• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of person leaves their child in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be pedantic, I wouldn't be using a stop-watch, I'd spend a few minutes testing all the doors, checking to see how quickly I could get my spare key and failing that I'd smash the window and then drive it straight to the smash repairers.

The point is you didn't immediately smash the window because you felt you had a period of time to safely look for other options. That is exactly what the woman did here.

No its not, she called the police and the police smashed the window.

How is it not? She didn't smash it herself; she felt that the police would be able to open the door. Clearly if she thought they were going to smash it, she might have done it herself. She chose a resolution that she thought would pan out one way and it panned out a different. The point is she chose a path where she felt she was saving the baby and the window without immediately resorting to busting the window open which we know would cause her financial hardship. She didn't simply choose I'll take the window over the baby; she tried to choose both. Everyone seems to assume that she wouldn't have broken the window ever.

Fusebox

Banned
I get it, people have different priorities and I'm not criticising anyone who would act differently, but in this hypothetical scenario I wouldn't fuck around trying to save both the window and the baby.

Vyer

hot_car_10min.jpg

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/heat/index.shtml

In just an 80 degree day, a car interior can heat up 19 degrees in 10 minutes.

It was 105, according to OP.

I understand looking at your options calmly, but this woman went at least 3 options deep with her kid in a car in danger. That's inexcusable IMO.

I get it, people have different priorities and I'm not criticising anyone who would act differently, but in this hypothetical scenario I wouldn't fuck around trying to save both the window and the baby.

I wouldn't either, but it seems clear, both you and I could afford the window and wouldn't break a sweat over it. Just because you and I could do it, doesn't mean she could and it was clearly stated she couldn't. It was in her best interest and the baby for her to try to save both.

I don't feel it's a good idea to wait until the child is showing physical symptoms from exposure to the heat to make a move.
The thing is Fenderputty doesn't give us enough information to answer his question, was the woman simply going to wait until the kid started acting fussy before breaking a window, was she going to wait until the kid started showing physical symptoms, was she going to wait until the kid passed out, or was she just going to wait until hell or high water someone comes with a lockpick?

This could have been a monster of a mother, or it could have been someone who just thought the police could do what a car thief can do in 20 seconds.

Vyer

Irrelevant

same source

Where are you reading that? I don't see it anywhere.

Regardless, it doesn't change the point. It doesn't have to be much more 'significant', considering you are seeing a 20 degree jump in 10 minutes.

EDIT:

what did you mean by 'same source'?

In addition, if I am reading their data correctly, in the example they give if the ambient temperature is 77, in 10 minutes the car temp is 100. If the ambient temperature was 93, the car temp is 106.

I believe they were looking for significant difference if the ambient temperature was more moderate in that study, ie, on cooler days as opposed to hotter days. Meaning, it's still dangerous and the temperature still rises quickly.

I just got an email from my wife. She works as the assistant manager for a hotel here locally in so cal. She's manning the front desk when a woman runs in and asks her to use the phone. She locked her child in the car with the windows closed. It's 105 F out here in the valley today. The woman uses the phone to call AAA. They tell her that it's going to be at least 30 min before they can come out. They told her to break her window or call the cops. The woman's reply ....

"I can't afford to break my window"

She opted to wait for the cops to get there. Where ... they promptly broke her window anyway to get the child out fast and safely.

It's times like these I question my liberal beliefs and wonder if manadatory testing for a licence to be a parent is really that bad of an idea.

I can see it now "It's a baby boy, but before we hand your child over you must take this test to see if you're a responsible parent. -moments later- I'm sorry, you failed. We can not legally allow you to have this child, good try, try again next time!" That would be quite the buzzkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom