• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago Speedathon (October 4-6 aka starting TODAY!!)

Dm5R7p8.png

A bunch of speedrunners are meeting up in Chicago and having a marathon on Romscout's channel (http://twitch.tv/romscout) to get some awesome people to AGDQ! A lot of these runners have been active members of SDA and SRL for many years and will be providing a LOT of entertainment on the weekend of October 4-6! They will be looking to raise about $6000 for everyone we want to help attend AGDQ, and the list of people we are helping includes Lindsey King, ssskinner (Samm) and her husband Dan, 0xa101 (Adrian), Klaige, J, and Houser. This will prove to be one of the most fun community marathons this year! Some of the incentives and bid wars will be absolutely nutso, too. GET HYPE!

Here is the most important stuff you might need!
General info/FAQ
Schedule/incentives
Donate!
Donation tracker

Here are some highlights of the marathon and its schedule to look forward to:
- Speedruns by longtime runners who have proven to be entertaining at several marathons, including Cosmo, MechaRichter, Murphagator, Klaige, puwexil, ssskinner, Uyama, and romscout.
- Some potentially intense bid wars that will be super hype, including the classic save/kill the animals choice in Super Metroid, Morris vs. Lecarde in CV Bloodlines, a choice of romscout doing Pacifist or Cosmo doing low% in SotN, and a battle between two of the most highly regarded Final Fantasy games ever, FF6 vs. FF7.
- A ridiculous awful games block that might even trump the upcoming AGDQ's. This includes some legendary poverty madness like Ninja Kun, Pac Man 2, Trio the Punch, fan favorites Sub Terrania and Earnest Evans, and more!

This will be some incredible fun for everyone watching and attending, and you don't want to miss out! Start spreading the word to friends! Here's the quick details again, for emphasis!

When: October 4-6, 2013. Starting at 2:00 PM CDT (UTC-5).
Where: http://twitch.tv/romscout
Why: Getting some of the most awesome people in the speedrunning community to AGDQ

Thoraxes

I’m in the Chicago area and want to attend. Can I do so?
Unfortunately, because this is in someone’s apartment, we can’t let random visitors in. If you are friends with any of the runners, then you’re welcome to call us/text us and ask to come over, but otherwise there’s no chance, sorry!

Dang. I wanted to go.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hyped about MechaRichter but no PJ. Their Battletoads and Double Dragon speedrun is one of the funniest speedruns on AGDQ

PJ doesn't live near Chicago, sadly.

Cosmo's doing a Wind Waker HD run, it says so in the schedule.

Oh okay, so they settled on it then. I remember a few days ago it wasn't sure because of the differences between the games. I stand corrected however (I didn't check the schedule yet!). :)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Cosmo's doing a Wind Waker HD run, it says so in the schedule.

I'll tune in for at least that, since I'm not busy then. :\

Velcro Fly

As a Chicago dude myself, I'll have to tune in for this as much as I can. Will compete for my attention with football and my own vidya gaming.

Velcro Fly

will watch but hate these promos that think everyone knows what AGDQ means? what is it? :D

Awesome Games Done Quick.

Big speedrunning marathon for charity every January. This past year they raised 448k for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

This is basically to raise money for runners to travel to wherever the marathon will be held next January.

B_Boss

Wow....an event this awesome in my hometown? and involving a disease that close to the heart (figuratively speaking). Wishing you all the very very best.....I wish I could attend.

Nobody benefiting from Chicago Speedathon is running anything at AGDQ. This is to raise money for people to have a holiday at the marathon.

Klaige would be running a game (CV Bloodlines), Houser would be providing commentary, Lindsey King drew the banners for the event. Plus all of them would be helping during the marathon.
It's not like you're paying for their vacation.

And: You don't have to donate if you don't want to.

Klaige would be running a game (CV Bloodlines), Houser would be providing commentary, Lindsey King drew the banners for the event. Plus all of them would be helping during the marathon.
It's not like you're paying for their vacation.

And: You don't have to donate if you don't want to.

Yeah, rechecking the AGDQ14 games list I see Klaige is on there. My bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people shouldn't donate. They can do whatever they want with their own money, and if they think this is worthwhile, more power to them.

I'm likely to tune in at some point over the weekend anyway so they'll probably get a few cents ad revenue from me all the same.

FYC

Banned
Metal Wolf Chaos is just about over, next is Mike Uyama with Sunset Riders.

The voice acting in MWC is something else.

Revven

I've missed a lot because I had to go to bed last night (and was playing GTA:O) but the current game on is pretty interesting, even if it's a RPG (and I typically don't watch RPG speedruns).

Gameboy415

I just watched the last ~30 mins of the Illusion of Gaia run. :)

I loved that game as a kid and, even though I still have my original cart, I'd love to see it show up on Wii U's VC someday!

Cosmo is up doing the Commander Keen games, after that will be the Castlevania block! :)

Edit: I derped, sorry, after it will be Seiken Densetsu 3 coop, but THEN the CV block'll happen.

Top Bottom