• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of person leaves their child in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email from my wife. She works as the assistant manager for a hotel here locally in so cal. She's manning the front desk when a woman runs in and asks her to use the phone. She locked her child in the car with the windows closed. It's 105 F out here in the valley today. The woman uses the phone to call AAA. They tell her that it's going to be at least 30 min before they can come out. They told her to break her window or call the cops. The woman's reply ....

"I can't afford to break my window"

She opted to wait for the cops to get there. Where ... they promptly broke her window anyway to get the child out fast and safely.

It's times like these I question my liberal beliefs and wonder if manadatory testing for a licence to be a parent is really that bad of an idea.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Someone should have broke it without her permission.

Even if I get fucked and have to pay for the window it would be worth it to save an innocent child.

I mean ... I would never leave my child in a car anyway. I would be fearful of someone breaking in or taking them. BUt it's seriosuly one of the hottest days of the summer out here. It just makes me mad. Who can't afford to save their child?

Even if I get fucked and have to pay for the window it would be worth it to save an innocent child.

This was my exact thought. If I were there I would have broke her window.

rbanke

The title makes it sound like someone intentionally left their kid in the car, but the OP sounds like it was an accident and the lady was hoping to avoid having to buy a replacement window. Who knows if the money for the window will now force them to skip food or the light bill? I don't think she's a bad parent because she was hoping someone could help and avoid breaking the window.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The original question sounds like an accident where you step out of your car and accidentally lock the doors without your keys.

Now the part where she wouldn't break her window, that is where the problem come into play.

This right here. It's bad enough to leave the kid in the car, but to actually put the window over the kid's life?

What a fucking moron.

Alucrid

Banned
The title makes it sound like someone intentionally left their kid in the car, but the OP sounds like it was an accident and the lady was hoping to avoid having to buy a replacement window. Who knows if the money for the window will now force them to skip food or the light bill? I don't think she's a bad parent because she was hoping someone could help and avoid breaking the window.

I see tons of cars that just tape up their window with tarp. Break the goddamn window to get your kid out of the car.

Who cares if it was an accident or not? I would never leave my child in the car.

If I was ever negligent enough to do that, I would never EVER say, "I can't afford to break my window"

I would give up all my money five times over to save my child.

It's times like these I question my liberal beliefs and wonder if manadatory testing for a licence to be a parent is really that bad of an idea.

Some people are just very very stupid and need to be taught how not to kill their progeny

rKZY6.png

The sane response has already been mentioned. Screw the repair bills, shatter that window and save the child's life.

Izick

A fucking piece of shit asshole.

In the OP's story though, maybe she just shut her door before trying to open the back-side door.

How old is the child? When I was 6 years old or w/e I would stay in the car and play Pokemon instead of going with my mom to her boring ass department store or wherever women go.

Of course she didn't leave me when I was a baby. Plus she'd keep the AC on.

rbanke

Who cares if it was an accident or not? I would never leave my child in the car.

If I was ever negligent enough to do that, I would never EVER say, "I can't afford to break my window"

I would give up all my money five times over to save my child.

For all she knows, the cops can be there in a couple minutes and slimjim the door open. It's not an instant emergency. I live in Florida, if my son was locked in my car, i'm breaking the window, but I still think she wasn't neglectful.

Edit: yea im breaking the window, but I also can afford to fix it.

Erasus

They fact that she did this is what is disturbing. Oh no might loose money!!! WELL DONT GET A CHILD THEN, THEY COST MONEY

And no she was not hoping someone could help, she KNEW it would take 30mins and how else did she think they where gonna get the babby out? Magic? Picking the locks? heh

Also thead title seems dumb as it was an accident it seems like.

soepje

Yup, it was an accident which she noticed right away, to call her a bad parent would be very presumptuous.
If you have to count every penny to take care of your family, breaking a car window can be a big deal, especially if there is a possibility to get the kid out in an other way. If the child was in real distress she would have broken the window right away probably.

Riggs

Banned
Ummmm break my window to save my kid? LOL what are you fucking stupid?

Seriously fuck her, AAA broke it anyway I hope she feels horrible ...

rbanke

Ummmm break my window to save my kid? LOL what are you fucking stupid?

Seriously fuck her, AAA broke it anyway I hope she feels horrible ...

"to save my kid" assumes the kid is in immediate danger. The cops will be there far far sooner than the 30 minutes AAA said it would take them.

Cat Party

I would never leave my child in the car.

Um, yes you would. It's part of getting in and out of the car. Now, the way you mitigate the risks of locking your kids in the car are to never ever ever lock the doors other than from the outside with your key (or key fob).

How old is the child? When I was 6 years old or w/e I would stay in the car and play Pokemon instead of going with my mom to her boring ass department store or wherever women go.

Of course she didn't leave me when I was a baby. Plus she'd keep the AC on.

Infant in a car seat.

For all she knows, the cops can be there in a couple minutes and slimjim the door open. It's not an instant emergency. I live in Florida, if my son was locked in my car, i'm breaking the window, but I still think she wasn't neglectful.

It's 105 degree out here right now. How long do you think it takes to heat up a car in direct sun lilght? Who knows how long the cops or anyone is going to take. The only sure way to know your child is safe would be to break the window.

Look .. I'm not questioning her mistake. Though I don't think I would ever be that careless with my child. I'm questioning her response to the situation.

ameratsu

I'm honestly surprised that it is still possible to lock your keys in your car. My car is 21 years old, and it is virtually impossible to lock your keys inside with the power lock technology of the early 90s. Unless you have manual locks, which you are locking entirely from the inside, this just shouldn't happen.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
You know, I vacillate between being upset with people who leave their kids in the car due to their negligence and feeling great pity for parents with young kids sometimes being out of their depths with all the disparate demands on an adult's attention. I can see my own human flaws leading to that sort of fuck up, and being near (or actually) suicidal when confronted with the ultimate consequences of choosing so poorly.

That being said, "I can't afford to break the window" has got to be the most asinine, selfish emergency response I've read in a long time.

Raiden

Banned
How old is this "baby"?

If it is a 8 year old kid in there im pretty sure some basic communication can be held.

1-3 years old, instant windowbreaking.

Joates

Banned

Yes, and I would love to meet the person that develops this test. And I would love to know how it could screen against shit like this, but thats beside the point.

Also, would have loved to see the thread had the mother not handled the situation as adequately as she did.

I leave my 2-year old in the car, locked, while I run to an ATM quick. I'm never more than 40 ft away, and never gone longer than 3 minutes. And it's never 100 degrees out. If I locked her in by accident I'd dropkick the nearest window into oblivion.

It's not as simple as "too stupid to be a parent." This article is a must-read on the subject.

To answer the OP's question:
The wealthy do, it turns out. And the poor, and the middle class. Parents of all ages and ethnicities do it. Mothers are just as likely to do it as fathers. It happens to the chronically absent-minded and to the fanatically organized, to the college-educated and to the marginally literate. In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist.

Yes, and I would love to meet the person that develops this test. And I would love to know how it could screen against shit like this, but thats beside the point.

Also, would have loved to see the thread had the mother not handled the situation as adequately as she did.

Out of everything you choose that sentence to scrutinize? The hyperbolic “I'm fuming at this parent” comment? Really?

You feel she reacted adequately?

It's not as simple as "too stupid to be a parent." This article is a must-read on the subject.

No one's really questioning accidentally leaving your kid in the car, which you should be very very very careful about but could happen to the best of parents once in the thousands of times they take their baby somewhere in a car.

It's "wellll it's 105 degrees out but a new window would be pretty expensive". That's the part where too-stupid-to-be-a-parent comes in.

bro1

Banned
I leave my 2-year old in the car, locked, while I run to an ATM quick. I'm never more than 40 ft away, and never gone longer than 3 minutes. And it's never 100 degrees out. If I locked her in by accident I'd dropkick the nearest window into oblivion.
When I was a kid my parents used to do this all the time. Now that I am a dad, and with the constant media about abductions, I am too freaked out. Weird how it was fine in them 70s and 80s and now it's taboo.

I just got an email from my wife. She works as the assistant manager for a hotel here locally in so cal. She's manning the front desk when a woman runs in and asks her to use the phone. She locked her child in the car with the windows closed. It's 105 F out here in the valley today. The woman uses the phone to call AAA. They tell her that it's going to be at least 30 min before they can come out. They told her to break her window or call the cops. The woman's reply ....

She opted to wait for the cops to get there. Where ... they promptly broke her window anyway to get the child out fast and safely.

What the fuck?

I would have immediately punched that window, lacerations be damned. Or kicked it out or whatever.

That's just mind-bogglingly stupid.

I mean ... I would never leave my child in a car anyway. I would be fearful of someone breaking in or taking them. BUt it's seriosuly one of the hottest days of the summer out here. It just makes me mad. Who can't afford to save their child?

Do you even have one?

Raptor

The stupid type I think?

And after that fact she didn't wanted to brake the window?

She acted all wrong, everything she did was wrong.

:/

I can accept the idea that folks just stop paying attention long enough to forget that there is a child trapped in an overheated car. But this one in the OP's story noticed, then refused to handle the emergency promptly, prioritizing the cost of a repair bill over the safety of her own child. That's when she crossed the line towards 'too stupid to be a parent.'

When I was a kid my parents used to do this all the time. Now that I am a dad, and with the constant media about abductions, I am too freaked out. Weird how it was fine in them 70s and 80s and now it's taboo.

I was installing a carseat in my moms car about a year ago we kind of got into a conversation about how elaborate they are now, and how they have to be fully compliant with the numerous laws. Then my mom said when I was young we just used to play up on the back dashboard or sit on the floor. Good times?

Cat Party

I can accept the idea that folks just stop paying attention long enough to forget that there is a child trapped in an overheated car. But this one in the OP's story noticed, then refused to handle the emergency promptly, prioritizing the cost of a repair bill over the safety of her own child. That's when she crossed the line towards 'too stupid to be a parent.'

I dunno, it's hard to judge too harshly. Maybe she thought incorrectly that the police have the tools to get in without breaking the window. A few minutes in the car is not going to cause injury. It doesn't take much, but 5 or so minutes is not unreasonable.

EDIT:
I was installing a carseat in my moms car about a year ago we kind of got into a conversation about how elaborate they are now, and how they have to be fully compliant with the numerous laws. Then my mom said when I was young we just used to play up on the back dashboard or sit on the floor. Good times?

Yeah, my parents talk about they just held me and my sisters when we were kids, or wrapped us in blankets and laid us on the bench seats. It's amazing any of us survived.

Do you even have one?

Wife and I are working on getting pregnant in the next couple of months. I think that's why I'm so shocked. I'm excited and anxious and she isn't even pregnant yet.

I have to wonder though ...

Does it matter? I don't have a ferrari either but I can tell you ahead of time that I would never park it next to a bunch of shoipping carts and a busted ass old honda.

FStop7

Banned

Instant prison if I were king

TS-08

I dunno, it's hard to judge too harshly. Maybe she thought incorrectly that the police have the tools to get in without breaking the window. A few minutes in the car is not going to cause injury. It doesn't take much, but 5 or so minutes is not unreasonable.

They told her it would be at least 30 minutes.

Edit: I guess it would be 30 minutes for AAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom