• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: PIER SOLAR HD for PC/Mac/Linux and DREAMCAST

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are the devs actually licensed to develop on all of these announced platforms? What happens when they collect $200k only to realise that, oops, Microsoft/Nintendo/etc won't let us become certified developers!

EDIT: I just realised which game Pier Solar reminds me of--Beyond the Beyond. Man, what a stinker.

Rubius

I'm a little confused about the Japanese translation being the lowest stretch goal. I think the potential audience for that is fairly small (though I certainly support it, and I'm looking forward to trying it out myself).

Some japanophile think that everything is better in Japanese. I know people who play American video games in Japanese with English subtitles. Recently saw a bunch of them play Borderland 2 in Jap for the voices.

Aeana

Are the devs actually licensed to develop on all of these announced platforms? What happens when they collect $200k only to realise that, oops, Microsoft/Nintendo/etc won't let us become certified developers!

EDIT: I just realised which game Pier Solar reminds me of--Beyond the Beyond. Man, what a stinker.
It's really nothing like Beyond the Beyond at all. I understand that you don't like the game, but the style of game is much more similar to something like Lunar, even if it's lesser quality.

This game is far from perfect, but it is absolutely the most fully-realized and cohesive indie RPG effort I've played, and I really appreciate it for that. There's lots of good ideas, even if it's a bit rough around the edges.

EDIT: By the way, I agree about your concern. I'm not sure if they've even contacted the platform holders; that's a definite hurdle they'll have to cross and it might not turn out happily.

EDarkness

If they could guarantee that there would be a Wii U version, I'd put down a little cash. I guess we'll see where they are in a couple of days and go from there. Either way, I'll probably write up something about it for the site tonight.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's really nothing like Beyond the Beyond at all. I understand that you don't like the game, but the style of game is much more similar to something like Lunar, even if it's lesser quality.

This game is far from perfect, but it is absolutely the most fully-realized and cohesive indie RPG effort I've played, and I really appreciate it for that. There's lots of good ideas, even if it's a bit rough around the edges.

It reminds me of BtB inasmuch as they both feature a glut of dull, poorly-designed "puzzles" and it takes forever to level up, to the point where you feel only marginally stronger at the end then you do at the beginning. (BtB also looks a lot like a Mega Drive game with a couple extra colours here and there, which probably helps.)

Have you really never played a better indie JRPG than this one? Try Last Scenario, or Exit Fate, or the goofy Charles Barkley game.

Krelian

I'm a little confused about the Japanese translation being the lowest stretch goal. I think the potential audience for that is fairly small (though I certainly support it, and I'm looking forward to trying it out myself).
I think it's because a Japanese translation was already in the works for the Mega Drive/Genesis release and they had to cancel it at the last minute. They'll likely just finish that translation.

Dreamcast edition get!! :D
I'm quite hyped for this one. I can't wait to put my DC back in action, and with a new game too!

Only 3 days left guys, if you're still undecided now it's the time to act!

Enk

makes good threads.
Just threw in my money. Glad to see this make it and also meet nearly all of its goals.

Hiltz

The developer's kickstarter goal has been reached at $202,004. Pier Solar HD is now officially coming to Wii U eshop as well. Nice to see some RPG loving coming to all of these platforms!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rpg-for-xbox360-pc-mac-linux-and/posts/361604

note: "Don't forget about One Year at WaterMelon: The Movie - which EVERY single backer gets a free digital download of as well as every single backer $49 and up getting a special limited edition DVD of! Woot! P.S we might just have our eyes on PS3...who knows?"

EDarkness

I ordered the soundtrack and went that route so that I could just get the Wii U version when it's released. The DC version looked good, but I'll settle for the Wii U.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's bullshit that developers put Wii U as a stretch goal but aren't offering it to backers. They wanted $25k more to port it over so they can make more money.

Dropped my pledge to $5 from $15 because of it.

Aeana

Pier Solar was a hugely disappointing experience when i played through it a few months ago.

The RPGFan review sums up its shortcomings quite well.

I guess it's an issue of expectations. Since all of the indie RPGs I'd played up until it were crappy, I wasn't expecting much, and it really surprised me. But like I said, the balance is really crappy, especially in the early game, and that charge feature in battle is really poorly thought out.

Aeana

EDIT: oh yeah, I forgot all about that save "feature". Ugh.

They don't seem to have the go-ahead for any platform, as far as I can tell.

They do have a video of the game running on 360, but I don't know if they're actually certified for XBLA or just indies.

They do have a video of the game running on 360, but I don't know if they're actually certified for XBLA or just indies.
XBLIG games have a max price of $5 (I think) and certainly an MB limit they would easily surpass and developers have already noted that you are given a small limited number of promo codes. My guess is that they are working with MS for XBLA (and in turn, to supply them with the proper amount of promo codes) or they're shooting themselves in the crotch.

hanabizero

Neo Member
so glad i was able to get in on this, super bummed that i dropped my pledge to $49 for the normal dreamcast. wanted to get the collectors, sound track, and the stickers+keychain for $150. fuck trying to be responsible. might try and message them if i can squeeze back in.

androvsky

Just got the latest Gameinformer and it has an article about Pier Solar, which is a pretty big surprise given the nature of the magazine. One thing that stood out to me was that it states that it's coming to a bunch of platforms, some of which I don't even remember being mentioned as stretch goals.

I'll quote the editor's note in the online interview:
[Editor’s Note: After this interview was completed, Watermelon completed its Kickstarter with all stretch goals complete. The game will now release on Wii U, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Ouya, Android, PC, Mac, and Linx, with a retail option on Sega Dreamcast.]

I can't tell if this is the editor speculating based on the completed stretch goals or if Watermelon was able to confirm they have approval from the platforms that require it.

XGoldenboyX

Hi,

Here to show new character art for Project Y as well, also from WM

: )

tug_by_xgoldenboyx-d5ux7dk.png

rondo_by_xgoldenboyx-d5ux5f8.png

chavez_by_xgoldenboyx-d5uxj7m.png

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/

Top Bottom