• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegetables are disgusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

EDIT: January 17, 2014 update

So, I'm 30, and I think that vegetables are disgusting.

Now, I'll say upfront that I have a good idea of why I feel this way - when I was a child, I wasn't forced to eat anything really, since my mother had been forced to eat peas when she was a child despite the fact that she hated them. I would certainly imagine that, if I had been made to eat vegetables when I was younger, I would at least be alright with them.

But, anyway, I have horrible eating habits, I know that. (Pasta, chicken, and breads constitute the vast majority of what I eat). The thing is, I had a stroke earlier this year. And, while they didn't say that it was because of any health or diet-related thing, or tell me that I needed to do anything differently, my wife has been trying to get me to eat better (which she has tried to do before, and it's failed. But, trying again at least).

Anyway, yesterday she had me try to eat some broccoli that she had cooked. It tasted like mushy grass. She tried putting some melted cheese on it, and it tasted like grass mixed with cheese, and it tasted like grass mixed with cheese. Today we tried just having it raw, and it literally tastes like I'm eating grass. I keep gagging on it, and can't swallow it. Tried putting it inside a piece of cheese, and same thing. It's not like I'm not trying, I just can't do it.

Now, carrots and corn are alright, if those count, so that's at least something. But other than that, I'm just not sure how I'm going to do this. I've tried eating different vegetables before too, and same thing. And even, for an example, I don't like potatoes regardless of how they're prepared - don't like potato chips, don't like french fries, etc. Me and vegetables just don't get along.

Blech

Camp Lo

Banned
Broccoli is the shit, man. I dunno what you're talking about. So good.

Sweet_Tomatoes.gif

You just don't know, OP.

What are you, 12?

I can't imagine a grown ass man going "ewwww vegetables!" Like, "I want a hamburger, hold the lettuce, and onions, and tomatoes, and..."

c'mon son

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Broccoli is the shit, man. I dunno what you're talking about. So good.

Steamed broccoli and carrots are godly, and this is coming from a guy who's not all that hot on veggies. I guess it all depends a lot on the style/quality of how they're prepared.

entremet

Stroke at 30? Good to see you're doing well, but man fix that diet.

Have you tried different cooking methods--stir fry, roasting, grilling?

You may be a super taster. Super tasters find most veggies very bitter.

Manu

I'm with OP. I can eat some vegetables (I love spinach, for example) but trying to eat something like lettuce feels like I'm just chewing on tree leaves or something. I hate it.

But vegetables grow out of the earth, so it's like you're eating a part of the planet -- it's so cool!

I agree they don't all take particularly nice. Try mixing them with other foods like baked beans (also a vegetable), ketchup (mushed up vegetable) or gravy.

Malvolio

I rebooted my tastebuds by eliminating soda and fast food. It's amazing how you miss out on the subtle flavors offered by healthier foods when you are constantly carpet-bombing your palate with sugar and salt.

terrisus

You had a stroke at 30?!

What did they say was the cause?

Bleeding on the brainstem. Which apparently just "happened."
I also had cancer at 27. Again, no reason (don't smoke or anything), it just "happened."

I seem to have great luck with these things.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Go travel and expand your palette by force. You'll probably eat stuff you wouldn't ordinarily eat but grow to love, and many of those things will have vegetables in them.

Woorloog

Banned
Cooked vegetables are horrible. Raw they are better, and very good if they happen to be good (something of a gamble here, especially in winter).

Try fruits (and fruit-like things). Raw vegetables.

Takuan

You had a stroke at 30 and your doctors didn't advise on any lifestyle changes? What was it, some congenital defect?

You could try blending green shakes if you have trouble eating them raw. Based on your current diet, it's inevitable that you'll run into complications sometime down the road.

Edit: Ah, random brainstem bleeding... cripes. And you had cancer three years ago. Maybe the doctors figure you might as well eat what you want because you won't be around much longer. :p

You may be a super taster. Super tasters find most veggies very bitter.

Yep, I suspect this of myself, and a lot of veggies and fruits are bitter/sour to me.

It's all in the seasoning though. I will eat the shit out of baby spinach with blue cheese and paprika. I love broccoli and cheese with salt.

Bleeding on the brainstem. Which apparently just "happened."
I also had cancer at 27. Again, no reason (don't smoke or anything), it just "happened."

I seem to have great luck with these things.

Ah man, that sucks :( I imagine the cancer and the stroke were connected though, in some way. I hope you don't have anymore things just 'happen' in the future.

terrisus

What are you, 12?

I can't imagine a grown ass man going "ewwww vegetables!" Like, "I want a hamburger, hold the lettuce, and onions, and tomatoes, and..."

c'mon son

To be fair, I don't like hamburgers (or hot dogs) either.
I just have some strange tastes in general.

It's not like I'm just going "Ewww, vegetables!" though, I am trying them... I just keep gagging on them.

Yeah I hate vegetables to. I've tried to eat salad and it just tasted like nothing. Haven't tasted any other kinds of vegetables for a long time but I imagine I still wouldn't like them much.

I do like green beans though.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I'm not overly fond of vegetables in general but I'll eat them out of necessity.

I feel the same way about other vegetables that I do about beans. I don't dislike beans and I'll eat some if they're there but I never really crave them.

studyguy

I'm 28 and have never eaten an eggplant.
I've always wondered what they tasted like. I'd imagine it's like soy or something... I've always wanted to try new things, even if they fucking blow. The only way to learn if you like something or not is to try it after all.

My girlfriend on the other hand is incredibly picky when it comes to food. Won't eat seafood, spicy food or anything that looks too foreign. There's been this Indian food joint that's apparently great that I've wanted to go to for ages. Just can't with her. Terribly annoying.

I can't understand how people shut themselves out of eating delicious foods because it's unfamiliar. But I digress, this is about vegetables. Eat them.

I used to hate tomato, I still sorta do. My cousin eats them raw like apples! I've learned to love them sliced up in salads, sandwiches, salsas and various other foods. Just can't handle them in too big a chunk at once, but otherwise... man they're good.

entremet

To be fair, I don't like hamburgers (or hot dogs) either.
I just have some strange tastes in general.

It's not like I'm just going "Ewww, vegetables!" though, I am trying them... I just keep gagging on them.

Gagging? Have you been tested for any food allergies?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There's nothing wrong with thinking things are disgusting. If your end goal is to eat healthier them you need to find things that both taste good and are healthy for you.

He could be allergic or it could be the pesticides or something.

That pasta is turning your insides into glue. Just saying. Sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers, grilled leek with parmesan, get a hold of yourself man.

And that powerful gas after that lets you know you ate something good, love it.

reaver18

Tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, cucumbers..so good

Cmon man...youre like a friend of mine. He refuses to eat anything but meat and starch, no vegetables in his diet. Blows my mind.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There are lots of different vegetables. I hate sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower but love asparagus, broccoli, parsnips, try a bunch and see what you like. They don't all taste the same, only toddlers think that.

Pein

Banned
broccoli soup maybe? it hides the taste if you add cream or cheese in to it.

Veggies are the shit, but some brocolli, garlic and olive in a pan and fry it for a few minutes and its delicious.

terrisus

Ah man, that sucks :( I imagine the cancer and the stroke were connected though, in some way. I hope you don't have anymore things just 'happen' in the future.

One of the doctors went through things to find if there was any connection (I also had hydrocephalus as a child, so between those three things), and didn't find anything. Not to say there wasn't a connection, but they didn't find anything at least.

I just have great luck with these things apparently.
Would be nice if I could have had great luck with something more beneficial though.

tbm24

You'll get used to them if you keep trying to eat them and inevitably may end up liking them. It may be hard at first but you'll thank yourself later.

Piecake

Corn is a grain, and not a very good one at that.

Honestly, if you don't like vegetables it probably has something to do with your taste buds being saturated with too much sugar. What does that do? Makes everything that isnt loaded with sugar taste like nothing.

So yea, the first thing you can do is get rid of sugar. Start eating meat, whole grains, dairy and fruit. That diet isnt perfect, but hopefully after a while your taste buds will return to normal so you can start eating and enjoying vegetables. If you want sugar, or something sweet, just eat fruit.

It also could be the way you prepare them. Brussle sprouts and asparagus are awesome. How do you make them? Bake brussle sprouts, but douse them in olive oil and salt and pepper. They are quite good. Asparagus? steam them and slab butter (real butter, not cancer margarine) salt and pepper all over it.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Spinach and basically just include that in everything I eat from pasta sauce, to eggs, to just plain spinach salad. And just include veggies in your meals, like spagehti. Throw in peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc into your sauce so you are tasting it with something, not eating it by itself.

For example, i hate tomato by itself (yes, a fruit), but quite enjoy it when its in a dish.

Pastry

Banned
I'm 28 and have never eaten an eggplant.
I've always wondered what they tasted like. I'd imagine it's like soy or something... I've always wanted to try new things, even if they fucking blow. The only way to learn if you like something or not is to try it after all.

My girlfriend on the other hand is incredibly picky when it comes to food. Won't eat seafood, spicy food or anything that looks too foreign. There's been this Indian food joint that's apparently great that I've wanted to go to for ages. Just can't with her. Terribly annoying.

I can't understand how people shut themselves out of eating delicious foods because it's unfamiliar. But I digress, this is about vegetables. Eat them.

I used to hate tomato, I still sorta do. My cousin eats them raw like apples! I've learned to love them sliced up in salads, sandwiches, salsas and various other foods. Just can't handle them in too big a chunk at once, but otherwise... man they're good.

Eggplant is awesome. I make a mean pizza where you replace tomato sauce with eggplant sauce.

is your SO a bad cook? Easiest way to eat veggies is to take a bunch of root veggies cauliflower broccoli onions garlic drizzle the shit with olive oil and roast the fuck out of them.

I cannot do brussel sprouts anyway they are cooked. No matter what that underlying bitter as hell flavor shines through, and I can't stomach it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom