's a nice idea, although I really liked the motion controls in Skyward Sword and barely had a problem with it. Plus, the sword fighting in MGS2 with the right stick was cool at the beginning, but doesn't really work that well in chaotic situations.

And i don't know how you could solve some puzzles like these with a traditional contoller.

I would like to see that in action.

SykoTech

The problem with the motion controls in SS is the fact they're counter-intuitive. The game needs you to slowly move the sword around so that it can follow your movements, and when you try a quick slash like you really would with a sword, more often than not the game freaks out and doesn't register what you're doing correctly.

Can you adjust and do it the way the game wants you to? Sure.

Is that fun? Satisfying? Does it enhance the experience? Is it superior to a traditional controller? Absolutely not.

There are other fatal flaws with the game that made me stop playing, some real terrible design choices, but that was the worst of all. Every single combat scenario was painful.

Sums up how I felt after playing the demo a few times rather nicely. The fact that people are saying that the game has several other flaws, some being claimed to somehow be even worse than the motion controls, leads me to believe I might as well skip it entirely.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
You cannot blame people for having the Wii Remote do automatic re-centering towards the sun, the christmas tree, or whatever is bright. It's got to do with the hardware. Not to forget about motion drift...
I wasn't talking about light interference or motion drift, of course, but about what BGBW said.

Moaradin

I think it's a nice idea, although I really liked the motion controls in Skyward Sword and barely had a problem with it. Plus, the sword fighting in MGS2 with the right stick was cool at the beginning, but doesn't really work that well in chaotic situations.

And i don't know how you could solve some puzzles like these with a traditional contoller.

I would like to see that in action.

With emulated motion+ of course.

The door puzzles are not impossibe without motion controls. Rotations could easily be tagged to the stick. This is not the first time this sort of puzzle has been in a game.

Well, I have a physical disability that stopped me from playing SS (actually made a thread here about it), so the existence of this sort of thing sounds pretty good (especially if they have them for DKCR and Metroid Prime Trilogy as well?).

Myriadis

What about stabbing?

Clicking the controller. But what about rotating the sword itself, like this puzzle right before the third temple where you had to align the symbols correctly?

The door puzzles are not impossibe without motion controls. Rotations could easily be tagged to the stick. This is not the first time this sort of puzzle has been in a game.
Ah yeah, I thought that using your wiimote added another axis, even through I still can't completely wrap my head around that. I'm not that good at that spatial visulization thing.

Anth0ny

*waits for Anth0ny to defend Sunshine as the best Mario*

oh christ I'm never going to live that down am I

Well I'm curious, I'm just saying that in certain very specific cases in the game just mapping certain action on a controller could be problematic. What did you map to the shoulder buttons? How does the hack differentiate between moving the sword and actual slashes?

LT= Z-target
LB= first person view
Press l-stick= shield parry/roll while running (nunchuk waggle)

RT= B (bring up menu/use item)
RB= nothing?
Press r-stick= stab

I'm guessing slowly moving the analog stick=moving the sword while smashing it in a direction=slashing, but I haven't got it working yet.

Sums up how I felt after playing the demo a few times rather nicely. The fact that people are saying that the game has several other flaws, some being claimed to somehow be even worse than the motion controls, leads me to believe I might as well skip it entirely.
Wait until Zelda U is out, then everybody will say how amazing Skyward Sword is and how they wish Zelda U was like it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
oh christ I'm never going to live that down am I

LT= Z-target
LB= first person view
Press l-stick= shield parry/roll while running (nunchuk waggle)

RT= B (bring up menu/use item)
RB= nothing?
Press r-stick= stab

I'm guessing slowly moving the analog stick=moving the sword while smashing it in a direction=slashing, but I haven't got it working yet.

Holding down RB enables sword slashing with the right stick or DPad, or any other control that requires the movement of the wiimote, like dashing while climbing or balancing when walking on a rope. It's easy to forget and kind of annoying.

Anth0ny

Holding down RB enables sword slashing with the right stick or DPad, or any other control that requires the movement of the wiimote, like dashing while climbing or balancing when walking on a rope. It's easy to forget and kind of annoying.

ah

well that solves my problem
01laugh.gif

Well, the general consensus. Seriously though, the general consensus on Twilight Princess is so much more positive now than it was at launch, it's actually kind of scary.

Not really?

Maybe for Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, but I haven't seen it for the 5+ Zeldas released since.

Top Bottom