• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

The 3ds is doing fine now, and arguably has one of the strongest libraries off any Nintendo console.

The Wii, DS and even 3DS to a lesser degree were huge gambles. Sometimes gambling payes and sometimes they dont.

Going with a traditional console with similiar 360 specs and taking huge losses on hardware would probably have doomed them a lot more than Wii did.

The 3DS is not doing "fine" according to Nontendo's continuously slashed predictions. It's surviving.

JordanN

Banned
It seems like there was something released during the 6th generation that came between Soul Calibur 2 being on the Gamecube and Soul Calibur 4 skipping the Wii that suggests there might be more to it than you are thinking.

Some kind of mystical third game.

Might just be my imagination.

Xbox also got screwed last gen but then look at the next. Soul Calibur IV and V later returned to Microsoft. So there's no excuse.

Nairume

Banned
Considering how games have to sell more copies than ever, I think it's almost guaranteed publishers would have done what it takes to get those games on Wii if there was power. It just would have been a Gamecube scenario where if certain games bombs, they'll hold back on some titles. But money is money.

We have a situation right no where there are still plenty of new 360 and PS3 games being made that are skipping the WiiU, despite it being more than capable of handling them.

I think you are grossly simplifying things.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
The 3DS is not doing "fine" according to Nontendo's continuously slashed predictions. It's surviving.

I love how words can be used to mean different things in a relative manner.

Is surviving not fine? In fact, isn't surviving a success after several GAFers and analysts thought it would fail completely to take off at all?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This....makes absolutely no sense.

It's DragonSworne, he's so bitter that Nintendo didn't respect his hyperbolic expectations in Japan that now he hates them, because they made him look like a fool. A fascinating change of character, in the end.

In a sense the entire situation makes me wonder if Reggie has in fact had a lot more clout and autonomy than most people thought.

The typical story is NOA as puppet of NCL, but this shake-up almost seems as if Iwata is coming in to put Reggie under far more scrutiny. As if Reggie really had been allowed to directly dictate Nintendo's marketing and product decisions in NA.

I think Reggie's main problem is he fails as a PR spokesperson. Whenever he begins a sentence with "Candidly," you know right then his answer is going to be anything but candid. It would be nice if he just leveled with us Jack Tretton-style instead of all the dodging and, at times, straight up lying.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nintendo has been very lopsided in its global strategy of late, and I hope this change alleviates that.

JordanN

Banned
We have a situation right no where there are still plenty of new 360 and PS3 games being made that are skipping the WiiU, despite it being more than capable of handling them.

I think you are grossly simplifying things.
This generation is almost done. The focus is shifting to PS4/720.

Wii U represents a "wtf?" to publishers because it's not suitable for any generation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

If 31 millions in two years is just surviving, then many products are doomed even before they're launched. Granted, Western situation must improve in a good way and this year there are good premises, but "surviving"?!? I guess "BIGGEST SUCCESS OF ALL TIME!!111!!!" or nothing for Nontendo.

...Nontendo. LOL.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS is planned to be at 49 millions for its third anniversary. Only the most successful gaming machines achieved that, right?

So he got booted from japan?
What will happen to Reggie now? :p Will he be undermined more? More power will be given to him or more will be stripped of him?

This is absolutely fucking hilarious. Whatever it means for the future of Nintendo aside, just the idea of everyone on GAF who have been grumbling for Iwata's blood being presented with this news makes me laugh so hard :)
This isn't a promotion.

D-e-f-

Banned

It's surviving in a pretty interesting way as it currently sold more than even the previous gen of home consoles at that point in their life cycle. And that while not even meeting expectations in the biggest markets? Some survival skill, I guess.

Nairume

Banned
This generation is almost done. The focus is shifting to PS4/720.
Absolutely irrelevant to what is being discussed here.

You are making the claim that developers will put games anywhere that has the power to run them because games need to be on as many platforms

And, yet, here we are, with evidence to the contrary.

AzaK

My personal opinion is that Kimishima was more of a "hold the fort down" kind of person - his position in NCL makes sense given how much Nintendo has invested in their home market and getting their consoles back on track and their operating plan is in place - Kimishima just needs to execute on the existing NCL strategy - i.e. dependability is more important than innovation for Japan now since the operating strategy is in place and sales are accelerating for them

So, it's not about whether Kimishima was good in his role at NoA - it's about whether his skills are aligned with his current role - and I think they are

Iwata being CEO of NoA is a great thing - I think he is going to make a lot of decisions to globalize Nintendo's output and really invest heavily in the Western development talent and products - further, I truly think Yamauchi encouraged him to do it - Yamauchi wanted to go to the US many times in the 80s and 90s but with his son-in-law in charge and the mutual respect Yamauchi and Lincoln had - he never did - still, even despite all of NoA's success - he always wanted Nintendo to be a global company and wanted to personally be running American operations - and I am sure with all of NoA's troubles and Iwata still being relatively young - now was the time to do it - Iwata has really improved his English over the past few years and is developing into a global CEO/President now (along with the engineering/products background which is really important)

Many people have been craving Western collaborations with Nintendo for a while - this makes those collaborations extremely likely now IMHO

I see this move akin to Larry Page giving Eric Schmidt the boot and assuming the CEO title - this is no doubt going to really, really motivate NoA when the President of the company is moving to the US and personally setting up strategy

First 100 days will go something like this:

1. Strategic review of all management personnel in the company and cleaning house + setting up JDs for new hires - I am sure Nintendo will hire head hunters to find top notch people to really increase the level of energy - recruiting will probably be totally revamped as will promotion and performance management and evaluation (something NoA has barely touched in 20 years)

2. Review of all retailer strategies and channel strategies - probably see huge boosts to Nintendo's digital strategy - double down with all retailers in terms of kiosks - probably an expansion of Nintendo World retail format - yes probably improved relationships with Amazon given they are in the same city

3. Review of all internal development and strategic expansion and collaborations - EAD Seattle? Probably more strategic collaborations and partnerships with third party developers. Retro might stay the way it is since Nintendo is happy with them now and feel they are best off managing themselves. Probably more direct investment in products like sports for example.

4. Review of all third party development and developer relations in general - Miyamoto interestingly mentioned Madden as a game that "had been refined over time" similar to Animal Crossing (interesting choice to positively comment on EA that way) - my sense is that they are going to go deep and really push to strategically rebuild third party relationships across the board
We'll see. They could/should have done a lot of this years ago if they really cared.

RM8

Where did this argument that Nintendo would automatically get better 3rd party support with nicer specs come from? Definitely not from the N64 or GCN era. Which Nintendo systems get 3rd party support these days? Their underpowered handhelds, go figure. Some people simply will never accept that Nintendo won't releae a third "HD Triplet" with Mario on top.

Brera

Banned
Damn, what's with all the meta-hate with Reggie.

Because no matter how bad Iwata is, at least he's a gamer and a programmer and knows games and was around during the golden age.

Reggie is incompetent, doesn't know shit about games and doesn't know shit full stop.

If Iwata had said he was sacking reggie and taking over NOA, I would be fully behind the move.

As it stands, Iwata is in charge and reggie now probably has more power than ever!

TheLegend

I think this is actually great for Nintendo and NoA, specifically. Performance in North America, which has seen much better days, will now fall directly on Iwata's shoulders. Those who want NCL to pay more attention to the NA market should be far happier with this situation rather than a no-name (or at least less well-known and less influential) NoA CEO because now if things don't turn around in North America, there will be no one to scapegoat. The man in charge of Nintendo as a whole and credited/blamed for ALL of NoA's performance will be one and the same. What's the sense in appointing someone else to NoA CEO who will most likely continue to be brushed aside as NoA seems to have been lately?

I'd bet Iwata will do all he can to focus on cleaning things up in North America and it will not be the afterthought it seems to be now. Whether he's able to understand the western market is another story. however, as long as Iwata is still around, I think him taking direct responsibility and a much larger stake in NA should be seen as a good thing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow...poor Iwata. He must have fucked up real bad for this to happen. :(

Also, all these titles are confusing. What's the hierarchy when it comes to President, CEO, and Chairman?

PhantomR

Banned

From claiming indies have told Nintendo to "pound dirt" to outbursts like this....your credibility is just continuing to drop like a rock. Maybe you should take a break from Nintendo news for a while?

It's DragonSworne, he's so bitter that Nintendo didn't respect his hyperbolic expectations in Japan that now he hates them, because they made him look like a fool. A fascinating change of character, in the end.

Agreed. Thoroughly.

royalan

I love how words can be used to mean different things in a relative manner.

Is surviving not fine? In fact, isn't surviving a success after several GAFers and analysts thought it would fail completely to take off at all?

No, it isn't. Not in the way people seem to imply when they point to the 3DS doing "fine."

The 3DS is doing well enough to not be considered a failure. But it's not doing well enough to be used as an example of Nintendo's strategy being successful, in my opinion.

Its performance is just sort of...there.

In a sense the entire situation makes me wonder if Reggie has in fact had a lot more clout and autonomy than most people thought.

The typical story is NOA as puppet of NCL, but this shake-up almost seems as if Iwata is coming in to put Reggie under far more scrutiny. As if Reggie really had been allowed to directly dictate Nintendo's marketing and product decisions in NA.

I never believed this "Reggie is a puppet" conspiracy theory. There's evidence to tell the otherwise. I do believe Reggie does have authonomy over NoA but he's incompetent to hold it. Iwata taking over is an indication that NCL isn't happy with Reggie's management over NoA.

jcm

If 31 millions in two years is just surviving, then many products are doomed even before they're launched. Granted, Western situation must improve in a good way and this year there are good premises, but "surviving"?!? I guess "BIGGEST SUCCESS OF ALL TIME!!111!!!" or nothing for Nontendo.

...Nontendo. LOL.

3DS is planned to be at 49 millions for its third anniversary. Only the most successful gaming machines achieved that, right?

Well, what does Nintendo say about it? This is from the Notice of Full-Year Financial Forecast Differences with its Results:

Reason for variances
The operating loss increased primarily due to the sales of "Nintendo 3DS" and "Wii U" being weaker than expected. While foreign exchange gains in Non-operating income increased, ordinary income and net income became smaller than the forecast.

But you can always count on the Nintendo enthusiasts to break out the LTD when discussing the 3DS's current performance. Or, in this case, the LTD plus a forecast that will soon be revised down, if past performance is any indication. Bravo.

JordanN

Banned
Absolutely irrelevant to what is being discussed here.

You are making the claim that developers will put games anywhere that has the power to run them because games need to be on as many platforms

And, yet, here we are, with evidence to the contrary.
If Wii U came out in 2006, I'd agree with you.

But it's 2013. Extra resources are still needed when porting these games. These resources are better off being used for the fast approaching next gen.

Edit: Some games were also in development before Wii U even existed.

RM8

No, it isn't. Not in the way people seem to imply when the point to the 3DS doing "fine."

The 3DS is doing well enough to not be considered a failure. But it's not doing well enough to be used as an example of Nintendo's strategy being successful, in my opinion.

Its performance is just sort of...there.
It's doing pretty great for a dedicated handheld device in the age of smartphones and tablets and with no Pokémon on it. I repeat, I doubt we'll see any game system match DS numbers anytime soon. Just take a look at the other current handheld and its Iwata-less glory.

royalan

Well, what does Nintendo say about it? This is from the Notice of Full-Year Financial Forecast Differences with its Results:

Reason for variances
The operating loss increased primarily due to the sales of "Nintendo 3DS" and "Wii U" being weaker than expected. While foreign exchange gains in Non-operating income increased, ordinary income and net income became smaller than the forecast.

But you can always count on the Nintendo enthusiasts to break out the LTD when discussing the 3DS's current performance. Or, in this case, the LTD plus a forecast that will soon be revised down, if past performance is any indication. Bravo.

Bingo.

wsippel

Banned
There is a chance those games could have come to Wii if it was on par w/ PS360, but no guarantee. We didn't get any GTA on Cube and Chinatown Wars bombed on DS, so that's real iffy. Irrational has no desire to work on Nintendo systems - power or no power. Nor does Crytek. All the others, I'll grant you though.

But yeah, it's more than just power at this point. It's a combination of that + poor relationships + kiddy/casual image.

Edit: Almost forgot about online infrastructure.
Crytek actually wants to, but they're not a publisher so it's not really their decision. They've ported the one thing they distribute themselves: CryEngine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If Wii U came out in 2006, I'd agree with you.

But it's 2013. Extra resources are still needed when porting these games. These resources are better off being used for the fast approaching next gen.

Featureset-wise WiiU should be close enough to the PS4/NextBox that porting wouldn't be nearly as significant as 360/PS3 to Wii, for example. It's closer to a PC game's high settings vs medium/low settings.

It's going to depend more on publishers' faith and interest in the platform, and with some games not even getting ports from PS3/360, I'd say things aren't looking good.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Reason for variances

But you can always count on the Nintendo enthusiasts to break out the LTD when discussing the 3DS's current performance.
It shows Nintendo fails at predictions, nothing more... seeing 3DS current sales, its momentum and the high probability there is to see it close to 50 million units sold in 3 years - a penetration rate only PS2, DS and Wii achieved.

PhantomR

Banned
I don't recall ever saying that.

No, that's my bad. Those weren't your exact worse, but pretty damn close:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54710874&postcount=3624

Its cute that Nintendo has two last gen consoles beat when it comes to catering to indie development, but I don't recall seeing MS and Sony play their hands when it comes to how they plan to support indies next gen.

And if the rumors are true that Durango will basically be running the full windows 8 kernel, it could very well be the most indie friendly console to start out with.

Not trying to completely knock their efforts, but Ninty has to do more than just provide the infrastructure. Just look at RIM. They created one of the most pain free infrastructures to develop for with their Cascades framework, and they're desperate for app support.

That's not stopping the indie community from pretty much paying them dust.

This is such a laughable assertion I don't even know where to begin. Notendo indeed.....

JordanN

Banned
Where did this argument that Nintendo would automatically get better 3rd party support with nicer specs come from?
Both Gamecube and Xbox got Soul Calibur II but missed III. The generation after that, only Microsoft continued to get Soul Calibur.

AzaK

Thats what confuses me about this move. Iwata knows Japan well, but it almost seems as if he is mystified by the west. Why did he decide to do this now instead of a year or two ago? Seems like Yamauchi put him on notice.
A year or two? He should have done it ( assuming its a move to be more western friendly) when he joined.

I'm not convinced it will be good for western markets because everything Nintendo's done to date shows they don't care/understand. But I really have zero understanding of how much influence various employees of the regions have had.

Because no matter how bad Iwata is, at least he's a gamer and a programmer and knows games and was around during the golden age.

Reggie is incompetent, doesn't know shit about games and doesn't know shit full stop.

If Iwata had said he was sacking reggie and taking over NOA, I would be fully behind the move.

As it stands, Iwata is in charge and reggie now probably has more power than ever!
Reggie got us this

Elite_Beat_Agents.jpg

He can do no wrong.

Brera

Banned
Where's elite beat 2 or ounden 3?

Reggie and Iwata killed that series after it was more awesome than anything else on the DS.

StevieP

Banned
Both Gamecube and Xbox got Soul Calibur II but missed III. The generation after that, only Microsoft continued to get Soul Calibur.

You need to let go of the idea that hardware power is why Nintendo doesn't get support already. For the most part, in most cases, that isn't it.

FyreWulff

SCIII was moneyhatted by Sony. SC5 missed Wii U due to timing.

Considering Namco is codevving Smash, I'd expect to see SC 6 on Wii U.

RM8

So based on one series we're going to dismiss the fact that N64 and GCN were pretty weak 3rd-party-wise despite their specs. I can make the point that N64 barely got any fighter from Namco, Capcom or anyone.

JordanN

Banned
Featureset-wise WiiU should be close enough to the PS4/NextBox that porting wouldn't be nearly as significant as 360/PS3 to Wii, for example. It's closer to a PC game's high settings vs medium/low settings.

It's going to depend more on publishers' faith and interest in the platform, and with some games not even getting ports from PS3/360, I'd say things aren't looking good.
Nah, the gap is still big.

A 1.8 Tflop DX11 level GPU completely wrecks Nintendo from a mile.

If Nintendo was smart, they could have targeted something low end but still modern like a Radeon HD 6570 level GPU. But now they have to face the consequences (of being cheap) again.

PhantomR

Banned
We'll see. They could/should have done a lot of this years ago if they really cared.

Coulda woulda shoulda.

Nintendo is absolutely kicking ass when it comes to engaging indie game development...RIGHT NOW. Yes they "coulda" had better Wiiware policies. And yeah, they "shoulda" had better promotion of indie titles. That is in the past, what matters is the here and now. And right now, in this space, Nintendo is the shit....and indies are responding.

Same goes for other initiatives (publisher support, more product line integration, etc). What matters is what's going to happen right now, versus continuously brooding over "Nintendo shoulda done this or that".

nekomix

Reason for variances

You're totally right. Predictions aren't arguments. And wasn't 3DS profitable only since September ? So, in this case, meeting expectations was really important because they needed to recoup costs of their slashing at time. But sales wise, it's not so bad, worse than the beast DS so not good for investors, I think that's what means most of those (like me) who say that 3DS issue is not that bad, only sales wise. Concerning the economical point...

Meelow

Banned

If Nintendo was smart, they could targeted something low end but still modern like a Radeon HD 6570 level GPU. But now they have to face the consequences again.

Difference is, Wii was a GameCube overspeced, the Wii U has a modern GPU, 1/1.5GB for games, and a GPGPU like PS4/720 will have.

There is a difference between what the Wii was compared to PS3/360 and Wii U to PS4/720.

If Nintendo was smart, they could targeted something low end but still modern like a Radeon HD 6570 level GPU. But now they have to face the consequences again.

It's like you didn't even read what he said. Feature set. Wii was completely incapable of doing a lot of things the 360/PS3 could. It wasn't just a case of massive scaling down, it was just not possible. Not to mention a 20x gap compared to a 4/5x for the Wii U

royalan

No, that's my bad. Those weren't your exact worse, but pretty damn close:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54710874&postcount=3624

This is such a laughable assertion I don't even know where to begin. Notendo indeed.....

And? The part you bolded was clearly in reference to Blackberry. I don't see you addressing the point I was making in that threa d about Nintendo needing to do more than just provide an infrastructure, or how that has shit all to do with anything I've said in this thread.

But humor me and pick a place to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom