• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer August 2012 - next Gears of War

So...

Gears of War game
Halo 4
Forza Horizon
Fable The Journey
Twisted Pixel Games project

Didn't Pachter say that Microsoft wouldn't show a lot of games at E3? :p I'd be fine with this list tbh. Apart from the lack of new IPs, it's really not that bad.

If he said that then there's going to be tons of games.

Cheech

I am totally confused as to why they're doing this. Gears 3 was a good capper on 360. Why wouldn't the next one be a launch title for the next Xbox?! This really makes no sense.

Karak

PLUS Unreal Engine 4 is the poster-boy for nextgen AND Gears is the poster-boy for Unreal Engine in general AND Epic was the one who convinced MS to double the 360's RAM through the same kind of comparative demo with the first Gears. It makes too much sense.

Ya agreed. I would generally find this idea very palatable. I really do feel that the 360 is successful enough that devs SHOULD continue to support it and making 2 version 1 with higher GFX settings and so forth for the 720 would be fine.
It makes perfect sense really if taken into the whole picture of how and when they will release the 720.

TheOddOne

Didn't Pachter say that Microsoft wouldn't show a lot of games at E3? :p I'd be fine with this list tbh. Apart from the lack of new IPs, it's really not that bad.
The comment was focused on the visit he was going to make to Microsoft later on, they said that during that meeting they would not focus on games.

U2NUMB

I am guessing a March 2013 release... no way they want this in the way of their next system and this fall is all Halo 4 but I am all in for another Gears game!

sflufan

Banned
Does this effectively mean that the NextBox won't see the light of day until 2014?

I say this because typically MS alternates between Halo and Gears of War as its big annual exclusives, so we get Halo 4 this year and this new Gears game in 2013?

Karak

Microsoft was the one that told him about it. Maybe he misinterpreted what they said.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473094

I think also that companies like MS have no problem telling Pachtor one thing and doing something totally different. We have seen so many times where someone says something will be showed and it hasn't been, or something won't be shown and they do it anyway. He isn't anything more than an anylyst and doesn't work for their company any company in their right mind would not tell him what they were doing in totality.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is for the 720.

Except for there are 360 screenshots in the magazine.

Unless it is released for both, with the 720 version being night and day.

Which is what I am hoping for.

How awesome/sad would it be if the 10 page UE4 spread was not of the demo we saw screens of before, but a comparison using UE4 to Render Gears 4, and pitch it as a "what if" scenario to get people exited about next gen.

NHale

Finally a surprise reveal from Game Informer.

I hope the rumor is true and this game is being developed by PCF and not Epic North Carolina, because while horde is amazing the campaign of Gears 3 bored me to death.

This is a Kinect exclusive.

The handcuffs on Marcus symbolize the on-the-rails "hand-cuffed" nature of Kinect.

If it's a hybrid control game, it shouldn't have to be on-rails, though we're talking about a modern AAA franchise built around linear paths. As well, there are several Kinect control-only non-rail-based navigation games released, like Rise of Nightmares and Haunt.

rdrr gnr

Gears 3 was a solid entry though I'm more concerned with PCF. No chance in hell this represents a departure from the Gears formula, so hopefully this is successful and maybe, just maybe we'll see Bulletstorm 2. That being said -- a new IP would be nice, but I know it's late into the generation. I just hope Microsoft has just one creative, risk-taking bone in their body at the beginning of next gen. Also, there seem to be no reveals left for E3.

nasos_333

PLUS Unreal Engine 4 is the poster-boy for nextgen AND Gears is the poster-boy for Unreal Engine in general AND Epic was the one who convinced MS to double the 360's RAM through the same kind of comparative demo with the first Gears. It makes too much sense.

End of the console cycle. Wait til next year before you blow them off. We already know of:

New Lionhead MMO
New Remedy IP
3 new Rare IPs
New MS Vancouver game
Ryse from Crytek

Plus half a dozen new studios, which we have no idea of what they're doing.
Plus that $300 million to fund new IPs through outside studios.
And of course all the other partnerships they like to do, including XBLA.

I have a feeling this MMO was the Heroes game

The job stated a 4 player co-op game, so i dont know if that MMO exists

Plus it says a MMO like RPG, not a MMO, which could mean anything

And they also state a single player campaign, so it is more like Fable 2-3 that are SP and have a multiplayer mode

A pure MMO would cut a huge number of Fable sales and they would be crazy to make it a online only game

- J - D -

Please, please, whatever they do on this, please apply some anti-aliasing. Gears 3 lacked any implementation and it looked a jaggy mess to me, despite the otherwise quality work in the visuals.

I still find it funny that people bring this up, no dig on you though. Guess people never actually looked deeper into that story.

Oh I didn't mean anything by it just that it makes common sense for the industry. Why wouldn't you release your two biggest franchises as often as possible. Why what is the story?

Please, please, whatever they do on this, please apply some anti-aliasing. Gears 3 lacked any implementation and it looked a jaggy mess to me, despite the otherwise quality work in the visuals.

They did that with Gears 2, it had the world's worst framerate. I'll take some jaggies in exchange how smooth and pretty everything else looked.

TheOddOne

Oh I didn't mean anything by it just that it makes common sense for the industry. Why wouldn't you release your two biggest franchises as often as possible. Why what is the story?
The story goes that one shareholder objected in 2008 (could be wrong on date, but it was early) on how Microsoft was spilling away money with the 360, this was still fresh in the console life and they were not making much money. Later, I think Times said it, that Microsoft Game Studio should be spun off because as its own company would make more money. After that, 360 sales started to level out and they were becoming profitable. After that shareholder pretty much never asked that question anymore, because well sales were on a up swing.

So that thing was used often used as a back handed comment, but there is no real merit in the story.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, well I really thought Gears of war had closed the casket for at least another year. Interesting.
Yeah, me too. I figured they'd take a break from it for a little while. I'm not miffed or anything, just surprised.

If it's a prequel I hope it has Carmine's dad

And Gears 3 sucked compared to 2. Make the game more like Gears of War 2, Epic.

jackie-chan.jpg

I still haven't finished the third one, I don't really have any desire too, the lambent wasn't any fun to fight and I'm just tired of the Gears gameplay I guess, not excited for this one at all unless it's changed up, which I doubt.

Top Bottom