• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2013 Thread: Fail Of The Year

mr stroke

ANH5X.jpg

Who will dethrone last years winner?

38 Studios

1ZHzC.jpg

YoVGe.jpg

KlGxA.jpg

DQ9Av.jpg

2012 Results Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506244

2012 Voting Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504809

2011 winner-PSN HACK

2011 Results Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457506

2011 Voting Thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455816

2010 winner--NBA ELITE-

2010 Thread-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416692

2009 winner-PSPGO

2009 Thread-

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=381644

In the tradition of GOTY, we look at the sad side of gaming. 2013 is about over so what was the years biggest Failure?

Rules

Since many people only play quality titles your vote can be any one game or anything related to the
gaming industry-(Wii U sales, Ouya, VGX, Xbox One used games/always on, Vita, Battlefield 4 online, Sim City drm, etc......)

Only one top vote counts(since the list encompasses everything), everything else will be an honorable mention.

Voting closes 12-30-13

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
38 Studios aside, it's a pretty close tie between Wii U sales and Sim City for me. I think the slight edge goes to Sim City's massive failure simply because of how excited everyone was for it right up to release.

1. SimCity. And I don't even care about Sim City.

2. Xbox One, pre-revision. I put it below SimCity because at the very least, that one was fixed before release.

3. Nobody giving a damn about The Wonderful 101.

Derrick01

Banned
Edit: Changing my vote from BF4 to EA in general.

Why EA?

-The BF4 fiasco
-Sim City mess
-NBA Live is still a colossal joke. Madden is too.

Mononoke

Banned
Xbox One's marketing surely was a massive failure.

I wish we could loop EA into one. Sim City + Battlefield 4 was unacceptable.

Eusis

The Xbox One unveiling in general, though I think EA completely screwing up their key online games deserves runner up status. Just seems like misfire after misfire whether it's the disastrous Sim City launch, the crash prone BF4, or even the relatively tame "why is this built around an online mode no one interacts in anyway?" Need for Speed Rivals.

massoluk

Banned
It's really hard to pick when there are so many excellent contenders these years.

I'll go with Xbox One pre-launch fail, the whole package, not a day go by without a new PR bomb.

Vibranium

Banned
I'll go with the Xbox DRM fiasco and 180 Day. Just ridiculous and Don Mattrick, who kickstarted the gaming scene on the west coast of Canada, showed how rich and out of touch with the audience he's gotten. Now he continues to laugh his way to the bank at Zynga with his massive mansions...

Just a huge failure and to think Microsoft could have avoided this in the drawing room.

Everything that happened to Microsoft and the Xbox One in the build-up to its launch. It's rare to see a company put a foot wrong at every turn like Microsoft did with the Xbone since its unveiling. They couldn't even explain its unique method of used game selling and sharing without confusing the fuck out of everybody.

Xbone for sure.

Every stage has been pretty much a disaster - design (underpowered), reveal (focus on sports, sports, sports), DRM, overpriced, focus on US and UK markets only for the most part.

The biggest system differentiator doesn't even have a flagship title released for it (Kinect).

And whenever you have a major executive leave just prior to launch, that tells you all you need to know about the company's confidence and direction in their product.

Time will tell if their mistakes are recoverable, but as it stands now there's no way the Xbox One will match Xbox 360 sales globally. I'm guessing we will see steep declines in interest in the new year and the Xbox One goes on to sell slightly more than Xbox 1 numbers.

inky

Oh Man, Xbox DRM fiasco or Sim City. Such a tough one.

I'll go with XBONE DRM and subsequent 180 because that has a bigger effect than whatever EA managed to fuck up this time. It's funny checking back on the past threads, EA always seem to get the runner-up spot in these things anyway, when they manage to crap on another beloved franchise, and this year it will be no exception.

Microsoft tho, oh boy. The sucked my will to ever buy another console anything from them, ever. I can't say that from EA just yet.

olimpia84

Xbox One DRM
It's one of the most interesting stories in gaming history. MS has the stage set after the great performance of the 360 and they completely drop the ball giving Sony the advantage. Not only that, but they completely backtrack and change their policies after all the criticism which is something that I thought I'd never ever see between competitors.

legacyzero

Banned
Xbox One.

BF4 issues can and will be fixed. As a matter of fact, I've been playing the game pretty regularly without issues past the first week.

COD: Ghosts is actually worse with 720p-gate, and the fact that it's such a mess on PC.

What's amazing is that you can't pinpoint a single thing of the Xbox One this year that was so terrible. It's just all of it.

The 180s, the DRM, the price, Adam Orth, 720p, "We have an offline console, it's called the Xbox 360", terrible Kinect 2.0 voice recognition, lack of actual Twitch streaming, even the @Xbox fake tweets from just days ago.

All of it combined makes the beautiful shit sandwich that is Microsoft's Xbox One launch.

I was torn between Adam Orth and SimCity, but the massive backlash against a major corporation's DRM plans for their new hardware and then reversing the change a month or so later is incredibly telling.

Xbox One reversal.

Concept17

What's amazing is that you can't pinpoint a single thing of the Xbox One this year that was so terrible. It's just all of it.

The 180s, the DRM, the price, Adam Orth, 720p, "We have an offline console, it's called the Xbox 360", terrible Kinect 2.0 voice recognition, lack of actual Twitch streaming, even the @Xbox fake tweets from just days ago.

All of it combined makes the beautiful shit sandwich that is Microsoft's Xbox One launch.

Top Bottom