• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of person leaves their child in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudkips

Banned
I'm honestly surprised that it is still possible to lock your keys in your car. My car is 21 years old, and it is virtually impossible to lock your keys inside with the power lock technology of the early 90s. Unless you have manual locks, which you are locking entirely from the inside, this just shouldn't happen.

I have manual locks which I lock entirely from the inside.
I have not locked my keys in the car yet.

Wife and I are working on getting pregnant in the next couple of months. I think that's why I'm so shocked. I'm excited and anxious and she isn't even pregnant yet.

I have to wonder though ...

Does it matter? I don't have a ferrari either but I can tell you ahead of time that I would never park it next to a bunch of shoipping carts and a busted ass old honda.

I just feel like it's way more easy to be all high and mighty about parenting when you don't have one of your own. Mistakes happen.

They told her it would be at least 30 minutes.

Edit: I guess it would be 30 minutes for AAA.

It was 30 min for AAA. Keep in mind, that it had to have taken at least 5 minutes for her to come into the hotel and call AAA. You have to go through a phone system. So by the time she called the cops the child had already been in the car for at least 5 min. By the time the cops got there, (luckily 5 minutes after) it had been even more.

You guys have seriously never heard horror stories about police response times?

I just feel like it's way more easy to be all high and mighty about parenting when you don't have one of your own. Mistakes happen.

Which I get. I'm mostly upset about her response to her mistake.

I just got an email from my wife. She works as the assistant manager for a hotel here locally in so cal. She's manning the front desk when a woman runs in and asks her to use the phone. She locked her child in the car with the windows closed. It's 105 F out here in the valley today. The woman uses the phone to call AAA. They tell her that it's going to be at least 30 min before they can come out. They told her to break her window or call the cops. The woman's reply ....

"I can't afford to break my window"

It sucks that she's so on the grind for money that she honestly has to juxtapose the extra cost of replacing the window vs the health and welfare of her child. But in the end if your kid is in danger fuck the cash...break the window.

My mom and her best friend use to leave me and my best friend (her friend's kid) in the car when we were kids. Never alone. Never in the heat. We'd just sit there with the windows open half way and play games and tell jokes. Then again we were 10 years old and fully capable of opening the car door and walking out if it got too hot.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I have one of my own and I constantly check to make sure I have my keys, or a window is open, basically double check everything when we go for a drive. I never take my eyes off of him in the bath.. the list goes on. Preventing stupid shit from happening is always on my mind. That's being a parent.

Riggs

Banned
"to save my kid" assumes the kid is in immediate danger. The cops will be there far far sooner than the 30 minutes AAA said it would take them.

The kid was obviously to young to open the door himself, or herself. So yeah that mom is a shitty parent, window would of been busted pronto if I was the parent. 105F is fucking hot!

In the 1970's it was perfectly acceptable to leave your kid in the hot car while you were in the supermarket. Kids nowadays are so spoiled.

Yet some how I approve of this message.

ReBurn

Gold Member
In the 1970's it was perfectly acceptable to leave your kid in the hot car while you were in the supermarket. Kids nowadays are so spoiled.

C4Lukins

Well yeah she is a nut if she is not going to break the window.

But accidentally leaving a kid in a car is quite common. We had a thread on it recently.

Some lady who was half awake, thought she dropped her kid off at daycare. Turns out she skipped daycare, went to work and the kid boiled.

Horrible. I can see how that could happen.

I have one of my own and I constantly check to make sure I have my keys, or a window is open, basically double check everything when we go for a drive. I never take my eyes off of him in the bath.. the list goes on. Preventing stupid shit from happening is always on my mind. That's being a parent.

Being stressed as fuck is also what I assume parenting is about, stress makes mistakes happen. Were your parents perfect? I doubt it. Did they love you all the same?

99.999% of the time parents are pretty good about this sorta thing. But there's always that one random parent that fucks up. I think it happens the most w/ new parents as they're acclimating to the change in lifestyle.

I dunno, it's hard to judge too harshly. Maybe she thought incorrectly that the police have the tools to get in without breaking the window. A few minutes in the car is not going to cause injury. It doesn't take much, but 5 or so minutes is not unreasonable.

In 105 degrees F weather 5 minutes is really pushing it.

FyreWulff

My mom had a long day once and accidentally put us on the wrong bus to get to the library. We were supposed to get on the 13-south, and instead we got on the 13-west (Omaha's bus signage used to be VERY vague, as both these buses came to the same stop from the same direction).

So we ended up going to Crossroads Mall instead of the South Branch Library.

Shit happens.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Being stressed as fuck is also what I assume parenting is about, stress makes mistakes happen. Were your parents perfect? I doubt it. Did they love you all the same?

There's making silly mistakes, then there's making mistakes you can never take back. Shit happens can't excuse everything. When you have one you can see too. It's an endless battle making sure your kids don't kill themselves while making sure you don't take a tumble yourself. The kid never has a choice who their parents are so it really isn't much to expect a parent put all efffort in. Of course we know that just isn't the case in a lot of situations..

I have manual locks which I lock entirely from the inside.
I have not locked my keys in the car yet.

Someone get this man an olympic medal.

I just think it's funny that the cops broke the window anyway. In that heat (and if it's an infant) I wouldn't question breaking the window though. The less time that expires the better.

The decision to wait is super shitty but anyone criticising the initial mistake is being hyper critical IMO

I have a 15 month old boy and even though you do everything you can to make sure they are safe mistakes are still easy to make, just yesterday we were playing and he tripped and banged his head, things happen but you just have to react the best you can, this is where she fucked up

alphaNoid

Banned
I never leave my son in my car alone, even if I'm going to the ATM. You read too many stories like this or when people snatch kids for parents being lazy.

So I'm not lazy, I'll deal with him screaming at me for taking him in and out of his car seat to keep him safe and with me, instead of being lazy and pretending he's a-ok by his 2 year old self 50 or so feet away from me.

One of the most heart-wrenching articles I've read

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime? said:
The defendant was an immense man, well over 300 pounds, but in the gravity of his sorrow and shame he seemed larger still. He hunched forward in the sturdy wooden armchair that barely contained him, sobbing softly into tissue after tissue, a leg bouncing nervously under the table. In the first pew of spectators sat his wife, looking stricken, absently twisting her wedding band. The room was a sepulcher. Witnesses spoke softly of events so painful that many lost their composure. When a hospital emergency room nurse described how the defendant had behaved after the police first brought him in, she wept. He was virtually catatonic, she remembered, his eyes shut tight, rocking back and forth, locked away in some unfathomable private torment. He would not speak at all for the longest time, not until the nurse sank down beside him and held his hand. It was only then that the patient began to open up, and what he said was that he didn't want any sedation, that he didn't deserve a respite from pain, that he wanted to feel it all, and then to die.

The charge in the courtroom was manslaughter, brought by the Commonwealth of Virginia. No significant facts were in dispute. Miles Harrison, 49, was an amiable person, a diligent businessman and a doting, conscientious father until the day last summer -- beset by problems at work, making call after call on his cellphone -- he forgot to drop his son, Chase, at day care. The toddler slowly sweltered to death, strapped into a car seat for nearly nine hours in an office parking lot in Herndon in the blistering heat of July.

It was an inexplicable, inexcusable mistake, but was it a crime? That was the question for a judge to decide
click for more:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549_pf.html

I never leave my son in my car alone, even if I'm going to the ATM. You read too many stories like this or when people snatch kids for parents being lazy.

So I'm not lazy, I'll deal with him screaming at me for taking him in and out of his car seat to keep him safe and with me, instead of being lazy and pretending he's a-ok by his 2 year old self 50 or so feet away from me.

The worst is the people who get all uppity about a kid screaming too. Kids do that. It's how they express themselves before they're taught volume levels. I was at a restaurant the other day where this baby was just thrilled with itself over finally being able to vocalize, I couldn't get mad even though his screeching was bordering on grating because I was like "oh he is so proud of himself lol."

FyreWulff

The worst is the people who get all uppity about a kid screaming too. Kids do that. It's how they express themselves before they're taught volume levels. I was at a restaurant the other day where this baby was just thrilled with itself over finally being able to vocalize, I couldn't get mad even though his screeching was bordering on grating because I was like "oh he is so proud of himself lol."

Yeah, screaming kids don't bother me either. Some people think you need to "fix the situation" every time a baby starts making noise, and a lot of time they're just being grouchy or just making noise for the hell of it. I am a pro at tuning them out.

I never leave my son in my car alone, even if I'm going to the ATM. You read too many stories like this or when people snatch kids for parents being lazy.So I'm not lazy, I'll deal with him screaming at me for taking him in and out of his car seat to keep him safe and with me, instead of being lazy and pretending he's a-ok by his 2 year old self 50 or so feet away from me.

I will be this parent too. I can already tell I'm getting paranoid.

99.999% of the time parents are pretty good about this sorta thing. But there's always that one random parent that fucks up. I think it happens the most w/ new parents as they're acclimating to the change in lifestyle.

Actually my guess would be it's not when they're new, it's when they get into a routine and start working on auto pilot. I have to admit I'm far less double checking everything I do now compared to when my girl was first born. It's that general usual routine that I bet is what causes the problem where as when my girl was new I was completely paranoid about everything.

I somewhat disagree with this. I get that kids scream to express themselves, but a parent isn't helpless. Often times they're putting a baby in a situation that they shouldn't be. Say like a movie theater. Other times like a restaurant, they shouldn't just leave the kid there and saying oh well kids will be kids. My girl is 15 months and if we take her out to eat and she starts screaming, I take her outside or out of the area to calm her rather than subjecting her to everyone else. I always feel why should I ruin it for everyone else just because I want to be selfish? Parents have a certain amount of control to dealing with the situation and many parents just say screw everyone else and I can't stand that.

goldenpp72

This thread rubs me wrong, I feel there are a few too many high and mighty people up in here. Maybe I don't understand the situation, but if I were poor and left my kid in the car by accident, I'd not instantly think SMASH SMASH on my window either. Not everyone thinks rationally in a panic mode and not everyone needs to be rich to have babies, she made a bad judgement but that doesn't make her shit parent of the year for it.

It's easy to say all the things you'd do when you analyze all the things someone does wrong, not everyone works the same under pressure and not everyone has the disposable income to afford that kind of thing without at least thinking about it a little. The fact she cared about the kids well being at all puts her above a ton of parents I've met.

If the lady is rich and neglectful fine, but that's not what I read out of the story. My car has those little number pads on it to unlock from the outside, I guess this horrible woman should have bought a car like mine, dumb bitch. This isn't to say I think she did the right thing, but I don't think people ever think about what others might be going through to warrant their difference in mindset, even if it sucks.

This thread rubs me wrong, I feel there are a few too many high and mighty people up in here. Maybe I don't understand the situation, but if I were poor and left my kid in the car by accident, I'd not instantly think SMASH SMASH on my window either. Not everyone thinks rationally in a panic mode and not everyone needs to be rich to have babies, she made a bad judgement but that doesn't make her shit parent of the year for it.

It's easy to say all the things you'd do when you analyze all the things someone does wrong, not everyone works the same under pressure and not everyone has the disposable income to afford that kind of shit without at least thinking about it a little. The fact she cared about the kids well being at all puts her above a ton of parents I've met.

If the lady is rich and neglectful fine, but that's not what I read out of the story. My car has those little number pads on it to unlock from the outside, I guess this horrible woman should have bought a car like mine, dumb bitch.

This isn't to say I think she did the right thing, but I don't think people ever think about what others might be going through to warrant their difference in mindset, even if it sucks.

It's your child for god's sake. I doesn't matter if you are poor and can't afford to smash your window. You smash that fucking window like it owes you money. No, not everyone reacts the same under pressure, but everyone, fucking everyone should not let their child die in a car. I can't believe we're even having a conversation about this. And before anyone says anything, yes, i have a child.

Cookie Cutter

Neo Member
The thread said woman left kid in the car...but really...she locked her keys in the car. And the only reason she walked away from her car was to get Help. She ran in to call for help. I don't think she intentionally was going to leave the kid in the car.
The window issue is the important part.
My automatic thought wouldn't be to break the window, it would have been to call for help. But if help wasn't quick enough -I'd pull off my heels and break a window, no problem.

It's your child for god's sake. I doesn't matter if you are poor and can't afford to smash your window. You smash that fucking window like it owes you money. No, not everyone reacts the same under pressure, but everyone, fucking everyone should not let their child die in a car. I can't believe we're even having a conversation about this. And before anyone says anything, yes, i have a child.

So the car door shuts and it's locked, the first thing you do is smash the window? You don't look for your keys, you don't try to see if one of the other doors is unlocked, you don't see if there's another way of opening the door, you don't call the police, you don't call for help? You don't find any other way and you just instantly smash the window the second the door shuts?

So the car door shuts and it's locked, the first thing you do is smash the window? You don't look for your keys, you don't try to see if one of the other doors is unlocked, you don't see if there's another way of opening the door, you don't call the police, you don't call for help? You don't find any other way and you just instantly smash the window the second the door shuts?

Really? we're going to play extremes now? is that what you want?

sangreal

nothing in the OP suggests she actually left her kid in the car. You're describing someone who locked themselves out of their car. Naturally there is a time when you're leaving your car and when you get the kid out that the kid is in there by itself.

Finally, it's pretty normal for the police/fire to respond when this happens and open the car without breaking the window. The kid isn't going to die in 5 minutes

It is actually so common that if you call the police when you're locked out, they usually ask if there is a kid trapped in there

Finally, it is extremely difficult to break the window on some cars without the right tools

Really? we're going to play extremes now? is that what you want?

No, I'm just saying that you instantly don't go that route. You try other things first. While not the best decision, it's not unreasonable that she felt there was another way around it without resorting to breaking the window and that for the time being, the baby was safe. I can completely understand how someone who might just be barely making it by might not want to instantly burn money while trying to find a way to get their child out. I'd like to think that she'd break the window if it looked like the baby was going to die rather than to let it die, but that doesn't mean it's not understandable that she didn't want to break it right away.

goldenpp72

You sound like the type of person i'd imagine covering their kids ears when the word shit is murmured somewhere while you complain about it to the offender. I don't mean to offend with that comment, but you come off pretty dramatic. I don't have kids, and i'm not sure I plan to have them because I don't want to potentially live a paranoid mess like some people come off. There is a big difference between loving your child and being obsessed about every inch of their well being and development.

I know what can happen when a child is left in a car, she might not know how fast bad things can happen in that situation, you can call her ignorant, stupid, or whatever, but I think it's a bit much to judge people that harshly. What if I told you that holding your kid a lot could kill them or get them sick? Well apparently that's actually true and we should demonize anyone who does it, damn baby murderers.

Fact is, if I left my kid in a car and it's hot outside, I know what i'd do, i'd smash the window if no quick alternative was there. That's me though, I just feel no attempt is made to understand how the woman could have had her priorities a bit mixed up, when smashing a window could mean you can't pay for food or have to deal with a busted window for a long time, etc, it might cause you to think twice is all i'm trying to say. I seriously doubt in her mind it was a matter so simple as gun to the head on the child, pick the child or the window, she might have actually thought the kid would be ok for a bit.

What do I know though, she's probably an evil bitch.

nothing in the OP suggests she actually left her kid in the car. You're describing someone who locked themselves out of their car. Naturally there is a time when you're leaving your car and when you get the kid out that the kid is in there by itself.

Finally, it's pretty normal for the police/fire to respond when this happens and open the car without breaking the window. The kid isn't going to die in 5 minutes

Oh really? let's see...

I just got an email from my wife. She works as the assistant manager for a hotel here locally in so cal. She's manning the front desk when a woman runs in and asks her to use the phone. She locked her child in the car with the windows closed. It's 105 F out here in the valley today. The woman uses the phone to call AAA. They tell her that it's going to be at least 30 min before they can come out. They told her to break her window or call the cops. The woman's reply ....

"I can't afford to break my window"

She opted to wait for the cops to get there. Where ... they promptly broke her window anyway to get the child out fast and safely.

It's times like these I question my liberal beliefs and wonder if manadatory testing for a licence to be a parent is really that bad of an idea.

DR2K

Banned
What a horrible economy we must have if the life of a child is worth risking for a $100.

sangreal

Oh really? let's see...

Maybe you should read past my first sentence. Getting locked out with the kid still in the car is not the same as leaving the kid in the car (which people also do often, and will actually get you in trouble)

Why did the animals eat the pineapple?

No, I'm just saying that you instantly don't go that route. You try other things first. While not the best decision, it's not unreasonable that she felt there was another way around it without resorting to breaking the window and that for the time being, the baby was safe. I can completely understand how someone who might just be barely making it by might not want to instantly burn money while trying to find a way to get their child out. I'd like to think that she'd break the window if it looked like the baby was going to die rather than to let it die, but that doesn't mean it's not understandable that she didn't want to break it right away.

The OP says it was 105 and she ran into a hotel to ask for the phone, i don't know if she was checking in or not, but let's give her the benefit of the doubt and say she was and was just parked outside. ...So, going from that, how many times do you see news stories about how hot it gets in cars? how quickly? How many do you see about dogs and yes, even children dying because of being left in a car? Now, to be fair, we don't know how long the cops took to get there, where they promptly broke her window, but i have been just barely making it, and yes, i would have smashed my window.

You sound like the type of person i'd imagine covering their kids ears when the word shit is murmured somewhere while you complain about it to the offender. I don't mean to offend with that comment, but you come off pretty dramatic. I don't have kids, and i'm not sure I plan to have them because I don't want to potentially live a paranoid mess like some people come off. There is a big difference between loving your child and being obsessed about every inch of their well being and development.

Oh i'm sorry, what's the proper level of drama for a child locked in a car on a hot day?

TS-08

When you say "looked like the baby was going to die," do you mean the situation is such that breaking the window is the only alternative left to removing the child from the car, or are you saying the mother waits until the child starts showing physical symptoms from the heat before breaking in?

The OP says it was 105 and she ran into a hotel to ask for the phone, i don't know if she was checking in or not, but let's give her the benefit of the doubt and say she was and was just parked outside. ...So, going from that, how many times do you see news stories about how hot it gets in cars? how quickly? How many do you see about dogs and yes, even children dying because of being left in a car? Now, to be fair, we don't know how long the cops took to get there, where they promptly broke her window, but i have been just barely making it, and yes, i would have smashed my window.

The OP said it was 105, but did she know it was 105 or that it was just hot out? Do you know offhand exactly how long it takes for a baby or dog to die of heat exposure? We always hear about how someone forgot their kid and came back hours later. She was right there when it happened and likely felt she had some time to figure out a solution. Misguided? Maybe. Unreasonable? Certainly not. If she felt her child wasn't in immediate danger and was thinking there was another way to deal with it without having to break a window, dealing with the cost of repair that she can't afford, and possibly risk her car getting stolen because of the exposed access which would further put her into a financial issue, I can understand how one might not want to immediately break the window.

The OP said it was 105, but did she know it was 105 or that it was just hot out? Do you know offhand exactly how long it takes for a baby or dog to die of heat exposure? We always hear about how someone forgot their kid and came back hours later. She was right there when it happened and likely felt she had some time to figure out a solution. Misguided? Maybe. Unreasonable? Certainly not. If she felt her child wasn't in immediate danger and was thinking there was another way to deal with it without having to break a window, dealing with the cost of repair that she can't afford, and possibly risk her car getting stolen because of the exposed access which would further put her into a financial issue, I can understand how one might not want to immediately break the window.

I'm sorry, but make some good points but i just can't imagine letting my son suffer or die on an unreasonably hot day just because of financial issues. I can't, just can't wrap my head around that.

goldenpp72

Oh i'm sorry, what's the proper level of drama for a child locked in a car on a hot day?

There is no need for any amount of drama, the kid is ok and the mom did what was needed to get her child out without forcing the window through herself (which isn't as easy as it sounds btw). People are acting like this woman is some kind of evil witch and I disagree entirely based on the fact none of us know her life situation and mindset.

Some people here seem very disconnected with society and don't seem to understand that some peoples mindsets are different based on the often shittier situations they have to live in. It's easy to think hey I make 50k+ a year and breaking my window means I won't be able to buy a video game that week maybe, or have no downside at all, and then come off as some kind of hero. When your entire mindset is entrenched on how to save a penny so you can survive, you tend to think differently than someone with disposable income.

Poor or rich, people may love their children equally but they might not make the best decisions depending on their life situation, it doesn't make them bad, just ignorant or maybe bad at decision making under pressure, and really, the fact pressure was a factor at all would imply a level of care. I also understand I myself am assuming a lot in this situation, maybe she has a good job and just didn't want to not be able to pay for her xbox live subscription for the month, is a horrible neglectful bitch that should be put in jail for her crimes on humanity.

Something tells me though based on the story, she probably is very low income and does care for her child very much, even if money problems skewed her better judgement.

I'm sorry, but make some good points but i just can't imagine letting my son suffer or die on an unreasonably hot day just because of financial issues. I can't, just can't wrap my head around that.

Well good for you. I probably would have done the same after not finding another viable way of getting in within a reasonable time frame. That's not the point. The point is what she did and how she handled the situation is easily understandable. You can disagree with their decision and think you'd handle the situation differently but just because you wouldn't have done the same thing doesn't mean you can't understand her actions.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'll be honest, if I I have a kid it'll be very hard to even move if I have him/her in my hands. Moving around with a baby terrifies the shit out of me

There is no need for any amount of drama, the kid is ok and the mom did what was needed to get her child out without forcing the window through herself (which isn't as easy as it sounds btw). People are acting like this woman is some kind of evil witch and I disagree entirely based on the fact none of us know her life situation and mindset.

I don't feel like i've demonized her, nor have i called her nasty names, why don't you start quoting the people in this thread doing such things instead of me.

Well good for you. I probably would have done the same after not finding another viable way of getting in within a reasonable time frame. That's not the point. The point is what she did and how she handled the situation is easily understandable. You can disagree with their decision and think you'd handle the situation differently but just because you wouldn't have done the same thing doesn't mean you can't understand her actions.

I'm telling you right now i don't understand her actions, that i can't. I don't find them easily understandable at all.

I'm telling you right now i don't understand her actions, that i can't. I don't find them easily understandable at all.

So you can't understand how one might not felt the baby was in absolute immediate danger as in about to die in any second and felt there might be another way to resolve it while at the same time not incurring something that could financially put her in a huge bind? You think that potentially losing the car which could result in her losing her job is something she should take lightly when she does have a baby to take care of? She's not picking one over the other, she's trying to pick both.

So you can't understand how one might not felt the baby was in absolute immediate danger as in about to die in any second and felt there might be another way to resolve it while at the same time not incurring something that could financially put her in a huge bind? You think that potentially losing the car which could result in her losing her job is something she should take lightly when she does have a baby to take care of? She's not picking one over the other, she's trying to pick both.

I've said it before, i'll say it again with emphasis, You make some good points but i can't imagine not wanting to break my window on a ridiculously hot day to save my child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom