• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: PIER SOLAR HD for PC/Mac/Linux and DREAMCAST

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
In case you couldn't get enough of Pier Solar, or you wanted to play it but don't have a Genesis/Megadrive.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/pier-solar-hd-an-rpg-for-xbox360-pc-mac-linux-and

pshd_ks1280set_3.png

Looks like high-res backgrounds with some low-res elements. Character sprites remain 16-bit low-res sprites.

We wanted to keep this easter egg a secret till a little later... but since there have been so many questions about it, we decided to announce this for everyone right now!

The original SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis graphics of Pier Solar HD will be playable on every single platform, XBOX360, PC, Mac, Linux, and Sega Dreamcast.

It will be unlock-able by finding a special in game item, a "Pier Solar Mega Drive Cartridge" that is hidden somewhere in the very beginning of the game...

Once you find this, it will unlock the entire version of Pier Solar for the SEGA Mega Drive & SEGA Genesis!

PROGRESS:

• 26 Days to go - 957 backers - $75k out of $139k funded

Ath

I got a Mega Drive for my birthday this year, was thinking of picking up the cartridge if they ever reprinted it. Might wait and see how this one goes instead though.

Alej

Banned
Very very ugly. And no PS3 no founding. I don't understand why PS3 with his very open infrastructure can't welcome a gem like Pier Solar (if we don't talk about that HD SD shit)...
Awwww they're making it homebrew maybe? It's the only reason i see why it wouldn't be on PS3.

$15 gets you an XBLA download code, didn't expect to see that.

I'm rather worried about that. Microsoft only gives developers a limited number of review codes. And if they don't manage to get on XBLA and they have to go the XBLIG route, that limited amount is miniscule - a mere 50 codes.

androvsky

Very very ugly. And no PS3 no founding. I don't understand why PS3 with his very open infrastructure can't welcome a gem like Pier Solar (if we don't talk about that HD SD shit)...
Awwww they're making it homebrew maybe? It's the only reason i see why it wouldn't be on PS3.

They can't be doing XNA since they're promising achievements for the 360. Actually, they're promising achievements and trophies for the 360 version, so I wonder if they had PS3 in there and had to delete it. The only way I can think of that they're getting a real XBLA release is if they've got a fan at MS that's promised to handle publishing, and that'd explain the no PS3 part.

LegatoB

I'd rather pay for a legal ROM download of the Mega Drive version they already made, so I could use it on whatever emulators/platforms I want.

And frankly, the HD art they showed as samples looks a lot less attractive than the original low-res graphics.

I wonder why they are not targeting 3DS and Vita?

Because those are noticeably harder platforms to target than PC/X360/Mac/Linux/Xbox. Plus, you need actual contracts with Nintendo or Sony to release on the 3DS/Vita/PS3 whereas all of the platforms that they are targeting have a self-publishing option.

When they say that the X360 version will have achievements, I imagine they're assuming that their game is good enough that they'll be able to convince Microsoft to give them an actual XBLA release and not that they actually have an agreement with Microsoft yet.

Boerseun

Banned
The currently supported formats seem really ill-suited to this endeavour. Pier Solar HD seems a much better fit for OUYA and Wii U, each for different reasons, obviously. I'd certainly buy it on those formats were the developers to support them.

Takao

Banned
Because those are noticeably harder platforms to target than PC/X360/Mac/Linux/Xbox. Plus, you need actual contracts with Nintendo or Sony to release on the 3DS/Vita/PS3 whereas all of the platforms that they are targeting have a self-publishing option.

PlayStation Mobile requires no contract with Sony, and PSN is well known for being able to support self-published indies.

PlayStation Mobile requires no contract with Sony, and PSN is well known for being able to support self-published indies.

Playstation Mobile just came out last month & in some ways, it's still in beta (for example, the launch lineup was handpicked by Sony with some games that were ready for release still not available on the PSN). Also, early reports of how Playstation Mobile games are selling are weak even by XBLIG standards.

androvsky

When they say that the X360 version will have achievements, I imagine they're assuming that their game is good enough that they'll be able to convince Microsoft to give them an actual XBLA release and not that they actually have an agreement with Microsoft yet.

Vita at least has a self-publishing option, it's just not out of beta yet. :)

edit: beaten, obviously. It's supposed to be very easy to port between XNA and PS Mobile.

My thoughts after playing the first couple hours of the Genesis game:

Graphics were very authentic looking. Very Lunar-esque.
Music was decent.
The writing was pretty good.
Plot felt like stereotypical fantasy (but that could change later on).
Gameplay was a bit clunky & combat felt unbalanced.

Anyone here played through the whole game?

Rad-

I'm rather worried about that. Microsoft only gives developers a limited number of review codes. And if they don't manage to get on XBLA and they have to go the XBLIG route, that limited amount is miniscule - a mere 50 codes.

Yeah this. I kind of want to kickstart the XBLA version but can they promise the codes?

I think if they just did a straight port and asked for $20k-$30k, they could get it. However, the HD backgrounds + pixel sprites mix is likely to turn off the very same people who would be interested in this project.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't think the low res sprites and other elements look bad with the better quality backgrounds, it's kind of cool looking, and I don't think higher resolution character art would work very well with the SD style and what not. That said I think it's quite a pointless exercise, it doesn't suddenly look modern for people who wouldn't otherwise consider the game to want it because of the new backgrounds and it makes this Kickstarter needed for no reason. I'd much prefer they just ported it as is without a Kickstarter.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks terrible, as everyone else has said.

Was the original game any good?

Edit: The SD art looks fine, and the HD art looks fine. They just look really bad combined. There's probably good reason why it hasn't been done like this. Best case is doing a full HD version and giving people the option to switch between the two. I'd probably pledge in that case.

Grief.exe

I remember hearing about this game originally, you send them some money and they send you an awesome RPG in an actual genesis cart with case, manual, and all that stuff.

Unique concept to say the least.

The HD backgrounds do look gorgeous, hopefully this turns out well for them.

For those people saying $140,000 is too much, its really not. That is just over 9000 contributions at the base level, but people are already buying above that slot. $140,000 will barely cover salaries for a two man team for a year.

XGoldenboyX

Agreed!

The game is great and I pledged 130$ for the Dreamcast Version. WM does create very high quality content and packaging collectors items. I dont mind HD with sprites, after all all the Sega releases and other 2d Fighters do give the option of having them in their original form.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This thread reminded me that I needed to pick up the original on Genesis.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm disappointed nobody commented on the fact it's also coming out on the DREAMCAST. Where's the Dreamcast love?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I remember hearing about this game originally, you send them some money and they send you an awesome RPG in an actual genesis cart with case, manual, and all that stuff.

Unique concept to say the least.

Not that unique actually! There is plenty of homebrew with full physical releases; for NES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Colecovision, and even Vectrex!

product.gif

Vectrex-game-Debris-Revisited-VIP-Collectors-Edition.jpg

stonix+intellivision.png

Aeana

This is a great idea. It's a really nice game, very impressive especially considering its origins. The only real complaint I have with it is that the balance is a bit wonky at times, otherwise I highly recommend it.

Aeana

Pledged $50 for now, but I am really considering going up to the $125 tier. I hope this makes it. :\ I really want more people to be able to experience this game.

bh7812

Banned
Pledged $50 for now, but I am really considering going up to the $125 tier. I hope this makes it. :\ I really want more people to be able to experience this game.

This is one of the very few current JRPG style games I really do want to play through. I kept thinking of buying the Genesis version but everytime I leaned towards finally doing it, it was always sold out :( If this makes it, I'll get it on the 360 if it comes down to that or Dreamcast version. Don't get me wrong, for practicality reasons for me I'd really like to see it on PS3 too but if it only ends up being PC/Mac/Linux/DC/360 they'll certainly get my support for it on 360. Have read nothing but great things about the game, everything I've read has been pretty much glowing praise in fact so I hope I do get to experience it.

Yes Boss!

I'm disappointed nobody commented on the fact it's also coming out on the DREAMCAST. Where's the Dreamcast love?

That is the one that excited me the most. The VGA res should make the difference in graphic styles look better, I'm hoping.

I'm still torn between the normal and collector DC edition. I've got each of the first prints (AMAZING quality) and a reedition. You say you can pladge 50 then increase to a superior pedge ??

I don't understand the reasoning behind making random elements low-res. It clashes. They should have picked one or the other and gone with it 100%. If it had some meaning or significance to the story, then maybe... but it just seems to be an affectation.

Alexios

They're not making random elements low res, they're re-making the backgrounds in high res.

Aeana

They're not making random elements low res, they're re-making the backgrounds in high res.
That's not completely true. Aspects of the backgrounds remain in sprites, such as the branches on the plants in the interior shot.

I personally don't mind it at all though.

Gloam

Pledged a little, happy to see this getting a wider release, always looked to be an interesting game. Looking forward to playing it!

The low-res sprites don't match up with the sprites in the original. And look at big the potted plant in the house. It should be either part of the background or a sprite, yet it looks like the leaves are high-res sprites placed over a low-res background element. It's really weird and inconsistent.

Alexios

That's not completely true. Aspects of the backgrounds remain in sprites, such as the branches on the plants in the interior shot.

I personally don't mind it at all though.
I thought those are objects that they can also place in other houses etc than just there. Stuff on the wall are pixelly too.

And yeah I also don't think it looks bad.

Agree about the plant though, it should be left pixel art whole or be remade whole. Still, they are probably all in progress.

Top Bottom