• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

Wouldn't it be funny if Kamiya is doing this on purpose to get attention for the game?

Isn't he doing an Iwata Asks soon? I'm sure he'd bring this up either on the record or off.

VariantX

Nintendo doesn't advertise well in advance, usually.

They should know this by now that it really bites them in the ass when it comes to new product awareness. You can't treat a new IP like you treat a mario franchise game that people will pick up on name alone. Nintendo directs do not expand the audience, only maintain the one they already have. Word of mouth can't sell enough games when not enough eyes see it in the first place.

Huh? Of course it's a game and you "Generally press buttons" and "use the stick to move around"

Do we know how the battery meters work? No. Do we know if characters have power ups or special moves? No. Do we know if you can jump or block? No.

When I ask questions like these about simple mechanics, the reality is the majority of mainstream gamers don't know how this game plays.

And what I'm saying is that those are specific things that don't need to be known in-depth for somebody to say "I know what this game is about, and I know whether or not it interests me."

Here's a one-sentence summary: The Wonderful 101 is a fast-paced beat-em-up from the creators of Bayonetta, where a team of superheroes act as one unit, transforming into deadly weapons to take down hulking mechs.

When you say that we don't know how the batteries work, whether characters have special moves, if we can jump or block... well, firstly, I do know most of those things just from watching the video, but secondly, those things aren't really important for forming a general understanding of the game.

It's like if a new shooter came out and you thought it looked A+ fantastic, but you criticized the early coverage because "Well does it have a sniper rifle? How much damage does each machinegun round do? Where are the respawns located on each level?"

Wonderful 101 looks generally like any other Platinum game. You beat things up. You slow down time. It borrows gestures from Okami but seems to fit them more quickly into the second-to-second gameplay. There is a jump, there is a block, there is an air-dodge, the characters have the special abilities to turn into swords, guns, fists, a jet.

They act as a unit, but it's not Pikmin. You're not giving orders or commands. Each character is essentially brought into the main character, acting as a part of him, working as one to take down enemies.

Somebody who's played it, absolutely feel free to correct me on any of this, because I have not. I just think most of these questions are readily apparent from watching a short segment of video, and that this game is really not as complex as people make it out to be. It's a Platinum beat-em-up. It's what they do. It has diverse, original ideas. That's also what they do. I didn't have to understand the roulette wheel to know I'd like God Hand. I didn't have to understand exactly how painting works to know whether I'd enjoy Okami.

People look at this and they look at Pikmin and they say "Gosh, I have to choose one of these games, which will it be!?" But if you really watch a video of this for even a minute, I think it's pretty readily apparent what's going on. Platinum is doing what Platinum does, and they're doing it with their own vision and unique style.

Shauni

I love Platinum to death, but I've come to terms with the fact that their games, for whatever reason, just don't sell. I don't know if marketing could save Wonderful 101 or not. Maybe it could've, but I smell the scent of another great, quality game either bombing or underperforming. I fear for the company's future sometimes, it seems their only hope lies in one of their games becoming an unexpected, sleeper hit and/or to keep getting occasional gigs on others franchises (like MGSR) between their own games. But while I fear, I'm glad their out there making the games they are.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People is really having a hard time understanding that games made with Nintendo's money and published by the company won't land on other platforms, right...?

Nintendo has even been treating W101 as a new first-party IP and said so in interviews at E3. They paid Platinum to design and develop it for them and it is stamped with P*'s style.

It's also released the same week as GTA V in NA...

What? That is... bad. Like really bad.

GTA V isn't coming to Wii U so not sure how that affects Wii U owners..

Doesn't matter, the entirety of the gaming industry/press/community's attention and hype will be completely focused on GTA. Nobody (except a really small niche) is even going to be paying attention to W101. It was delayed right? It should have been release right about now, and it would fare much better off.

Now it's going to be caught between the GTA, fall blockbusters, and console releases hype train, and if Nintendo still won't do much to market it, it has basically been sent out to die.

-

Also, I wonder if W101 bombs will it sour the relationship between Nintendo and Platinum, especially Kamiya. Given the amount of effort and money being put into the game, along with Ninty's lack of marketing, I'd imagine they might not be to happy with the sales.

I love Platinum to death, but I've come to terms with the fact that their games, for whatever reason, just don't sell. I don't know if marketing could save Wonderful 101 or not. Maybe it could've, but I smell the scent of another great, quality game either bombing or underperforming. I fear for the company's future sometimes, it seems their only hope lies in one of their games becoming an unexpected, sleeper hit and/or to keep getting occasional gigs on others franchises (like MGSR) between their own games. But while I fear, I'm glad their out there making the games they are.
Thats why they rather make games for other companies, they get the full funding and probably get income too. When their games break out is probably when they will be ready to break out on their own.

And what I'm saying is that those are specific things that don't need to be known in-depth for somebody to say "I know what this game is about, and I know whether or not it interests me."

Here's a one-sentence summary: The Wonderful 101 is a fast-paced beat-em-up from the creators of Bayonetta, where a team of superheroes act as one unit, transforming into deadly weapons to take down hulking mechs.

People look at this and they look at Pikmin and they say "Gosh, I have to choose one of these games, which will it be!?" But if you really watch a video of this for even a minute, I think it's pretty readily apparent what's going on. Platinum is doing what Platinum does, and they're doing it with their own vision and unique style.

I don't spend $60 bucks on so little information. Sorry. These things may be apparent to you, but I am dense and need marketers to spell things out for me. That's just the way it is. And how much of the 2013 holiday Wii U audience knows that "Platinum is doing what Platinum does?"

Probably because the marketing campaign would be a lot more expensive than making the game.

Considering Kamiya said it cost 1.5 times Bayonetta dev costs, I wonder how much Nintendo would be willing to spend on print and website banner ads, etc...

They ran ads on Cartoon Network for Lego City in March when they knew the system was dead as early as January.

zoukka

I don't spend $60 bucks on so little information. Sorry. These things may be apparent to you, but I am dense and need marketers to spell things out for me. That's just the way it is. And how much of the 2013 holiday Wii U audience knows that "Platinum is doing what Platinum does?"

That's so weird, how can it be cheaper in europe :eek: It's always the other way around.

Mr. Robot

I'm really interested in this game, but i must have to say that i don't really have a clue about what it is about, i have followed it since it was announced, and what i get about it is that it is kinda like Bayonetta, in a way that you are exploring a level and then have enemy fights, also the videos where you need to mash a button to make a big attack also remind me of Bayo.

Anyway, i'm getting this day 1 since i like the Viewtiful Joe styled heroes and it has 5 player multi...

faridmon

Its not only Nintendo, but Platinum games have released any exposure on it. I still don't know what exactly that game is.

WIll it come out at retail or is it just a downloadable game? Hopefully retail for their sake.

According to Kamiya, it's 20 hours long plus replayable, and it costs 1.5 times as much as Bayonetta to make. It's a full game, dawg... just a game that no one knows anything about, lol

Its not only Nintendo, but Platinum games have released any exposure on it. I still don't know what exactly that game is.

Because Nintendo has to approve that first?

Well, I was talking to you and not to the 2013 WiiU audience. So, it's definitely clear to me that Nintendo needs to take a stronger marketing approach to this game, because it's very quirky and is aiming to reach a consumer base on a struggling console. In that regard, Nintendo definitely needs to do their all to say "hey, we have games, we have great games, check out this great game."

But from the sounds of things, you're already interested, and you want to know whether or not to purchase the game, but you don't want to look at what's available to you to find out. It's not like a minute-long TV spot would say "Hey, check out these batteries, check out this jump dodge, check out this block." It'd say "hey, this is from the creators of Bayonetta, the most critically acclaimed action game of this/last gen, here are some sweetass cinematics, here are some sweetass combat moves, here are some stylish graphics."

That minute-long tv spot would get people interested, so they watch some of that Gamespot video, so they see that it's Platinum doing what they do best, so they learn about the fundamental mechanics. Developers rarely ever go into detail on the core mechanics of their games. They say "This is a game about beating crap up, we're very excited to show it, there's 20 hours of gameplay and a ton of unique ideas involved, we've worked very hard to make this the type of deep action game that people expect from Platinum."

You want to know X, Y, and Z specific mechanics. But those are things that developers *never talk about*. People are being willfully obtuse because whoa, this game looks fresh and original, maybe way too original. They refuse to wrap their minds around it because it's not exactly what they've always seen. They take on grace that the next Halo is going to have assault rifles and plasma pistols that shoot with the right trigger and switch with Y, but feel the need to ask of this game questions that *developers never answer about any game* instead of trusting that there's some kind of basic working functionality, and trusting that reviewers will say whether it works in detail when the game comes out.

It's like people see a ton of characters onscreen and their brain just shuts down. What is this? What's happening here? Is he using the trigger for this move or is that stylus control? How is he walking? What's the punch button?

Wonderful 101 is a beat-em-up action game from a developer renowned for their beat-em-up action games and their fresh ideas. It has a unique graphical style from a developer known for their unique style. There are gestural controls from a developer who has a previous history of using gestural controls. There are large-scale action sequences from a developer lauded for their large scale action sequences. But good god, there are a number of characters onscreen? What is this madness? How does this work? How do I charge batteries?

LAA

Really?
I thought TW101 has been pushed quite a bit by Nintendo, though admittedly, they can do more, (Hoping for an NDirect soon to talk about the summer update for starters...)
Not like they really promote 3rd party games, so they're being promoted better than them anyway, I think they need to show more gameplay though, I'm not even really sure what its about and the gameplay of it, but I dont really have much interest in it atm anyway, I was going to wait for reviews and see what I make of it then.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is the problem Nintendo or that the majority of gamers buying games nowadays have very narrow tastes?

Both.
Nintendo really could push the game some more.
But the public is far more interested in shooters and "matoor" games.

We need a crash. Now.

He really ought to have made his peace with the idea of the game flopping before now.

No kidding. I mean, it is on a console that isn't performing particularly well, and it's a third-party game on a Nintendo console, so what did he expect? There is a bit of history to look at there.

That being said, the one thing this game might have going for it is a desire by WiiU owners for anything new.

watershed

Banned
Kamiya is sensing that this game isn't going to be very successful in terms of sales and I think he's gonna be proven right.

I understand the premise, but every video I've seen looks confusing as hell. I can understand why he's pissed, especially since there is a general lack of advertising all together for the game.

Most non-serious gamers know next to nothing about the WiiU. I wouldn't know much about it if I didn't join GAF.

he's right. put this shit on 360/PS3-4 with the right marketing and people would be hyped beyond belief.

and which publisher would have picked it up? Even Bayonetta, a relatively popular game that people know of had to have Nintendo step in to publish because nobody else would.

It's a difficult game to market. I'm excited for it and I barely understand whats happening in footage of it.

This is the problem.

For those saying, "What's so hard to understand?" it's not like we're going out of our way to be obtuse. Well-informed GAF members are confused. If we're confused, imagine what the general audience (not casuals, your average gamer) is thinking who may not be familiar with past Platinum titles. To them, it's just a bunch of beautfiul, but random shit happening in an unfortunately-titled unfamiliar game.

I'm as much as fan of Hideki Kamiya action games as anybody, and the footage confuses me, too. I'm hyped for the general idea and the pedigree behind this game, but when I see the demos...maybe cuz the people playing it suck but IDK, it's kinda...all over the place.

Linkhero1

The people playing do suck ;p

Nintendo needs to setup kiosks for this game everywhere. Release a demon the Wii U eShop while you're at it. Sadly, they probably won't do either.

Bizazedo

I'm just going to throw out there that the name "Wonderful 101" is a horrendous title and tells me nothing about the game.

And this is coming from someone who thinks the Wonderful 101 is the only thing that has even tempted me to get a Wii U system. Would've worked probably, too, if next gen machines weren't coming.

Top Bottom